Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2014, 12:57 PM   #1
Frozen2014
DIS Veteran

Test Track and Others for 5 Year Old

Hi,

Coming to DW in October with DS9 and DD5. My DD is tall at 45" now so height is not a restriction. We've been to amusement parks in our city and surrounding areas, but she has stuck to pretty basic kiddy rides.

Originally I only had Test Track marked for my DS9, but I'm wondering if that would be ok for her too. I don't have any close rides (in proximity) marked for her while he would go on TT. Thoughts?
AS a note, we would use our FP on Soarin so would depend on the line up if we attempted it or not.

Also, let me know if any thoughts about Big Thunder Mountain (which I have it currently marked for her) and Barnstormer (which I currently only have marked for DS).

Thanks

Last edited by Frozen2014; 07-16-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Frozen2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:01 PM   #2
gtpoohbear
DIS Veteran

My 3yo DS, who is afraid of everything, loved TT and Barnstormer. They really aren't scary at all. And Barnstormer is much milder than BTMRR, so if you only want to do one, I would pick Barnstormer. BTMRR isn't too bad, we made the mistake though of taking DD (4 at time) on it for the first time in the dark, and it terrified her. By the time she was 6, she thought it was "boring", lol! I would at least give her a chance to try some of the bigger rides early on, and you'll get a pretty good idea of what she can handle.

All Trip Reports & Photo Albums are located here!
Previous Trips: 2008: Poly, Hilton GVC | 2010: CBR | 2012: ASMo | 2013: YC | 2014: AKL, AoA
Upcoming Trips: Oct 2014: POR | Dec 2014 - WL | July 2015 - ASMusic | Nov 2015 - FW Campground
gtpoohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2014, 01:03 PM   #3
tallguy001
Earning My Ears

We were just there last week, with our 3 year old (he just turned 4 this Monday). He is 44 inches (tall for his age), and enjoyed all of the rides you mentioned. He was hesitant at first, but became increasingly comfortable to the point of wanting to do nothing but the "fast" rides.
tallguy001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:13 PM   #4
Aurora0427
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen2014 View Post
Hi, Coming to DW in October with DS9 and DD5. My DD is tall at 45" now so height is not a restriction. We've been to amusement parks in our city and surrounding areas, but she has stuck to pretty basic kiddy rides. Originally I only had Test Track marked for my DS9, but I'm wondering if that would be ok for her too. I don't have any close rides (in proximity) marked for her while he would go on TT. Thoughts? AS a note, we would use our FP on Soarin so would depend on the line up if we attempted it or not. Also, let me know if any thoughts about Big Thunder Mountain (which I have it currently marked for her) and Barnstormer (which I currently only have marked for DS). Thanks
My 3 year old rode Barnstormer back in February at age 2.5. She cried when they made her get off. We did RD at MK one morning just so we could ride it over and over and over again. Start at BS, and go from there!
Aurora0427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:20 PM   #5
RedStars
Mouseketeer

My anxious 6yo (seriously, he has an anxiety disorder diagnosis) loved TT, thunder mountain and barnstormer. He did NOT like EE, but I think that's because it was dark.

My 2.5 yo loved barnstormer too!
RedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:28 PM   #6
TXPyroMom
Mouseketeer

We took our DD at 5.5 and she loved TT and Splash. We rode both several times. You didn't mention Splash, but I highly recommend it!

Space Mountain was too jarring for her. She didn't care for Everest or TT or Soarin', but the last two are because she doesn't like it when her stomach drops.

Barnstormer and BTMR were both down when we went that year, so she didn't experience either of those that year.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:38 PM   #7
Frozen2014
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpoohbear View Post
My 3yo DS, who is afraid of everything, loved TT and Barnstormer. They really aren't scary at all. And Barnstormer is much milder than BTMRR, so if you only want to do one, I would pick Barnstormer. BTMRR isn't too bad, we made the mistake though of taking DD (4 at time) on it for the first time in the dark, and it terrified her. By the time she was 6, she thought it was "boring", lol! I would at least give her a chance to try some of the bigger rides early on, and you'll get a pretty good idea of what she can handle.
Is Big Thunder Mountain in the dark?

Form other comments...I have Splash Mountain on the list for my DS. I think the big drop and getting wet like that would freak out my DD. Last summer, we were watching DS on a log flume type ride and she was scared of the splash....from the viewing point of view way back on the platform.

I don't have Space Mountain for either child.

What is EE?

Funny, as I thought Big Thunder Mountain would have been tamer than Barnstormer.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:40 PM   #8
ghtx
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It is (mostly) outside, so at night it is in the dark.

Quote:
What is EE?
Expedition Everest

Quote:
Funny, as I thought Big Thunder Mountain would have been tamer than Barnstormer.
Nope, other way around (although when my 5-year-old-at-the-time rode them, he was more scared by Barnstormer than by BTMRR)
Old 07-16-2014, 01:45 PM   #9
bigbabyblues
DIS Veteran

Big Thunder has a couple of 'caves', but you're only in them a couple seconds and you can see the loght at the other end. I don't consider it in the dark at all. Space Mountain is the one that is dark.

Barnstormer is in the former Toontown, and the height restriction is very low; I think both my kids were able to ride it by the time they were 3 years old. It is very, very short and geared for kids.

EE is Expedition Everest at Animal Kingdom. My kids love it, i haven't ridden it.

Big Thunder is our family's favorite.
bigbabyblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:57 PM   #10
gtpoohbear
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Form other comments...I have Splash Mountain on the list for my DS. I think the big drop and getting wet like that would freak out my DD. Last summer, we were watching DS on a log flume type ride and she was scared of the splash....from the viewing point of view way back on the platform.

I don't have Space Mountain for either child.

What is EE?

BTMRR is outside, so it's dark at night. I really don't think it would have scared DD so much if we had ridden it in the daytime. Live and Learn!

I would definitely recommend Space Mountain for the older one - it's been one of DD's favorites since she was 6. And mine too

Personally, I'm not a fan of Splash. DD likes it okay, but you have to not mind getting wet. EE is Expedition Everest, at AK. Again, a definite "do" (IMO) for the older one.

Barnstormer is in Fantasyland, and therefore tends to appeal to the younger crowd. Definitely an "entry-level" roller coaster. Both my kids love it, though!

All Trip Reports & Photo Albums are located here!
Previous Trips: 2008: Poly, Hilton GVC | 2010: CBR | 2012: ASMo | 2013: YC | 2014: AKL, AoA
Upcoming Trips: Oct 2014: POR | Dec 2014 - WL | July 2015 - ASMusic | Nov 2015 - FW Campground
gtpoohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:00 PM   #11
Frozen2014
DIS Veteran

Oh thank you. Now I understand the comment about dark...at night time.

And that explains why I didn't know what EE meant. Animal Kingdom is the one park we're not hitting so haven't researched those rides.

Now I'm confused about the Rollercoasters....Big Thunder and Barnstormer. Now when I look, the height requirement is only 35" for Barnstormer whereas 40" for Big Thunder. For some reason, I thought Big Thunder was faster and jerkier (thought I had read that).

And any more comments about Test Track? Is it too fast for a timid little one?
Old 07-16-2014, 02:02 PM   #12
ghtx
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Now I'm confused about the Rollercoasters....Big Thunder and Barnstormer. Now when I look, the height requirement is only 35" for Barnstormer whereas 40" for Big Thunder. For some reason, I thought Big Thunder was faster and jerkier (thought I had read that).
What is the confusion? BTMRR has a higher height requirement, because it's faster and jerkier.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:27 PM   #13
Altoqueenkelly
You gotta be original because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?

I think Test track is for sure appropriate for a five year old. My daughter adored it at 4. It is only fast at the very end, the inside is designed around the concept of test driving cars.

I would also say Barnstormer for sure. Not sure about BTMR, I actually dont like it because it reminds me of a wooden-type of coaster and I dont like the stomach butterflies it gives.... but my daughter loved it at age 4 as well.

The only rides in MK I wouldn't suggest for your kids are Stitch (thats for everyone to avoid, lol) and Space.

Countless Childhood trips to Ft. Wilderness*2003 Contemporary*2005 Port Orleans-Riverside*2009 Pop Century*2011 Pop Century*2014 AS-Sports
Altoqueenkelly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:33 PM   #14
deserrai
DIS Veteran

My 5 year old is very timid and doesn't like anything remotely scary. TT is the only iffy ride I've gotten her on that she somewhat liked. For reference, she hates soarin', BTMRR and Star Tours and won't even try Splash Mountain. So I would say Test Track is a good choice.

deserrai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:09 PM   #15
JZCubed
DIS Veteran

Big Thunder Mountain is the best roller coaster at Magic Kingdom and my 5 y.o. loves it.

7 Dwarfs would be next best - although, we've not been yet.

Barnstormer is truly for little children. I would not waste my time unless you have a little child who has never experienced a roller coaster. Frankly, this is no better than a carnival ride.

Splash Mountain is also excellent. The ride is something like 20 minutes of tame before the one big splash at the end.

I anticipate that our child will prefer Splash to 7 Dwarfs.

Test Track & Soarin' are both fun. Since we have a convertible, our daughter enjoys this more than Soarin'. Frankly, I'm not sure children can truly appreciate Soarin'.

If you can, the game plan should be to arrive at EPCOT at rope drop (when the Park opens) and go to one or the other. If coming thru front entrance, Test Track is closer; coming thru Gateway, Soarin' is closer. Anyway, go on which ever is closest to your arrival point and Fast Pass+ the other.

Akershus (3.0-stars* Food; 5* princess interaction). blueZoo (4.5* - Best (Sea) Food w/o jacket required), Boma (4.0* buffet breakfast*), Bongo's (3*), California Grill (3.5*food; 5*- Best View), Cape May Cafe (4* charcter breakfast w/ Goofy), Captain's Grille (2*), Chef Mickey's (2* food; 5* characters), Cinderella's Royal Table (2.5* food; 4* characters), Citrico's (3.5*), Coral Reef (3.5* food; 4.5* for the view), Crystal Palace (2*), 50's Prime Time Cafe (2.5*), Flying Fish (3.5*), Grand Floridian Cafe (3*), Hollywood Brown Derby (3*), House of Blues (3.5* - BBQ), Il Mulino (4*), Jiko (3.5*), Kouzinna (3.5* dinner; 4* breakfast), Le Cellier (3.5*), Les Chefs de France (3*), Marrakesh (3* - bit noisy; 4* belly dancers), Narcoossee's (3.5*), Rainforest Cafe (2*), Rose & Crown (2.5*), Sanaa (4.0*), Sci-Fi Theatre (2.5*), Shula's Steakhouse (4*), Sleepy Hollow (4* Qwik Serve chicken waffles & coffee drinks), Tamu Tamu (4* - Qwik Serve Hidden Gem) Victoria & Albert (5*- Best Service/Tasting Menu), Wave (3*), Yak & Yeti (1*)

On my 'to dine' list: Artist Point (Nov, 2014), Monsieur Paul (2015?), Ohana (2015?), Yachtman's Steakhouse (2015), & Spice Road (2015?).
JZCubed is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: