Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2014, 07:02 PM   #1
Hicks5397
Earning My Ears

Parks Before or After??

We're planning our first cruise next year. What is your opinion, should we visit the parks before or after the cruise?
Hicks5397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:13 PM   #2
pgbear
Earning My Ears

Before. Makes the relaxation of the cruise amplified.
pgbear is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-15-2014, 09:46 PM   #3
Hicks5397
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgbear View Post
Before. Makes the relaxation of the cruise amplified.
That's what I was thinking too. But, I thought I could get some pros & cons from those who have already experienced it.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:57 PM   #4
WDWJonasGirl
Mouseketeer/Directioner

After. This way, you don't have to rush heading home

Kaitlin: Lover of 5 Seconds of Summer, One Direction, Jonas, and Concerts
WDW: 5/03, 4/06, 12/06, 7/09, 8/10, 6/14, 7/14 DLR: Too Many To Count DCL: 1/07, 7/09, 8/11, 8/12, 6/14 DLP: 6/13
WDWJonasGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:42 PM   #5
Kurukthemal
Earning My Ears

IMHO - I would suggest cruise afterwards. The cruise is soooo much better than the parks that you would be disappointed the otherwise. You won't regret it!
Kurukthemal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:21 PM   #6
Hicks5397
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurukthemal View Post
IMHO - I would suggest cruise afterwards. The cruise is soooo much better than the parks that you would be disappointed the otherwise. You won't regret it!
That sounds like good advise. It would be such a great feeling as we are leaving WDW, which we love, to know we are about to experience something even more spectacular!
Old 07-16-2014, 07:27 PM   #7
Woodmnky
DIS Veteran

I generally say parks first & then cruise, but since you don't list who will be traveling with you I will add this additional thought.

I have a 3.5 yo who loves WDW more than just about anything. If I were to take him to the parks and then try to confine him to a ship he would bug me to death for the cruise asking to go to the parks.

If I were to take him on a cruise first he would love the cruise and would be delighted by getting to go to the parks as well.

Unless you think this will be an issue, I say go to the parks and then spend time relaxing on the ship.
Woodmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:04 PM   #8
BLTtinkerbell
DIS Veteran

I have been trying to figure this out too. I wasn't sure if we should split it and go to WDW 2 days before and then two days after cruise.

BLTtinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:21 PM   #9
Hicks5397
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodmnky View Post
I generally say parks first & then cruise, but since you don't list who will be traveling with you I will add this additional thought. I have a 3.5 yo who loves WDW more than just about anything. If I were to take him to the parks and then try to confine him to a ship he would bug me to death for the cruise asking to go to the parks. If I were to take him on a cruise first he would love the cruise and would be delighted by getting to go to the parks as well. Unless you think this will be an issue, I say go to the parks and then spend time relaxing on the ship.
Sorry I didn't post the cast: me, DH, DD (16), DS (13) & DS (7). I think my kids will be fine with a couple days in the parks and then the cruise. But, I'm still waiting to see what all suggestions I get before I make mind up.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:27 PM   #10
Hicks5397
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTtinkerbell View Post
I have been trying to figure this out too. I wasn't sure if we should split it and go to WDW 2 days before and then two days after cruise.
I think we'll go to WDW 2 days before the cruise. Then, we'll be ready to relax on the cruise.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:02 PM   #11
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

Go to the parks first. Kids will NOT be board following on the following cruise. There are many things for the kids and adults to do on board. There will be character meets and plenty of other great things to do. To me it is two very different experiences. By the way, you will appreciate the cruise after the parks as well. You can push yourselves at the park knowing you have a cruise coming. Enjoy!

2014 - 4 Cruises: 2-Dream (B2B), 1-Fantasy, 1-Magic
2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

Magic-7, Wonder-5, Dream-7, Fantasy-3
3 Day Cruises = 4, 4 Day Cruise = 7, 7 Day Cruises = 9, 8 Day Cruises = 2, B2B Cruises = 4, Grand Slam (4 ships 1 year) = 1 (so far)

Upcoming Cruises:
(23) 7 Night Eastern Caribbean Fantasy - 12/14
(24) 7 Night Fantasy - 10 Hawaii - Disney Wonder 2015
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:14 PM   #12
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

I used to say before, but now I am going to say after having been on a couple cruises. The cruise, IMO, is SOOOO much better than the parks. But maybe I am jaded from living here with an AP that gets used often.

I would say do the cruise first, because if you do it after, you will be so sad knowing you have to go home. But if you have the parks left, you will know your vacation isn't finished and you have more in store. By the time you finish the parks, you'll be so tired you'll WANT to go home! lol
Old 07-18-2014, 07:56 PM   #13
cozmo
Earning My Ears

We did a 4 day Dream cruise, followed by 4 days at the parks in June, 2012. I think we would have liked it better if we did it the other way around (still a fantastic time though) Although Disneyworld, Epcot, Universal were great, it was very HOT and very crowded, and not as relaxing as the cruise. Any time we were sweating in a long line at one of the parks, I kept thinking we should have done the cruise second....
cozmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:25 PM   #14
Kim1964
Was intimidated by her bug, but don't worry she's conquered it!

On our first cruise we did a 4 night Dream and 3 nights at Universal. I was fine on the ship, no motion sickness, but it took me a week to get my land legs back. Walking around Universal feeling like the ground was tilting was unpleasant.
Kim1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:18 PM   #15
BLTtinkerbell
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmo View Post
We did a 4 day Dream cruise, followed by 4 days at the parks in June, 2012. I think we would have liked it better if we did it the other way around (still a fantastic time though) Although Disneyworld, Epcot, Universal were great, it was very HOT and very crowded, and not as relaxing as the cruise. Any time we were sweating in a long line at one of the parks, I kept thinking we should have done the cruise second....

We were going to split it and go 2 nights at WDW, 4 night cruise, 2 nights at WDW. We decided to go to WDW for four nights and then 4 night cruise. I am looking forward to it!

BLTtinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: