Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2014, 12:48 PM   #1
LittleMissMagic
Victoria on Vacation

Ring and watch LOST at Grand Floridian Courtyard Pool July 4

Hello, DISers!

I have just returned from a wonderful Fourth of July stay at the Grand Floridian Resort. Unfortunately, on the night of July 4 (actually July 5 around 1-2 AM), I forgot to take my watch and ring off before going to the courtyard pool and carelessly removed them, leaving them on a pool lounger with my belongings on the zero-depth entry side of the pool. Unfortunately, I did not remember my watch and ring when I left the pool. I returned to the pool to look for them at 8 AM the next morning when I realized what I had done.

Of course, I immediately reported both items to lost and found at the Grand Floridian, following up twice, but am saddened that I have yet to hear any good news. Since I would assume that a cast member would have turned the watch and ring over to lost and found by now, it is my belief that these items are in the hands of a kind and concerned fellow guest of the Grand Floridian. I figured I would post here, just in case by some miracle whoever currently has my watch and ring has or is hoping to return them.

The ring is a ladies' Clemson University dinner ring. It is gold with a black onyx stone that has the university seal, most noticeably the letter "C". An image of the Clemson University ladies' ring is pictured below. The main difference being that mine is completely gold besides the onyx stone (no black filling in the letters or "Clemson University"). I would be happy to provide further identifying information if you believe you may have located it.

The watch is a silver ladies' Michael Kors watch for a very small wrist. I would be happy to provide more identifying information if you believe you may have found it.

Both items have great sentimental value to me, and I could not be more angry at myself for losing them. I am incredibly desperate to get them back. If you have any suggestions on further measures to take to look for them, I would appreciate your advice.

Also, if by some incredible miracle you found either or both items and have yet to or have already turned them in, please contact me either through this thread or Private Message so that I may be able to express my incredible gratitude!!!

Finally, I am already aware that I was incredibly careless and irresponsible. While I do not believe anyone could say anything to make me feel worse than I already do, I would really appreciate it if responses remained positive and encouraging. Thank you so much!

1991-2004 AP holders | 2000 Disney Magic 4-Day Bahamas | 2005 Disneyland | 2006 Swan New Year's | 2008 AllStar Movies with HS Marching Band
2008 Grand Floridian Independence Day | 2009 Bay Lake Tower Labor Day | 2010 Wilderness Lodge New Year's | 2010 AllStar Music with HS Marching Band
2010 Polynesian Graduation Celebration | 2011 Grand Floridian Independence Day | 2012 Polynesian Spring Break | 2012 Beach Club Graduation Celebration
2012 Saratoga Springs Food & Wine | 2013 Disneyland Paris Sequoia Lodge | 2013 Beach Club Resort Food & Wine
2013/2014 New Year's Eve Waldorf Astoria | 2014 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise

LittleMissMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:00 PM   #2
Sandi
A proud Spartans fan!

Don't give up hope. We had a lost item returned from POFQ about 2 weeks after we checked out. It just appeared in the mail one day. Make sure that the resort knows what you lost, when you lost it, and all your contact information. (I'm sure you provided that, but it wouldn't hurt to send another note in writing.)

Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2014, 01:04 PM   #3
V2000
Mouseketeer

I also had some expensive glasses mailed back to me after a couple weeks after reporting to lost and found.
V2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:30 PM   #4
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Bumping for you in case someone can help!

Definitely keep checking back with lost & found. I wonder if a guest found it if there's a chance they may have turned it in at a different lost & found? Not sure how many there are or where they are (is there a central one?) but just wanted to throw that out there. I could see myself finding something like that and throwing it in my purse to turn in, forgetting about it, and remembering the next day while at the park and turning it in there, or something like that.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:31 PM   #5
Carrie in AZ
DIS Veteran

I truly believe you will have these items returned to you. I know sometimes it takes a while for the system to work and items to cycle through. DO NOT give up hope!!
July 2013 Aulani
June 2012 - GCH July 2012 - Aulani
June 2011 - CR/BCV
Thanksgiving 2010 - Disneyland
Nov 2009 - CR/Poly Oct 2009 - GCH Nov 2008 - BC
June 2008 - GCH Oct 2007 - DLH
Nov 2006 - POR June 2004 - DLH
Apr 2002 - POR Nov 1999 - Dixie Landings
Carrie in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:03 PM   #6
skedinger
Earning My Ears

I'm sorry to hear that you lost your items. I hope they turn up unexpectedly in the mail.

If I remember correctly, there is a central lost and found location near the Transportation and Ticket Center. Many trips ago, my daughter lost a hat in one of the theme parks, and after a couple of days it turned up there. I think we walked to the building through the TTC parking lot.

It might be worth contacting them in case someone found your items, but turned them in somewhere other than the resort. According to wdwinfo, the phone number is 407-824-4245.

Upcoming trips -- August 2015, Poly

Past trips -- December 2014: WBC, September 2014: CSR, August 2014: DLP, August 2013: BC and ASMo, April 2012: DLP, March 2010: POP, August 2008: DLR, April 2003: DoubleTree, December 2001: Hilton, June 2001: DLR, March 2000: DLP, September 1998: ASSp, April 1995: YC, March 1994: CBR plus 10 trips in the 1970's and 1980's!

skedinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:44 PM   #7
Ninja Mom
DIS Veteran

Here is wishing you some major pixie dust and good luck!

~NM
Old 07-08-2014, 10:22 PM   #8
Mynamewastaken
Mouseketeer

I lost my glasses in the magic kingdom and they were not found until after I got home. they arrived in the mail. Hoping things work out for you. Say a prayer to St. Anthony

2003-POR
2011- Poly TPV
2012- POR/BWI
2015- AKLV/BWV
Mynamewastaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:47 AM   #9
tinkerbella16
DIS Veteran

Really hoping your things turn up! Items are more than likely to be turned in at the happiest place on earth than anywhere else.

Last year in AK, my bestfriend left her wristlet in the pouch on Everest. It had EVERYTHING in- her iphone, brand new camera, license, cash, credit cards, her kids social security card, disney giftcard. It really put a damper on the whole day. I even cried because I felt so bad. I gave her some money to get her through the rest of the trip (we had 2 days left). We filed a lost & found report and they told us to call the central lost & found at the TTC the next day at 9am because anything found goes there at the end of the night. The next morning we were in MK and called the L&F at TTC right at 9am and someone ended up returning her wristlet just as they found it... not a thing was missing. We were so happy and rushed over to pick it up.

My stepdad actually lost his wedding band in the wave pool at Typhoon Lagoon, years ago. He filed a L&F report. Someone found it and turned it in. Months went by and he recieved it in the mail. We were shocked!

So stay positive! If you were anywhere else, I'd say its gone but in Disney, people are more likely to turn it in.

tinkerbella16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:34 PM   #10
LittleMissMagic
Victoria on Vacation

Thanks, everyone! I feel a little more hopeful knowing that some of you have had valuables returned weeks or even a month later. I've also checked with theme park lost and found, but there was no match. However, I was unable to leave a description, so perhaps I should call back periodically to check.

My father suggested that I send photos of my ring and watch to lost and found for them to keep on record. I also asked if they could check the surveillance video to perhaps determine if it was a guest or a cast member who picked it up. The CM was uncertain if there was a camera on the Courtyard Pool (I thought there definitely would be! Isn't Disney always watching? They can track our exact location with the Magic Bands, after all.) but said she would check on it.

Another thought that crossed my mind was if I could offer a reward. I'm not sure how Disney would feel about that, but they do have the names and email addresses of everyone who was staying at the Grand Floridian on the night of July 4.... though I'm sure they are very restricted on how they may use that information, and I doubt they wish to take the time to do so with my jewelry... it's not like I lost a giant diamond or anything, and it would probably be less expensive to just replace.

My sister suggested that perhaps the finder might try to return the ring through my university. Honestly, it would be quite easy to match the owner to the ring, as my full name is engraved inside. A quick Google search with my name and Clemson would lead them right to me.

Fingers crossed!

1991-2004 AP holders | 2000 Disney Magic 4-Day Bahamas | 2005 Disneyland | 2006 Swan New Year's | 2008 AllStar Movies with HS Marching Band
2008 Grand Floridian Independence Day | 2009 Bay Lake Tower Labor Day | 2010 Wilderness Lodge New Year's | 2010 AllStar Music with HS Marching Band
2010 Polynesian Graduation Celebration | 2011 Grand Floridian Independence Day | 2012 Polynesian Spring Break | 2012 Beach Club Graduation Celebration
2012 Saratoga Springs Food & Wine | 2013 Disneyland Paris Sequoia Lodge | 2013 Beach Club Resort Food & Wine
2013/2014 New Year's Eve Waldorf Astoria | 2014 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise

Old 07-10-2014, 01:08 AM   #11
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Hope your things have been located and returned.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:47 AM   #12
sndral
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissMagic View Post

My father suggested that I send photos of my ring and watch to lost and found for them to keep on record. I also asked if they could check the surveillance video to perhaps determine if it was a guest or a cast member who picked it up. The CM was uncertain if there was a camera on the Courtyard Pool (I thought there definitely would be! Isn't Disney always watching? They can track our exact location with the Magic Bands, after all.) but said she would check on it.

Another thought that crossed my mind was if I could offer a reward. I'm not sure how Disney would feel about that, but they do have the names and email addresses of everyone who was staying at the Grand Floridian on the night of July 4.... though I'm sure they are very restricted on how they may use that information, and I doubt they wish to take the time to do so with my jewelry... it's not like I lost a giant diamond or anything, and it would probably be less expensive to just replace.
A note about surveillance cameras, most loop and record over, plus w/out knowing exactly what you look like and where you sat and when you sat there it would be almost impossible to locate where you most likely lost your items and then to thereafter study the video for several hours looking for someone in that area and then, in the unlikely event they saw someone in that area they still probably wouldn't be able to ID that person from a picture.
Frankly asking Disney to personally contact every guest who stayed at the GF on the 4th of July is an unreasonable intrusion into their privacy when most likely the items were swept up as part of the cleanup. You might ask if the GF would mind asking the groundskeepers to keep an eye out for your watch and ring in the areas near the pool and the lifeguards to be on the lookout in case someone finds the items (especially the ring which is small enough to escape notice) at the bottom of the pool. And you never know, a guest might still see your items while wandering the grounds and turn them in.
What you can do, in addition to what you have done, if you suspect theft, is to contact local pawn shops to see if anyone has pawned your items.
I once had a diamond (very high sentimental value and very old w/ a European cut, etc.) fall out of it's setting. I thought it was lost forever and was just sick, but 2 months later I saw what I thought was a pebble under a table that I sat at almost daily for work, it was my diamond - thank goodness they apparently didn't vacuum very thoroughly
Hope you and your jewelry are reunited.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:40 AM   #13
ErinsMommy
DIS Veteran

I too hope your things get returned, I know all too well the lost sentimental feeling about taking jewelry off and accidentally leaving it behind (although with me it didn't happen in Disney, but elsewhere). Good luck and please KUP and keeping my fingers crossed for you!!
Old 07-22-2014, 03:59 PM   #14
LittleMissMagic
Victoria on Vacation

Thanks, guys, for your advice and encouragement!

It's been over two weeks since my watch and ring were lost, and they have yet to be returned to Lost & Found. I suppose it's time to face the sad but likely fact that they have either been disposed of or have found a new home (which is a bit creepy considering my full name was engraved inside my ring, so I don't understand why it would have value to anyone else).

I will be sure to update the thread if something magical happens in the future!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: