Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you order the most bang for your buck or do you just order what you wan
I typically try to get the best bang for my buck on DDP 30 37.04%
I use DDP for the convenience & pay no attention to cost value 51 62.96%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2014, 09:06 PM   #16
beachbumbob
bum of the beach named bob

I happen to love filet mignon and beef tenderloin, which are usually the most expensive (or close to it) on many of the TS menus. So ordering what I want to eat usually gives me the best bang for my DDP credits anyway.
beachbumbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:18 PM   #17
Googilycub
Mouseketeer

I order what I want. Sometimes when I look at a menu I might hesitate against an entree because of the price, but on the dining plan I can order anything and not worry about it. I normally do a fish or vegetarian dish, so I normally pick the veggie dish because of the price. On the dining plan I might skip the veggies because the extra $15 for an entree isn't swaying my opinion.
Googilycub is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-07-2014, 09:46 PM   #18
brertoad
DIS Veteran

I will not order the most expensive items unless that is what I want to eat. We save a little with the DlxDP, but we're also spending a lot - definitely more than what we would spend if paying OOP. For example, we don't both get appetizers and desserts with every meal unless we are on the DlxDP.

If paying OOP, I could eat a lot less and still be happy with what I order. I could just get a soup and salad, or just an appetizer, or just an entree.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:46 PM   #19
LJSquishy
DIS Veteran

We had free dining when we went and tried to get the most bang for our credits for the most part. A few times we had less expensive meals but did consciously choose the more expensive meals the majority of the time.

We will never get the dining plan again (free or not) since we would eat differently without it...we wouldn't normally get a beverage at each meal, nor would we get desserts. We would save money paying OOP for the food we really want.

Me-30: -&- DH-34:
LJSquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:43 PM   #20
krismanda
Mouseketeer

I go for what I want. The only time I consider cost is when trying to decide what to pay out of pocket for if we go over our number of TS credits.

I've seen a lot of breakdowns and I believe we are probably just breaking even but I do like prepaying it.
krismanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:50 PM   #21
Melanie B
DIS Veteran

For us we always get our money's worth from which ever plan we use but I never look at it that I have to order the most expensive thing or what has the largest portion. I order what sounds good to me at that moment.

Feb 2015 Port Orleans Riverside
Nov 2013 All Star Music
July 2012 Port Orleans Riverside
Aug 2010 Caribbean Beach
Melanie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:18 PM   #22
SandiR
Mouseketeer

Heck no. One of the reasons I love the DDP, because I don't even have to look at prices, so I usually don't.

I really don't get the DDP hate here. I like the DDP because once I've paid for it, I'm done. I can relax and enjoy my vacation without worrying about cost. Without the DDP, my husband would try to talk me into quick service places for dinner every night or he'd agree to table service and then order the cheapest thing. So the DDP just makes our trip much easier and more enjoyable.
SandiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:41 AM   #23
sethschroeder
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandiR View Post
Heck no. One of the reasons I love the DDP, because I don't even have to look at prices, so I usually don't.

I really don't get the DDP hate here. I like the DDP because once I've paid for it, I'm done. I can relax and enjoy my vacation without worrying about cost. Without the DDP, my husband would try to talk me into quick service places for dinner every night or he'd agree to table service and then order the cheapest thing. So the DDP just makes our trip much easier and more enjoyable.
I think because quite a few people feel free dining and DDP cause Disney to shortcut the food options.

I personally order last summer 1 or 2 things that were not on the DDP (Artist Point had a nice cheese tray I remember). I personally hope more resturants start to seperate 1-2 apps and entres from the DDP to allow for a better class of food and more Chef creativity as they are not capped by a cost to stay under for DDP.

Inclusive and all you can eat usually is the downfall of great food. I personally think disney food is still really good so they seem to be handling the DDP alright.
1984 Born; 1985 DL; 1989 WDW; 1991 DL; 2013 BWI CL- (Honeymoon); 2014 September 3-14 - BWV - (Celebrating 1st Anniversary); 2014 September 14-15 - UNI RPR
sethschroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:19 AM   #24
quakechicago
ADR-making addict!

Nah as my DH can testify I never look at prices. lol

We just order what sounds good (which can be tricky between my picky/foodie tendencies and our food allergies).

I pay to upgrade us to the deluxe plan and then everyone can get whatever they want even if in the case of desserts where we all try a bit of each other's.

Then everyone's happy and no one from my Mom to my DH is constantly adding.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:25 AM   #25
krismanda
Mouseketeer

I don't have a strong feeling about it either way but I do think it's interesting that some of the points people make against ddp really seem to contradict eachother.

I mean, on one hand, people say they don't like it because they aren't really saving money or if they are it is an insignificant savings that you really only get if you are having expensive choices at every meal.

On the other, it's bringing the food down because Disney is cheapening their offerings to be able to make a profit.

How is it not really any savings, and a burden for Disney profit wise all at the same time ? Lol
krismanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:11 AM   #26
CSchex
Mouseketeer

We usually go with free dining

We always have the dining plan when we go. That being said, out of 8 trips since 2007, we have only paid for the dining plan twice. We never try to order the most expensive thing on the menu, we just order what we feel like that night. We don't search out the most expensive restaurants and try to maximize value, we simply pick restaurants where we like the menu. We have received the dining plan free for 6 out of the 8 trips, so I certainly don't feel pressured to get my money's worth. The 2 times we have paid for it, it was more about pre-payment for me than saving money. I have two teenagers and my husband, and they eat a lot! I liked the dining plan because I did not have to worry about a food budget. We enjoy a table service meal each night and use all the snacks on the plan. The main feature was that I did not have to think about the cost while we were on vacation. We saved money - I have no doubt about that - we kept all the receipts and added them up when we got back home. I am an accountant and I just had to know! When compared to a room only discount (typically 30% at a moderate, which amounts to about $70 per night) we do save more with free dining, as we have 4 people.
CSchex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:16 AM   #27
dawnhaze
DIS Veteran

I don't order expensive entrees just to get the most out of the dining plan... The dining plan lets me order the expensive entrees I want without the sticker shock at every meal. I like steaks and seafood, but if I'm paying OOP, I'm probably going to order the chicken or the pasta.

(Exact trip dates a work-in-progress!)
dawnhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:13 AM   #28
RobynPrincess
Looking around

When we had the DDP (before TiW) I would always just got for what I fancied. Hubby often went for a more expensive item but again, only if it was what he fancied to eat. No point eating the most expensive thing when what you really fancy is the cheapest.
RobynPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:22 AM   #29
Three cats
DIS Veteran

We definitely don't pay attention to what costs what when we order. We just order what we want. For us that is the beauty of having the dining plan.
Three cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:10 AM   #30
mcconnellfam96
DIS Veteran

We are not big steak or seafood eaters....so, it became clear to us that the DDP doesn't make much economical sense for our family. We are consistently ordering chicken dishes, salads or sandwiches and our (Disney adult) kids are ordering lots of burgers. Plus, we seldom order a dessert with a meal. Not the best choices to "make the most" of your dining plan!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: