Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2014, 02:51 PM   #61
jenjersnap
yadda yadda yadda

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandiR View Post
According to Disney's own website - https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/di...cape-may-cafe/ - the top price for dinner is $59.99, so I'm not sure why it would matter what some thread said it is.
That isn't Cape May's actual price. The Disney site just lists a range for all dinner buffets, all of the them are between $30 and $59.99. See Akershus lists it the same way https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/di...-banquet-hall/ and Boma https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/di...-banquet-hall/ and Tusker House https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/di...se-restaurant/ Even CRT says it, although its price is actually above that. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/di...a-royal-table/

Most buffets, includng Cape May, fall in the middle of that range.

Upcoming: Disneyland 7/14 Mom & DS3, BCV 11/14

YC & Poly 10/13 Poly & BC 12/10GC at Disneyland 06/09Mom and DS2, WL 1/09YC & BC (yes, both!) 9/08 Hojo's near Disneyland 6/08Mom and DS1, WL 1/08Poly 9/07 BC 10/06 AKL & Poly 12/05 Mom and DS1, WL & Dolphin 2/05 First trip as an adult to AK & FW cabins, 12/04
jenjersnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:54 PM   #62
Topper
DIS Veteran

For many many years, Cape May Cafe operated without crab legs on the menu. Steamed clams and peel and eat shrimp were the highlights. Then they had a period where the crab legs were an add-on (additional money) to the buffet price. Then they added them to the menu full time and now they might be gone again.

This too shall pass.
Register to remove

Old 07-07-2014, 03:02 PM   #63
TISHLOVESDISNEY
Mouseketeer

Wow. Apparently you either love it (crab legs/CM buffet)...or you hate it...
We have never been, and I only picked it bcuz of the crab legs. DH likes them, I can handle a couple but after that...

Anyway, disappointed, but, there are other buffets I was debating on so we'll move on to another.
TISHLOVESDISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:13 PM   #64
aristocatz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topper View Post
For many many years, Cape May Cafe operated without crab legs on the menu. Steamed clams and peel and eat shrimp were the highlights. Then they had a period where the crab legs were an add-on (additional money) to the buffet price. Then they added them to the menu full time and now they might be gone again.

This too shall pass.
Just out of curiosity, when the crab legs were an add-on, were they higher quality/more meat?

aristocatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:15 PM   #65
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisUniversal View Post
What they should have done is have the server bring you 'refills' of crab legs like they drinks. When they came to take away a plate, they could simple ask if you'd like more. No limit, but even though I never saw it, would stop the gluttons that others have observed from piling their plates to the point they were kicking the ones that fell off their plates back to the table.
Exactly they should have tried that first!
Old 07-07-2014, 03:37 PM   #66
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker and Fairly Good Sailing Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristocatz View Post
Just out of curiosity, when the crab legs were an add-on, were they higher quality/more meat?
Yes !
TheRustyScupper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:51 PM   #67
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandiR View Post
According to Disney's own website - https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/di...cape-may-cafe/ - the top price for dinner is $59.99, so I'm not sure why it would matter what some thread said it is.

Even if you assume that people are getting the highest value ticket (or least expensive per-day ticket), the point is that Disney is still making record profits. Record profits. At the same time, they are cheapening the experience by scaling back on guest favorites.

By the way, I might be wrong, but I sincerely doubt that Disney's profits are that of an average restaurant. Most restaurants can't make money and fold. Disney rakes in the cash year after year.
Yes, I see several places that the top price is $59.99 (with a starting range of just $30, interesting how that gets ignored) which is why I included how much the restaurant makes on a meal these despite not being able to find a date that price is actually charged. I'm disputing the misinformation that Disney makes $60 on that meal. Given that park tickets aren't even necessary to dine at Cape May, any profit on park admission has no effect on what Disney makes aon any meal in or out of a park.

Quote:
Take that $1.08 and add it to what a comparable meal would cost at non-Disney restaurant if you want to know their true profit.

How dramatically? A 4 day Magic Your Way ticket with park hopping works out to about $94 per day. Not that dramatic, is it?
Huh? How would adding Disney's profit on a single meal to what a comparable meal would cost at non-Disney restaurant show Disney's true profit? If a similar meal is $24.99 somewhere else, that restaurant is getting $.62 gross profit (different range). How does adding Disney's $1.08 profit to the $24.99 do anything except obfuscate?

As for the ticket prices, mea culpa. I was thinking of the multi (5/6/7) day tickets where the price per day is nowhere near $94 or the previously-stated $100.
kaytieeldr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:51 PM   #68
EMAW_KSU
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
1. Yes !
You forgot something.
EMAW_KSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:59 PM   #69
Unas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stini228 View Post
Welp, we won't be returning if this is true. And please, let's not blame the customer, cape may has been raising prices and cutting offerings for years now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelhp View Post
Actually, the real Cape May is barely above the Mason-Dixon line on the South Jersey shore, not New England, but your point is taken that almost nothing there was either New England or New Jersey seafood. It was low-end fare not even up to par for a Red Lobster restaurant.
The food was terrible when we were there. The fried food was mostly batter and the shellfish was overly salted. Nothing like Mid-Atlantic coast or New England.

BTW, Cape May, NJ is well south of the Mason-Dixon Line.
Unas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:32 PM   #70
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I've been there many times and that's just BS to blame the guests. Never saw anyone 'not leave any for anyone else'. Any kind of buffet has to factor in that some will eat more than others, but it's extremely rare...and virtually impossible in Disney's case for someone to eat so much that the buffet takes a loss.
I totally disagree. The entitlement and resultant behaviors are unbelievable at Disney
Old 07-07-2014, 05:27 PM   #71
godoftheWorld
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefully View Post
I totally disagree. The entitlement and resultant behaviors are unbelievable at Disney
I so agree with this statement!!!!
On a lighter note, the buffet at the Trails End is awesome!!!!
Old 07-07-2014, 05:29 PM   #72
wolf29
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unas View Post
The food was terrible when we were there. The fried food was mostly batter and the shellfish was overly salted. Nothing like Mid-Atlantic coast or New England.

BTW, Cape May, NJ is well south of the Mason-Dixon Line.
None of NJ is South of the Mason-Dixon line. The line starts mid-coast Delaware, runs inland then North, turning to the west along the southern border of Pennsylvania. It was in fact created to establish a border between Pa & MD.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:46 PM   #73
mrsap
Disney World '86, '04, '05, '06, '10, '12, '13, stb '14

My cousin just had a 5:00 ADR there... She said they had crab legs. Not sure if it's a future change, but they were there as of dinner tonight.

mrsap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:58 PM   #74
wdwlver
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf29 View Post
None of NJ is South of the Mason-Dixon line. The line starts mid-coast Delaware, runs inland then North, turning to the west along the southern border of Pennsylvania. It was in fact created to establish a border between Pa & MD.
This.

Disney Trips
2014 - GFV & YC - 2013 - BC & BCV - 2012 - GF, BCV - 2011 - BCV, YC - 2010 - POLY & BCV - 2009 - BWV & BCV - 2008 - BWI & BWV, 2007 - BWV, 2006 - BWV & BCV,2005 - SSR & YC, 2004 - WL,2003 - Swan,2002 - WL,2001 - AKL,2000 - GF,1999 - WL & YC,1997 - WL,1994 - GF,1993 - GF & BC,1992 - GF,1991 - CR & BC, - & many trips to DLR
wdwlver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:06 PM   #75
Primpcess
Earning My Ears

We were there about a week ago. They still had the crab legs, but we liked enough other things to still eat there even if the crab legs are gone. I agree that it would be a good idea for the server to bring the crab legs to the table rather than have them out on the buffet. We sat close to the buffet, and it really amazed us how there was a stampede to the buffet every time they put out a new tray. I'm sure they're tired of people trampling one another.
Primpcess is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: