Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2014, 07:21 PM   #16
TheLittleKatie
There's no use in grumbling when raindrops come tumbling :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotBill View Post
It used to be only those truly delighted or truly unhappy posted reviews. Now there is a wide range and you need to read those reviews to understand what the motives may be.
This is true, it's good to check out the 4* and 3* ratings to get a good idea of the pros and cons of a hotel.
I'm definitely going to start doing some reviews
Old 07-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #17
tinkerbella16
DIS Veteran

Glad to see my favorite in the Top 10 at #6! Surprised that Riverside is #14... This is such a popular resort and one that can cater to a family of 5, so they can save a bit by staying there instead of deluxe. But I am glad to see WL and AKL do so well in the ranks- they are reasonably priced without going too far like the others.

If it were my list POFQ would be at the top at #1 with Riverside at #2.

tinkerbella16 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2014, 11:47 PM   #18
disney meema
DIS Veteran

Our upcoming stay is at #4 animal kingdom lodge and number #9 Floridian ... The holiday inn surprised me the most
disney meema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:12 AM   #19
Happyjen27
DIS Veteran

I think that CR and Poly are both suffering from the syndrome a PP mentioned, at that price point, one expects a lot more. Expectations set by a dollar amount are not met. The reason I gladly pay that price point is only in comparison to what I would get elsewhere on Disney Property.

When comparing hotels outside of the Disney Bubble; what the same dollars buy me elsewhere is staggeringly depressing when compared to the rooms at Poly and even CR.

Dec 2012: Polynesian, my first trip
Dec 2013: Contemporary
2014: 2 Non-Disney trips planned, going to wait and see how this whole FP+ thing shakes out.
Happyjen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:01 PM   #20
saskdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danadanes View Post
I imagine the low Coronado rating stems from the fact that a LOT of people staying there and reviewing it (conventioneers) never wanted to be in Disney World in the first place. And, for the price no Disney moderate will stack up to a Marriott or a Hilton. They just aren't as nice. You pay for the bubble, but if you never wanted to be in the bubble in the first place...low rating.
This is exactly what I was going to say!

Most of the reviews don't reflect Disney vacationers.
saskdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:07 PM   #21
Judyfun
Mouseketeer

Surprised that Coronado Springs made it in the top. I just stayed there (convention) and it was over 900 steps from my room to the lobby. I also dislike the food court. This was me second stay there, first time I had my DD and DGD with me and didn't like it then.

Boardwalk/Poly/BC & AKL are my fav's
Old 07-09-2014, 12:39 PM   #22
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night

CBR should be up MUCH higher. It's a lovely resort and has a good food court and lots of pools. Very family friendly. Plus the rooms are spacious!

Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015
Trip reports! :: Feb 2012 TR ~ PTR ~ No Faith in Google Maps, Trust and Pixie Dust! ~ Ohana Means Family, Family Means Dad is Left Behind For A Girly Trip!

Sparkly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:55 PM   #23
MakiraMarlena
It's a big black fish to you

I am betting that CSR gets reviewed more often by business guests who are there for conventions and are used to fancier rooms and hotel amenities and less walking from place to place than you'd regularly get at a WDW resort. Most WDW resorts are places to sleep and shower and access to the parks - park guests don't stick around them all day for the most part. You'd think they'd fancy it up more if the main draw is a convention center, but the rooms aren't really any different from the other moderates. Of course CSR is the only moderate with suites and a fitness center.

I do want to know what is so special about that Holiday Inn. And look how high they rate Saratoga Springs! #7! Who'd have thought?
MakiraMarlena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:02 PM   #24
TheLittleKatie
There's no use in grumbling when raindrops come tumbling :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyjen27 View Post
I think that CR and Poly are both suffering from the syndrome a PP mentioned, at that price point, one expects a lot more. Expectations set by a dollar amount are not met. The reason I gladly pay that price point is only in comparison to what I would get elsewhere on Disney Property.

When comparing hotels outside of the Disney Bubble; what the same dollars buy me elsewhere is staggeringly depressing when compared to the rooms at Poly and even CR.
Exactly. It's a shame they're rated so low because they're beautiful resorts, but at the end of the day you can get a lot more for your money elsewhere.

Personally I couldn't imagine going to Disney and not staying on property though

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakiraMarlena View Post
And look how high they rate Saratoga Springs! #7! Who'd have thought?
I almost commented on this, I wondered whether Saratoga Springs was actually popular outside of my own ignorance. They're certainly doing something right!
Old 07-09-2014, 08:18 PM   #25
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

Where's AofA? It's been around for a few years now.
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:45 PM   #26
clapton
Mouseketeer

Holiday Inn better then GF! Doubtful!! Don't take this list too seriously!
clapton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:39 PM   #27
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskdw View Post
This is exactly what I was going to say!

Most of the reviews don't reflect Disney vacationers.
Totally agree. We've stayed at the CSR ten times and I would not hesitate to go back if we didn't always rent points and stay DVC now.

I've stayed at hotels in other states that Trip Advisor ranked, and you couldn't pay me to go back to them. I don't put a little stock into their stuff.

RIP Genie
KatMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:06 PM   #28
dfaithberry
Earning My Ears

Riverside vs French Quarter

I am surprised Riverside is so much lower on the list than riverside. I have never stayed at neither but when booking not only did the cast member recommend riverside but so did the majority of people on a disney facebook page. Any ideas why?

November 9 - 17, 2014...counting the days
dfaithberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:19 AM   #29
lacrosse_lady72
I <3 Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeebarb View Post
I'm surprised and pleased to Saratoga so high up. Based on how little it's discussed on disboards, I am sort of expecting an 'eh' experience. Maybe it's because tripadvisor has more international travelers and they stay here more often due to price and dvc rentals? I don't know.
Truthfully, I was very impressed with SSR. The only thing I didn't like was the buses, and that was only because we had a couple of horrible waits at the resort.

It's very nice, the grounds are beautiful, and if you like going to DTD, it's perfect. It's little discussed here because it's basically a DVC resort. Not many people here book it outside of the DVC world. We booked our stay via DVC rental. Actually, I think it's popular with those from the UK... at least from what I've read here.

I think if I didn't love WL so much, I'd always stay at SSR.

WDW: JULY/AUGUST 2002, MARCH 2004, MARCH/APRIL 2005, SEPTEMBER 2006, SEPTEMBER 2007, SEPTEMBER 2008, SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER 2009, APRIL 2010, SEPTEMBER 2011, SEPTEMBER 2013, SEPTEMBER 2015
DLR: APRIL 1998, DECEMBER 2005, JANUARY 2012, JANUARY 2013

lacrosse_lady72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:42 AM   #30
jedi jen
Mouseketeer

I am a CR fan. Usually it is the cheapest room on the monorail. I love the convenience, given all the walking and crowds at WDW. I have stayed at Poly and actually prefer CR. And, if you get a room in the tower, the view is spectacular in my opinion.
Planning 2014 Christmas trip at CR/Universal's RPR; First split stay July 2012-PBH-Universal/CR/Dolphin; Pop in November 2011-just me and DBF ; Poly in August 2008; July 2007 CR; July 2006 CR; Several trips offsite pre-2006

jedi jen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disney hotels, resort comparison, resort suggestions, trip planning

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: