Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2014, 04:19 PM   #16
Frozen2014
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtx View Post
What is the confusion? BTMRR has a higher height requirement, because it's faster and jerkier.
Got it now. I guess I had these backwards as I originally thought BTMRR was tamer (and didn't notice the height requirement)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZCubed View Post
Barnstormer is truly for little children. I would not waste my time unless you have a little child who has never experienced a roller coaster. Frankly, this is no better than a carnival ride.

If you can, the game plan should be to arrive at EPCOT at rope drop (when the Park opens) and go to one or the other. If coming thru front entrance, Test Track is closer; coming thru Gateway, Soarin' is closer. Anyway, go on which ever is closest to your arrival point and Fast Pass+ the other.
Awesome...thanks.. I will put Barnstormer back on the list for her. I had misunderstood.

We cannot make rope drop as we have breakfast ADR at Akershus at 9:15am. So guess we'll see the wait time for for Test Track and decide if we bother or not.

One other question then....if DD ends up not going on Big Thunder Mountain, what other rides are near that that would be ok. I kind of have our day starting in that corner (and had her going to Magic Carpets while DS was on Splash Mountain)...then heading over to Pirates of Caribbean, etc. But these are all probably along the same thrill / age group. So not sure what she would do if she skips Big Thunder.

Disney World Trip Report - Oct 2014
Frozen2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:20 PM   #17
jbish
Mouseketeer

As you can see from my signature, I have twin boys - on our last trip, they were about 3 weeks shy of their 4th birthday.

My one boy is more adventurous, slightly taller than his brother, and has always been more "athletic". He LOOOOOOOVES Test Track - still talks about it to this day. By far his favorite ride. He went on all of the thrill rides that he was tall enough for - Barnstormer, BTMRR, Splash. I think Splash is his second favorite ride.

My other boy is much more timid - but he's the kind of kid where he works up the fear much more in his mind that reality. He's like that with food even. He just doesn't like to try things. But we do "nudge" him a bit to try something at least once before writing it off completely. He did not like Barnstormer. I think he was okay with Soarin' and TT, but didn't want to try them again.

My daughter, at age 4, wouldn't try anything. (We did a lot of It's a Small World and Teacups that year.) But at almost-7, she did everything and loved it.

I would try some of the "easier" stuff to start and see how he does. I would think that Seven Dwarfs would be a good place to start - I'd be very interested to see how my 2nd boy would do on that one.

DVC (BLT)
Last trip: 11/2013 with the family and quick trip 2/2014 for PHM
jbish is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2014, 05:25 PM   #18
Frozen2014
DIS Veteran

Thanks. Jbisg, guess that shows bow it can really differ from child to child.

I may have to adjust our plans as I had us starting at Big Thunder and in that area on our first MK day.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:27 PM   #19
bigbabyblues
DIS Veteran

Splash and BTMRR are next to each other, but there aren't any other rides near them. Pirates and Magic Carpets aren't too far away, but not close, if that makes sense. When we had one too little to ride, one of us just hung out with them in the area until the others were back. It seems like there are a couple of shops in Frontierland she may enjoy looking around while you wait. There used to be a little play area at Splash Mtn also, near the restrooms, maybe?

Oh, both of mine have always loved Test Track. No problems with that one.
bigbabyblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:34 PM   #20
letsgoreds
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen2014 View Post
We cannot make rope drop as we have breakfast ADR at Akershus at 9:15am. So guess we'll see the wait time for for Test Track and decide if we bother or not.

\
If you can get there before rope drop (so near the front of the line), you could totally B-line it to Test Track and ride it before your 9:15 ADR. Test Track is near the back, and moves quickly at opening. Walk isn't that long/far to breakfast. You are losing precious early AM time with the breakfast, so knocking off a headliner before, is a great use of time!

If you are a few minutes late to Askerhaus, it isn't a big deal. It is an awesome ride. If you are concerned about jerkiness on that or BTMRR, know that you can put your arm around your LO. I wouldn't skip either one. Let them ride and decide for themselves if they like it : )
letsgoreds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:35 PM   #21
Frozen2014
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgoreds View Post
If you can get there before rope drop (so near the front of the line), you could totally B-line it to Test Track and ride it before your 9:15 ADR. Test Track is near the back, and moves quickly at opening. Walk isn't that long/far to breakfast. You are losing precious early AM time with the breakfast, so knocking off a headliner before, is a great use of time!

If you are a few minutes late to Askerhaus, it isn't a big deal. It is an awesome ride.
Never thought of that - or that it would be possible. Epcot doesn't open until 9am....so with a 9:15am ADR at Akershus, you think
  1. They could let us in early enough to get to the ride?
  2. There would be time to ride it and then head over for our ADR?

I heard it was a 15 minute walk or so just to the restaurant. But huge bonus if this is possible.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:41 PM   #22
etzmn123
Earning My Ears

I'll go ahead and ditto the others who said it depends on the kid. When I went with a 5yo, he went on everything he was tall enough for multiple times. Splash, Big Thunder, Space, Tower of Terror, Everest and absolutely loved them all. He was heartbroken that he was an inch too short for Rockin Rollercoaster. His sister, who was 10, was super freaked out before Splash, Everest(!), and Space but ended up loving them too. She wouldn't touch Tower of Terror though.

You can show her some ride videos on YouTube and see what she thinks, maybe she'll surprise you!
etzmn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:40 AM   #23
letsgoreds
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Never thought of that - or that it would be possible. Epcot doesn't open until 9am....so with a 9:15am ADR at Akershus, you think
  1. They could let us in early enough to get to the ride?
  2. There would be time to ride it and then head over for our ADR?

I heard it was a 15 minute walk or so just to the restaurant. But huge bonus if this is possible.
I would only try it with Test Track...Soarin' and SoAT take too long to get through. You will basically pass it during your walk also...I say go for it, and make a game-time decision depending on when they open the gates. I thought that usually Epcot was opened by 8:45 for a 9am posted opening...has that changed?

If you aren't familiar with easywdw...here is a link to his Epcot 'cheat sheet'. He has created one for each park. Great site...and he just published a book with another expert blogger.

http://www.easywdw.com/cheatsheets/e...easyguide2.pdf

Have fun!
letsgoreds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:27 AM   #24
Frozen2014
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgoreds View Post
I would only try it with Test Track...Soarin' and SoAT take too long to get through. You will basically pass it during your walk also...I say go for it, and make a game-time decision depending on when they open the gates. I thought that usually Epcot was opened by 8:45 for a 9am posted opening...has that changed?

If you aren't familiar with easywdw...here is a link to his Epcot 'cheat sheet'. He has created one for each park. Great site...and he just published a book with another expert blogger.

http://www.easywdw.com/cheatsheets/e...easyguide2.pdf

Have fun!
Thanks so much. First time at Disney so not sure how this all works. We would get a FP for Soarin so this is a good strategy for test Track if we can do it with out ADR. How long a walk is it from TT to Akershus? Doesn't look too far from the map but I have no concept of actual distance. And I assume to give about 10 min for the ride itself?

And yeah...for the other suggestion about You Tube. We haven't told our kids yet. I'm thinking telling them end of summer or September for our Oct trip, but will be after FP opens up.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:53 AM   #25
JJsmama
Becoming an accidental expert on resorts Far from The World!

My 6 yr old likes barnstormer. Has been riding it for a few years. Mostly he doesn't love the jerkiness of it though, but is not scared of it. Last year when he was 5 was his first year on TT and BTMR. He liked both of them. especially liked TT. I think he will like them better this year though bc my kids are always nervous and don't enjoy things fully the first time. If we get right back on, they love it.
Others you may be wondering about: Soarin and kali are both good for that age. Splash depends on the kid.
My youngest has not done T oT , RR , EE, Space or Dinosaur. He may try Space this summer.

Contemporary x 5 trips, Polynesian x 4 trips, Beach Club x 2 trip, Wilderness Lodge x 1 trip, Port Orleans R / FQ x 3 trips, All Stars Movies x 1 trip, Tokyo DisneyLand and Tokyo DisneySea x 1 trip, Disney Cruise line x 3 cruises

Animal Kingdom Lodge & Contemporary Here We Come! Summer 2014
JJsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:42 AM   #26
Indio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks so much. First time at Disney so not sure how this all works. We would get a FP for Soarin so this is a good strategy for test Track if we can do it with out ADR. How long a walk is it from TT to Akershus? Doesn't look too far from the map but I have no concept of actual distance. And I assume to give about 10 min for the ride itself?
It won't take very long. When you come out of Test Track, don't go back to the main walkway - cut thru the walkway that goes by the Odyssey on the left side of the lake. Norway is the 2nd pavilion. 5 to 10 minutes depending on how fast you can walk.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:46 AM   #27
TravelandLeisure
Earning My Ears

My 3.5 year old just barely made the height requirement for Test Track and BTMRR, but she enjoyed them both. Ironically, she initially refused to ride the Barnstormer; however when we tried again she loved it.
TravelandLeisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:06 PM   #28
jlsmith376
Mouseketeer

My DS 7 and DD 5 love barnstormer - they will ride it over and over. It is a kiddie coaster, but if your DD is timid it is much less intimidating than BTMRR.

My DS7 likes BTMRR but DD5 still refuses to get on. They both love Soarin and TT and started riding them when they were 4. Neither will ride EE, RnR or ToT.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:21 PM   #29
Winnowill
Mouseketeer

My daughter was almost six when we were there in April. We rode Test Track almost second thing we did the first day. At the beginning of the ride, when the vehicle jerks around an obstacle, she started to cry, and said, "I never want to ride this again!" When it went outside and started going fast, though, she loved it, and we ultimately rode it multiple times. She had the same reaction to Splash at DLR last year (you should see the progression in the pictures - from stark terror in the first one to euphoria by #6). She loved BTMRR and, after a little trepidation, EE as well.
Winnowill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:05 PM   #30
jtowntoflorida
Looking Like I Can't Really Afford To Go To Disney Since 2012!

This has been repeated ad nauseum in here, but the Barnstormer is definitely just a kiddie coaster. I know I've seen a picture of an emergency evacuation done on it...using a step ladder! I don't think the ride is much taller than 6 feet off the ground.
jtowntoflorida is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: