Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2014, 03:29 PM   #31
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
Are you going this August? If so, you are not going for the free dinning since your stay cannot start before 8/31/14.
Maybe she is Canadian. Free dining for Canadians begins Aug. 17th.
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:33 PM   #32
nugov2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momjo View Post
Hi everyone and thanks for clicking on my post - extra thanks if you reply!

My family of 4 is planning a trip the third week of August (no wiggle room on this week due to our teaching schedules). Kids 7 & 10 and a husband who is breaking his vow to never visit Disney. I talked him into it - score one for me! Since this is our first and likely last trip, I want to make sure it a) is awesome for my kids, b) potentially converts my spouse into a Disney-lover or at least makes him say "that was worth it" and c) is not a budget breaker.

We're going for the free dining plan (to top it off my husband is celiac) and have narrowed it down (I use the term 'narrowed' very loosely) to the following options, from least expensive to most:

Caribbean Beach
Coronado Springs (by a few bucks)
Art of Animation themed family suite)
Fort Wilderness Cabin
Boardwalk Villas (about $1,200 more than CBR - is this worth it?)
Saratoga Springs - yep now we're getting up there
Beach Club Villas

As you can see, I am very indecisive. I was all set for CBR, but if it's our only trip, should I go big? Or will we barely be in our rooms since we want to squeeze it all in? A bit of background - we usually camp so are used to 'roughing it', as well as quiet vacations (which I know isn't realistic at DW!), and we like hanging by a pool (who doesn't? haha).

Thanks again for reading this whole post and for any help you can provide!

Jo
If it were me and I was convincing DH I'd stay deluxe. He will never go back if you stay value or mod b/c they are just OK motel/hotels and it will add to his list of reasons why he won't go back...at least that is how my dh is when it comes to WDW. He isn't a fan and if I had him stay there he would complain about how bad the accommodations were for the price LOL. Values and mods are much louder, far from the parks and the WDW transportation can be brutal. Waits to leave the parks can be very long. If you truly think this is your only trip and you can afford it I'd go all out anyway, but if the trip is amazing(and deluxe will help with that) maybe your DH will have a change of tune
nugov2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-15-2014, 03:50 PM   #33
Eeyore's Wife
DIS Veteran

So you want your husband to LOVE Disney. Stay at AoA in a suite.

You will have a bedroom for the parents, complete with locking door and en suite bathroom. The privacy and romance possible with a real door will make your husband like Disney far more than a "Deluxe" accommodation combined with involuntary celibacy.

When you add in the kids each getting their own bed, not sharing, and two bathrooms, and two televisions, I PROMISE it is the best option to impress your husband.

The Food Court there is great with Celiac issues. They had gluten free waffles and burger buns when we were there. Chefs there were awesome, and all around Disney World.

Last, the Big Blue pool, with underwater music, was a hit with all my kids, even my 17 year old son.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:41 PM   #34
sndral
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover99 View Post
Maybe she is Canadian. Free dining for Canadians begins Aug. 17th.
Ah hah, this is why Dis is so great - someone always knows every possible explanation.
I like the DP too as it's paid for before I go - but I know it doesn't save money for me and since OP is only 1 month away from her trip there may not be a lot of ADRs left, especially at popular places.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:02 PM   #35
Jenn55
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Hi everyone and thanks for clicking on my post - extra thanks if you reply! My family of 4 is planning a trip the third week of August (no wiggle room on this week due to our teaching schedules). Kids 7 & 10 and a husband who is breaking his vow to never visit Disney. I talked him into it - score one for me! Since this is our first and likely last trip, I want to make sure it a) is awesome for my kids, b) potentially converts my spouse into a Disney-lover or at least makes him say "that was worth it" and c) is not a budget breaker. We're going for the free dining plan (to top it off my husband is celiac) and have narrowed it down (I use the term 'narrowed' very loosely) to the following options, from least expensive to most: Caribbean Beach Coronado Springs (by a few bucks) Art of Animation themed family suite) Fort Wilderness Cabin Boardwalk Villas (about $1,200 more than CBR - is this worth it?) Saratoga Springs - yep now we're getting up there Beach Club Villas As you can see, I am very indecisive. I was all set for CBR, but if it's our only trip, should I go big? Or will we barely be in our rooms since we want to squeeze it all in? A bit of background - we usually camp so are used to 'roughing it', as well as quiet vacations (which I know isn't realistic at DW!), and we like hanging by a pool (who doesn't? haha). Thanks again for reading this whole post and for any help you can provide! Jo
My son, who was almost 8 at the time and myself went for what was supposed to be our one and only trip jan 2014 (now planning for dec 2015 with the SO as well). Personally because of the type of trip that it was, jan 2-11 with 2 day trips to universal, he's a massive HP fan. And his age, I decided on a split stay. I wanted to go all out without having to overly break the bank. We did 2-9 at all star movies and requested (and got) the toy story building and then did 9-11 at AOA cars suite. I wanted him to have the 'disney' experience where disney basically throws up on you, from the massive figures at all star movies or the amazing grounds and suites at AOA I wanted him to be immersed in all of that. He loved it so I'm glad I went that way. Next time around we're looking at POR as this trip is more of a family trip, SO's first trip, and not so much a trip solely for my sin, who will be almost 10. I would love to stay at AKL with the savannah view but it's just not in the budget this time around.

Any choice u make will be fine, but from your list, I'm a fan of AOA. HAPPY PLANNING!!!
Jenn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:02 PM   #36
tennessee
Mouseketeer

just a warning, talked my husband into going to Disney 5 years ago, Kicking all the way and complaining about price, long waits and anything else to keep from going. Well he is in love now with the place, he would go every month if he could. Disney is the only vacation he wants now.Whatever you pick, have fun and don't make to many plans.
tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:05 PM   #37
disney meema
DIS Veteran

I'd pick Art of animation suite and just pay a bit more over free dining and get the disney dining plan with 1 TS,1 QS and 1 snack per day. I think this would still be far less than a deluxe resort and give you a private bedroom and 2 bathrooms as well as a great theme pool. For my husband he would prefer the extra room in one of the suites since most of our non disney travel is at embassy suites where it's nice to have that extra space : )
disney meema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:52 PM   #38
LJSquishy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I never thought of that perspective - we really won't be spending a whole day at the resort so it does make sense to just go with what works as far as sleeping, eating and the occasional swim.

My only worry about Coronado Springs is there is a dental conference on at the same time - which might be good if I forget my toothbrush but wonder about the 'busy-ness' of it?
CSR is actually great to stay at during conventions because they are cooped up all day, meaning the buses are less full! Food locations can get busy in the early morning and the bar area is noisier at night, but I think you would love it there (especially your husband).

CSR isn't so in-your-face Disney which is what I liked about it. The kids would love the pool...it has one of the best slides. Your husband would like the more relaxing feel of the resort if he likes quiet. It's a good atmosphere to go back to after a day in the parks.

Art of Animation would be amazing for your kids, but your husband might go nuts...it's bright, loud, and has LOTS of kids (obviously). Its theming is awesome but not relaxing like CSR. Even I would love to stay there and I don't have kids!...but I wouldn't enjoy a week there I don't think.

I wouldn't splurge for a Deluxe resort if you're wanting to stay in a certain budget. Since you aren't planning a lot of down time at your resort I don't think it's worth spending $1,000+ extra in your case just for the room.

Me-30: -&- DH-34:
LJSquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:34 PM   #39
Redarrow5150
DIS Veteran

Well if your husband is not a fan of Disney I would check off Art of Animation from your list. I would accommodate the resort for him since you and your family will get your fill of "Disney" everywhere else and the kids will have fun in any of the pools you choose. If he likes to exercise or workout than Coronado is something to consider. I think CBR having refurb would have me leaning toward Fort Wilderness Cabins if you like the camping motif.
Redarrow5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:55 PM   #40
tigertirz
Earning My Ears

Disney was great with my celiac husband!

I can't speak about the resorts as we have only been once and stayed at Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom. Both of those were fabulous. The Disney restaurants were great for my husband! Almost every restaurant carries GF bread and the restaurant at Typhoon Lagoon hand breaded chicken fingers for us. It was wonderful! They were truly accommodating and knowledgable. Good luck with your trip!!!
tigertirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:14 PM   #41
lampshadehead
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore's Wife View Post
So you want your husband to LOVE Disney. Stay at AoA in a suite.

You will have a bedroom for the parents, complete with locking door and en suite bathroom. The privacy and romance possible with a real door will make your husband like Disney far more than a "Deluxe" accommodation combined with involuntary celibacy.

When you add in the kids each getting their own bed, not sharing, and two bathrooms, and two televisions, I PROMISE it is the best option to impress your husband.

The Food Court there is great with Celiac issues. They had gluten free waffles and burger buns when we were there. Chefs there were awesome, and all around Disney World.

Last, the Big Blue pool, with underwater music, was a hit with all my kids, even my 17 year old son.
This is just what I wanted to post myself!
Also, let me add the convenience of the microwave and fridge. I packed some noodles, mac and cheese cups, etc. and it helps save on snacks and walking to food court for something when you just want to relax.
lampshadehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:39 PM   #42
pinkangel460
Mouseketeer

So, first of all - other posters mentioned that free dining doesn't start until the end of August and someone else said you may live in Canada - so I am going ton the assumption that you do like in Canada and you have checked to make sure these hotels are available....

I would NOT do a moderate or a deluxe that offers a free dining plan simply because, unless you have made your dining reservations, you may not get the places you want to eat. A regular dining plan is great when you know you want to sit down and each a bunch of table service (restaurant type meal), but with people able to book these 6 months before their trip, you are about a month out and the "great" places may be picked over.

I would pick AoA - my kids loved it and it offers the quick service dining plan, which means no need to make restaurant reservations. You can makes 2-3 restaurant reservations if you want and pay out of pocket, without worrying about finding a week's worth of reservations.

If you are not Canadian and can't get free dining, I would totally book a deluxe with a room discount, but not a villa. Of your choices I would do beach club - but non of your deluxe choices are really "kid themed." So, for the magic of Disney and the whole experience, I would suggest Animal Kingdom Lodge - but again, it is not on your list.
pinkangel460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:30 PM   #43
Trip planner
Mouseketeer

CSR is a great deal with free dining

We have stayed at WL twice, CSR and CBR. After staying at CSR with free dining hubby said it would be hard to justify deluxe again since we are never in our room. And while CSR was not quite as nice, we saved a lot of money. The grounds at the resort were very pretty too. CSR is a great deal with free dining. Hubby was more willing to spend money on other things (fun drinks, etc) since we spent less on our room.

If you have a room only discount, I would probably go deluxe if the difference isn't too great. That is how I ended up at WL the first time.
Trip planner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:43 PM   #44
momjo
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BebopBaloo View Post
Chiming in on food sensitivities- I haven't had to deal with Celiac issues, but I do have to avoid other things. Disney is by far the most accommodating place for food allergens/etc. When you make your dining reservations - note on each reservation that your husband is celiac. A chef will help you at each restaurant and they are absolutely super about it. As for counter service restaurants, a manager will be able to help you. Every counter service place is equipped with an ingredients notebook. Animal Kingdom even has it's own kiosk now for helping those with dietary restrictions. It provides information on the various places to eat within that park, as well as providing snacks that are free of the common ingredients that folks have sensitivities to.

The third week of August will be busy, but probably not as intense as July. Just make a plan with your FP+ and go with the flow. I think a good idea is to figure out what each member of your family really wants to do in each park - maybe their top 2 or 3 attractions. Make sure you have those covered and then just let the rest of trip happen as it may. There is soooo much to do that it's impossible to do it all in one trip. Don't even try. You'll be miserable trying. Everyone will probably have a better time if they can check off their 'must do' and then just enjoy whatever else happens.

Have a great trip! I hope it all works out just the way you want it to!

Thank you for the tip about restaurant reservations wit the celiac heads up! I wouldn't have thought of that. I also appreciate your advice about just getting the top 2 or 3 for everyone in and not stressing about squeezing stuff in - it's supposed to be fun after all. Thank you!!!!!
momjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:51 PM   #45
momjo
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebee View Post
Hi Jo-

I have a husband who is NOT a huge Disney fan, although he's been several times with us. Going to Disney with DH often makes me nervous; I am walking on thin ice as it is, and don't want to do anything to make him more anti-Disney, so I understand your concerns around this with your husband. I, personally, would NOT go BIG on this trip at all. If you guys are comfortable sharing a queen bed and having your kids share a queen bed, by all means stick to either CBR or CS. Both resorts are lovely, and honestly, that $1200 difference between these and BWV is a BIG difference, and could be a touchy subject with your husband. You want to make him see that Disney can be fun and affordable, and spending $1200 on a little bit bigger room would NOT sit well with my DH! Think about what $1200 can buy- park tickets for all, or airfare for all, meals for most of a week; I would not "waste" it on hotel space that you probably won't even spend very much time in!! Although we haven't stayed at CBR, we HAVE stayed twice at Coronado Springs and loved it. The rooms there are slightly larger than the other mod rooms, and the pools are fun- great slide, pyramid waterfall, etc. I'm not sure I'd even consider spending the $$$ on an AoA suite, if you think a single room will meet your needs (it's significantly removed from camping- trust me!). I would seriously NOT spend the extra money on the hotel… especially if free dining isn't available for your dates.

Food- Are you SURE the meal plan is available for your dates? Also, are you sure you can get it for CS or AoA? If so, staying at a moderate will be better than a value, as you'll get the DDP instead of the QSDP. Although DDP only gives you two meals a day (one counter/quick service, one table service), DIsney portions are often generous. DD and I always share a bounty platter or whatever at breakfast, and often a lunch, too, so we aren't paying OOP for that 3rd meal of the day. It's more than doable, and will help keep your costs down, too.

If you are flying, you won't need a rental car. You can take DME from the airport and use the Disney bus system to get around. While I don't LOVE the buses, it's nice to be able to point out to DH the money we are saving because we don't have to rent a car to visit WDW!
Thank you leebee! I sense my dh is like yours and would appreciate the money savings over the star rating. The free dining is avail at CSR - I guess for Canadians that starts on August 17 for some reason. And thanks for the info on sharing platters - that's a good tip! We sometimes do that here when we're on holidays.

I'm glad we won't need a rental car. The DME - I'm guessing that means Disney Magic Express? That is awesome if that's available! I'm so excited. Even if my dh isn't. I hope he likes it!
momjo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: