Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2014, 11:55 AM   #16
csjordan
Yearning for the Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwenMarie View Post
I think it's fine. I'm sure they sound awesome. It is an American song

I kind of see the reasons why it's not a great idea either. I think as long as it's at the end it's ok.
I hope they sing it while I'm in Epcot next month! Everyone in my party would love to hear it!

csjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:57 AM   #17
MrsPumpkin
Earning My Ears

As a Brit visiting and hearing VoL for the first time last summer, I really enjoyed the choir and the traditional American songs that they so beautifully sung. I couldn't even watch much more than the first few bars of Let It go sung by them...no, just no. N. O!
MrsPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2014, 12:01 PM   #18
Tarheel girl 1975
Supposed Former Fastpass Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
I agree. And just so this does not turn into a "Frozen" bash, I object equally to the singing of “You Raise Me Up,” “True Colors,” and “Somewhere Over the Rainbow" while at the AA Pavilion as well.

And by the way.....it is never mentioned or suggested that Arendelle is in Norway, is it? Could be any Scandanavian country. Or a purely fictitious place. So the notion that all things "Frozen" should be based in Norway isn't entirely accurate.
I don't think they specifically say, although I think that some of the buildings in the movie are very similar to the Stave church in Norway. I definitely get the impression is that is some Scandanavian kingdom and since Norway is the only Scandanavian country in World Showcase, it all gets lumped together. I'm not a fan of VOL doing contemporary music, but I don't like the new CM outfits at the AA pavillion either.
Previous Trips: 1990 Disneyland Hotel, 1991 Magic Music Days, 1996 Magic Music Days, Oct 2008 POP, May 2009 Poly, Sept. 2009 BWI, January 2011 CBR, Sept/Oct 2012 POR, Sept/Oct 2013 Beach Club, Sept/Oct 2014 POFQ and YC
Upcoming Trips: Oct 2015 POFQ
Tarheel girl 1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:02 PM   #19
Fantasia79
Mouseketeer

Frozen is great, don't get me wrong. I'm feeling like Disney is going a bit wild with this one. Sing alongs, parades, fireworks, rumors of maelstrom turning into a frozen ride....ugh

I hope this is a thing that will pass.

Voices of Liberty are a gem in disney parks. I hear them every time I go (except this spring when it was a jazz group; pictures in my trip report). Them adding on Let it Go is a bit much. When you wish upon a star, yup. I'm in. Let's not make them a jukebox for the current disney hits.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

My first trip report! Flower & Garden Birthday Spectacular
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post51003637

Grand Floridian 88, 89 Fort Wilderness Lodge 90, 94 Off-Site (with group as HS Band Member) 97
Off-Site (with group as HS Band Director) 03, 07, Dec 09, Dec 13 Polynesian Aug 09 Coronado Springs Aug 11 (30th Birthday) Caribbean Beach Jan 12 Beach Club Villas Mar 14
Fantasia79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:07 PM   #20
Cloudless Nights
DIS Veteran

Ugh… they sound great, but I agree it has no place here. I prefer to listen to all-Americana songs while in the AMERICAN Adventure.
** August 2010 - Caribbean Beach ** January 2011 - Caribbean Beach
** August 2011 - All-Star Sports ** August 2012 - Caribbean Beach
** January 2013 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ** May 2013 - All-Star Music **August 2013 - Pop Century
** August 2014 - Boardwalk Villas/Kidani Village ** January 2015 - Pop Century (NAVC conference)
** June 2015 - Boardwalk Villas/Bay Lake Tower - Theme Park View!
Cloudless Nights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:21 PM   #21
W.E.D.
Haunted Mansion junkie

Agree 100%. Another movie tie-in destroying a pavillion at EPCOT.

Yes. Destroying is a strong word. I'm just sick of movie overlays, etc. in a park that was all about science and culture. UGH! [end rant]
...hurry back......hurry back......be sure to bring your death certificate.
W.E.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:21 PM   #22
Luv Bunnies
DIS Veteran

Well, here's another view. If you're going to be a Voices of Liberty "purist," why not be a Dapper Dans "purist" as well? As a barbershop quartet, it can be argued that they should stay true to the barbershop style. That includes not only the type of music, but also the composition, type of chords, etc. While "Let it Go" can be arranged in four-part harmony, it's not a "true" barbershop song.

But, the truth is that these groups perform in theme parks. They could limit themselves to patriotic, Americana, or traditional barbershop, but it wouldn't necessarily be practical. They have to stay relevant and appeal to the masses.

I do agree that the parks are on Frozen overload right now. But as long as people want it, that's what they're going to get.
Luv Bunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:34 PM   #23
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
So is "Dude Looks Like A Lady", but I don't need to hear VoL sing it at the AA Pavilion. (Or anywhere else for that matter.)
Now, that there is funny! And spot on.

VOL can do the most beautiful rendition in the world, but its still not appropriate at that venue. Enough with the Frozen overload already. Talk about saturating the market....
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:46 PM   #24
ParrotBill
A parrot's life for me
Stalked by a little Einstein

Quote:
So is "Dude Looks Like A Lady", but I don't need to hear VoL sing it at the AA Pavilion. (Or anywhere else for that matter.)

Now THAT I'd like to hear. But just once.

BWV and OKW DVC since 1996, 40+ WDW, 2 DL, 1 DLP visits

ParrotBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:01 PM   #25
Cloudless Nights
DIS Veteran

I submitted a comment on the parks blog about an hour ago stating how, in my opinion, the song didn't really fit the rest of their repertoire and the venue, and it wasn't posted. But two comments stating how excited they were about it are there.
** August 2010 - Caribbean Beach ** January 2011 - Caribbean Beach
** August 2011 - All-Star Sports ** August 2012 - Caribbean Beach
** January 2013 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ** May 2013 - All-Star Music **August 2013 - Pop Century
** August 2014 - Boardwalk Villas/Kidani Village ** January 2015 - Pop Century (NAVC conference)
** June 2015 - Boardwalk Villas/Bay Lake Tower - Theme Park View!
Cloudless Nights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:06 PM   #26
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Just for the record:

While they do not say in the movie that Arendelle is in the Norway, it is based on that.

Arendelle which means something like *Village below the mountains* is a combination of the cultures and customs of Arendal and Bergan, both city ports in Norway.

I also feel the VOL should stay with American patriotic songs.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:07 PM   #27
Mad Hattered
I had a stick of CareFree gum, but it didn't work. I felt pretty good while I was blowing that bubble, but as soon as the gum lost its flavor, I was back to pondering my mortality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudless Nights View Post
I submitted a comment on the parks blog about an hour ago stating how, in my opinion, the song didn't really fit the rest of their repertoire and the venue, and it wasn't posted. But two comments stating how excited they were about it are there.
If I had a dollar for every negative post that wasn't posted on that blog then I could easily afford a one day park admission. If you don't kiss their *** then it doesn't get posted.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:08 PM   #28
Chief Powhatan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I agree. And just so this does not turn into a "Frozen" bash, I object equally to the singing of “You Raise Me Up,” “True Colors,” and “Somewhere Over the Rainbow" while at the AA Pavilion as well.

And by the way.....it is never mentioned or suggested that Arendelle is in Norway, is it? Could be any Scandanavian country. Or a purely fictitious place. So the notion that all things "Frozen" should be based in Norway isn't entirely accurate.
Maybe it takes place in Arendelle, Minnesota

Fort Wilderness - 2013,2012,2011,2010,2007,2006,2005
All Star Sports - 2001

Last edited by Chief Powhatan; 07-16-2014 at 01:09 PM. Reason: spelling error
Chief Powhatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:20 PM   #29
BrianL
Doom Buggy Driver

I dunno, it's not that big of a deal to me. It's just a little something unexpected and fun and sure to put a smile on the face of those listening. I mean, after a while, any musical group is going to tire of singing the same songs over and over again. Let them have a little fun with it.

Lifetime WDW Visits: 6 (Plus 1 DL)
When leaving Disney, heed the advice of the Ghost Hostess and...
"Hurry Baaaack! Hurry Baaaack!"
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:37 PM   #30
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night

Was there the same mania with Lion King et al? People going around singing Just Can't Wait To Be King/Circle Of Life/Hakuna Matata constantly and Lion King everywhere in the parks??

Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015
Trip reports! :: No Faith in Google Maps, Trust and Pixie Dust! ~ Ohana Means Family, Family Means Dad is Left Behind For A Girly Trip! ~ The One Where I Finally Ride Splash????

Sparkly is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: