Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2014, 07:21 AM   #1
KEVD
Mouseketeer

On property perks for Holiday Inn Lake BV?

I'm considering a stay at Holiday Inn Lake Buena Vista. It appears that this is an official Disney World Resort. Will a stay at this resort offer the same perks as staying on one of the on property resorts... Extra Magic Hours, Disney Transp System etc? Also I didn't see this listed as an option for the Dining Plan... so do I assume Disney Dining is not an option when staying here?
Old 07-09-2014, 07:32 AM   #2
patty57
DIS Veteran

No dining plan, or EMHs. You can use WDW transportation once you are at the parks, or at a WDW resort, but there isn't WDW transportation from the hotel to the parks. I think the only DTD hotel with EMHs is the Hilton.
patty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-09-2014, 08:29 AM   #3
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

The Holiday Inn and other DTD resorts are on Disney property, but they're not Disney-owned.....that's the distinction. The on-property perks you mention are only available for guests of the Disney resorts.

There's one small exception. Guests of the Hilton at DTD may use EMH. But for all the other DTD resorts, you wouldn't have EMH, Magical Express, or the ability to get the dining plans.

You can use Disney transportation to get from park to park, or to Disney resorts, but they don't drop off and pick up at the Holiday Inn or other DTD resorts. Those resorts have their own shuttle service
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:47 AM   #4
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

I believe they are Disney friend resorts because they have met certain Disney criteria. But, that doesn't allow them to offer the perks the true Disney resorts are entitled to. There is just one resort in DTD that is eligible for EMHs. Not sure which it is though. None of them have Disney transportation, or offer the DDP.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:08 AM   #5
AngiTN
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVD View Post
I'm considering a stay at Holiday Inn Lake Buena Vista. It appears that this is an official Disney World Resort. Will a stay at this resort offer the same perks as staying on one of the on property resorts... Extra Magic Hours, Disney Transp System etc? Also I didn't see this listed as an option for the Dining Plan... so do I assume Disney Dining is not an option when staying here?
I am curious, what made you think it was an official WDW Resort? Is it the way they have something written on their website? You are not the first to think that DTD resorts are official Disney properties. Something must be misleading somewhere and I was curious as to what it could be
AngiTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:10 AM   #6
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngiTN View Post
I am curious, what made you think it was an official WDW Resort? Is it the way they have something written on their website? You are not the first to think that DTD resorts are official Disney properties. Something must be misleading somewhere and I was curious as to what it could be
This might be it, from their website.

Welcome to the Holiday Inn Orlando - Lake Buena Vista

This official Walt Disney World® hotel is fresh from a $35 million top-to-bottom makeover, making it the perfect place to stay during your vacation to the Walt Disney World® Resort.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:24 AM   #7
AngiTN
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
This might be it, from their website.

Welcome to the Holiday Inn Orlando - Lake Buena Vista

This official Walt Disney World® hotel is fresh from a $35 million top-to-bottom makeover, making it the perfect place to stay during your vacation to the Walt Disney World® Resort.
I bet it is. I am shocked they are allowed to use that particular wording, partner hotel or not. It should say something that more clearly distinguishes them from Disney owned property.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:43 AM   #8
WEDWDW
DIS Veteran

Yes,"official" is misleading.

They call themsleves that because they have:

Shuttle service to the Parks
WDW Tickets and merchandise available for purchase on-site.
The "Stacey Channel" on their TVs

Last edited by WEDWDW; 07-09-2014 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Forgot about Stacey!
WEDWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:49 AM   #9
AngiTN
DIS Veteran

Wonder what the numbers are for those who stay there thinking they are staying at a Disney owned property? It would be a great survey to give to all those staying there
Old 07-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #10
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

You cannnot get a Disney dining plan at any resort/hotel that is not owned and operated by Disney. Same for Disney's Magical Express airport transportation.

There are a couple of partner hotels (Swan and Dolphin and the Hilton at DTD) where you can get EMH. Swan and Dolphin also have Disney buses servicing their hotels. That's it. Any other resort and you get only a shuttle to WDW property (not Disney transportation) and the ability to buy tickets, and that's all.

They mean that they are an official Disney partner hotel, but being a Holiday Inn they are certainly not operated by Disney. That distinction is going to be lost on some, though.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:18 AM   #11
HopperFan
"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess. One of those "circle of life" kind of things."

It is my understanding that there are two types of Disney Hotel Partners:

OFFICIAL resorts are located ON Disney property, so Downtown Disney hotels would be included in this category. If you look at their websites they say "official". Only Hilton provides some additional Disney perks. Then you have Swan and Dolphin that provide another level of service with Disney perks.

WDW GOOD NEIGHBOR hotels are AAA Approved and meet Disney quality and service standards. They offer a Guest Services Desk to assist in your Disney vacation planning, ticket purchases and must provide transportation to parks. Guests have access to WDW information prior to arriving in the Disney Theme Parks. These resorts are not on Disney property. http://www.wdwgoodneighborhotels.com/
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 for "COMPLIMENTARY" Dining

Making Magical Visits since 1971 ~ now visiting 5-6 weeks per year ON PROPERTY STAYS & Our Star Rating:
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2x ~ Wilderness Lodge
Coronado Springs 8x (1xBusClass) ~ PO Riverside 5x (1xRoyal) ~ Bonnett Creek ~ PO French Quarter
POP Century 15x ~ Hilton DTD 2x ~ Doubletree Suites DTD 3x ~ B Resort
All Star Movie ~ Wilderness Cabins ~ All Star Sports 3x
Caribbean Beach 2x (1xPirate) ~ All Star Music 2x
Lots of offsite, but somehow it never seems right, 'though Rosen Shingle Creek was luxury I could get used to !
HopperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:42 PM   #12
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night

We stayed here back when it was the Sunspree. Don't remember there being the Stacey channel on TV. We definitely didn't get EMH.

Great hotel though!

Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015

Sparkly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:59 PM   #13
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopperFan View Post
It is my understanding that there are two types of Disney Hotel Partners:

OFFICIAL resorts are located ON Disney property, so Downtown Disney hotels would be included in this category. If you look at their websites they say "official". Only Hilton provides some additional Disney perks. Then you have Swan and Dolphin that provide another level of service with Disney perks.

WDW GOOD NEIGHBOR hotels are AAA Approved and meet Disney quality and service standards. They offer a Guest Services Desk to assist in your Disney vacation planning, ticket purchases and must provide transportation to parks. Guests have access to WDW information prior to arriving in the Disney Theme Parks. These resorts are not on Disney property. http://www.wdwgoodneighborhotels.com/
I would take exception with those resorts being on Disney property. Yes, they are in the DTD area, but they truly aren't 'on property'. The Swan/Dolphin are on Disney property....hence the limited perks they get. But, those resorts in DTD get no addtl perks, other than the Hilton(I believe that's the one) that gets EMHs. And that may be because they possibly have a payment deal with Disney....otherwise, all those resorts would be looking for that perk.
There are other resorts, in the area, that are very close to parks. Not sure if they are considered 'official' or not. Would tend to doubt it.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:58 PM   #14
Gingerg11
I solemnly swear I am up to no good...

Aren't the DTD hotels beyond the "entrance" sign to WDW off Apopka-Vineland? I would thnk that constitutes Disney property.
Gingerg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:07 PM   #15
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerg11 View Post
Aren't the DTD hotels beyond the "entrance" sign to WDW off Apopka-Vineland? I would thnk that constitutes Disney property.
Probably, but I think there could be a distinction. I guess that are 'officially' on
Disney property. I just think that it gives a very false impression when these hotels are saying they are 'official Disney resorts'. That leads guests to believe they are going to get all sorts of Disney perks...and they are going to be sadly disappointed when they get there. If only everyone did their homework when booking a vacation to WDW.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: