Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2014, 02:42 PM   #16
markmcalear
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretchenohar@hotmail View Post
You're allowed to leave your jacket off in the kitchen at the Chef's Table, but must put it back on if you have to walk out into the main DR - to take a break, go to the bathroom, etc.
ok, I am dining in Queen Victorias room
Old 07-05-2014, 03:01 PM   #17
RealBlast3
Mouseketeer

You know it's funny, I recall feeling very hot during at least one of my dinners there (I get hot easily) and I flirted with the idea of putting my jacket on the back of my chair, but that little voice in my head was telling me, "Can you imagine the embarrassment you'll feel if they tell you to put it back on?". It seemed like an incredible thing for them to do, I thought I was just being paranoid, but I nevertheless have always left my jacket on, and now, WOW to actually hear confirmation that they will ask (tell) the gentlemen to put their jackets back on if they see them on the back of their chairs!

I don't know why I am actually kind of shocked by that. That seems a bit much, even though it does confirm my fearful instincts they would do that. This is the only restaurant I have ever been to that required me to wear a dinner jacket to enter, so I have no idea if that is the policy of all such restaurants, that the men can't ever remove them? Seems hard to believe. But maybe it is, I guess.
RealBlast3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-05-2014, 03:06 PM   #18
gretchenohar@hotmail

DIS Veteran

Think you'll have to leave it on, then.
Here's a very informative thread:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....highlight=suit
It was started several years ago tho, so you may want to start closer to the newer pages.
gretchenohar@hotmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:52 AM   #19
markmcalear
Mouseketeer

I think I will just take a suit with me...

I have a really nice Hugo Boss two piece that is very light indeed. That will do
Old 07-06-2014, 06:01 AM   #20
tndisneyfan
DIS Veteran

Just curious, but do the men get hot while they are eating with the jacket on? I know my DH gets hot easily, he would be sweating like crazy. DO they keep it cool enough for a man to be comfortable in a suit jacket?
Old 07-06-2014, 07:18 AM   #21
markmcalear
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tndisneyfan View Post
Just curious, but do the men get hot while they are eating with the jacket on? I know my DH gets hot easily, he would be sweating like crazy. DO they keep it cool enough for a man to be comfortable in a suit jacket?
This is another one of my concerns, usually when I eat I ALWAYS remove the jacket
Old 07-06-2014, 09:13 AM   #22
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretchenohar@hotmail View Post
Do you have a lightweight sports coat you could wear? Maybe pair it with some summer slacks? Just a thought....
This is all you need and is exactly what I wear every time we dine at V&A--and certainly no tie.

To add that I've not found it too hot in all the times we've eaten there....and that's almost 30 times since it opened in 1988.
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!

Last edited by Uncleromulus; 07-06-2014 at 09:32 AM.
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:21 AM   #23
DWillowBay
DIS Veteran

…Just go to Casey's for Hot Dogs. SO much easier!!

ASMo -1999, POP -2006, DLR - 2007, ASMo -2008, ASMu -2009, BCV - 2010, CSR - 2011, POFQ - 2012, BC - 2012, WL / CR - 2013 POR - 2014, POP! - 2014 POFQ - 2014 SO Blessed !
DWillowBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:52 PM   #24
kungaloosh22
Mouseketeer

My husband was told he only needed to wear the jacket while walking out to the restroom, but that he could keep it on the chair during our meal, which was what he did. That was a few years ago - has the policy changed?
kungaloosh22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:00 PM   #25
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tndisneyfan View Post
I was cold the last time I ate there. The air conditioning is quite high.
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:21 PM   #26
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWillowBay View Post
…Just go to Casey's for Hot Dogs. SO much easier!!
Isn't the food better at Victoria and Alberts? I would like to try but the dress code is a big turn off for me. The only kinds of jackets I have are rain jackets.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:01 PM   #27
RealBlast3
Mouseketeer

When it comes to whether you might be hot or cold, go with your instincts and what your body generally is. I tend to run hot and if drinking, even more so. I remember, specifically, I was dying on several of my dining excursions here with that jacket on and I just had to suffer through it. Plus, I have high blood pressure, and when I eat and drink alot, it goes up. It doesn't take much for me to sweat in these circumstances.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:04 PM   #28
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillauFr View Post
Isn't the food better at Victoria and Alberts? I would like to try but the dress code is a big turn off for me. The only kinds of jackets I have are rain jackets.
The food was amazing.

This type of dress code is actually not uncommon at a restaurant of this quality. the only reason it gets attention is "it's at Disney so I shouldn't have to dress up"

For the prices etc.. I am glad they enforce the dress code. Not everyplace has to be "one size fits all"
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:30 PM   #29
RealBlast3
Mouseketeer

I like getting dressed up, and I said in this or the other thread, I even have a system to make the process as comfortable as possible for me. However, not being allowed to put your dinner jacket on the back of your chair is a bit stuffy.

And yes, we've now heard 2 different accounts from two different posters, of course, where one was allowed to remove it, and the other was told to put it back on, so who knows what the official policy is. Probably depends on the day.

I have no problem wearing it inside and back out again, but while sitting at the table, I would prefer to take it off, not only because it keeps me hot, but it's easy to get it dirty with the sleeves, while eating. If I need to get up to use the rest room or whatever, I would put it back on. Some say they were allowed to do this, but another say he was told to put it back on. Who knows.

I mean, this is the greatest restaurant I've ever gone to, so I will put up with their policy of course. It's worth it. But they could be a bit more relaxed about it while you're in the middle of dining. It's hard on us gents - a lady can wear a strapless gown and be cool as a cucumber and still be adhering to the dress code - but we have to be in so many layers.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:07 PM   #30
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

We ate at V&A last month on a really hot day. I wore a sport coat (no tie) and my wife a very pretty sleeveless black maxi-dress that looked stunning. We were both very comfortable with the temperature in the restaurant.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: