Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Did you get seasick, and if so how did you remdy it?
No seasickness/never get sick 29 39.73%
Felt ill, but did not treat it 2 2.74%
Never felt ill but took preventative measures (please share in comments!) 16 21.92%
Used a remedy that worked (please share in comments!) 24 32.88%
Used a remedy that didn't work (please share in comments!) 2 2.74%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2014, 10:02 AM   #16
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

As with PPs DW takes Bonine a couple days before a cruise & has had good luck. One side note, on one of our 1st cruises, our DD got sick as a dog , during some extremely rough seas. Our cabin host recommended "green apples" as that was what many of the crew used. He got her a couple & she got better fairly quickly. For the rest of the cruise there were no green apples to be found anywhere.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:24 AM   #17
Gigi22
DIS Veteran

We have been on over 30 cruises, a few on DCL, most on HAL. Most of our cruises have been in the Caribbean. DH and I very rarely experience any nausea. That said, we find that persistent rough seas (over 12 hours long) is the hardest for us to get through.

We believe it pays to be prepared. We always take our favourite OTC seasickness remedies with us, as well as some OTC mitigation meds. to rehydrate, and Sea Bands. We avoid 'the patch' because it has so many side effects.

That said, we find that our cruises aboard DCL have been remarkably smooth, very little "motion of the ocean" at all. We think that DCL captains work hard to go around all the bad weather they possibly can.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2014, 10:30 AM   #18
muse7mom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmergirl View Post
My family leaves on our 4th cruise next month. None of us have ever experienced seasickness. However, this trip will be the first time we've cruise outside the Bahamas, and I imagine the open waters of the eastern Caribbean will be rougher. So, I'm curious about others' experiences with seasickness and its remedies!

Did you experience seasickness?
If so, did you just ride it out or try something to alleviate it?
What worked and what didn't?
We did the Fantasy cruise June 7 and none of us have experienced seasickness before so I wasn't very concerned about it. During our three port evenings (Mexico, Grand Cayman, Jamaica) the ship was moving quite a bit. The first night, my DD asked me if I could stop the table from moving. It was like that the next two nights. None of us got sick, though.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:37 AM   #19
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

I voted for no seasickness, but I want to expand on it.

My husband has always had motion sickness issues. Cars, boats, theme park rides. Generally, he just "toughs it out" on the little ones, but for our first cruise he got the patch from his doctor.

It was exactly what he needed. There were a few days on the cruise that he could tell that without the patch he would have taken up residence in the toilet. But, with it, he could still enjoy the cruise.

He continued to use the patch on subsequent cruises. Although, by our 4th cruise he was getting more side effects from the patch then help. Most of that cruise was actually quite calm (Westbound Transatlantic), so he took the patch off to see how it went. He did fine, but he did buy sea bands in the gift shop that he wore one night when the ocean was a little rough. He now just uses the sea band, but brings along his patch, in case.

When we took our kids on their first cruise, I packed pretty much everything - ginger tablets, Bonine, sea bands, MotionEaze oil, just in case. But nobody took anything before departing.

I know that "prevention is easier than curing" but, since we were on a longer cruise, I felt that there was time to deal with any motion sickness issues IF they arose (most people don't have a problem). If anyone needed to take something, we could give up doing much that day, until the meds kicked in, if necessary. However, on a short cruise you don't really have the luxury of being able to forfeit a day if you need to start taking/doing something for sea sickness.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:09 AM   #20
ahain
Thankful & Blessed

DH and I both use the TransDerm Scop (scopolomine) patch. Yes, we get dry mouth rfom it, but we don't get nauseous!
Disney Wonder - Alaska - 6/2015 ......Disney Dream - 4 night Bahamas - 4/2015...Disney Dream - 3 night Bahamas - 10/2014...Disney Fantasy - 7 night Eastern Caribbean - 4/2014 .....Disney Dream - 3 night Bahamas - 10/2012
ahain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:32 PM   #21
NCConch
Mouseketeer

I went with Bonine in the morning and Dramamine in the evening (starting with the night before we sailed) and I supplemented with ginger ale. I never felt ill - though was tired early in the evening.

1st Disney Cruise - Dec 26-29, 2013 on the Dream

NCConch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:46 PM   #22
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

I am one of those people that used to get car sick as a kid and still gets queasy if I sit I the back seat. I also don't feel good after riding some rides at the Disney parks.

Anyway, I have been on 4 cruises and swear by Bonine (active ingredient meclizine). I take one the morning before getting on the ship and then one every morning and one before bed every day of the cruise. I have never even felt the least bit sea sick. We were even on the Magic once when the stabilizers were broken and came across the Gulf stream back to PC. That's rough at any time, let alone not having any stabilizers.

I highly recommend any motion sickness preventative that contains meclizine.

The thing to remember about sea sickness is that you want to be preventative and not responsive. Medications and remedies work better before you start feeling sick.
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:47 PM   #23
jjgarv
Gotta get away to where the boat leaves from...

While I do get motion sick on 'spinning' rides and sometimes in the car, I don't have any major issues on cruises. That being said, we had rough waters on a cruise two years ago, and Bonine did the trick for DD and I. Since then, I've also used it on long car rides, and it's done the trick!
Honeymoon 4/00 4 Day Magic and Wilderness Lodge; 3/02 7 Day Eastern Magic; 11/02 Beach Club Villas; 11/04 7 day Western Magic; 10/05 4 Day Wonder and 3 Day at Saratoga Springs; 9/06 7 Day Twice the Magic--2x Castaway Cay; 11/07 7 Day Eastern Magic; 9/08 7 Western Double Dip--2x Castaway Cay; 5/09 Villas at AKL; 10/09 7 Day Eastern Magic to St Croix; 4/10 7 Day Caribbean Princess for 10th Anniversary; 10/10 7 Day Western Magic; 10/11 7 Days B2B on the Dream; 10/12 7 Day Eastern Fantasy; 3/12 DVC Villas at Aulani; 10/13 7 Day Western Fantasy; 10/14 7 Day Western Fantasy to Jamaica
jjgarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:13 PM   #24
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCConch View Post
I went with Bonine in the morning and Dramamine in the evening (starting with the night before we sailed) and I supplemented with ginger ale. I never felt ill - though was tired early in the evening.
One Bonine tablet lasts 24 hours and then Dramamine on top of that? I'm surprised you were just tired, I would have passed out cold.

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic Eastern 2004 DCL Magic Western 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014
Zandy595 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:44 PM   #25
jiminyC_fan
Missing Captain Mickey!
always let your conscience be your guide
Gotta love popcorn!

We use meclizine which is the active ingredient in Bonine. We save mega bucks by buying it at the Target pharmacy. Ask for "Travel Sickness Pills". It comes in a bottle of 100 for I believe 5.00. Bonine is so expensive just because it is brand name. We take it the night before we cruise and every night thereafter. It takes a long time to "play" catch up if you hit rough seas and isn't worth it to us to waste those hours so we just take it daily. That worked for us when Hurricane Hilary changed its course on our EBPC cruise in 2005. So many people were sick but we were perfectly fine. In fact, we loved that cruise the most.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:38 PM   #26
storknurse13
Mouseketeer

I get extremely sea sick. On our last cruise a doctor prescribed me the scopolamine patch. I ended up in the medical clinic with severe nausea and vomiting. The MD in the clinic removed my patch, gave me an IV and phenergan and in the morning I was 100% better. Nasty side effect from the patch is vomiting! No thank you! I will go back to my Bonine beginning 2 days prior to boarding then every morning until 2 days after debarkation!
DCL Fantasy April 2013~Concierge, DCL Magic January 2012~Concierge, WDW April 2011~DS 3 weeks old/DD 4th Bday, WDW Dec 2009~DS 1st Bday, RCI Jewel Of The Seas 30~Oct 2010/ 13 Night Special Caribbean Cruise, RCI Mariner Of The Seas Mariner Of The Seas~May 2008/ 7 Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise, RCI Freedom Of The Seas~Oct-2006/ 7 Night Western Caribbean Cruise, RCI Jewel Of The Seas~Oct-2004/ 10 Night Canada/New England Cruise, RCI Enchantment Of The Seas~May-2004/ 5 Night Western Caribbean Cruise, RCI Navigator Of The Seas~Oct-2003/ 7 Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise, RCI Explorer Of The Seas~Oct-2002/ 7-Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise, CCL Triumph~October 2000/ 7 night Western Caribbean Cruise, RCI Sovereign Of The Seas~Oct-1997/ 4 Night Bahamas Cruise, WDW-New Year's Eve 1985, WDW-Family Reunion Vacation 1982

storknurse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:15 PM   #27
Kenny1113
Earning My Ears

Bonine! Works every time and does not make me drowsy. I heard about it several years ago on dcl boards.
Kenny1113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:32 AM   #28
MnMzMoMi4LiFe
Earning My Ears

**NEWBIE QUESTION**
Has anyone tried Sea-Bands as well? We've never been on a large ship only ferries but my daughter gets car sick occasionally. I don't want to give her unnecessary meds if she doesn't need it

“If my mind can conceive it, and my heart can believe it - then I can achieve it.” ― Muhammad Ali
MnMzMoMi4LiFe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:39 AM   #29
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

Now I am curious--why a "Green" apple and not some other?

What exactly is there in a green apple that helps with sea sickness???
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:48 AM   #30
eeyoreandtink
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandy595 View Post
One Bonine tablet lasts 24 hours and then Dramamine on top of that? I'm surprised you were just tired, I would have passed out cold.
Bonine dose is 1-2 tablets in a 24 hour period, so one bonine and one Dramamine is within the recommended. DH and I take 2 bonine tablets before bed every night starting 24 hours before we cruise and don't get sick. DD takes 1 tablet every night. For reference, I cannot ride in the back seat of a car without feeling sick so I am sure I would be miserable without it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleromulus View Post
Now I am curious--why a "Green" apple and not some other?

What exactly is there in a green apple that helps with sea sickness???
They are higher in citric acid for one thing, that helps with nausea. I used citrus fruit and green apples when I was sick and pregnant.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: