Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2014, 09:56 AM   #1
TheLittles
Mouseketeer

Rider Switch

Is rider switch still available? I don't hear very much about it and I've never used it before. We will have a 2 yo on this trip with five adults. If it is still available how does it work? Can three go and then when they come back two go?

Looking forward to Sept 2014 at YC!!

Lcpl. Corey Little 1986-2012.....with us in spirit everywhere we go! Your girls love you.
Disney is my escape from reality. Disney is my bliss!
TheLittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:47 PM   #2
HHMcG
Mouseketeer

Last time I used Rider Swap (or whatever it's called) FP+ was still in trial runs and FP- was still available. So it may have changed?!?

We would walk up to the ride with our 2 year old and get a Rider Swap, a slip of paper that looks like a FP-. The Rider Swap could be 'redeemed' anytime that day and was good for up to 3 people.

So my family of 5 would walk up to the ride and present our little man and get a Rider Swap. DH would ride with our two older kids. Little Man and I could ride other rides, try to nap in the stroller, shop, ect. Later I would come back with the Rider Swap and the two older kids would get to ride again with me. Worked out great.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-15-2014, 03:51 PM   #3
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

I read a report on the Family board here that all riders are required to have a FP+ to get rider swap pass (if the first boarding party is going through the FP+ lane)? Is there someone here who can confirm that is the case?

If so that is a change from what was in place for legacy FP where I could have gotten a FP for Space, and a RS pass that DH could use and DH could have gotten a FP for Splash and a RS pass for me. It would definitely change how we book our FP+s if we both have to have a FP+ for the ride in order for the first rider to use the FP+ lane and get the RS pass.

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009, April 2010 (F&W Festival!),
April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (Yacht Club, F&W adults only trip!)
Angel Ariel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:06 PM   #4
practicallyperfect77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Ariel
I read a report on the Family board here that all riders are required to have a FP+ to get rider swap pass (if the first boarding party is going through the FP+ lane)? Is there someone here who can confirm that is the case?

If so that is a change from what was in place for legacy FP where I could have gotten a FP for Space, and a RS pass that DH could use and DH could have gotten a FP for Splash and a RS pass for me. It would definitely change how we book our FP+s if we both have to have a FP+ for the ride in order for the first rider to use the FP+ lane and get the RS pass.
I am wanting to know this as well. I heard it was just for 7dmt, but not sure of other rides.
practicallyperfect77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:06 PM   #5
TinkerElsasMom
Mouseketeer

It seems difficult to enforce something like that. If you go at the end of your FP window then the Rider swap person's FP+ would have expired by the time they use the ticket? I get the idea of it... But not sure how that would work.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:19 PM   #6
practicallyperfect77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerElsasMom
It seems difficult to enforce something like that. If you go at the end of your FP window then the Rider swap person's FP+ would have expired by the time they use the ticket? I get the idea of it... But not sure how that would work.
It's my understanding the person using the rider switch ticket didn't actually have to go during the scheduled FP time but just needed to have one in order to get the pass. I think it kinda stinks for the kid that doesn't get to ride. I mean group a could ride 7dmt while group b (parent and smaller child) have a pass for PP. That way group B gets to do something fun while group a rides.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:41 PM   #7
Alesia
DIS Veteran

This is how it works: http://wdwuntangled.com/rider-switch/

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:54 PM   #8
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alesia View Post
See..that link says they heard of it happening once under legacy FP-, but not since FP+. My experience has been the opposite...CMs didn't require the 2nd rider group to have FPs under the legacy system, but I am seeing *more* reports now that CMs are checking the entire group's MBs for a FP+ when they go to obtain the RS pass. This is why I'm concerned.

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009, April 2010 (F&W Festival!),
April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (Yacht Club, F&W adults only trip!)
Old 07-15-2014, 04:57 PM   #9
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Ariel View Post
See..that link says they heard of it happening once under legacy FP-, but not since FP+. My experience has been the opposite...CMs didn't require the 2nd rider group to have FPs under the legacy system, but I am seeing *more* reports now that CMs are checking the entire group's MBs for a FP+ when they go to obtain the RS pass. This is why I'm concerned.
Everyone who is going to ride is supposed to have a FP+. Sometimes they check, sometimes they don't. No one can predict what your experience will be.

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:01 PM   #10
practicallyperfect77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Ariel

Agree. Not that I have experienced it personally, but I wanna know. My niece is 41 inches so Space and EE are out. Figured we could get a swap pass and let my nephews (both age 6) ride again. But wondering how this works b/c on those rides all 3 of us wouldn't be able to ride together and I thought you had to be 7 to ride alone. Or would the 2 boys by themselves with me behind be ok on EE?
Old 07-15-2014, 07:25 PM   #11
merina888
Mouseketeer

I'm concerned too. My daughter is ineligible for every fastpass+ ride with a height restriction except Barnstormer. I want her to be able to use her fastpasses too, but she is too young to ride any ride alone. And each of us (the parents) want to be able to ride some thrill rides with my son.
merina888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:44 PM   #12
btk2333
BCV DVC owner

Quote:
I believe that the rule is both adults need to have FP+ to rider swap- I can't vouch for how it worked before but I do believe they did away with "double dipping" those FPs. As another poster said, it may or may not be enforced, but the rules are that everyone riding the ride needs FP+.

Last edited by btk2333; 07-15-2014 at 07:50 PM.
btk2333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:14 PM   #13
wn01aa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by merina888 View Post
I'm concerned too. My daughter is ineligible for every fastpass+ ride with a height restriction except Barnstormer. I want her to be able to use her fastpasses too, but she is too young to ride any ride alone. And each of us (the parents) want to be able to ride some thrill rides with my son.
Yes, I have the same situation. Her fastpasses are basically going to be wasted since it is usually the rides with a height requirement that have the need for FP+. If they checked all the FP+ before giving the rider swap ticket, I could see people changing their FP+ (subject to availability) while they wait for the party on the ride to something they could take the little one on (like Under The Sea)
wn01aa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:37 PM   #14
lizard1
DIS Veteran

Quote:

From my experience the last 2 weeks of June, all memebers of a party were required to have the FP when wanting a Rider Swap if the first party was entering through the FP line. I do not have experiences at all rides, since my littlest is a little above 40". However, at rides such as Space Mountain, they were having ALL members of the party scan their bands at the FP entrance PRIOR to giving out Rider Swap tickets.
lizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:00 PM   #15
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by btk2333 View Post
I believe that the rule is both adults need to have FP+ to rider swap- I can't vouch for how it worked before but I do believe they did away with "double dipping" those FPs. As another poster said, it may or may not be enforced, but the rules are that everyone riding the ride needs FP+.
All I am going to say is that it wasn't "double dipping." 1 person rode in the FP lane with a FP ticket, the second person rode with a RS ticket. The RS was the FP for the second person, as it was redundant (when using FPs) for the second person to have a RS *and* a FP.

Just to clarify what I mean...for us, it is just DH and I and DD. DD is 2 (32.5"), so too short for every height requirement ride. If DH rode Space Mtn using his FP while DD and I waited (say we're shopping), and then DH came back and took DD so I could ride space, why would I need a RS if I am also required to have a FP (since DH had used a FP)? There's no need to have 2 of the same thing.

Though I suppose what this could end up doing is *actually* creating double dipping. If I'm required to have a FP+ for DH to ride in the FP lane and get a RS pass, why wouldn't I use the FP+ upon DH's return and then keep the RS pass for later, since there's no time limit on it? Or switch my FP+ once DH returns (assuming availability)? I actually see a lot more potential for "abuse" of this than there would be to just give the second person a RS pass w/o requiring the second person have a FP+.

April 2011

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: