Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2014, 07:24 PM   #76
Karlzmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyz View Post
WHAT???!!! How does a seafood buffet (really the only one on property) drop crab legs?? That's insane!

Although, sadly, I can kinda understand the decision if too many people were pigging out and hogging them and not leaving any for anyone else.

People... we really ruin everything, don't we?
Ok, putting on my flame-proof suit here. Its a BUFFET....which is based on the model of AYCTE...presumably of WHAT you care to eat as well. When I see as many posts on the theme of *might as well cancel, its why we booked* then I suspect people were actually eating the food they wanted [crablegs] in the quantity to make the astronomical price *worth it*.

I am not in favor of wasting food simply to waste it. I don't see anyone describing that situation. Instead, there seems to be an unpublished quota regarding exactly how many crab legs per customer is legitimate enjoyment and how many make you a pig. I suspect the number is any amount more than the critic took for themselves.

If there was an odd balance on crab legs - imagine over-utilization of a food item - then I think it speaks to A) the sense that CMC was the ONLY place to get the item and B) the feeling that the rest of the menu did not offer value for the price being charged. Its kind of a chicken egg argument. Did the prices go up because people ate too much of "the good stuff" [and isn't it sad that Disney Dining has devolved to so much non-good stuff that the crowds want to load up when there is something other than fodder offered?] or do the high buck items go heavy as people try to feel like they are not being taken at every turn. Disney could certainly up supply to reach demand...

FWIW I don't eat at CMC...I think it smells vile. Don't even like walking by it between the YC and BC. We tried it once years ago and I recall there being any number of items that I did not sample...mussels comes to mind. Should I have had to take the mussels to "balance out" my plate? Or was it a *win* for Disney that I paid for an item that I did not eat? Think of all the people who have had some kind of weightloss surgery and can't eat their anticipated share of any of the food that get no price break...happens fairly commonly based on some of the postings on other boards around here.

I don't feel sorry for penny poor Disney. I don't think blame for some unknown crab leg hoarders is called for either. Disney has made a business decision that again impacts the guest experience in a perceived negative. Many guests will no doubt be unhappy at having made an ADR 180 days out because this item was offered only to discover they now must pay for a dining experience they didn't choose because the place they would have chosen is booked solid...or they will be charged a no show....or some other variation on pull money out of pocket based on anticipation that doesn't fully deliver. Seems to be the current model.

I'll duck and cover now....
AKV 2012, 2013 & 2014 BWV 2013
Disney Wonder to Alaska 2014
Back to Alaska on the Wonder in 2015

KATIE Yes, I'm the Jeopardy! champ......
Karlzmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:27 PM   #77
disneygirly
Mouseketeer

This is a great disappointment. Why do they do this stuff?
disneygirly is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-07-2014, 08:04 PM   #78
thatgirl23
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsap View Post
My cousin just had a 5:00 ADR there... She said they had crab legs. Not sure if it's a future change, but they were there as of dinner tonight.
We have a reservation there in less than 2 weeks. I don't know whether to cancel (to avoid the $10 charge) or wait and see... and hope for the best. If they're still on the menu, I don't want to cancel.
10/01: offsite -- 6/02: offsite -- 1/04: ASMusic -- 4/04: ASMusic -- 5/05: offsite -- 7/05: ASMovies -- 12/07: ASMovies -- 12/08: ASMusic -- 5/09: ASMusic -- 10/09: ASMusic -- 3/10: ASMusic -- 8/10: ASMusic -- 3/11: ASMusic -- 7/11: offsite -- 10/11: ASMusic -- 10/12: ASSports -- 7/13: ASMusic -- 12/13: ASMusic -- 7/14: ASMusic -- 10/15: ASMusic

Discovery Cove Trainer for a Day review - July 21, 2014

thatgirl23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:08 PM   #79
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlzmom View Post
Ok, putting on my flame-proof suit here. Its a BUFFET....which is based on the model of AYCTE...presumably of WHAT you care to eat as well. When I see as many posts on the theme of *might as well cancel, its why we booked* then I suspect people were actually eating the food they wanted [crablegs] in the quantity to make the astronomical price *worth it*. I am not in favor of wasting food simply to waste it. I don't see anyone describing that situation. Instead, there seems to be an unpublished quota regarding exactly how many crab legs per customer is legitimate enjoyment and how many make you a pig. I suspect the number is any amount more than the critic took for themselves. If there was an odd balance on crab legs - imagine over-utilization of a food item - then I think it speaks to A) the sense that CMC was the ONLY place to get the item and B) the feeling that the rest of the menu did not offer value for the price being charged. Its kind of a chicken egg argument. Did the prices go up because people ate too much of "the good stuff" [and isn't it sad that Disney Dining has devolved to so much non-good stuff that the crowds want to load up when there is something other than fodder offered?] or do the high buck items go heavy as people try to feel like they are not being taken at every turn. Disney could certainly up supply to reach demand... FWIW I don't eat at CMC...I think it smells vile. Don't even like walking by it between the YC and BC. We tried it once years ago and I recall there being any number of items that I did not sample...mussels comes to mind. Should I have had to take the mussels to "balance out" my plate? Or was it a *win* for Disney that I paid for an item that I did not eat? Think of all the people who have had some kind of weightloss surgery and can't eat their anticipated share of any of the food that get no price break...happens fairly commonly based on some of the postings on other boards around here. I don't feel sorry for penny poor Disney. I don't think blame for some unknown crab leg hoarders is called for either. Disney has made a business decision that again impacts the guest experience in a perceived negative. Many guests will no doubt be unhappy at having made an ADR 180 days out because this item was offered only to discover they now must pay for a dining experience they didn't choose because the place they would have chosen is booked solid...or they will be charged a no show....or some other variation on pull money out of pocket based on anticipation that doesn't fully deliver. Seems to be the current model. I'll duck and cover now....

I think that the acceptable profit margin, whatever that is for Disney, was not being met at CMC, therefore something had to go.

I agree that this is a bad move in terms of perception. Maybe they should have just shut it down and re-opened it as something else.
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:55 PM   #80
ladybug97
Earning My Ears

Noooooo!!! I was finally getting to go and now the crab legs are gone
2013 Port Orleans Riverside
November 2014 BACK to POP

ladybug97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:07 PM   #81
mickey1968
Mouseketeer

My last two trips I ate at Captain's Grille instead and I found it better and cheaper since I don't normally get a dessert anyway. The portion of crab legs at CG was more than enough for me. Now I guess it will become a little harder to get an ADR there once people realize the change at Cape May.

May 2014 - Pop Century, F&G and SWW • Oct./Nov. 2013 - PORS, MNSSHP and F&W • Oct./Nov. 2012 - Pop Century, MNSSHP and F&W • May 2012 - Pop Century, SWW, F&G • Nov. 2011 - POFQ, MVMCP • June 2002 - off-site/conference • 1990s - several trips staying off-site; Uni 2x • 1991 - WDW College Program (Spring) • 1985 - First trip with parents at age 16 or 17

mickey1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:35 PM   #82
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristocatz View Post
Cape May is supposed to be a New England style seafood buffet, but without the crab legs, & it seems like they are now dwindling in the New England style seafood selections....
. Whether one is talking about New England seafood or Mid-Atlantic seafood, crab leg clusters are representative of neither. Eliminating Snow Crab Legs would make the menu more northeastern, not less. But I doubt that this has anything to do with the decision.

CMC was at its best when you paid extra for crab legs and they were brought to your table in a pewter bucket by a server. When crab quotas increase, perhaps we will see a return to this approach.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:55 PM   #83
Disney Doc
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
CMC was at its best when you paid extra for crab legs and they were brought to your table in a pewter bucket by a server. When crab quotas increase, perhaps we will see a return to this approach.
Agreed. For many years, crab legs were not part of the buffet selection, and those trips are my fondest recollections of Cape May dinners.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:22 AM   #84
hmillerbarilla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsap View Post
My cousin just had a 5:00 ADR there... She said they had crab legs. Not sure if it's a future change, but they were there as of dinner tonight.
Well that's good news! I hope they're there in 3 weeks!

Now someone go ask a bus driver and let's get to the bottom of this!
82, 86, 91-Poly, 94-CBR, 95-CBR, 97-CBR, 98-CR/CBR, 99-CBR, 02-POFQ, 04-CBR, 05-CBR, 06-ASMu, 06-CBR, 07-CBR, 08-BWV, 09-Poly/GF, 09-POP/OKW,10-POR/WL/BLT,10-SSR/CR/BLT,10-OKW,10-YC/BCV, 11-BWV/OKW/BCV, 12-POR/BLT, 12-SSR, 12-AKV/BLT,12-SSR, 13-BWV, 13-AKV, 13-CBR, 13-CSR, 14-AKV/SSR, 14-CBR/POFQ, 14-ASsp, 14-AOA/BCV/OKW, 14-CBR
15-BLT
hmillerbarilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:25 AM   #85
sethschroeder
DIS Veteran

Wouldn't ever go to a buffet anymore as the food is always second class except Bacchanal in Vegas.

I want the big crab leg eaters to go to the store this weekend find the approximate amount of crab legs they would eat and look at the price. Disney likely would have a slightly lower cost but Crab is not cheap. Food cost for a restaurant should be around 30-35% of total sales for a good restaurant . That means Disney should be paying about $20 on food for a $60 bill.

Also the food at this place and ANY other profits Disney makes are completely separate. They are not using Cape May as a loss leader (purposely losing money to make up profits elsewhere) to bring people into a park....
1984 Born; 1985 DL; 1989 WDW; 1991 DL; 2013 BWI CL- (Honeymoon); 2014 September 3-14 - BWV - (Celebrating 1st Anniversary); 2014 September 14-15 - UNI RPR
sethschroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:12 AM   #86
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker, Fairly-Good Sailing Master, Recently Ordained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethschroeder View Post
Wouldn't ever go to a buffet anymore as the food is always second class except Bacchanal in Vegas . . .

1) Pretty much on-the-button.
2) Bacchanal is more of a massive feast than a mere buffet.
3) But, IMHO there are two exceptions at WDW.
4) Trails End (FW) and The Wave (CR) have excellent breakfast buffets.
5 And, at a VERY reasonable price for a Disney meal.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:58 AM   #87
NewRVLady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post
There was no worse experience than Cape May for dinner on Free Dining. The herd of elephants would RUN to the buffet when the fresh pan of crab legs came out and then one or two people take them all!!!! They wouldn't even stand in line, just run in a bunch. It was horrifying. I swear they acted like they had never been to a restaurant before.

Funny when I saw this thread, I thought to myself, okay maybe we'll go back again. Those crab legs and the animals that went there to eat them ruined that buffet.

Good riddance to them!!
I never pictured folks acting like this -thanks for the graphic description!

I really feel SERIOUSLY, that Disney RUINED the WDW experience with FREE DINING.

I still can remember class and elegance at the high end restaurants back in the olden days
NewRVLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:59 AM   #88
Eastern
DIS Veteran

I can't remember when CMC didn't have crab legs. I do remember the old days when they put out entire cakes in the dessert section and people would cut their own slices. Can you imagine! And they were really good.

This buffet has been downsized relentlessly for the past few years. This is the first time I will not be booking it for dinner. One of the main reasons we went was for the crab legs, and yes, they weren't the best. You actually have to get a large plate of them to get even a small amount of crab.

It makes our decision not to go easier, anyway. Next trip we are doing mainly signature and counter service, with 1 night at GG. The regular TS restaurants/buffets seem to have devolved into a no man's land of cost cutting and low quality. I'm not sure if they will ever recover.
Eastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:05 AM   #89
NewRVLady
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=Karlzmom;51808960]

FWIW I don't eat at CMC...I think it smells vile. Don't even like walking by it between the YC and BC. QUOTE]

Funny....last trip DH & I walked the length of both hotels on our way back to the Swan , and I felt the same thing...it smelled like a bad shrimp fishing dock
NewRVLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:06 AM   #90
P'colaBeachBum
Go 'Noles!

It's the one reason why we loved Cape May! Ever since free dining came around the food quality and quantity has gone down hill at WDW...imo.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: