Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2014, 09:03 PM   #16
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Back on topic - thank you to those who have responded with their current experiences. It's unfortunate that Disney has changed this, but it helps to know for certain what their new policy is. Thanks!

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009, April 2010 (F&W Festival!),
April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (Yacht Club, F&W adults only trip!)
Angel Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:15 PM   #17
btk2333
Just passed ROFR BCV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Ariel View Post
All I am going to say is that it wasn't "double dipping." 1 person rode in the FP lane with a FP ticket, the second person rode with a RS ticket. The RS was the FP for the second person, as it was redundant (when using FPs) for the second person to have a RS *and* a FP.

Just to clarify what I mean...for us, it is just DH and I and DD. DD is 2 (32.5"), so too short for every height requirement ride. If DH rode Space Mtn using his FP while DD and I waited (say we're shopping), and then DH came back and took DD so I could ride space, why would I need a RS if I am also required to have a FP (since DH had used a FP)? There's no need to have 2 of the same thing.

Though I suppose what this could end up doing is *actually* creating double dipping. If I'm required to have a FP+ for DH to ride in the FP lane and get a RS pass, why wouldn't I use the FP+ upon DH's return and then keep the RS pass for later, since there's no time limit on it? Or switch my FP+ once DH returns (assuming availability)? I actually see a lot more potential for "abuse" of this than there would be to just give the second person a RS pass w/o requiring the second person have a FP+.
As I said, I haven't actually used the new system or the old system- I'm just passing on what I've heard that both parents need to have a FP+ to use Rider swap. The other option is to ride standby and use the Rider Swap to skip the line for the second parent. With regard to your last paragraph- I think someone else reported that they scanned your FP+ before giving you any RS pass; therefore, you couldn't use your FP+ later or change your FP+ because it was marked as used prior to getting the RS pass.
Register to remove

Old 07-15-2014, 09:17 PM   #18
practicallyperfect77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Ariel
Back on topic - thank you to those who have responded with their current experiences. It's unfortunate that Disney has changed this, but it helps to know for certain what their new policy is. Thanks!
I read the policy on Disney's site and it didn't say anything about both parties needing FP+. Curious tho....if you scan your band at the first stop to show the CM you have it booked, can you then just change it to something else? I am under the assumption it only uses it once you go through the 2nd checkpoint. I have no clue if that is still true but fairly certain it was back in Dec, but I obviously know lots has changed.since then.
practicallyperfect77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:40 PM   #19
wn01aa
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard1 View Post
From my experience the last 2 weeks of June, all memebers of a party were required to have the FP when wanting a Rider Swap if the first party was entering through the FP line. I do not have experiences at all rides, since my littlest is a little above 40". However, at rides such as Space Mountain, they were having ALL members of the party scan their bands at the FP entrance PRIOR to giving out Rider Swap tickets.
Did they see if the small child not riding had a FP+ for the ride. I wouldn't think he/she would need one since they are not planning on riding it at all.
wn01aa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:48 PM   #20
adventurous6
Earning My Ears

For those of you who have experienced cm's requiring more than the initial riders to have fastpasses...Are they requiring just the adults (the one riding first and the one riding second) to have the fastpasses or every single person (every child as well) in the party?

Does this seem to be the implementation of a new policy or just a few cm's here and there that have decided to interpret the rule differently?

What rides were you on when the cm's had everyone in the party scan?

Planning my first trip and it's so frustrating to read about how something works in countless planning books and then come on these boards and find that the books are already outdated and things are changing at Disney. (but I'm really thankful I can get on here and get additional info )
adventurous6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:24 PM   #21
TheLittles
Mouseketeer

It just seems so complicated. I thought that honestly you just walked up to the CM and said hey we want to do rider switch (with a 2 yr old in hand) and they gave it to you....end of story.

Looking forward to Sept 2014 at YC!!

Lcpl. Corey Little 1986-2012.....with us in spirit everywhere we go! Your girls love you.
Disney is my escape from reality. Disney is my bliss!
TheLittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:28 PM   #22
Ava
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Ariel View Post
See..that link says they heard of it happening once under legacy FP-, but not since FP+. My experience has been the opposite...CMs didn't require the 2nd rider group to have FPs under the legacy system, but I am seeing *more* reports now that CMs are checking the entire group's MBs for a FP+ when they go to obtain the RS pass. This is why I'm concerned.
Read the bottom paragraph... it seems (at least as far as wdwuntangled can tell) that there is no official policy regarding how the combination of FP+ and Rider Switch should be used. It's apparently been up to CM discretion. Perhaps during the high crowd times of summer they've started checking that everyone has a FP+.

It's frustrating that there's no policy. We have 2 adults, a 44" tall 5yo, and a 1yo. There are two instances (in parks with a lot of height-restricted rides) where we were planning to FP+ a RS-eligible ride for just two of us, and get a RS pass for the other adult (and 5yo to ride again if she wants). This is what was being reported as the way things worked a few months ago when I started planning this trip. Disney needs to create a policy for these types of things so its consistent across the board.

It's also not really fair for children who are too little for the height-restricted rides, but old enough to have to pay for a park ticket, to miss out on using their own FP+ (or for one parent to miss out on all the headliners in order to take their little one on other rides).

1983 (age 3) - Buena Vista Palace
1988 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
1991 - Offsite
1997 - All-Star Music
2002 - All-Star Music
2004 - All-Star Movies
April 2006 - All-Star Music (1st Trip with DW!)
May 2011 - POP Century (DD1's 1st Trip!)
Sept 2014 - Caribbean Beach (DD2's 1st Trip!)

Ava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:35 PM   #23
wn01aa
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLittles View Post
It just seems so complicated. I thought that honestly you just walked up to the CM and said hey we want to do rider switch (with a 2 yr old in hand) and they gave it to you....end of story.
That is exactly how it worked when I went this past Christmas. I walked up to a ride with my 3 children and wife (1 child only 2 and too small to ride anything over 35") and asked for a rider swap ticket and after looking at my daughter, the cm gave me a ticket and then either myself or wife would take the other 2 children on the ride. I did this at every rider swap ride and it work just like this every time. Am sad that it is becoming more complicated and at the whim of the cm's decision and not based on policy.

I wish they would just set out the rules and make sure that every CM in charge of ride entrances knows the policy and follows it consistently.

Rider swap in theory, isn't even for just height requirements but most CM's wouldn't give you a ticket for example if a child was scared to go on Haunted Mansion and 1 parent needed to stay behind (which is what should happen based on policy). From the Disney site "If Guests in your party donít want to board an attraction, you donít have to miss out. One adult can wait with the non-rider while the rest of the party experiences the attraction. The waiting adult can then board the attraction without having to wait in the regular line again when another adult in the party returns to supervise the child or children who do not rideóeither because they do not meet the height requirement or simply do not wish to ride." https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/gu.../rider-switch/
Old 07-15-2014, 10:43 PM   #24
wn01aa
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ava View Post
Read the bottom paragraph... it seems (at least as far as wdwuntangled can tell) that there is no official policy regarding how the combination of FP+ and Rider Switch should be used. It's apparently been up to CM discretion. Perhaps during the high crowd times of summer they've started checking that everyone has a FP+.

It's frustrating that there's no policy. We have 2 adults, a 44" tall 5yo, and a 1yo. There are two instances (in parks with a lot of height-restricted rides) where we were planning to FP+ a RS-eligible ride for just two of us, and get a RS pass for the other adult (and 5yo to ride again if she wants). This is what was being reported as the way things worked a few months ago when I started planning this trip. Disney needs to create a policy for these types of things so its consistent across the board.

It's also not really fair for children who are too little for the height-restricted rides, but old enough to have to pay for a park ticket, to miss out on using their own FP+ (or for one parent to miss out on all the headliners in order to take their little one on other rides).
Exactly! By them doing it this way it basically renders my 3 year old's (who is too small at 37") FP+ useless. She can't use hers with the rest of us on the headliners and if we selected hers for other rides like Peter Pan, there is nobody who can take her on her FP rides (doubt they would let a 3 year old board alone so she can use her 3 FP+).
Old 07-15-2014, 10:48 PM   #25
adventurous6
Earning My Ears

I will have a 3 and 4 yr. old (old enough to have to purchase tickets) but who will only be 38'' tall at the time of our trip. They will not be able to ride most headliners (splash, space, btmrr). I think I'm going to chance it by only having Fastpasses for the initial riders unless I hear enough reports to believe this is widespread/most cm's are requiring it. If they won't accept it, I'll change the fastpass to something else and go on that ride on our MNSSHP day with hopefully a low wait.
adventurous6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:15 PM   #26
wn01aa
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurous6 View Post
I will have a 3 and 4 yr. old (old enough to have to purchase tickets) but who will only be 38'' tall at the time of our trip. They will not be able to ride most headliners (splash, space, btmrr). I think I'm going to chance it by only having Fastpasses for the initial riders unless I hear enough reports to believe this is widespread/most cm's are requiring it. If they won't accept it, I'll change the fastpass to something else and go on that ride on our MNSSHP day with hopefully a low wait.
I wonder what they would do if you actually took a 3 or 4 year old to a ride and told CM they have a FP+ and the child wants to ride and paid admission just like everyone else. Nobody in your party would have a FP+ to go the ride with them since the CM at a headliner made you use up your FP+ for rider swap. Would they CM make the child go alone, allow a parent to go on, or refuse the child from being able to use the FP+ that they are entitled to use like everyone else.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:28 PM   #27
wn01aa
Mouseketeer

I just learned something new (I think) while reading the rider switch page on the disney website. When I went last December, the ticket I was given was for "up to 3 guests". According to the website, it is now only for 2 people max.

From the site: "If the person in Party 2 waited alone with the child, he or she may bring one Guest back to ride the attraction with him or her. Please note: Only 2 Guests are allowed per Rider Switch Pass."

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/gu.../rider-switch/
Old 07-15-2014, 11:36 PM   #28
lizard1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wn01aa View Post
Rider swap in theory, isn't even for just height requirements but most CM's wouldn't give you a ticket for example if a child was scared to go on Haunted Mansion and 1 parent needed to stay behind (which is what should happen based on policy). From the Disney site "If Guests in your party donít want to board an attraction, you donít have to miss out. One adult can wait with the non-rider while the rest of the party experiences the attraction. The waiting adult can then board the attraction without having to wait in the regular line again when another adult in the party returns to supervise the child or children who do not rideóeither because they do not meet the height requirement or simply do not wish to ride." https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/gu.../rider-switch/
When I was there at the end of June, they were accommodating this, just differently. I had 1 that was barely over 40" but too scared to ride TOT. She was also not old enough (7 according to Disney) to wait alone. What they did for this was not issue a Rider Swap, but did an internal rider swap instead. This means that the entire party waits in the line (we had FP) and then when you get to the ride, you notify them that you need to do a swap. They instruct the 2nd rider where to wait and how to return once the first rider is done on the ride. In this case, they had my husband go back up the elevator and he was able to ride along with our one child who wasn't scared of the ride.
lizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:37 PM   #29
lizard1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wn01aa View Post
I just learned something new (I think) while reading the rider switch page on the disney website. When I went last December, the ticket I was given was for "up to 3 guests". According to the website, it is now only for 2 people max.

From the site: "If the person in Party 2 waited alone with the child, he or she may bring one Guest back to ride the attraction with him or her. Please note: Only 2 Guests are allowed per Rider Switch Pass."

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/gu.../rider-switch/
The tickets I was given last month still say that they are good for 3 guests.
lizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:39 PM   #30
wn01aa
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard1 View Post
The tickets I was given last month still say that they are good for 3 guests.
Looks like they might be changing this system in the very near future or seeing how it plays out with only giving a pass for "up to 2 guests"
Instead if 3.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: