Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2014, 10:46 AM   #31
disneydee6
DIS Veteran

Just another reason not to go back. We tried it after they removes their best dessert: the Oreo Bon bons. The dessert selection was a big disappointment last year (and we always save room for lots of dessert!!) the food last year was okay. My dad and I put some of the "loaded potato salad" on our plates. It was inedible, (and believe me, he is far from picky). I always enjoy the mussels, Mac and cheese, chowder (even though it was changed to "seafood" from "clam") array of salads, but always included was the crab legs!!!! They've removed two great items for "cost" and just confirms our decision that we made as we left the restaurant last may, we will not be returning.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:01 AM   #32
carmelhp
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
1)

3) Yes, Cape May no longer has Crab Legs, but Captains Grille does.
4) However, crab legs at Capt Grille are ONE serving, not AYCTE.
5) Too many people "pigged out" on crab legs at Cape May.
6) They were no longer profitable.
7) Some people, I swear, ruin it for others !!!

* Fortunately, for many (including me), the crab legs at Cape May were small and not filled with much
meat. One had to really work to get enough. In our opinion, they were of lesser quality than the Lobster
Feast on Hwy-192. And, that is not not a glowing comment or endorsement.
How is it the customer's fault if the Boston Lobster Feast can have 60 menu items and AYCTE lobster buffet for around $35 per person in Kissimmee, but Cape May can't do lower quality crab legs for about the same price within the busiest resort in the world? Maybe it IS actually the management trying to pinch every last nickel out of the customer. I thought the crab legs at CMC were nearly inedible, and it was a joke of a restaurant.
Register to remove

Old 07-07-2014, 11:08 AM   #33
carmelhp
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristocatz View Post
I wonder if they are planning to replace the crab legs with a different kind of seafood? Cape May is supposed to be a New England style seafood buffet, but without the crab legs, & it seems like they are now dwindling in the New England style seafood selections....
Actually, the real Cape May is barely above the Mason-Dixon line on the South Jersey shore, not New England, but your point is taken that almost nothing there was either New England or New Jersey seafood. It was low-end fare not even up to par for a Red Lobster restaurant.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:12 AM   #34
connie1042
DIS Veteran

I will check before we go in Sept. If they are not on there, then we will cancel. We have them for our last night, so will have plenty of room to cancel.
connie1042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:31 AM   #35
chrisc88
Mouseketeer

This may just be a coincidence but I was at a restaurant in South Florida last week and the person I was with ordered the crab cakes, which are on the menu all the time. The server told us they were unavailable for an unspecified period of time because the cost of crab has increased and they did not want to pass the cost on to the customer.

chrisc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:34 AM   #36
DisUniversal
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyz View Post
WHAT???!!! How does a seafood buffet (really the only one on property) drop crab legs?? That's insane!

Although, sadly, I can kinda understand the decision if too many people were pigging out and hogging them and not leaving any for anyone else.

People... we really ruin everything, don't we?
I've been there many times and that's just BS to blame the guests. Never saw anyone 'not leave any for anyone else'. Any kind of buffet has to factor in that some will eat more than others, but it's extremely rare...and virtually impossible in Disney's case for someone to eat so much that the buffet takes a loss.
DisUniversal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:41 AM   #37
kitty2kidz
Mouseketeer

With the high price for each dinner, I cant imagine Disney was taking a loss.... If you are paying $40-50 a plate, you should be able to consume a fairly large quantity of crab legs. I dont even eat seafood but was going along with the family. I am sure there are a considerable amount of guests not eating or certainly not gorging themselves with huge amounts--just to go back out in the heat and walk around a park and perhaps ride rides.
I am wondering if they removed them due to the upcoming free dining promotion?
kitty2kidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:44 AM   #38
lhall7
Mouseketeer

I think that if they are going to remove such a popular item then they should certainly lower the price. The ONLY way I could convince DH to go there is because of the crab legs. He just thinks it is too expensive otherwise. I love it and I don't even eat the crab legs. I don't know how I will convince him to keep our ADR there in 3 weeks. I bet a lot of people that are regulars will show up and be VERY disappointed!!! Maybe enough people will cancel or be upset when get there that it will force them to bring them back?? Here's hoping!! I anticipate, however, that many guests won't even realize what they are missing.
lhall7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:47 AM   #39
Pumbaa_
Hakuna Matata!
My first attempts at gravy required slicing
It probably got lost in the scrolling

DISboards Moderator

I am sure they are lowering the price accordingly
Old 07-07-2014, 12:01 PM   #40
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

CMC is the one place on property that I will gladly pay the prices for - I think the buffet is great...and I don't eat the crab legs (because there is so little meat). Give me the salad bar, the cheeses, and the mussels and I will fork over my $50...

I am betting it is the high cost of crab lately and that they will be back on the buffet in time..

Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:02 PM   #41
RubySlippers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
5) Too many people "pigged out" on crab legs at Cape May.
6) They were no longer profitable.
7) Some people, I swear, ruin it for others !!!
OR it could be because crab fishing quotas were lowered this year and the cost of crab has risen.....

https://www.undercurrentnews.com/cat...hellfish/crab/

Rusty...Why are you also so negative about Disney guests? I find it hard to believe that you continue to WORK FOR WDW with such a negative attitude towards the people you are supposed to be helping have Magical vacations.
Smile and Breathe my friend and life will Smile with you!

Quote:
The server told us they were unavailable for an unspecified period of time because the cost of crab has increased and they did not want to pass the cost on to the customer.

Last edited by RubySlippers; 07-07-2014 at 12:19 PM.
RubySlippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:10 PM   #42
SandiR
Mouseketeer

Disney is making 60 bucks a person here. Plus, most people are coming from the theme parks where they've spent about $100 more just to walk through the door. They are making record profits and now we're going to excuse them for cutting the most desirable things off the menu because some people overindulge a bit? Um....NO.
SandiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:23 PM   #43
jenjersnap
yadda yadda yadda

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelhp View Post
How is it the customer's fault if the Boston Lobster Feast can have 60 menu items and AYCTE lobster buffet for around $35 per person in Kissimmee, but Cape May can't do lower quality crab legs for about the same price within the busiest resort in the world? Maybe it IS actually the management trying to pinch every last nickel out of the customer. I thought the crab legs at CMC were nearly inedible, and it was a joke of a restaurant.
I have never been to Lobster Feast but I agree with the sentiments of this post. I think the cost of crab hit their profit margin a bit and off it went. But, let's take a shot at customer gluttony because that is an easy mark.

We have eaten at CM three times with diminishing returns and it astounds me that people think the seafood on the buffet is good. And I am an inlander through and through who is really not an expert on fresh seafood.

Upcoming: Disneyland 7/14 Mom & DS3, BCV 11/14

YC & Poly 10/13 Poly & BC 12/10GC at Disneyland 06/09Mom and DS2, WL 1/09YC & BC (yes, both!) 9/08 Hojo's near Disneyland 6/08Mom and DS1, WL 1/08Poly 9/07 BC 10/06 AKL & Poly 12/05 Mom and DS1, WL & Dolphin 2/05 First trip as an adult to AK & FW cabins, 12/04
jenjersnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:23 PM   #44
DisUniversal
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandiR View Post
Disney is making 60 bucks a person here. Plus, most people are coming from the theme parks where they've spent about $100 more just to walk through the door. They are making record profits and now we're going to excuse them for cutting the most desirable things off the menu because some people overindulge a bit? Um....NO.
It's pretty easy to see it for what it is. Did Disney replace the all you can eat crab legs with something of comparable value? Did they lower the price to reflect that the crab legs are no longer on the menu? If the answer to both question is NO, then it is nothing more than another example of Disney trying to get away with offering less to their guests at the same or higher prices and we can expect that behavior to continue as long as people are ok with it. Some are blind to this and for them Disney can do no wrong. It's always the guest (gluttons in this case) or it's just capitalism on Disney's part. Sad.
DisUniversal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:25 PM   #45
aristocatz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelhp View Post
Actually, the real Cape May is barely above the Mason-Dixon line on the South Jersey shore, not New England, but your point is taken that almost nothing there was either New England or New Jersey seafood. It was low-end fare not even up to par for a Red Lobster restaurant.
Oops, sorry, you are 100% correct I'm a Cape Cod girl and I often forget that Cape May Cafe is.....Cape May!!!!

aristocatz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: