Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2014, 08:25 PM   #1
Frozen2014
DIS Veteran

Boma, The Wave or Kona for Breakfast?

I made all our ADRs back in April at our 180 day mark and am happy about our selections. However, we have one day that we have not booked anything (not a park day and will probably go offsite). We were not planning on having any Disney meals, but there are still some places I'd like to try out. So my question is:

Which do you recommend for breakfast:
  1. Boma
  2. The Wave
  3. Kona

Note that aside from DH, the rest of us are not too adventurous (i.e. is there enough at Boma?)

We have a car so could start our day there and then head offsite if we are doing so.

Disney World Trip Report - Oct 2014
Frozen2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:12 PM   #2
mum2four
DIS Veteran

All three are good, but Boma would be the winner for me, hands down! There are plenty of traditional offerings at Boma to please everyone.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2014, 07:25 AM   #3
DisneyDiana
DIS Veteran

Boma, without question. There are all the basic breakfast foods, mickey waffles, eggs, bagels, fruit, chocolate chip pancakes, but much, much more....I am having major Boma withdrawals right now just thinking about it.

DisneyDiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:09 AM   #4
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

I'm going to go Wave on this one!
MrsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:21 AM   #5
Frozen2014
DIS Veteran

I booked an ADR for Boma for now, but for those that pick it, can I ask why? I will say that I booked it as I keep seeing people mentioning it as great, but from the menu it's hard to tell (and i don't even recognize some food names, plus it seems meat heavy, which I don't eat...but Dh does).

I do like the fact that The Wave has healthier items and it looks like you can order buffet or off menu. And Kona seems to have some neat items (but although I have a sweet tooth, I prefer to keep that to dessert and not breakfast)

Last edited by Frozen2014; 07-08-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:23 AM   #6
DisneyDiana
DIS Veteran

I am a vegetarian and Boma is my absolute favorite breakfast anywhere. The roasted tomatoes and asparagus, fruit, goat cheeses and chive scrambled eggs, bread pudding french toast with toffee syrup...there isn't a menu just buffet. You wouldn't really need a menu, anything you could think of for breakfast is on the buffet. I would look at reviews with pictures if you're unsure.

DisneyDiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #7
smfnj
The ribs are on the smoker!!!

That depends on whether you'll be in the mood for Kenyan press pot (Boma) or Hawaiian press pot (Kona). Based on the food though - Boma.

Steve
smfnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:42 AM   #8
mum2four
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen2014 View Post
I booked an ADR for Boma for now, but for those that pick it, can I ask why? I will say that I booked it as I keep seeing people mentioning it as great, but from the menu it's hard to tell (and i don't even recognize some food names, plus it seems meat heavy, which I don't eat...but Dh does).

I do like the fact that The Wave has healthier items and it looks like you can order buffet or off menu. And Kona seems to have some neat items (but although I have a sweet tooth, I prefer to keep that to dessert and not breakfast)
I agree, it's hard to judge a buffet just by looking at the online menu. We love Boma because of the wide variety, the food is fresh and delicious, the CM's have always been very friendly, and you just can't beat the atmosphere at AKL!

The Wave is also good for breakfast, but we feel Boma is definitely a few notches above in service and atmosphere!
Old 07-08-2014, 09:57 AM   #9
prgal0715
Mouseketeer

Throwing my hat in the ring for...KONA!! The Tonga Toast is so, so delicious and definitely a signature Disney dish. The Kona coffee is also phenomenal; I easily drink two pots myself! This is one Poly restaurant I'll ignore the construction for.

1st WDW trip - 1980
Most recent WDW trip - August 2014
Next WDW trip - January 2015

Twitter: @btripp715
Instagram: btripp715

prgal0715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:16 PM   #10
Frozen2014
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDiana View Post
I am a vegetarian and Boma is my absolute favorite breakfast anywhere. The roasted tomatoes and asparagus, fruit, goat cheeses and chive scrambled eggs, bread pudding french toast with toffee syrup...there isn't a menu just buffet. You wouldn't really need a menu, anything you could think of for breakfast is on the buffet. I would look at reviews with pictures if you're unsure.
This is very good to know...and yum, that sounds delicious. I did check out trip advisor and it gave it something like #65 out of 3000 or so, but of course that is not just breakfast. Actually, I never would have selected Boma, except I've seen wonderful comment on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smfnj View Post
That depends on whether you'll be in the mood for Kenyan press pot (Boma) or Hawaiian press pot (Kona). Based on the food though - Boma.

Steve
Not sure the difference, but Dh and I both love our coffee. Both sound lovely.
And we already have Ohana dinner ADR, so know to expect (and ignore) any construction going on.

The Tonga Toast (Kona) and bread pudding french toast (Boma) both sound lovely, but also quite decadent for breakfast.

Thank you.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:36 PM   #11
jessicar82
Earning My Ears

We have never been to Wave or Boma but we ALWAYS visit Kona for the tonga toast at least once per visit. It's soooo good!

Sept 2014-Beach Club Villas!
Sept 2013-Boardwalk Villas
March 2013-Saratoga Springs
Sept 2011-Pop Century
Sept 2010-Port Orleans Riverside
Sept 2009-All Star Movies
Feb 2008-Pop Century
Feb 2007-off site
jessicar82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:53 PM   #12
Moniqu17
Mouseketeer

We aren't too adventurous so we haven't tried Boma for breakfast but we go at least once to Kona for breakfast and I'm trying to decide if I want to go twice next time. I can't have tonga toast but my husband likes it. I love the macadamia nut pancakes though.
Moniqu17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:57 PM   #13
dmaxphil
Mouseketeer

Kona with Boma a close 2nd. If on a meal plan I would say Boma. Never done Wave breakfast.
dmaxphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:09 PM   #14
kbonner
Mouseketeer

Boma is the winner for me.

kbonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #15
4Ds4Diz
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen2014 View Post
I made all our ADRs back in April at our 180 day mark and am happy about our selections. However, we have one day that we have not booked anything (not a park day and will probably go offsite). We were not planning on having any Disney meals, but there are still some places I'd like to try out. So my question is:

Which do you recommend for breakfast:
  1. Boma
  2. The Wave
  3. Kona

Note that aside from DH, the rest of us are not too adventurous (i.e. is there enough at Boma?)
Well I cant speak for Boma, but I have heard many great reviews. The Wave is nice, laid back and typically not crowded. Buffet is good and so are the pumpkin pancakes.

BUT and I say BUT, I would go with Kona without even thinking about it. Last trip we did a 3 night stay before a cruise. We ate at Kona twice and the Wave once. Love love love Kona. We went twice so I could get the Tonga Toast and Macadamia Pineapple pancakes in the one trip! Silly me I have to get both in on a trip! It is a must do for us when we go...my kids love it there too!

FAMILY OF GREYHOUND LOVERS
4Ds4Diz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: