Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2014, 01:36 PM   #46
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
5) Too many people "pigged out" on crab legs at Cape May.
6) They were no longer profitable.
7) Some people, I swear, ruin it for others !!!

* Fortunately, for many (including me), the crab legs at Cape May were small and not filled with much
meat. One had to really work to get enough. In our opinion, they were of lesser quality than the Lobster
Feast on Hwy-192. And, that is not not a glowing comment or endorsement.
There was no worse experience than Cape May for dinner on Free Dining. The herd of elephants would RUN to the buffet when the fresh pan of crab legs came out and then one or two people take them all!!!! They wouldn't even stand in line, just run in a bunch. It was horrifying. I swear they acted like they had never been to a restaurant before.

Funny when I saw this thread, I thought to myself, okay maybe we'll go back again. Those crab legs and the animals that went there to eat them ruined that buffet.

Good riddance to them!!

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:43 PM   #47
DisUniversal
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post
There was no worse experience than Cape May for dinner on Free Dining. The herd of elephants would RUN to the buffet when the fresh pan of crab legs came out and then one or two people take them all!!!! They wouldn't even stand in line, just run in a bunch. It was horrifying. I swear they acted like they had never been to a restaurant before.

Funny when I saw this thread, I thought to myself, okay maybe we'll go back again. Those crab legs and the animals that went there to eat them ruined that buffet.

Good riddance to them!!
Hey! You don't refer to people as

here, you refer to them as
DisUniversal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-07-2014, 01:50 PM   #48
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
3) Yes, Cape May no longer has Crab Legs, but Captains Grille does.
4) However, crab legs at Capt Grille are ONE serving, not AYCTE.
5) Too many people "pigged out" on crab legs at Cape May.
6) They were no longer profitable.
7) Some people, I swear, ruin it for others !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by disney meema View Post
Oh yes I've seen people pile their plates up so high with crab legs at the buffet that a few fell off their plates on the ground and they just kept walking yikes! I saw one lady at WDW wrap a few in napkins and stick them in her purse and it was summer ... Yuck who'd want to eat a crab leg later on after siting in her purse or actually to take them my goodness! Yeah I'm sure the crab legs get hit real hard by many people at the buffet so not cost effective any longer to keep them on the menu
I just spit my coffee all over my computer I'm laughing so hard.

That is a shame they just took them off though. They could have rationed them out somehow.

Maybe they should just leave it as a character meal then at dinner too. Heck, they might as well just leave the breakfast food in there all day (actually I would like breakfast for dinner!)
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:53 PM   #49
DisUniversal
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwenMarie View Post
I just spit my coffee all over my computer I'm laughing so hard.

That is a shame they just took them off though. They could have rationed them out somehow.

Maybe they should just leave it as a character meal then at dinner too. Heck, they might as well just leave the breakfast food in there all day (actually I would like breakfast for dinner!)
What they should have done is have the server bring you 'refills' of crab legs like they drinks. When they came to take away a plate, they could simple ask if you'd like more. No limit, but even though I never saw it, would stop the gluttons that others have observed from piling their plates to the point they were kicking the ones that fell off their plates back to the table.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:05 PM   #50
jesswindsor
DIS Veteran

I hate it that Cape May has gotten ride of the Crab Legs, but I can completely understand why. I have never really liked buffets myself. The food at the buffets have never really been a problem for me. But I have seen to many Children Sneeze & Grab at food while their parents are trying to fill their plates for them. Anyway, Captain's Grill's Crab Legs will work out better for me. But hopefully Cape May can work out something with the Crab Legs in the future. I remember back years ago when Red Lobster had the Endless Bucket of Crab, maybe they can do something like that.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:08 PM   #51
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisUniversal View Post
Hey! You don't refer to people as

here, you refer to them as
Apologies- I only meant as a thundering herd, not the size of the patrons. Didn't even cross my mind, no offense intended

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:17 PM   #52
Le Soque Puppet
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelhp View Post
How is it the customer's fault if the Boston Lobster Feast can have 60 menu items and AYCTE lobster buffet for around $35 per person in Kissimmee, but Cape May can't do lower quality crab legs for about the same price within the busiest resort in the world?
Numbered and text-justified posts are always
THE TRVTH
Le Soque Puppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:31 PM   #53
wdwpirates
Don't lose ya soul cuz it's all ya got. - DH

Over the last 2 years I have noticed that the selection and quality of the food at Cape May has degraded on each trip. We were really disappointed with our visit in May. The only decent food items (IMO) were the crab legs and the steamers. Other than that it was just no longer worth the $$$. We decided to skip making a ressie on our upcoming trip. And if the crab legs are truly no longer on the menu then it's not worth it for us to visit until the food selection improves.

It's a bummer because I love the theme of the restaurant. Maybe they'll get a new chef soon!!

wdwpirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:47 PM   #54
RubySlippers
DIS Veteran

Seriously... The crab fisheries were hard hit by the extremely harsh winter. Fishing quotas are down everywhere. I really think this is more likely the issue than a few people at WDW overindulging at one buffet.

Last edited by RubySlippers; 07-07-2014 at 03:15 PM.
RubySlippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:51 PM   #55
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran

Ah man..............what a bummer. This was our favorite WDW eatery. We loved the crab legs. It was the main draw for us to come here.

This will be off the ADR list until the crab legs come back!

May 2005 AKL Pool view
July 2010 Poly Standard view- WDW and US
Aug 2012 YC Pool view- WDW, US and BG
Oct 2013 Poly Cl Lagoon view- WDW and US
Oct 2014 BW CL BW View- WDW and US

The Smith's take on the Poly- TR
heidijanesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:53 PM   #56
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandiR View Post
Disney is making 60 bucks a person here. Plus, most people are coming from the theme parks where they've spent about $100 more just to walk through the door. They are making record profits and now we're going to excuse them for cutting the most desirable things off the menu because some people overindulge a bit? Um....NO.
No. First, according to the Buffets/AYCTE thread, the peak charge this year - Thanksgiving - will be $44.99 (tax subtracted).

Second, whatever Disney charges is dramatically different from what they make on a sale. According to this,
http://smallbusiness.chron.com/avera...ant-13477.html the pretax profit (what the restaurant makes) on a check is a truly amazing 1.8%. That's eighty one cents; even assuming the $59.99 the restaurant makes only $1.08.

Finally, who are all these people buying single-day park admission? The vast majority uses multiple admissions, which dramatically reduce the per day admission.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #57
bramble4
Earning My Ears

We always hit Cape May on our arrival day and enjoy it. Happened to be on the phone with Disney Dining already so we asked about the menu change. The CM said she never even knew that they had all you can eat crab before. She gave us a direct number to the restaurant and the man there said he hadn't noticed them missing. Trying to decide whether we should keep our ADR for October or try somewhere new. Any suggestions in the same area, or HS?

Last edited by bramble4; 07-07-2014 at 03:10 PM.
bramble4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:23 PM   #58
SandiR
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
No. First, according to the Buffets/AYCTE thread, the peak charge this year - Thanksgiving - will be $44.99 (tax subtracted).

Second, whatever Disney charges is dramatically different from what they make on a sale. According to this,
http://smallbusiness.chron.com/avera...ant-13477.html the pretax profit (what the restaurant makes) on a check is a truly amazing 1.8%. That's eighty one cents; even assuming the $59.99 the restaurant makes only $1.08.

Finally, who are all these people buying single-day park admission? The vast majority uses multiple admissions, which dramatically reduce the per day admission.
According to Disney's own website - https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/di...cape-may-cafe/ - the top price for dinner is $59.99, so I'm not sure why it would matter what some thread said it is.

Even if you assume that people are getting the highest value ticket (or least expensive per-day ticket), the point is that Disney is still making record profits. Record profits. At the same time, they are cheapening the experience by scaling back on guest favorites.

By the way, I might be wrong, but I sincerely doubt that Disney's profits are that of an average restaurant. Most restaurants can't make money and fold. Disney rakes in the cash year after year.
SandiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:39 PM   #59
DisUniversal
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Take that $1.08 and add it to what a comparable meal would cost at non-Disney restaurant if you want to know their true profit.
Quote:
How dramatically? A 4 day Magic Your Way ticket with park hopping works out to about $94 per day. Not that dramatic, is it?

Last edited by DisUniversal; 07-07-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:47 PM   #60
carmelhp
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisUniversal View Post
Take that $1.08 and add it to what a comparable meal would cost at non-Disney restaurant if you want to know their true profit.
Exactly, at the busiest resort in the world, with an essentially captive clientele and no marketing costs. Talk about apples and oranges.
RPR 12/3-12/12/2014
MVMCP 2012 & 2014
MNSSHP 2013
carmelhp is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: