Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2014, 09:57 AM   #1
DisneyLvr55
The thing swooped down, hit me in the face with its wing, scooped up my dog, and flew away

Tipping with gift cards while on the DDP

How does it work? Do I give the wait staff my Disney GC, and tell them to put $X on there as their tip? Do I write it in myself, and then hand their the GC?? Is it just easier to use cash for tips?

TIA
Old 07-06-2014, 10:36 AM   #2
rainwatter
Mouseketeer

We were there a few weeks back, and my sister-in-law did the DP. She would charge the tip and extras (if any) to her room using the magic band, and used the gift card to pay bill at front desk.
July 1994- CB as a snarky tween (but I secretly loved it!) August 2004- Disneyland, Intorduced Hubby and Daughter to the Magic September 2004- Disneyland, Aniversary TripJune 2008- DTD Hilton, best Birthday pressent EVER!!! March 2009- Disneyland Girls Only Trip July 2009- POFQ Family Reunion Trip July 2010- Disneyland Paris June 2014- CSR/AKL 2nd Family Reunion Trip New Year's Eve 2014- SSR/WLV
rainwatter is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-06-2014, 10:56 AM   #3
Stbissell
Mouseketeer

Charge it to your room then Pay with the gift card. Just go to the lobby the day before check out and settle the bill.
Stbissell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:42 AM   #4
DisneyLvr55
The thing swooped down, hit me in the face with its wing, scooped up my dog, and flew away

I'm not putting a CC on our room.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:30 PM   #5
mom2of2
Let the good times strolllllll!
Don't we just get tickeled at the smallest things?

You will get a bill, write the tip amount on the tip line and give the server your GC
Old 07-06-2014, 10:50 PM   #6
2girlsmomma
Mouseketeer

I really disliked paying gratuities with a gift card last time we went. After two days of being asked how much to put on the card by my waiters(and consequentially paying more than I wanted for one terrible experience), I started charging to my room. I had linked just a debit card, but paid with GC before they ever charged my card. The cast member let me know my timeframe and charging limit before my card would get charged. I can't remember what it was' but I'm sure it's easy to find out.
2girlsmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:15 PM   #7
supersnoop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyLvr55 View Post
I'm not putting a CC on our room.
You can load gift cards onto your room account at the front desk of your resort. It may be difficult to hit it exactly right, but that is an option.
supersnoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:49 AM   #8
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

Most restaurant computers aren't set up to charge for only a tip for the server. The server will likely have to charge you $1 for "miscellaneous" and then add their tip to that. So, you'll end up paying an extra dollar at every TS you dine at. The extra dollar goes to the restaurant,not the server so that can't be wrapped into the tip either.
shan23877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:08 AM   #9
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2of2 View Post
You will get a bill, write the tip amount on the tip line and give the server your GC

We used a gc for tips when we were on the DlxDDP and it worked great. We gave our server both cards, our meal credits were deducted from our KTTW card and the tip was deducted from the gc...very easy .

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
Most restaurant computers aren't set up to charge for only a tip for the server. The server will likely have to charge you $1 for "miscellaneous" and then add their tip to that. So, you'll end up paying an extra dollar at every TS you dine at. The extra dollar goes to the restaurant,not the server so that can't be wrapped into the tip either.
I can't say how it's done as I don't know the process, but I kept track of every tip at each meal and we were never charged an extra $1. Whatever our tip was, that's exactly what was deducted from the gc, nothing more.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:09 AM   #10
nkereina
Wendy Darling

We prefer to have a wide variety of bills in cash so we can just throw down the tip and leave. Otherwise, not only do you have to wait while they run your card, but it could get awkward since they are seeing exactly what your tipping before your interaction with them is done.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #11
brownierose
Mouseketeer

We did cash on our last trip for tips but found at times that was confusing to wItstaff. They seemed to push you towards just charging it to your room. Our issue was sometimes we wanted to leave more. The last two days we did charge tip to our room abd I would go to front desk when we returned to pay tip there that we charged.
brownierose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:59 PM   #12
mom2of2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
ummm. NO. With the DP there already is an amount. The amount "owed" , the guest pays with dining plan credits. This is why there is a tip line on the check that is presented. The server swipes the code off the device to "pay for" the meal itself. They then enter in the amount of the tip, the dining credits are deducted and it asks the server how the balance is to be paid, the balance being the amount of the tip that the guest put on the tip line. The server then chooses gift card and swiped the card, the amount comes off and 2 slips are printed out. One for the DP and the other for the GC.

Never is there a $1 charge for anything and there is no extra amount taken.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:01 PM   #13
mom2of2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
We prefer to have a wide variety of bills in cash so we can just throw down the tip and leave. Otherwise, not only do you have to wait while they run your card, but it could get awkward since they are seeing exactly what your tipping before your interaction with them is done.
You still have to stay to sign for the DP so waiting isn't an issue for the GC to be run. Nothing should feel awkward.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:27 PM   #14
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2of2 View Post
You still have to stay to sign for the DP so waiting isn't an issue for the GC to be run. Nothing should feel awkward.
They scan your band at the table and hand you a receipt then and there to sign off on the dining plan. A gift card they'd have to take their station to run and print, unless the handheld scanners are capable of this now? It wasn't our experience last trip when magic bands were still relatively new. As for the awkward part, that's subjective. Sometimes it can be, especially if you've had bad service and are accounting for it.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:43 PM   #15
mom2of2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
They scan your band at the table and hand you a receipt then and there to sign off on the dining plan. A gift card they'd have to take their station to run and print, unless the handheld scanners are capable of this now? It wasn't our experience last trip when magic bands were still relatively new. As for the awkward part, that's subjective. Sometimes it can be, especially if you've had bad service and are accounting for it.
The receipt they hand you "right then and there" isn't a receipt. It's the check. They still have to process it in the computer.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: