Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2014, 02:50 PM   #1
TheLittleKatie
There's no use in grumbling when raindrops come tumbling, remember you're the one who can fill the world with sunshine :)

WDW hotels ranked #1 - #26 on Trip Advisor

Hi dis-ers

So I just checked out Trip Advisor's list of Disney World hotels.
These are ranked #1 - #26 based on customer reviews.

(I think a couple of these are known as Downtown Disney Hotels, but aren't official Disney Hotels. But I'll include them anyway.)

1. Holiday Inn Orlando - Lake Buena Vista
2. Wilderness Lodge
3. Villas at the Wilderness Lodge
4. Animal Kingdom Lodge
5. Bay Lake Tower
6. Port Orleans French Quarter
7. Saratoga Springs
8. Boardwalk Villas
9. Grand Floridian
10. Double Tree Suites at the Hilton - Lake Buena Vista
11. Boardwalk Inn
12. Old Key West
13. Beach Club
14. Port Orleans Riverside
15. Yacht Club
16. Beach Club Villas
17. Polynesian
18. Pop Century
19. Hilton - Lake Buena Vista
20. Swan and Dolphin
21. All Star Music
22. Contemporary
23. All Star Movies
24. All Star Sports
25. Caribbean Beach
26. Coronado Springs

I thought this would be an interesting conversation starter!

Personally I'm surprised at Coronado Springs being last on the list. I've never actually visited this resort, but the photos always look beautiful. Maybe it's last because it's so big and difficult to navigate?

I'm also fairly surprised that the Poly and the Contemporary are so far down the list. I'm assuming this is a price / value for money issue.

So what do you guys think of this list?
Anything that surprises you?
TheLittleKatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:14 PM   #2
DisneyChristmas
Mouseketeer since '55

Yes, our favorites are the Contemporary and Poly. They're at the top of our list!

I think that you're correct about Coronado being so large and hosting many large groups. I've not stayed there but have heard from friends that it's too convention like and not as "Disney" feeling.
DisneyChristmas is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-07-2014, 03:15 PM   #3
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Also surprised about CSR. It is large but certainly not difficult to navigate - it's a big circle, essentially. I'd think CBR would be harder to get around. I think with CSR, the conventions are a turn off and we found the food to be bad - it's different than other Disney food as the restaurants/food court are run by a third party vendor. We ordered a pizza and it was NOT the same as Disney pizza. It was a flatbread/thin crust type pizza. Not good. So that might put some people off.

Are these rankings just from best to worst? Is there any kind of weight on them based on the number of reviews?
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:29 PM   #4
TheLittleKatie
There's no use in grumbling when raindrops come tumbling, remember you're the one who can fill the world with sunshine :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyChristmas View Post
Yes, our favorites are the Contemporary and Poly. They're at the top of our list!
I know the Poly has a big following, I was expecting it to be much higher, at least top 10!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
Are these rankings just from best to worst? Is there any kind of weight on them based on the number of reviews?
The ratings are determined by the number of reviews, how favourable the reviews are, and how old or recent the reviews are.

Trip Advisor say they "use a proprietary algorithm to take into account what real travellers like you think - quantity, quality and recency of TripAdvisor reviews."

Old 07-07-2014, 04:11 PM   #5
Danadanes
Earning My Ears

Cs

I imagine the low Coronado rating stems from the fact that a LOT of people staying there and reviewing it (conventioneers) never wanted to be in Disney World in the first place. And, for the price no Disney moderate will stack up to a Marriott or a Hilton. They just aren't as nice. You pay for the bubble, but if you never wanted to be in the bubble in the first place...low rating.
Danadanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:24 PM   #6
elaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danadanes View Post
I imagine the low Coronado rating stems from the fact that a LOT of people staying there and reviewing it (conventioneers) never wanted to be in Disney World in the first place. And, for the price no Disney moderate will stack up to a Marriott or a Hilton. They just aren't as nice. You pay for the bubble, but if you never wanted to be in the bubble in the first place...low rating.
Good Point!
Old 07-07-2014, 04:55 PM   #7
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

We're not surprised at WL's high ranking. It offers so many Disney deluxe amenities in a beautiful location at a comparatively good price. It gets the value points for us!
GrandCalifornian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:01 PM   #8
XtraEdGe
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLittleKatie View Post
Hi dis-ers

So I just checked out Trip Advisor's list of Disney World hotels.
These are ranked #1 - #26 based on customer reviews.

(I think a couple of these are known as Downtown Disney Hotels, but aren't official Disney Hotels. But I'll include them anyway.)

1. Holiday Inn Orlando - Lake Buena Vista
2. Wilderness Lodge
3. Villas at the Wilderness Lodge
4. Animal Kingdom Lodge
5. Bay Lake Tower
6. Port Orleans French Quarter
7. Saratoga Springs
8. Boardwalk Villas
9. Grand Floridian
10. Double Tree Suites at the Hilton - Lake Buena Vista
11. Boardwalk Inn
12. Old Key West
13. Beach Club
14. Port Orleans Riverside
15. Yacht Club
16. Beach Club Villas
17. Polynesian
18. Pop Century
19. Hilton - Lake Buena Vista
20. Swan and Dolphin
21. All Star Music
22. Contemporary
23. All Star Movies
24. All Star Sports
25. Caribbean Beach
26. Coronado Springs

I thought this would be an interesting conversation starter!

Personally I'm surprised at Coronado Springs being last on the list. I've never actually visited this resort, but the photos always look beautiful. Maybe it's last because it's so big and difficult to navigate?

I'm also fairly surprised that the Poly and the Contemporary are so far down the list. I'm assuming this is a price / value for money issue.

So what do you guys think of this list?
Anything that surprises you?
Glad to know we're staying at the #2 ranked WDW resort this coming trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandCalifornian View Post
We're not surprised at WL's high ranking. It offers so many Disney deluxe amenities in a beautiful location at a comparatively good price. It gets the value points for us!
This is true. The location and the price that we got were the reasons why we chose this resort.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:04 PM   #9
toodycat
DIS Veteran

It's not surprising that the less expensive deluxes, WL and AKL, are near the top. Both are excellent and the price tags are not quite as off putting as GF or Poly where the prices are more likely to elicit the "This certainly wasn't worth x dollars per night"'review.Also, there is a cohort of trip advisor contributors who begin a lot of reviews with "I have stayed at many five star properties and this is not a TRUE five star" and that type of review would depress the rankings of some deluxes. I'm not surprised that CSR was at the bottom. If I were at WDW for business, I'd rather be at the Swan or the Dolphin. My last trip to CSR was over a decade ago, so it certainly may have improved since we decided not to return. But, we didn't find CSR food particularly great and the property was lacking in amenities business people might look for. The theming reminded me of a Hilton I stayed at Phoenix, which was not an atmosphere I was eager to replicate. As for navigating CSR, my mother-in-law stayed there for a charity convention and did not appreciate getting stuck in the rain waiting for the bus to get to the main banquet area. Certainly, there are resorts on that list with fewer amenities than CSR, but they probably lived up to the expectations of their guests more consistently.
Grand Floridian 00, 01, 09 '11 12
Polynesian 06, 00
Wilderness Lodge 05 Grand Californian 04
Animal Kingdom Lodge 02, 10 Coronado 02, 01
Disney Magic 12, 09, 06, 02, 01
Disney Wonder 05
offsite 83, 89, 91
toodycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:47 PM   #10
TheLittleKatie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danadanes View Post
That's a good point! I wouldn't have thought of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtraEdGe View Post
Glad to know we're staying at the #2 ranked WDW resort this coming trip.
Have a great time!!

Another thing that surprises me about this list is the difference between Port Orleans French Quarter (#6) and Port Orleans Riverside (#14). I MUCH prefer POR
Old 07-07-2014, 10:35 PM   #11
aimeebarb
Mouseketeer

I'm surprised and pleased to Saratoga so high up. Based on how little it's discussed on disboards, I am sort of expecting an 'eh' experience. Maybe it's because tripadvisor has more international travelers and they stay here more often due to price and dvc rentals? I don't know.

Me , DH , DD (6) , DD (6) , DS (baby) !
aimeebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:37 PM   #12
aimeebarb
Mouseketeer

Removing dupe post

Me , DH , DD (6) , DD (6) , DS (baby) !
aimeebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:42 PM   #13
andyman8
DIS Veteran

LOL at putting a Holiday Inn above GF. Personally, that's my favorite resort, so it'd be number one in my book!

Also, disappointed to see CBR so low. In my opinion, that resort offers a much better value than most of the others with Disney often offering some of the best specials for that resort. The size has never been a big deal for me (I usually get put close to OPR anyway) and the theming is just great!
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
andyman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:35 PM   #14
blackmamba10000
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeebarb View Post
I'm surprised and pleased to Saratoga so high up. Based on how little it's discussed on disboards, I am sort of expecting an 'eh' experience. Maybe it's because tripadvisor has more international travelers and they stay here more often due to price and dvc rentals? I don't know.
My husband's family live in Wales in the UK. This is where they stayed when they came to Disney World. I too was surprised to see it ranked so high.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:30 AM   #15
ParrotBill
A parrot's life for me
Stalked by a little Einstein

I use Tripadvisor a lot and write a lot of reviews there too. Placement is heavily dependent on # of reviews and their age.

Some resorts are now celebrating their Tripadvisor status and working hard to encourage guests to post reviews. It used to be only those truly delighted or truly unhappy posted reviews. Now there is a wide range and you need to read those reviews to understand what the motives may be.

I stayed at a resort in the Riviera Maya south of Cancun last week where the staff hands out little cards with tripadvisor info and the person's name suggesting you recognize their service. Brilliant. As a result, Hacienda Tres Rios has many reviews and a great standing among many resorts in their area.

If a few people post bad reviews, and there aren't many positive recent reviews, a hotel's status can fall like a rock! I always read recent bad reviews and try to figure out why they had a bad time. Most of the time they had bad expectations, or a bad meal, or ran into a cranky staff person. I look for the truly bad, like hot water not working, or hidden charges, before I decide if I agree with the rating.

BWV and OKW DVC since 1996, 40+ WDW, 2 DL, 1 DLP visits

ParrotBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disney hotels, resort comparison, resort suggestions, trip planning

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: