Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2014, 12:13 PM   #1
NeverSayNever
Mouseketeer
 
NeverSayNever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 401

The Edge

Hi

We are planning our next cruise for the fall 2014 and our B/G twins will now be able to go to the Edge.

So tell me what do I need to know about the Edge. Can they come and go as they please (YIKES!) if so how did you manage this? Do they still wear wristbands? What didyour kids like or not like about the club?

Any thoughts insights etc that you may have most appreciated!

Best,
NEVER Say Never
__________________

October 2014 DCL - Fantasy - Eastern
November 2013 DCL - Magic - Cozumel CC
September 2012 DCL - Magic -Last NYC Cruise
October 2011 HAL - Bermuda
September 2008 - Ain't it Grand! WDW
February 2008 - Back to the Grand
September 2007 - The Grand WDW
September 2006 - RCCL - Bermuda
RCCL - Eastern Carribbean
Costa - Eastern Carribbean
Carnival - Nowhere
Regency
NeverSayNever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:35 PM   #2
Prose
DIS Veteran
 
Prose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 920

Yes, kids in the Edge can come and go as they please. There is no registration, no check in/check out, and no wrist bands. It is basically up to your family to set the guidelines as you see fit for your child - some people tell their tween that they cannot leave without permission, some say to just call them on the wave phone when changing location.

Our DD has never cared for any of the clubs, but she always goes the first night to meet friends.
__________________
Me , DH , DD (14)
MK 1973, Epcot 1991 with DH
First magical trip with DD June '07
Disney Cruise on the WONDER March '08
WONDER cruise to Alaska June '11
Awesome trip to WDW October 2012 MNSSHP
Sailed the Eastern on the Fantasy 10/19/13
Sailed the Western on the Fantasy 10/11/14
Prose is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-11-2014, 02:36 PM   #3
KristiMc
DIS Veteran
 
KristiMc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Posts: 3,298

Our son has loved the Edge. He keeps a wave phone and calls/texts throughout the day to let us know where he is.
__________________
me DH DS13 DS10
2000:Dixie Landings/Disney Wonder 2006:WL 2008:POFQ 2010:BLT 2011:Disney Magic 2012:Disney Magic 2013:AKV 2013:Disney Fantasy 2014:HHI/Disney Dream
KristiMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:56 PM   #4
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran
 
Lisa Lisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,377

My DD went to Edge for the first time when we were on the Fantasy this past April, and she loved it. On the Dream class ships, Edge is in a really cool space inside one of the funnels. It's bright and open. We haven't sailed on the Magic class ships, but I know that Edge is on deck 2 on those ships and my understanding is that it has a different look and feel. Kids who go to Edge get a sticker on their KTTW cards -- there is no wristband. They can come and go as they please, and there are frequently activities that take them outside the club (scavenger hunts, etc.). You can look at Navigators for an idea of the type of activities they do.

We had an understanding with DD that she could leave Edge to do activities around the ship, but she had to be with at least one friend at all times. When she was ready to leave, she had to text us on the Wave phone we gave her and either DH or I went to get her. She would meet us on the landing at the bottom of the stairs. We were clear with her that failure to follow our rules, even once, would result in her losing the privilege of going.

One more thing, in the event you'll be on one of the newer ships. We were a little nervous the first evening, so we wanted to stay close by. We decided to go to Currents bar, which is forward on deck 13. Imagine our surprise when we noticed that we could see straight into Edge from there! We stayed for almost an hour and relaxed/spied, and we weren't alone. There was another couple doing the same thing! DH tried texting her a couple of times, and it was funny to watch her look over at her phone and then text him back. It was light in the club and kind of dark on deck, so she had no clue we were there.
__________________
~Lisa





Disney Dream ~ February 12-16, 2012
Disney Fantasy ~ March 23-30, 2013
Disney Dream ~ September 1-5, 2013 * Trip Report: Living the Suite Life on the Dream ~ Sept. 1-5, 2013
Disney Fantasy ~ April 19-26, 2014
Lisa Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:53 PM   #5
LilGMom
It makes me want to Kiss on the lips!
I have caught myself laughing more than a few times
 
LilGMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 5,720

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Lisa View Post
My DD went to Edge for the first time when we were on the Fantasy this past April, and she loved it. On the Dream class ships, Edge is in a really cool space inside one of the funnels. It's bright and open. We haven't sailed on the Magic class ships, but I know that Edge is on deck 2 on those ships and my understanding is that it has a different look and feel. Kids who go to Edge get a sticker on their KTTW cards -- there is no wristband. They can come and go as they please, and there are frequently activities that take them outside the club (scavenger hunts, etc.). You can look at Navigators for an idea of the type of activities they do.

We had an understanding with DD that she could leave Edge to do activities around the ship, but she had to be with at least one friend at all times. When she was ready to leave, she had to text us on the Wave phone we gave her and either DH or I went to get her. She would meet us on the landing at the bottom of the stairs. We were clear with her that failure to follow our rules, even once, would result in her losing the privilege of going.

One more thing, in the event you'll be on one of the newer ships. We were a little nervous the first evening, so we wanted to stay close by. We decided to go to Currents bar, which is forward on deck 13. Imagine our surprise when we noticed that we could see straight into Edge from there! We stayed for almost an hour and relaxed/spied, and we weren't alone. There was another couple doing the same thing! DH tried texting her a couple of times, and it was funny to watch her look over at her phone and then text him back. It was light in the club and kind of dark on deck, so she had no clue we were there.
I am going to have to remember the part of your post that I "bolded" when we go on our next cruise. Our oldest DS will be in the tween club and it'll be the first time that he and his younger brother (who often keeps the older one in line) will be in separate clubs.
__________________
Many off offsite stays prior to .... First Resort stay: Coronado Spings, 2002
Since then:
Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo, Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani (aka "Home"), Bay Lake Towers, Beach Club Villas, Boardwalk Villas, Carribean Beach, The Contemporary, Coronado Springs, Old Key West, Pop Century, Port Orleans French Quarter & Riverside, Saratoga Springs (aka "Home"), Shades of Green, Swan, Treehouse Villas, Villas at Wilderness Lodge, Wilderness Lodge, Yacht Club, & the Disney Dream.

Upcoming trips: Whenver we feel like it. Living close has its perks.
"Well if there's enough room for a chowder-head like you, then there is more than enough room for a dragon" - Pete's Dragon
LilGMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:55 PM   #6
owensjro
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Lisa View Post

One more thing, in the event you'll be on one of the newer ships. We were a little nervous the first evening, so we wanted to stay close by. We decided to go to Currents bar, which is forward on deck 13. Imagine our surprise when we noticed that we could see straight into Edge from there! We stayed for almost an hour and relaxed/spied, and we weren't alone. There was another couple doing the same thing! DH tried texting her a couple of times, and it was funny to watch her look over at her phone and then text him back. It was light in the club and kind of dark on deck, so she had no clue we were there.
So funny...we did the same thing. Our daughter was 11 and can be pretty shy so we wanted to make sure she was doing ok in there. It was fun watching from afar and seeing all of our fears laid to rest.

We also had the same rules as you. Always be with at least one friend, text us if she wanted to leave and had no one to go with, and keep us informed of where she was.

Jim
__________________
Disney Wonder 4N Bahamas - 4/15/07
Disney Magic 7N Eastern - 1/19/08
Disney Wonder 4N Double Dip - 6/1/08
Disney Magic 7N Eastern - 1/17/09
Disney Magic 7N Eastern - 12/19/09
Disney Wonder B2B 5N KeyWest/5N DoubleDip - 6/8/10, 6/13/10
Disney Magic 14N TransAtlantic - 5/14/11
Disney Fantasy B2B 7N Eastern/Western - 6/29/13, 7/6/13
Disney Magic 12N Northern Europe - 7/22/15
owensjro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:40 PM   #7
Belle6000
Mouseketeer
 
Belle6000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arlington, Texas
Posts: 185

My dd will be 12 on our Fantasy cruise in Jan. At that age, she could go into the edge or the lab. Does anyone know if she can go between the two? Or does she have to pick one club and stick with it for the duration of the cruise? It would be perfect if she could go between them depending on what they were doing, but I didn't know if that was allowed.

She enjoyed the lab on our 2012 cruise and I think she'd like it again, but will be on the older side. She'd be on the younger side of the Edge. She's shy and not really into video games and electronics, which is what the Edge seems heavy with. Can anyone tell me what kind of things they do in the Edge?

I'm a little nervous about her coming and going by herself. She doesn't have the best sense of direction!! On the last cruise we gave one wave phone to our son in the vibe and we kept one. Since there are only 2 in the room, one kid will not be able to have a wave phone. I'm just really nervous about the whole thing!! It worked out so nicely the last time with one in the lab and one in the vibe!!
__________________
DL: Mar. 2006: off property
WDW:Feb. 2009: POFQ
Disney Wonder 3 nt: Feb. 2009

DL:Sept 2011 Paradise Pier
Disney Magic 7 nt: Sept 2012
Belle6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:51 PM   #8
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 17,589

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle6000 View Post
My dd will be 12 on our Fantasy cruise in Jan. At that age, she could go into the edge or the lab. Does anyone know if she can go between the two? Or does she have to pick one club and stick with it for the duration of the cruise? It would be perfect if she could go between them depending on what they were doing, but I didn't know if that was allowed.

She enjoyed the lab on our 2012 cruise and I think she'd like it again, but will be on the older side. She'd be on the younger side of the Edge. She's shy and not really into video games and electronics, which is what the Edge seems heavy with. Can anyone tell me what kind of things they do in the Edge?

I'm a little nervous about her coming and going by herself. She doesn't have the best sense of direction!! On the last cruise we gave one wave phone to our son in the vibe and we kept one. Since there are only 2 in the room, one kid will not be able to have a wave phone. I'm just really nervous about the whole thing!! It worked out so nicely the last time with one in the lab and one in the vibe!!
She will be able to go to both Edge and Club/Lab.

You can get additional wave phones at Guest Services (while they last). I think they are something like $3-$5 a day.
__________________


13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:15 PM   #9
Carrie in AZ
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,326

Wow! I thought extra wave phones were hundreds of dollars, not as little as $3-$5. Anyway, same rules for our family: always with a friend, we picked her up at Edge. Our DD challenged everyone to Chess and she went on every scavenger hunt and Amazing Race type of game they had! Lots of time up on the sport court also. She literally had the time of her life on our cruise! I highly suggest all kids go to the open house/meet and greet on the first night to meet the kids.
__________________
Nov 2014 - 25th Anniversary Trip
Oct 2014 Another WONDERful cruise!
Oct 2013 Our first cruise ever! LOVED the Wonder!
July 2013 Aulani
June 2012 - GCH July 2012 - Aulani
June 2011 - CR/BCV
Thanksgiving 2010 - Disneyland
Nov 2009 - CR/Poly Oct 2009 - GCH Nov 2008 - BC
June 2008 - GCH Oct 2007 - DLH
Nov 2006 - POR June 2004 - DLH
Apr 2002 - POR Nov 1999 - Dixie Landings
Carrie in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:31 AM   #10
AZFamily5
Disneyland Original
 
AZFamily5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 11

Really, you can add wave phones. I will have 3 kids in our next cruise and I could not figure out how to keep them all in touch with us. Twins, 13 and one 10 year old. Thanks for the tip on the extra wave phone.
__________________
AZChacons5
AZFamily5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:20 AM   #11
cedricandsophie
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 404

We always bring my disabled adult daughter with Down syndrome and her best friend. They both have wave phones and I get an extra one for me. Cost is very small. They wonder all over ship looking for characters, seeing movies, going down slides. I barely see them except in the evening. Always feel they are perfectly safe. The ship staff gets to know them and is so great.
cedricandsophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:28 AM   #12
lanejudy
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,082
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie in AZ View Post
Wow! I thought extra wave phones were hundreds of dollars, not as little as $3-$5. ...
Renting an extra wave phone is fairly cheap. The charge for a LOST wave phone is something like $250. So anyone considering this should make sure your tweens/teens can be responsible with it if you rent one for them.

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:45 PM   #13
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran
 
su_A_ve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,097

Edge registers all kids automatically based on age but the kids need to check in. If they are not of age, a few months shy of 11 and there's room, they'll be able to check in. The ships now are issuing paper wristbands to them to know they've been checked in, so yes, there's a wrist band. For those 11-12 that also want to go to club/lab, they will be wearing both wristbands.

Kids come and go as they please. Many of the activities take place all over the ship, and some without CM supervision (scavenger's hunt for example). They also have some joint activities with Vibe (the older teen club - gender wars for example). KNOW YOUR KID!!!

There are organized activities but others are done based on what they want to do - most of these are determined on the first night, so it's crucial for the kids to attend the first night's meet.

Regarding extra wave phones, they do not have that many to rent. On our first sailing, we rented two and they almost were not able to give us them even though I tried to get them right after boarding. You do need to make a deposit ($250 I think - value of the phone) - if you are a cash only passenger, you will need to put that money aside. For credit cards, they'll put a hold for the amount. Daily cost rental was AFAIK $3.50.

You will get a copy of the rental form, but when you return the phones, make sure you get a receipt!
__________________
'77, '84, '94, '00 (SWW) - Off site
'01 (BC), '03 (ASMu), '05 (BC), '06 (YC), '08 (YC), '08 (CSR Xmas),
'09 (CSR), '10 (BC), '10 (CSR Xmas), '11 (BC), '11 (CSR), '12 (5n Dream DD),
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.