Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Did you get seasick, and if so how did you remdy it?
No seasickness/never get sick 29 39.73%
Felt ill, but did not treat it 2 2.74%
Never felt ill but took preventative measures (please share in comments!) 16 21.92%
Used a remedy that worked (please share in comments!) 24 32.88%
Used a remedy that didn't work (please share in comments!) 2 2.74%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2014, 12:16 AM   #1
Swimmergirl
DIS Veteran

Seasickness & Remedies Poll

My family leaves on our 4th cruise next month. None of us have ever experienced seasickness. However, this trip will be the first time we've cruise outside the Bahamas, and I imagine the open waters of the eastern Caribbean will be rougher. So, I'm curious about others' experiences with seasickness and its remedies!

Did you experience seasickness?
If so, did you just ride it out or try something to alleviate it?
What worked and what didn't?

Aug 1996 - Dixie Landings, Jul 2002 - WL & Disney Wonder (Honeymoon!!), Jul 2003 - CR (1st Anniversary!), May 2005 - Poly, May 2006 - POR/SSR/Poly (Mother's Day Suprise!), Jun 2007 - Disneyland, Apr 2008 - WL & Disney Wonder, Oct 2008 - OKW, Oct 2009 - Offsite, Jul 2010 - POR, Jun 2011 - BLT, Dec 2011 - OKW, Aug 2012 - OKW & Disney Dream, Jun 2013 - BLT, Aug 2014 - AKV & Disney Fantasy
Swimmergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:23 AM   #2
Carrie in AZ
DIS Veteran

Well, I can tell you I worried about this A LOT before we sailed last October. I mean, really, really worried about getting sick. I read every post here about it.

What I did for my family of four, I bought Bonine and we tried it about two weeks before we sailed. Good thing we did because we all did not do well on it. DH and I felt totally out of it the next day and soooooo tired and agitated.

Instead, I bought ginger capsules at GNC and ginger gum at CVS. We all took a ginger capsule in the morning and one at night. None of us had any issues but our seas were very smooth. For the rough motor boat ride on our excursion on GC, I chewed the gum.

Bottom line, not a hint of sea sickness whatsoever. But, I still think it was due to calm seas. I pray these capsules and gum would have made a difference if we had rougher seas.

Good luck. I know the worry you are feeling and pray sea sickness will not be a factor for your family!
July 2013 Aulani
June 2012 - GCH July 2012 - Aulani
June 2011 - CR/BCV
Thanksgiving 2010 - Disneyland
Nov 2009 - CR/Poly Oct 2009 - GCH Nov 2008 - BC
June 2008 - GCH Oct 2007 - DLH
Nov 2006 - POR June 2004 - DLH
Apr 2002 - POR Nov 1999 - Dixie Landings
Carrie in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2014, 02:11 AM   #3
eyesing4u
DVC Member

I get extremely seasick. I always have the doctor prescribe the scopolamine (sp?) patch. I have tried to do without and on mild days the Bonine suffices but I find that the patch is the only thing that works for me on rough sea days.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:30 AM   #4
squirrel
DIS Veteran

Bonine, I voted it worked but I started taking it the night before the cruise. I'm sure I would have been sick without it. Can't ride in the back of a van, read while in a car, etc.

I have used it twice (two cruises) and will do so from now on. Some have reported feeling more tired but I never noticed anything. I always took it at night, and I didn't think I slept longer or anything. No side effects for me either.
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:05 AM   #5
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
However, this trip will be the first time we've cruise outside the Bahamas, and I imagine the open waters of the eastern Caribbean will be rougher.
2 Bahamas cruises and one Eastern (St Maarten and San Juan). I've only felt a little off on the Bahamas cruises, and ONLY on the first night leaving the PC area. The ocean on the Eastern cruise was awesome and fabulous and amazing.

I was ill once on our first cruise, an Alaska sailing, but there were two factors. One, it was the night we left the Inside Passage to go up to whatever glacier we were going towards. And two, I was pregnant, but so newly pregnant the tests wouldn't have worked yet, but it was so incredibly obvious it wasn't even funny...changes in my figure, could smell EVERYTHING around me (that's difficult on a cruiseship, especially in '03 when people could still smoke in more places than they can now), I was going to sleep at 8 when I'm normally a nightowl. Anyway, I was sick that ONE morning and that's it.

So basically that's 4 cruises, one morning being sick for an hour, two woozy evenings, and everything else was just fine. And you've done even better with 4 cruises and NO sickness. I"m not concerned about being ill on a cruise and I'm not sure why you are, either, given your history!

That said, my MIL was recently on a cruise and got a bit ill one night. Her server noticed and brought out a green apple for her. She ate it and felt better almost immediately. Wasn't sick again on the cruise.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:20 AM   #6
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet

I am VERY prone to motion sickness and the only thing that works for me is Bonine. I take it the night before the cruise and every night I'm on the ship.
I have tried SeaBands and ginger pills, which don't work at all.

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic 2004, 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014 DCL Fantasy 2015
Zandy595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:25 AM   #7
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

I don't know if I'd be sick or not..took Bonine (got the generic, meclyzine, for cheap) and start it day before, take it first thing in the morning and before dinner, and did fine, then take it a day of so after the cruise. I also have a patch perscription I take with me just in case, but am kind of nervous about it as some of the side effects seem rough.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:28 AM   #8
MaleficentRN
DIS Veteran

I started taking Bonine two days before we sailed, then every night, and two days afterward. I never felt sea sick or land sick.

MaleficentRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:33 AM   #9
chuckm403
EPCOT fan

I take Bonine the first 2 days of any cruise. I'm fine after that and don't take it for the rest of the trip.

Offsite: 9/91, DxL: 9/97, BC: 9/99, 9/00, 4/05, CBR: 9/05, WL: 4/08
YC: 10/02, 12/03, 9/06, 9/09, 9/11, 9/12, 4/13
Magic: 9/99, 10/10
Dream: 4/13
Fantasy: 9/14

chuckm403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:36 AM   #10
ludari
DIS Veteran

I used to very rarely get seasick but after spending more and more time on small boats in rough waters cruising on a big ship is just a cake walk.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015

Last edited by ludari; 07-09-2014 at 08:28 AM.
ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:19 AM   #11
cattrix
Look deeply into my eyes...you're getting sleepy....now tell me where the Fancy Feast is.....

I get really bad motion sickness, I start taking Bonine 1 day before I leave for any trip. We had pretty rough seas on our Alaskan cruise and I had no problems at all.

I only take 1 pill every 24 hours and I don't have drowsiness or other side effects.

"All of us learn to write in the second grade. Most of us go on to greater things." Bobby Knight
cattrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:28 AM   #12
nancipants
Mouseketeer

I have tried many motion sickness remedies: dramamine, bonine, the patch, sea bands, and ginger. The patch worked, but I hated having to go to the doctor for it, and it also made me slightly drowsy. Dramamine knocks me out cold so that doesn't work. Sea bands didn't work for me at all. Bonine works and used to be my main medication, but in recent years it's made me very groggy.

Ginger is the only remedy I've found that works without giving me drowsy side effects.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:35 AM   #13
Mickeys Carol
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie in AZ View Post
Well, I can tell you I worried about this A LOT before we sailed last October. I mean, really, really worried about getting sick. I read every post here about it.

What I did for my family of four, I bought Bonine and we tried it about two weeks before we sailed. Good thing we did because we all did not do well on it. DH and I felt totally out of it the next day and soooooo tired and agitated.

Instead, I bought ginger capsules at GNC and ginger gum at CVS. We all took a ginger capsule in the morning and one at night. None of us had any issues but our seas were very smooth. For the rough motor boat ride on our excursion on GC, I chewed the gum.

Bottom line, not a hint of sea sickness whatsoever. But, I still think it was due to calm seas. I pray these capsules and gum would have made a difference if we had rougher seas.

Good luck. I know the worry you are feeling and pray sea sickness will not be a factor for your family!
We too, take ginger capsules to prevent sea sickness. We start taking them 2 days before we sail. We also drink Canada Dry Ginger Ale. So far so good. On our first cruise, we did not have anything and my stomach felt queasy on the first night. I had to learn the hard way.. lol

I also took ginger capsules during a cruise with Hurricane Sandy. The waters were really rough...no problems at all with sea sickness.

Have fun on your cruise..
Mickeys Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:36 AM   #14
TAK
Mouseketeer

I had bad luck with seasickness. I didn't expect to have a problem because I go in small boats all the time and it never bothers me. But the sway of the big ship did a number on my equilibrium and I had "land legs" ("Mal de Debarkment syndrome" they call it) for a month after the cruise. Once it started I took Dramamine, used the bands, etc., but none of it helped.

What I've been told -- and is being reitereated in this thread above -- is that you need to start the treatment *before* you get on the ship, and that it makes all the difference. I'm going to be sure to do that next cruise!

~~Disney Fantasy January 2014 - 7-Day Eastern Caribbean~~ Honeymoon Cruise!
~~Next: Disney Fantasy January 2 - 9, 2016 7-Day Eastern Caribbean!!!~~
TAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:44 AM   #15
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

First off, I think you will be fine. We have cruised in the Bahamas and in the Caribbean and felt no real difference. Just depended more on weather and speed (one cruise we had to get a medical emergency dropped off and the boat hauled butt...I felt that).

I do get motion sickness, though it has gotten better after 8 cruises. I don't like taking the meds, they make me just want to lay around. So, I take ginger pills (got at CVS and start them a couple days before the trip) and wear Seabands on my wrists (also at CVS). That worked for me. Last cruise, last Aug, I didn't need any of that though. Eating a green apple may help too (might be on buffet).
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: