Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2014, 05:07 PM   #1
LJK925
Earning My Ears

Yacht and Beach Club for teens?

IM planning a trip next summer with my 16 and 17 year old nephews and was wondering what people's thoughts were on the Yacht and Beach Club? I posted a question before about the Polynesian and many people suggested the Y&BC. I have not been to WDW since 1995 and have never been to these resorts. We are big fireworks lovers and I'm wondering if the nightly Epcot fireworks are viewable from the property? We are also big water lovers so the pool is a huge draw as well as the ferries to Epcot. Lastly, are the food choices teen friendly? Thanks for any help.
LJK925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:27 PM   #2
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJK925 View Post
IM planning a trip next summer with my 16 and 17 year old nephews and was wondering what people's thoughts were on the Yacht and Beach Club? I posted a question before about the Polynesian and many people suggested the Y&BC. I have not been to WDW since 1995 and have never been to these resorts. We are big fireworks lovers and I'm wondering if the nightly Epcot fireworks are viewable from the property? We are also big water lovers so the pool is a huge draw as well as the ferries to Epcot. Lastly, are the food choices teen friendly? Thanks for any help.
We've stayed at the BC and while it was nice, our preference is the Poly/MK area. With that said, SAB gets alot of hype, but it's not one of our favorites as we prefer the volcano pool at the Poly (as well as other resort pools) to SAB. We also don't like the limited CS options at the BC. Some say there are plenty of options, but for MY family, the options are too limited compared to the options at the other deluxe resorts and we don't find it convenient to trek into Epcot just to eat. Having convenient CS options (especially for breakfast) is important to us (even for our adult boys). Also, the rooms at the Poly (along with GF and CR) are quite a bit larger than the rooms at the BC/YC and all rooms come with a daybed (which is only a request at BC/YC). With all of that said, it comes down to personal preference, IMO. You will get a lot of different opinions on which resort to choose, so I would look at all of the ones that interest you and decide which theme/decor appeals to you the most and decide from there. I, personally, wouldn't choose a resort just because my kids were a certain age because I don't think one certain area is better than another (just my opinion) as it's all Disney and no matter which resort area you stay in, all parks will probably be a draw for first timers, no matter their age. Good luck .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011

Last edited by mickeynut1; 07-12-2014 at 11:45 PM.
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-12-2014, 07:54 PM   #3
amomma23
DIS Veteran

We stayed at YC in August. If I were a teen, I would have loved it there. The pool is fantastic, and the Boardwalk would be great to walk around for a little freedom from Mom/Dad. I'd go for it.

amomma23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:01 PM   #4
Ninja Mom
DIS Veteran

My boys are around that age and they love, love, love the Beach/Yacht Club. When I ask my boys what they like best about staying at the Beach Club the first thing they mention is the pool. The pool is a huge attraction with it's awesome water slide and lazy river. Teens also love all the hot tubs on property (5). The second thing they love is the quick and easy access to two theme parks. It is so easy for them to spend time at one of these two close parks and then head back for some time in the pool.This is what they love about this location! Finding food they like is never an issue with all the choices that surround them when staying at an EPCOT resort.

The Beach and Yacht Clubs are located so close to many food options, whether it be onsite like Hurricane Hannah's for burgers http://allears.net/dining/menu/hurricane-hannas/all-day or Beaches and Cream for the take out ice cream window.

There is the Crews Cup Lounge where you can order off of a menu http://allears.net/dining/menu/crews-cup-lounge/all-day.

There is also the option of a 5 minute walk to the International Showcase in EPCOT where there are a ton of counter service options for the boys to choose from. They can even hop on a boat and dine at the Hollywood Studios counter service options or take a lap around the Boardwalk to eat at one of the many dining choices there.

Big River Grille:
http://allears.net/dining/menu/big-r...s/lunch-dinner

ESPN:
http://allears.net/dining/menu/espn-club/lunch-dinner

Boardwalk Bakery
Boardwalk Funnel Cakes -
Boardwalk Hot Dog Cart -
Boardwalk Pizza Window -
Boardwalk to go menu- http://allears.net/dining/menu/boardwalk-to-go/all-day

The Beach Club has the Market Place for some quick service options
Breakfast: http://allears.net/dining/menu/beach...lace/breakfast
Lunch/dinner: http://allears.net/dining/menu/beach...e/lunch-dinner

....and there is the Captain's Grille in the Yacht Club that is our families favorite resort restaurant! It's a hidden gem for a table service breakfast Lunch or Dinner.
Breakfast menu: http://allears.net/dining/menu/capta...ille/breakfast

Lunch: http://allears.net/dining/menu/captains-grille/lunch
Dinner: http://allears.net/dining/menu/captains-grille/dinner

Some people don't like this resort because it doesn't have a food court with the standard Disney food Court offerings. My family loves staying at the Beach Club and having so many delicious options a hop skip and a jump away. When you think about it, no matter where you stay you have to leave your room and take a walk to get to a resort's dining options. I like having easy access to the many choices available when staying at an EPCOT area resort.

The other advantage that this resort offers is a 5 minute walk to get to Epcot and a 20 minute walk or a short boat ride to get to Hollywood Studios. Bus service to the Magic Kingdom or the Animal Kingdom is an easy option for teens and families alike from the Yacht or Beach Club.

To sum it up I would have to say that my guys really prefer to stay at the Beach Club because of all of the reasons I have listed above. I think for that for teens The Beach Club is the most fun resort.

Good luck with your planning and I hope you have a great vacation! If you have any questions about these resorts stop by this thread and read the first couple of pages where you will find a wealth of information about this fabulous resort. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3277682

~NM
Old 07-12-2014, 08:53 PM   #5
SillySallySews
Mouseketeer

We just recently stayed at the BC and while we enjoyed SAB, the one thing we kept saying was it would be great to bring the kids back when they're older. It's huge and sprawling and you have to walk across the path to get to the slide. Great for teens, not ideal for us with three little ones.

I understand everyone has different preferences but between all the food options at BC/YC, the BW across the lake, and being 5-10 minutes from Epcot and all the options there, I'm thinking most teens would not have a problem with food. Is club level an option? We stayed CL and really enjoyed the food and drinks in the lounge. My only complaint about BC would be the bus service, which teens may or may not care about.
SillySallySews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:48 PM   #6
CoolPool
DIS Veteran

I think BC & YC are best for teen boys. They will have Epcot at their doorstep and DHS a boat ride away (if they want to walk it they can do that too). The pool is more big kid appropriate with its bigger slide and deeper areas. You have all of Epcot as a giant food dispenser.

The MK is skewing more little kid these days. How many princess meet&greets were you planning for them?
CoolPool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:45 AM   #7
LJK925
Earning My Ears

Do the boats also go to Hollywood Studios or is that accessible by bus only?
Old 07-15-2014, 08:37 AM   #8
Grumpy92
DIS Veteran

The boat launches go to EC and DHS with a few stops on the way are various resorts. (BW, YC/BC, Swan & Dolphin)
Grumpy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:18 AM   #9
sorahl1
Pressed Pennies are a delight!

yes.. and yes

i'm traveling this time with three teens (2 girls 16,14 and 1 boy 14) and they are perfect. we let the 3 go in to epcot for lunch, and a little bit in the evening as long as they all stay together. it gives you a lot chances to let them 'stretch' without being too far (or having to use transportation) from you.
sorahl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:09 AM   #10
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Our teens loved the BC. They never wanted to stay anywhere else. There are a lot of fun things teens love to do there and we always allowed them a little freedom to go off on their own - which they loved. Our son used to like going over to the ESPN Club. They never missed not being closer to MK. After all, it was just a bus ride away. And they also liked taking the monorail from MK to Epcot, then walking through Epcot to get back to the BC. Even as married adults with children of their own, they would still prefer to stay at an Epcot resort.

Next up: WL - Jan 24 to 29, 2015; YC - April 15 - 21, 2015
WL - Oct 22-27, 2014, YC - Sept 24-28, 2014; BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:33 AM   #11
njmom76
Mouseketeer

We love BC & Poly, but I agree SAB at BC would be great for teens. With construction at Poly, I am avoiding it until it is done. BC is great for access to EPCOT & DHS, but park hoppers are a must for us when staying at BC due to running into EPCOT almost daily!

Me (37) DH (36) DD (6) DS (1)

Beach Club: July 29-August 11 2015
Beach Club: August 29-September 2 2014 (mother/daughter)
SeaWorld: June 2014
Polynesian: August 2-9 2013
Polynesian: August 18-21 2012
Hard Rock Hotel - Universal: February 2012
Beach Club: August 2011
Off site: January 1999
Dolphin/CSR: December 1998/January 1999 (NYE @ Epcot)
Off site: 1977, 1980, 1987
njmom76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:53 PM   #12
DisneyFansInNYC
DIS Veteran

We have two teens and they love the BC/YC and love SAB. We don't mind the limited CS because our kids are old enough to walk over to the countries to grab a bite to eat within 5 minutes. They love love love doing that. They love the fish and chips at the UK, Mexican take out, or take out at Morocco. Our teens love walking around the Boardwalk. It is more of a night life. There are always some shows happening on the Boardwalk - magicians, jugglers, etc. Also the ESPN Club on the Boardwalk.

What a great aunt!!

Our 2013 Disney Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLSzd7LSuFc
DisneyFansInNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:41 PM   #13
LJK925
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFansInNYC View Post
We have two teens and they love the BC/YC and love SAB. We don't mind the limited CS because our kids are old enough to walk over to the countries to grab a bite to eat within 5 minutes. They love love love doing that. They love the fish and chips at the UK, Mexican take out, or take out at Morocco. Our teens love walking around the Boardwalk. It is more of a night life. There are always some shows happening on the Boardwalk - magicians, jugglers, etc. Also the ESPN Club on the Boardwalk. What a great aunt!!
Thank you very much for the compliment but I'm the cool uncle hahaha!
Old 07-18-2014, 08:26 PM   #14
DisneyFansInNYC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you very much for the compliment but I'm the cool uncle hahaha!
Sorry about that - what a cool uncle! We stayed at the BC many times and are staying at the YC this summer. Our kids can't wait. I am sure you will have a great time.

Our 2013 Disney Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLSzd7LSuFc
DisneyFansInNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:38 AM   #15
MagicalMerida
Mouseketeer

I'm a teenager, although I'm a girl and a little younger, i just thought I'd let you know that the yacht and beach club is by far my favourite. The pool is so much fun, and I love the whole area that it is in. It's only a short walk from both Epcot and Hollywood studios which both have fireworks so even if you didn't have a view from your window, you could always pop into Epcot for the illuminations. Also, I'm sure your boys will love Hollywood Studios which is within close proximity. There are limited food options within the resort itself, but on the other side of the lagoon is the boardwalk where you're sure to find something to eat, there's the pizza window, the bakery. There are also great food options I'm Eocots world showcase which is almost right next door. For some people, transportation to Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom is an issue but vid heard it's got a lot better recently. No matter where you stay I'm sure you'll have an amazing time, but I really recommend the yacht and beach club because it's an excellent resort in a stunning location.

TR- AHHH!!! Not another EMH morning! A July/August told by a teen!

MagicalMerida is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: