Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2014, 07:35 PM   #1
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

A Birthday Weekend Trip - July 2014 - Outer Rim/Contempo Cafe/The Wave 7/26

Last edited by Dis_Yoda; 07-26-2014 at 01:08 PM.
Dis_Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:53 PM   #2
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Introductions & Initial Plans

Dis_Yoda & Mr. Dis_Yoda at Star Wars Weekends in May:

Dis_Yoda:

Dis_Yoda eating a Yoda in May 2014 @ SWW

Mr. Dis_Yoda:

Mr. Dis_Yoda eating his favorite snack at L' Artisan des Glaces

We've been married over 6 years. We enjoy Disney & tend to go on a lot more weekend trips now that we live in Naples, FL. My work also allows me to have every other Friday off which works out well for these 2 to 3 night trips! I'm turning 28 during this trip. We have PAPs burning our pockets from the DVC deal so we're going for the weekend to enjoy all the "P" parts of the PAP.

Initial Plans:

July 9th
6:30PM: Zenato Wine Dinner @ Sea Salt Naples
While we don't actually leave for Disney until the 10th, I'm including a wine dinner we are going to on the 9th as its part of my birthday weekend activities. I had to change the dinner on the 10th to have my husband agree to this.

July 10th
8:00PM: Raglan Road
We haven't eaten dinner together here in almost 6 years, I think. As we are staying @ POFQ, this makes a great first day meal with the ability to take the boat to Downtown Disney.

July 11th
Breakfast: POFQ Food Court
Lunch: Counter Service @ Typhoon Lagoon.
I haven't a clue what we'll end up eating at Typhoon Lagoon but its all fast food choices anyway.
Dinner: Citricos
Mr. Dis_Yoda hasn't eaten a regular dinner at Citricos in a while either. I was able to enjoy a nice meal here in early May during my turned solo trip. A perfect meal type to have in the middle of a birthday trip!

July 12th
Lunch: Splitsville
Our plans for the day include bowling at Splitsville then going to Disney Quest. Post bowling, pre game playing we'll get a filling lunch here. I think I have a plate of the fries calling my name from the last time we were here
Dinner: Le Cellier
Our only park plans this trip are to eat dinner along with getting ice cream for my husband after dinner

July 13th

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-07-2014, 09:48 AM   #3
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Great line up!
Looking forward to reading all about it!
Oh and I LOVE the photo with the Jawa
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #4
jerseytinkerbell
DIS Veteran

Sounds like it should be a great trip! Looking forward to reading all about it. Have an awesome time and a fantastic birthday!
jerseytinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:03 PM   #5
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

have a great trip

chocolateMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:06 PM   #6
jabead
DIS Veteran

Your plans look great! Hope you have a great trip and a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread #1 - and - Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - Take 2

List of DISers with Upcoming Trips - and - Aug./Sept. Game - and - June/July Game

MAY 2012 REVIEW - DD's Graduation Celebration -and- NOV. 2011 REVIEW - Let them eat steak!

MAY 2011 REVIEW - My 50th Birthday -and- NOV. 2010 REVIEW - Our 25th Anniversary

DISNEY TRIPS: Aug. 2000 - BWV, CR, DTD Hilton (First Family Trip), Dec. 2000 -WLV,Dolphin, July 2001 - BC, AKL - CL, BWV, Poly, May 2002 - BWI, GF, AKL-CL, June 2002 - DLR's Grand Californian, March 2003 - Poly, BCV, March 2004 - POR, Dolphin, March 2006 - WL, Dolphin, Nov. 2006 - Poly, Nov. 2007 - YC, Poly, March 2008 - CR, YC, March 2010, Nov. 2010, May 2011 - BWI, Poly, Nov. 2011 - BWI, May 2012 - BWV, March 2013 - WL, Swan
jabead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:18 PM   #7
Niki Andiokno
Mouseketeer

Sounds great! Have a Magical birthday weekend.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:19 PM   #8
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Great line up!
Looking forward to reading all about it!
Oh and I LOVE the photo with the Jawa
Thank you! I'm looking forward to eating all of it!

The Jawa was so funny trying to take selfless with my phone. Probably the best part of the Star Wars breakfast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseytinkerbell View Post
Sounds like it should be a great trip! Looking forward to reading all about it. Have an awesome time and a fantastic birthday!
Tomorrow is going to be a very long day until I get home and can get on the road. I'm ready to be at Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolateMinnie View Post
have a great trip
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabead View Post
Your plans look great! Hope you have a great trip and a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
Thank you! It's not a milestone birthday (my next milestone one we should hopefully be in Aulani for) I can't wait to get to Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki Andiokno View Post
Sounds great! Have a Magical birthday weekend.
Thank you! I hope it turns out awesome as well.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:49 PM   #9
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Zenato Wine Dinner @ Sea Salt

Sea Salt is a local restaurant in Naples, FL down in the rich part of town, Third Street South. They host wine dinners from time to time & we've never actually gone to one but this one worked out in our schedule.

I am also slightly biased as a friend's husband is actually the chef at this restaurant so having had Thanksgiving at their house, I know he knows how to cook. (Duck Fat Fried Turkey = ) I went in with very high expectations for the $65 per person price tag.

We arrived about 20 minutes early as driving to this area of Naples is a crapshoot with traffic and parking so I rather be early then late. Luckily it isn't season so there wasn't a single issue. My husband was fine arriving early as he was able to continue watching the World Cup game at the bar.

As we were at the bar & this is my 'fancy' birthday dinner, I started the evening with what I know best: drinking:

A glass of J.P. Chanet sparkling wine.

It is a birthday dinner after all!

My friend arrived right as the clock turned 6:30 so we sat down with the rest of the tables. As it was with many paired dinners in Naples, the 3 of us were the youngest by at least 20 years but we had each other to keep company and talk and enjoy the food.

One of the things Sea Salt is known for is that with the bread, you are given three types of sea salt to enjoy as you wish with your meal.

I only enjoyed the extra salt with the olive oil with the bread but to be honest, I was only using it to soak up the wine so I had any chance of driving home.

The first wine was a Zenato Lugana 2013 which can mostly be compared closely to a chardonnay. It paired nicely with the initial dish.

Seared Scallop, Root Vegetable Puree, Speck, Green Apple Salad

As I've stated in previous reports, I'm not a huge fan of scallops. These ones were perfection though. They were never frozen and had no additional salt added so it maintained its natural sweetness. The green apple salad provided a crispness to the dish to balance it out with the seafood and the wine.

Our second course was paired with two wines. A Valpolicella Superiore & a Cormi. Drinking the wine by itself pre-course arrival, I enjoyed the Cormi more; however, once we started eating the veal, the Valpolicella developed a creaminess that perfectly matched the dish.

Veal Raviolini w/ Porcini Mushroom Sauce

This dish was great! The raviolini had just enough buffalo ricotta mixed with the braised veal to balance its richness. The sauce was a reduction with the veal stock that was just enough of an earthy tone to the dish.

Our 3rd Course was paired with a Ripassa & an Amarone

Braised Lamb Shank, Bacon Whipped Potatoes, Black Mission Fig
Sauce

The braised lamb was fork tender. I normally don't liked whipped potatoes thanks to the texture but the caramelized bacon throughout worked so well with the cream and butter in the potatoes, I could have eaten an entire pot of it and still not had my fill. The Fig Sauce was a reduction with the liquid from the lamb braising and the Amarone wine that paired so well with this dish.

All The Wines Together

Chestnut Fritters, Amerena Cherry Gelato, Creme Anglaise

There was no additional wine served with the 4th course. This was a good thing as 5 glasses of wine (plus my glass of champagne) meant I needed to sober up some. The amerena cherries were flown in from Italy and the gelato was so rich that it may be my favorite gelato beating out L' Artisan des Glaces by miles and miles! The chestnut fritters were the only real miss to me but as it wasn't really the star of the dessert dish, I didn't really care.

At the end of the meal, we were given the traditional ending to a meal at Sea Salt - Cotton Candy.

It is so whimsical! I also enjoyed a latte to help with the sobering up of the evening.

My friend we were with and I still wanted some more food. There is a local restaurant owned by the same parent company as Sea Salt called Barbatella that has some amazing desserts.

We shared the signature pizza there which is a sweet dough pizza with a sugar crust that has a nice smear of nutella spread on and topped with caramelized bananas and then whipped cream.

My friend and I could only each have a single slice as we had totally eaten too much but I'm bringing the rest in to work tomorrow for snack/lunch/whatever.

While my friend and I split that, my husband got to enjoy their homemade vanilla brownie gelato that disappeared so quickly!

This wine dinner was one of the best I've done in Naples. My husband and I both really enjoyed our meal and it was really a good deal for the cost.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:05 PM   #10
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Fultonís

Iím going to preface this post by stating that we didnít keep a single plan that I originally posted for this trip. We ended up cancelling Raglan Road after the wine dinner on Wednesday as we thought we might just go bowling instead and knew if we didnít cancel, we would lose $20. Turns out, we didnít even keep that plan! The morning of July 10th, one of my good friends from Naples texted me ďHappy Birthday, weíre joining you in Disney on Friday!Ē I didnít want my husband & I to go bowling on Thursday when I knew we would be hanging out with them Friday evening in DTD.

I had an amazing day at work with my coworkers filling my cube with balloons, getting salted caramel bacon brownies, and thoroughly embarrassed by all my coworkers. It was seriously the best work birthday Iíve ever had. We ended up leaving Naples at 3:30PM and boy was the ride horrible! We had to drive through the traffic for 2 wrecks on I-75 and then when we got on I-4, we had some more wrecks to drive through along with some Ďredí thunderstorms and heavy heavy rain. As my husband was driving, he was very cranky by the time we got to Port Orleans French Quarter. Our usual 2 hour 45 minute drive quickly became a 3.5 hour ride!

When we were on I-4, I searched to see what was available for dinner around 9PM that we could access by driving or at DTD. There was a reservation available for 9:30PM at Fultonís so we decided we havenít been there in a year & now would be a good time to go back.

As there were still thunder & lightning in the area, the boats to DTD werenít running from Port Orleans. We had to take the bus over which was fine. It seems the storms had kept away the crowds from DTD! We did end up buying umbrellas (a cute Mary Poppins one for me & a boring normal black Disney one for him) as there was a lot of rain and we both didnít own one even with our South Florida living.

We got to Fultonís about an hour early for our reservation. This wasnít a problem as they just sat us immediately upon Check In as it didnít seem they were very busy.

Menu pictures!

We started with drinks as I debated what I wanted on the menu:

Orange Blossom Pilsner

My selection! It was a refreshing light choice that would end up working well with what I ordered.

Angry Orchard

My husbandís selection which is his normal stand by drink now.

Every meal here we tend to get the same appetizers.

Clam Chowder

My husband loves the chowder here! I think if it were socially acceptable to lick the bowl, he would.

Caesar Salad

My stand by selection. Itís a good Caesar especially once you had the cracked pepper!

Snow Crab Legs

My husbandís choice. He hasnít had crab in a while so he was happy to have it again! They were fresh and he finished off the plate long before I was done with my meal.

5 Spice Baby Back Ribs - Half Rack

My selection! When I got that served to me, I was really happy I selected the half rack rather than the full rack as there would be no way I could have finished a double portion of that!

The meat under the crispy outer layer of the ribs were so tender! They were everything I hope from those types of ribs.

We also shared a side:

Hash Browns

Those hash browns were A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! They were all fluffy crispness with the right amount of seasoning. I was sad we werenít able to finish them off but we had dessert to get through (you have to have dessert on your birthday!)

Toll House Cookie Sundae

My husband & I split this. It was not as good as previous ones but still tasty. The cookie wasnít as warm as the last one we have had in the past but really, when you have warm toll house cookies with ice cream and chocolate sauce, I donít think many people would complain about that dessert as itís hard to mess up!

Manhatten!

I also had a final cocktail for the night with a manhatten. It was mixed correctly which makes me happy.

This meal was totally an overall hit. It got us both in better moods after our awful travel to Disney and everything was on point. Our server was in a great mood as well and was just attentive enough with some humor mixed in. We'll be back sometime in our next few trips!

Old 07-14-2014, 05:44 PM   #11
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Splitsville Outdoor Bar

Once we got to DTD, we went straight to Disney Quest as my husband had never been. He soon realized why I never made it a priority to go. Its like a time wrap back to 1998 with the state of the art video game technology

After we rode our rollercoaster design for Cyber Space Mountain (the one highlight in that place), we got a message from my friends that they had arrived at their hotel (Gaylord) so we left Disney Quest and stopped by the Outdoor Bar @ Splitsville as her and I texted to figure out our plan.

We got a Miami Vice to split while I talked to her. The couple sips we had were good until I had to hide it in my purse.

As we would be drinking a lot this evening, they wanted to take the shuttle which thus affected what time they could get to DTD. The shuttle didnít leave their hotel until 3:30 or so and it was 1:50PM. My husband didnít want to wait around DTD for 2 hours so he wanted to go to the movies. Looking things up, there were 3 movies that started at 2PM - Transformers, Deliver Us From Evil, & Snowpiercer. As this weekend was mostly about me, we saw the movie my husband wanted to see, Transformers, which apparently was playing at the Dine-In side of AMC. We quickly paid for our 1 drink and went to get into the movie before the feature film started.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:46 PM   #12
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

AMC Dine-In Theater

As the movie my husband wanted to see was in the Dine-In side, the temptation to order food was too great as real food cooked to order is way better than eating popcorn or candy, right?

Disclosure: Photos are taken from stock AMC images online as we did get to the movies as they were half way through the previews & I didnít want to be that jerk taking pictures

I ordered:

Fried Mozzarella Sticks

They were ok. Nothing really special.

My husband went with:

Waffle Sundae w/ Candied Bacon

He loved this! My husband loves his ice cream and he loves waffles. This was a perfect snack for him.

I also finished the rest of the Miami Vice that was in my purse in the squeeze bottle.

Transformers; however, was horrible. I couldnít wait for the movie to be over after 2 hours in. I could have tolerated it more if it was about 45 minutes shorter. When we got out of the movie, we met up with my friend & her boyfriend and headed back to Splitsville to bowl & drink!

Old 07-14-2014, 05:48 PM   #13
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Splitsville

We got to Bowling shortly after 5:00PM. I was shocked we were able to get straight to a lane without a wait as it was a Friday evening. We were taken upstairs and quickly greeted by our server.

We ordered a plate of the loaded fries to split among the 4 of us:

Loaded Fries - From Oct 2013 As I Fail At Pictures

The fries are great - plastic cheese, ranch, bacon, green onions piled upon fresh crispy fries.

My husband & I also split a Pina Colada, Rumrunner & Gator Bite by the end of the hour & fifteen minutes of bowling. The gator bite was the best as it was the strongest and tasted like oranges.

My ankle was killing me from the bowling though - the amount of drinks we were having was helping at least though!

Old 07-14-2014, 06:37 PM   #14
OasterP
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis_Yoda View Post
AMC Dine-In Theater

As the movie my husband wanted to see was in the Dine-In side, the temptation to order food was too great as real food cooked to order is way better than eating popcorn or candy, right?

Disclosure: Photos are taken from stock AMC images online as we did get to the movies as they were half way through the previews & I didnít want to be that jerk taking pictures

I ordered:

Fried Mozzarella Sticks

They were ok. Nothing really special.

My husband went with:

Waffle Sundae w/ Candied Bacon

He loved this! My husband loves his ice cream and he loves waffles. This was a perfect snack for him.

I also finished the rest of the Miami Vice that was in my purse in the squeeze bottle.

Transformers; however, was horrible. I couldnít wait for the movie to be over after 2 hours in. I could have tolerated it more if it was about 45 minutes shorter. When we got out of the movie, we met up with my friend & her boyfriend and headed back to Splitsville to bowl & drink!

First of all - love your report!

And second - on the bold part - I could NOT agree more! I seriously lol and had to read it to my husband b/c we just saw it at the drive in and I said almost exactly the same thing!!! At least 1/2 too long.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:16 PM   #15
2manypets
DIS Veteran

I can't believe I'm just now finding this report. Very good review and pics!
I'm looking forward to more.
2manypets is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: