Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2014, 07:04 PM   #46
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethschroeder View Post
Norway....
http://findingarendelle.tumblr.com/Norway
http://campaign.visitnorway.com/en/u...orway/?id=3816

Disney is evening doing trips to Norway based on the film as well and using it to drive sales if I am not mistaken.
Interesting. Hans Christian Adersen never mentions Norway. Seems like a bit of ad hoc marketing. The tumblr article admits that it is fictional, so how can a fictional place definitely be a specific place?
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:53 PM   #47
Mickey'sApprentice
Shamelessly demand, it works better
DIS Veteran

We were there last week. We saw VOL and did not hear any newer songs. It was their traditional old americana songs. That being said, the "Frozen" craze is starting to get a bit much. I don't remember the founding fathers listening to "Let It Go" while signing the Declaration of Independence or the soldiers during WWII. Anyway, just my 10 cents.
Apr '92 Off Property (Honeymoon): Dec '94, Feb '02 CR: Jan '05 WL/POR: Nov '06, Jan '09 HHI: Apr '07: First Trip "Home" to BWV: Jan '08: BWV, Mar '09: POR/BWV: Jan. '10 POR/AKV (Jambo), July '10: POFQ/BCV: Dec '10 AKV (Kidani)/POR:Sep. '11 POR/BWV, Jan '12: POP, Apr '12: POR/BWV, Jan '13: Conference/WL, Jul "13:POR. Dec '13: DOL/BLT, Jul '14: BWV 40th B-day Trip Report

Mickey'sApprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2014, 08:06 PM   #48
SDSorority
I was traumatized as a child by Magic Journeys and The Haunted Mansion. **I have a LGMH with me at all times.** {Is it Podcast day yet??}

Location: The home of the Buckeyes! 975 Miles too far away from Epcot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'sApprentice View Post
We were there last week. We saw VOL and did not hear any newer songs. It was their traditional old americana songs. That being said, the "Frozen" craze is starting to get a bit much. I don't remember the founding fathers listening to "Let It Go" while signing the Declaration of Independence or the soldiers during WWII. Anyway, just my 10 cents.
Yeah, I agree with that too.
SDSorority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:56 PM   #49
OhhBother
Mouseketeer

I love VOL and make a point to catch at least one performance every trip. I also love Americana music -- my iTunes is filled with Will Kimbrough, Rodney Crowell, etc.

With that said, the addition of these new songs doesn't bother me at all. The thing I love most about VOL is the pure feeling of joy I experience when listening to them sing. The YouTube clip of their Let it Go performance delivered that same joy and brought a smile to my face. Can't beat that.
OhhBother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:38 AM   #50
summerlady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSorority View Post
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...ir-repertoire/

...ok guys. Flame suit is on, I'm ready.

I don't know about you, but it bothers me that VoL is adding non-patriotic songs to their rep. To me, it breaks the character of the pavilion. (Not to mention that Frozen takes place in Norway, but that's another story.) I think the Dapper Dans should do this instead of VoL.... what do you all think?
I couldn't agree with you more. (I am so sick and tired of Frozen anyway).

~Polynesian 1986~Many day trips from Mom & Dad's~Port Orleans March 2000~POFQ April 2008~POFQ May 2009~POFQ November 2009~POFQ November 2010~POFQ October 2011~POR October 2012~POFQ September 2013~POFQ March 2014~POFQ September 2014~POFQ September 2015~
summerlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:26 AM   #51
DVCcurious
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'sApprentice View Post
I don't remember the founding fathers listening to "Let It Go" while signing the Declaration of Independence or the soldiers during WWII.
That's because you weren't there. But I stumbled across an audio recording you may find very interesting:

Madison: I realize we're trying to start something new, here. But part of me misses some of the old connections to Great Britain.

Jefferson: We've all decided to try to separate from the King. Sure we'll all miss parts of our homeland, like high tea, but we've all got to learn to let it go.

Madison: Let it go? That sounds like a good idea for a song. Perhaps you should write one?

Jeffferson: I'm too busy with this Independence document. Perhaps you should write it?

Madison: I'm too busy writing the Federalist Papers. Perhaps we can get Benedict Arnold to write a song called "Let it go".

Jefferson: Why yes, Arnold is a good man. He'd never let us down.
DVCcurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:27 AM   #52
yulilin3
Disney Freak

First of all I'll add my name to the list of people that are tired of the Frozen thing. I loved the movie, loved the songs but I think it's enough already
With that said VoL doesn't only sing Patriotic Americana songs they also sing:
A Dream is a Wish your Heart Makes
Amazing Grace
When you Wish Upon a Star
I also agree that adding the Frozen song and the new songs is a way to get younger audiences inside
yulilin3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:46 AM   #53
Kellykins1218
DIS Veteran

I don't have a problem with them singing any Disney song. I do think their arrangement is awful & that was truly one of the worst versions of Let It Go I've ever heard. Love VOL but they missed the mark on this one.
Kellykins1218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:02 AM   #54
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

It seems strange to me. I did not particularly like it, and chuckled a bit.

Not a fan of this act.

bobbiwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:52 AM   #55
SDSorority
I was traumatized as a child by Magic Journeys and The Haunted Mansion. **I have a LGMH with me at all times.** {Is it Podcast day yet??}

Location: The home of the Buckeyes! 975 Miles too far away from Epcot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCcurious View Post
That's because you weren't there. But I stumbled across an audio recording you may find very interesting:

Madison: I realize we're trying to start something new, here. But part of me misses some of the old connections to Great Britain.

Jefferson: We've all decided to try to separate from the King. Sure we'll all miss parts of our homeland, like high tea, but we've all got to learn to let it go.

Madison: Let it go? That sounds like a good idea for a song. Perhaps you should write one?

Jeffferson: I'm too busy with this Independence document. Perhaps you should write it?

Madison: I'm too busy writing the Federalist Papers. Perhaps we can get Benedict Arnold to write a song called "Let it go".

Jefferson: Why yes, Arnold is a good man. He'd never let us down.
SDSorority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:22 AM   #56
The Eighth Dwarf
Mouseketeer

Don't know about you lot but I'm looking forward to the Off Kilter bagpipe version.

October 2011 Old Key west
The Eighth Dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:29 AM   #57
csjordan
Yearning for the Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eighth Dwarf View Post
Don't know about you lot but I'm looking forward to the Off Kilter bagpipe version.
That would be awesome!

csjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:36 AM   #58
Mitzicat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yulilin3 View Post
First of all I'll add my name to the list of people that are tired of the Frozen thing. I loved the movie, loved the songs but I think it's enough already
With that said VoL doesn't only sing Patriotic Americana songs they also sing:
A Dream is a Wish your Heart Makes
Amazing Grace
When you Wish Upon a Star
I also agree that adding the Frozen song and the new songs is a way to get younger audiences inside

Add my name too....I'm in the same boat. And I think VoL should be kept to Patriotic Americana songs when performing in at AA or HoP (if they perform there ever). With that said..if they want to perform more contemporary songs, have them perform outside the building in different costumes. To me it's about the whole scene (costumes and surroundings) that puts me in the mood. Seeing someone in a hoop skirt or a frock coats singing Let it Go...just doesn't seem right to me.
Mitzicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:21 AM   #59
DisUniversal
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
We are not discussing the preferences of a generic singing group, we are talking about a signature singing group, hired by Disney (and named by Disney, btw) to sing as part of the American Adventure attraction pre-show inside the signature USA World Showcase attraction.

If this was not part of a specific attraction, I don't think anyone would mind them changing the genre of tunes.

But, if Peter Pan's Flight suddenly dropped it's signature Pan tunes and started playing "Come Fly with Me" by Frank Sinatra, there would be some serious complaints that it is against the tradition of the attraction.

Attention to specific theming detail is a major Disney tradition.
Attention to specific theming detail WAS a major Disney tradition. If you want to find that attention to detail now, I think I can help....

http://www.bing.com/maps/#Y3A9MjguND...9wPTB+MH4wfg==

...that said, I think it's cool they're singing Let it Go. Most younger children would really enjoy hearing it as would many adults.
DisUniversal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:41 AM   #60
NYDisGuy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eighth Dwarf View Post
Yes, and Matsuriza will drum let it go. Mexico will have a Mariachi band play Let it Go. How else can Disney beat this to death?
NYDisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: