Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2014, 08:24 AM   #16
roliepolieoliefan
DIS Veteran

I guess I'll be the dissenting voice.

Our family loves the Boardwalk.
The kids love the performers. When my son was little , he would run from act to act so he could be picked out of the crowd to assist.
DD isnt as outgoing so she kind of hangs back and watches.

Sometimes we will rent a surrey bike. DH and I love to grab a drink and browse the stores also.

Its a nice relaxing atmosphere after the bustle of the parks.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:10 AM   #17
NYDisGuy
DIS Veteran

When we go to Disney we only stay at the Boardwalk. We love Epcot and the walk back at night is surreal to say the least. ESPN Club has the cornhole game that people play at night, street performers are great to walk by, grab a pizza at the window, carnival games and then go to jellyrolls or sit by the water and listen to the music from the Dance hall. Sure, it's not pleasure island in it's prime but you can definitely spend a couple of hours walking around and there's activities like bike riding and boat rentals (yacht club) during the day too.
NYDisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-15-2014, 09:15 AM   #18
puffkin
DVC Owner- SSR & AKV

Growing up going to "real" Boardwalks at the Jersey Shore, I have to kind of laugh at the Disney version. It definitely is nice but isn't really a destination by any means. We stayed at BWV this past trip and did enjoy going up to the Boardwalk Bakery or Seashore Sweets a few nights and eating our treats on the Boardwalk. The busker shows are fun and well done and there are some nice restaurants. But other than that, I would classify it as a diversion. Its nice, especially if staying there, but definitely not a whole evening worth of entertainment.

Veteran of 25+ trips to the World
puffkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:18 AM   #19
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffkin View Post
Growing up going to "real" Boardwalks at the Jersey Shore, I have to kind of laugh at the Disney version. It definitely is nice but isn't really a destination by any means. We stayed at BWV this past trip and did enjoy going up to the Boardwalk Bakery or Seashore Sweets a few nights and eating our treats on the Boardwalk. The busker shows are fun and well done and there are some nice restaurants. But other than that, I would classify it as a diversion. Its nice, especially if staying there, but definitely not a whole evening worth of entertainment.
Lol you were spoiled.

We spent a nice shortish evening on the boardwalk one trip. Our boys were younger and they enjoyed the street shows. Especially when one performer got the best of their dad. It was a highlight but for disney pretty low key.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:21 AM   #20
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

I love the BW. I don't make a special trip there just to walk around, though. If I'm going there it's because we're eating dinner there or staying there. But I do like the atmosphere and such there.

AmyB2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:23 AM   #21
PSUGuy
Bill From PA

About half of our WDW stays have been at BW. For us it's all about atmosphere. We enjoy the shows, having a drink (or three) on the Belle Vue Lounge porch and you can't overlook the fact that you can walk to half of the WDW parks. So it's not a replica of the AC boardwalk, although few of us can claim to have walked the 'boards there in the 20's, the time frame being honored here so maybe it's not so inaccurate. We'll be there in Oct.

Bill From PA

PSUGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:36 AM   #22
DaisyNY
DIS Veteran

With Kouzina's closing...would anyone recommend another restaurant on the Boardwalk? Is Flying Fish a dress-up restaurant? and...How do we get from DHS there? Thanks!
Old 07-15-2014, 09:51 AM   #23
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyNY View Post
With Kouzina's closing...would anyone recommend another restaurant on the Boardwalk? Is Flying Fish a dress-up restaurant? and...How do we get from DHS there? Thanks!
No restaurant, other than Victoria & Albert's, is truly 'dress up'. It is a signature restaurant and possibly more dressy....
Quote:
Men - Dress pants, jeans or dress shorts and a T-shirt or long sleeve shirt with collar is required.

Women - Jeans, skirts or dress shorts and blouse, sweater or dress is required.

NOT PERMITTED: Tank tops, swim suits or swim cover ups, hats for gentlemen, cut offs or clothing with rips/tears are not allowed.
It is a good restaurant.

Big River Grille & Brewing Works is another good restaurant, though more casual that Flying Fish.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Dan Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:29 AM   #24
sethschroeder
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Glad its not the "real" boardwalk of Jersey Shore, worst thing that could happen to Disney is to have Snookie and "The Situation" (if I got those names right) walking up and down challenging people to fights.

I don't think people give the buskers enough credit. They are really a good show (obviously you wont watch the same ones over and over). I guess its like going into the Lion King Show looking around leaving and saying there wasn't much there. If your not into buskers than the Boardwalk is likely a pass for you.
1984 Born; 1985 DL; 1989 WDW; 1991 DL; 2013 BWI CL- (Honeymoon); 2014 September 3-14 - BWV - (Celebrating 1st Anniversary); 2014 September 14-15 - UNI RPR
sethschroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:14 AM   #25
AndreaDM
Yeah...we mainly colored that day

We like going on an evening if we have no park tickets for that day or if we are eating at FF. I wouldn't give up park time or go too far out of my way just for that though.
AndreaDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:28 AM   #26
MagicalMerida
Mouseketeer

The boardwalk is my absolute favourite place in the whole world. There's just something about it, I love sitting outside the pizza window looking across the lake at one of the most beautiful views. The peaceful atmosphere, the theming, it's all just so amazing. Some would disagree, but I think you're missing out if you don't at least see the boardwalk and the Epcot resort area, it really is absolutely beautiful.

TR- AHHH!!! Not another EMH morning! A July/August told by a teen!

MagicalMerida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:12 PM   #27
puffkin
DVC Owner- SSR & AKV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethschroeder View Post
Glad its not the "real" boardwalk of Jersey Shore, worst thing that could happen to Disney is to have Snookie and "The Situation" (if I got those names right) walking up and down challenging people to fights.
My comparison to real Boardwalks (like at the Jersey Shore) is more that they are destinations in and of themselves with lots of activities and things to do. Anyone who has grown up going to one knows that while there is a little of the MTV version of the Jersey Shore stuff going on, they are also very family friendly destinations with a wide appeal. My comparison was that the Disney version just doesn't have much going on in terms of entertainment and attractions. It's a nice spot on property, and does have a certain amount of thematic appeal, but it really isn't much of destination place like a true Boardwalk would be.

I know we devoted a whole note to the Boardwalk on one of our first trips and it wasn't what I was expecting at all. It was nice (and I do enjoy it) but it would have helped to have a better idea that first trip (my fault for just expecting it to more like the Boardwalks I know).

Veteran of 25+ trips to the World
puffkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:40 PM   #28
L&Lfan
DIS Veteran

Having lived 5 minutes away from the Ocean City (NJ) boardwalk and about 20 minutes away from the Atlantic City boardwalk for the last 30 years I much prefer the Disney version. When we stay at the Boardwalk Inn, we usually spend an evening people-watching on our balcony with some pizza and adult beverages. We enjoy on occasion the Flying Fish Café and Jellyrolls and Atlantic Dance. We visit the bakery and sweet shop and the Screen Door General Store. We enjoy cocktails in the Belle Vue Lounge inside the Inn. I agree that there's not a whole lot to do but we find Disney's Boardwalk just a nice place to stroll and relax after a day in the parks.
L&Lfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:41 PM   #29
sethschroeder
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My comparison to real Boardwalks (like at the Jersey Shore) is more that they are destinations in and of themselves with lots of activities and things to do. Anyone who has grown up going to one knows that while there is a little of the MTV version of the Jersey Shore stuff going on, they are also very family friendly destinations with a wide appeal. My comparison was that the Disney version just doesn't have much going on in terms of entertainment and attractions. It's a nice spot on property, and does have a certain amount of thematic appeal, but it really isn't much of destination place like a true Boardwalk would be.

I know we devoted a whole note to the Boardwalk on one of our first trips and it wasn't what I was expecting at all. It was nice (and I do enjoy it) but it would have helped to have a better idea that first trip (my fault for just expecting it to more like the Boardwalks I know).
Oh no doubt that where you grew up it has a lot more going on. That location needs to draw people in from all over. The Disney Boardwalk is meant to be a great spot for those at the Boardwalk Resort to rest and relax. Also the shot at Snookie was more in joking.

I would be interested to rank Resort areas though for those not staying at that resort. I would guess Boardwalk would likely be the top, trying to think of any other location that would have really any draw?

Poly beach is just a beach for fireworks viewing?
Wilderness has the waterfall?
Animal Kingdom has the Safari for viewing?
Yatchclub has boat rentals but your likely just grabbing the boat and leaving that area?
1984 Born; 1985 DL; 1989 WDW; 1991 DL; 2013 BWI CL- (Honeymoon); 2014 September 3-14 - BWV - (Celebrating 1st Anniversary); 2014 September 14-15 - UNI RPR
sethschroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:06 PM   #30
DisneyKidds
The TF thanks DisneyKidds for mouse-ing out his friend!
But in reality...
Member of car "X" - And proud of it!!

As for 'what there is to do' at The Boardwalk......it all depends on what kind of people you are, and what you typically look for.

If you are a fast paced, high action, need something to 'do' every minute family that isn't in to street-mosphere and you are looking to fill an evening......well, The Boardwalk might not have much for you.

On the other hand, if you have time and like to explore at a slower pace, enjoy seeing Disney resorts and soaking up atmosphere, and you like to have a nice meal and a cold beverage or two.....well, The Boardwalk is a can't miss.

We very much enjoy spending time at the Boardwalk and Epcot Resorts. Walk the Boardwalk proper for the relaxed and fun atmosphere, explore the lobby and pool area of The Boardwalk resort, grab a drink at the Belle Vue Lounge, have a nice meal at Flying Fish, afterwards venturing back on to The Boardwalk to catch one of the performers, or partake in a carnival game (the Lobsters are a tradition for us), maybe your daughter wants a hair wrap, or you are feeling like a surrey bike ride around the lake, or a stroll past the Swalphin and Yacht/Beach Club resorts. Skipped dessert at Flying Fish?....grab a Kitchen Sink at Beaches and Cream at the BC. There until 9:00? Catch some of the Illuminations fireworks from the bridge. All that can keep you busy for quite a while, a somewhat relaxing escape just a short stroll away from the chaos of the parks. If that sounds like fun to you, The Boardwalk is definitely a worthwhile destination for an evening.

http://www.july171955.com/vBulletin/upload/index.php
DisneyKidds is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: