Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2014, 12:10 PM   #1
Cando86
Mouseketeer

Would you leave the park for dinner and miss out on valuable park time?

We'll be down in January of 2015. We've never tried Ohana and are looking forward to this reservation. However, the day our ADR is for is on our MK day. The park is open 9-11. Our ADR is at 5. Taking into account travel and eating time, we're going to be missing out on a few hours of park time. Our other option would be to make an ADR in the park, perhaps at Crystal Palace or Tony's to gain back a little bit of that lost time. What would you do?
TIA!

Cando86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:21 PM   #2
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cando86 View Post
We'll be down in January of 2015. We've never tried Ohana and are looking forward to this reservation. However, the day our ADR is for is on our MK day. The park is open 9-11. Our ADR is at 5. Taking into account travel and eating time, we're going to be missing out on a few hours of park time. Our other option would be to make an ADR in the park, perhaps at Crystal Palace or Tony's to gain back a little bit of that lost time. What would you do?
TIA!
It's going to vary a lot from family-to-family. For my family, we have several resort based meals throughout our vacation. So, for me, I wouldn't feel like I'm missing out on anything by going to 'Ohana (in fact, I've done that a couple of times on my MK day).

That being said, I would ask, is this your only MK day? Have you ever been to MK before? How long is your trip? If you have only a very limited amount of time (like it's your only MK day), then I would probably forgo a TS meal entirely and just get a quick QS meal.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-07-2014, 12:38 PM   #3
wdwrich
DIS Veteran

Quote:
TIA!
You're going to lose a bit of park time to dine anyway even if it's at CP or Tony's. The travel time to/from the Poly to dine at 'Ohana isn't exceptionally long. You have a choice of boat or monorail (or bus if the monorail isn't running). If you really are looking forward to 'Ohana, then I would say to go for it.

WDW - 11 visits since 1979 (Polynesian x5, P.O. Riverside x2, Contemporary x2, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, Shades of Green). Going back in 2015.
DLR - Yearly since 1984 (AP holders)
wdwrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:49 PM   #4
ArmyWife3-4
DIS Veteran

I would say head to 'Ohana. With an earlier ADR, you'll still be able to get back to the park before it closes. We like a break from the parks, and the resorts are so lovely to explore. I'd say totally worth it!
Many trips as a child * Honeymoon - POFQ Aug 2007 * 1st Anniversary while DH was deployed - POFQ Aug 2008 * DH's R&R trip - WL Apr 2009 * Expedition Everest Challenge with DH - Sept 26, 2009 - Beach Club * Princess Half Marathon 2010 - I DID IT! POFQ * Girls Trip August 2010 - Upgraded to AP's! - POFQ * Magical Christmas Trip with dear friends - December 2010 - WL Villas * Princess Half Marathon Feb/Mar 2011 - I DID IT - AGAIN! - AKL * Inaugural Tinkerbell Half Marathon January 2012 - Grand Californian Resort - Disneyland - Third time's a charm!* From Alaska to the mouse! - WL - Matthew's First Birthday - November 2013! * Just the girls! Pre-Christmas with the Mouse - December 7-11, 2014 - WL *

Loving life in Alaska, but we're far too far away from my favorite Mouse!

We're adopting from Ethiopia!
ArmyWife3-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:51 PM   #5
Altoqueenkelly
You gotta be original because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?

We have the same plan for our September trip. Our ohana ADR is at 5pm, we plan to ride the monorail over have a nice dinner and hop the monorail back at 6 or 7 in time to catch wishes oh, and it's our arrival day so I think it will be the perfect start to a great trip!!!

Countless Childhood trips to Ft. Wilderness*2003 Contemporary*2005 Port Orleans-Riverside*2009 Pop Century*2011 Pop Century*2014 AS-Sports
Altoqueenkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:59 PM   #6
supersnoop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
TIA!
Based on your signature, it doesn't look like this is your first trip to the Magic Kingdom, and I'm guessing it won't be your last. Depending on the day in January, you may be able to ride everything you want to before 5:00 p.m. that day. If you're looking forward to 'Ohana, I wouldn't think twice about what I'd "miss" by leaving the park.
supersnoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:04 PM   #7
Julylady
DIS Veteran

My family views the monorail as a "must do" ride. If we were to leave the park, monorail over to the Poly, have dinner, and then monorail back over to MK, they wouldn't even consider this an interruption to their day!
Julylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:40 PM   #8
Cando86
Mouseketeer

Thank you ALL so much! I feel much better about leaving the park for dinner now

Cando86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:54 PM   #9
RealBlast3
Mouseketeer

To answer the op's question, yes of course - why not? One of the major purposes of my vacations in Disney is to eat at the restaurants - and I know I'm not the only one. I get the deluxe dining plan exclusively for this purpose. I eat at TS 3 times a day 'cause why not - it's what I love to do and I usually stay for around 2 weeks and I have plenty of time to see everything and the 3 breaks in the day to eat help sustain me from park opening to park closing.
RealBlast3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:30 PM   #10
joannamet
Mouseketeer

By dinner time you'll be ready for a break. We never do parks from open to close. Its just too exhausting and makes getting up and out the next day much harder.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:46 PM   #11
FMAfan
Mouseketeer

I also agree that you should go for it. It really isn't that long to get to the Polynesian, and the monorail really is an attraction in and of itself, so you won't really be missing anything more than you would if you ate in the park.
"Human kind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth."-Alphonse Elric

Make pasta, not war.

FMAfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:29 PM   #12
mare1203
Mouseketeer

For me this would be a resounding "yes!". I can't handle being in the parks all day long, and I know I'll be back, so hitting everything every single time isn't an issue. I'd much rather explore all that WDW has to offer, and that very much includes resorts and resort dining.
mare1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:19 PM   #13
Kristina4109
Saying which Disney destination is better is like asking a Mom which kid she loves the most

We are "front loaders" - in other words, we always hit the parks at rope drop. So by dinner time, we are all ready to take a break. Sometimes we will take a break at a TS restaurant in a park, but we'll often go to a nearby resort for dinner. Our last trip, we headed from AK to Boma and were very happy for the break. We did the same thing for the Luau. I think you'll find it doesn't take a large chunk out of your day to have dinner at 'Ohana, especially if your day is being spent in the MK.
I've been BOO'ED!!!
Kristina4109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:57 PM   #14
Meriweather
Maybe we will have an arrival or two today
Time to share your chocolate!

Every one is different.
We leave all the time.....to eat, to go back to the resort for a rest.
But then our trips are usually 14 days and we don't have to tire ourselves out seeing everything in one day.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:51 PM   #15
Frozen2014
DIS Veteran

Sounds good to me. Are you planning on going at 9am? If so, that would be a fully day if staying late. This will give you a 'break' and a chance to put your feet up. And Ohana is supposed to be great. And as others have said, the monorail in itself will be like a ride. Plus a 5pm ADR will get you back in time for the Electrical Parade and fireworks. For us too, the TS is part of the vacation and if Ohana is on your wish list, then go for it.

Disney World Trip Report - Oct 2014
Frozen2014 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: