DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2014, 04:02 PM   #1
3pletprincesses
DIS Veteran

need advice on points

I've been researching a lot over the past year about DVC, done a couple of tours while at WDW and have narrowed my resorts down. We would like to buy at either AKL or SSR. I know 2 big resorts but I like big resort but when push comes to shove, I would prefer AKL but SSR is a close second.

Now we travel annually to Disney since we had our girls almost 8 years ago with sometimes going twice in a year. Since we are a family of 6 with 7 yo triplets and 2 yo toddler, who BTW are Disney freaks like their mom, we still have a good amount of years ahead of us but 3 will go to college at the same time.

A 2 bedroom at AKL for the summer time which will probably end up being when we most likely travel due to school, we need 317-372 depending on week and that's fora Savannah view which will be a must unless we have a second trip planned then I will sacrifice the view in favour of extra days LOL. Standard view is 255-287 points.

How many points do you believe I should get and should I do one big contract or 2 smaller contracts ?

Sorry this was so long. I like to ramble
Old 07-03-2014, 05:07 PM   #2
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Buy the number of points needed for your vacations.

Smaller contracts will allow you more flexibility, you can add or remove when necessary should your needs or wants change.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-03-2014, 05:28 PM   #3
supersnoop
DIS Veteran

How far in advance do you book your trips? I'm pretty sure you'll be able to book a 2-bedroom Savanna view at 7 months in the summer without any problems, so I'd opt for SSR with its lower dues.

Smaller contracts are certainly easier to sell, but they are more expensive to purchase. Maybe you should look for a 160 SSR and a 160 AKV to hedge your chances.
supersnoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:35 AM   #4
com_op_2000
DVC Member since '93

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pletprincesses View Post
... we need 317-372 depending on week and that's fora Savannah view which will be a must unless we have a second trip planned then I will sacrifice the view in favour of extra days LOL. Standard view is 255-287 points...
IMHO, you should look at the highest number 372 add @10% (37) to come in @409. I would get 4 100 point contracts. Points charts can and do change
over time. This way you have some flexibility, along with banking/borrowing, and maybe you can get in those extra trips.
Plus over the course of @50 years, your vacation traveling will change.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:33 AM   #5
3pletprincesses
DIS Veteran

Does it happen often that they redistribute points in a resort? I hadn't tought of that aspect. 4 contract at 100 points each gives 1 contract per kids one we give them away to them.

We normally book bounce back so our trips are usually booked 1 year ahead of time. Sometimes it changes by a day or 2 but rarely does it change by weeks. This year is the first time in 4 year that i've changed completely going from Aug to Dec.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:56 AM   #6
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I've been researching a lot over the past year about DVC, done a couple of tours while at WDW and have narrowed my resorts down. We would like to buy at either AKL or SSR. I know 2 big resorts but I like big resort but when push comes to shove, I would prefer AKL but SSR is a close second.

Now we travel annually to Disney since we had our girls almost 8 years ago with sometimes going twice in a year. Since we are a family of 6 with 7 yo triplets and 2 yo toddler, who BTW are Disney freaks like their mom, we still have a good amount of years ahead of us but 3 will go to college at the same time.

A 2 bedroom at AKL for the summer time which will probably end up being when we most likely travel due to school, we need 317-372 depending on week and that's fora Savannah view which will be a must unless we have a second trip planned then I will sacrifice the view in favour of extra days LOL. Standard view is 255-287 points.

How many points do you believe I should get and should I do one big contract or 2 smaller contracts ?

Sorry this was so long. I like to ramble
If you must have AKV savannah view, I'd buy there. Just realize the long term cost owning AKV is going to be significantly more. Unless you'll stay AKV almost all of the time, I'd personally buy SSR and take my chances. I'd buy a single contract for now but likely in the 200-270 point range. Then if things work out well for you, you could buy a second contract in the 150-200 pt range, preferably at either SSR to be cheaper or at a higher end resort to give you more options.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:06 AM   #7
paults
HOME IS WHERE BWV IS

hope your doing resale. If you don't need all 300 plus pts right away I would look at the TSS and find something around 200 pts or smaller but no bigger. With banking and borrowing you'll be fine . Then next you can all on with same UY to get what you want. I think it's still cheaper than buying direct at $130 pt +

good luck
Old 07-04-2014, 11:38 AM   #8
3pletprincesses
DIS Veteran

Oh not buying direct for sure. Ssr would be abiut 400 cheaper in maintenance fees per year. Yes if staying at AKL I want Savannah view but I think Akl is big enough that even 7 months out I could that view just not sure of a 2 bedroom with view.

You are making me re think akl and back to SSR but that's 3less years for about the same pp price
Old 07-04-2014, 12:05 PM   #9
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh not buying direct for sure. Ssr would be abiut 400 cheaper in maintenance fees per year. Yes if staying at AKL I want Savannah view but I think Akl is big enough that even 7 months out I could that view just not sure of a 2 bedroom with view. You are making me re think akl and back to SSR but that's 3less years for about the same pp price
We are AKV owners and I have a 2 bedroom SV booked last August which I changed for a mix of BLT and Treehouses last August. About 2 days after 7 months my son announced he really wanted to go to Kidani so I tried to change it to include 4 nights in a 2 bedroom Savannah View. Could only get two, wait listed and stalked and it never came up in 7 months. That was late August. AKV is getting busier now they have sold out and it isn't as readily available as it was.
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:21 PM   #10
DenLo
DIS Veteran

We cannot separate where we want to stay from where we want to own. So we buy where we want to stay. I also think in the near future having the extra bathroom at AKV will be a factor for your family. So even though SSR would save you money, I think I would still go with AKV and have the home resort advantage with a 2BR that has three baths. Even AKV gets a little tricky to book in the extra busy October through January 7th time period. And as the kids get older you might change your vacation period and go at Christmas. Or you and your DH might have a getaway weekend for Food and Wine.

As to how many points and contracts, if you plan to travel to WDW yearly, the 400 points divided up equally into four contracts sounds great. But it might be hard to find four 100 points contracts resale with the same UY. I would be happy with contracts less than 150 points and as long as all of them have the same UY, then you can easily combine the contracts and only have one member number.

Good luck!

DenLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:27 PM   #11
3pletprincesses
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniesgal

We are AKV owners and I have a 2 bedroom SV booked last August which I changed for a mix of BLT and Treehouses last August. About 2 days after 7 months my son announced he really wanted to go to Kidani so I tried to change it to include 4 nights in a 2 bedroom Savannah View. Could only get two, wait listed and stalked and it never came up in 7 months. That was late August. AKV is getting busier now they have sold out and it isn't as readily available as it was.
That's what I'm affraid of and Savanna view is important to me. That's the only me that I request plus as I get older I can see myself liking it even more then now. We do appreciate our time at the resort now with 4 young kids and I can't imagine it will change. We made it si that resort time I'd part if our vacation just as mych as psrks if nit mire Kwim
Old 07-04-2014, 12:30 PM   #12
3pletprincesses
DIS Veteran

Would you all agree that an April or June us the best for summer or fall travel?
Old 07-04-2014, 12:52 PM   #13
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Would you all agree that an April or June us the best for summer or fall travel?
april is a good UY if you rarely plan to travel to wdw in jan/feb/march. june UY works as long as you don't go very often in march/april/may.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:54 PM   #14
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I really liked mid-May until my DD started school. After that, we were restricted to summer (mid-Jun to Labor Day), spring and Christmas breaks.

While buying 4 100 point contracts seems like a great idea at first blush, it's going to cost you more than one larger contract since 100 point contacts are in high demand so they fetch higher prices and you would have to pay 4 separate closing costs.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:04 PM   #15
3pletprincesses
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb
I really liked mid-May until my DD started school. After that, we were restricted to summer (mid-Jun to Labor Day), spring and Christmas breaks.

While buying 4 100 point contracts seems like a great idea at first blush, it's going to cost you more than one larger contract since 100 point contacts are in high demand so they fetch higher prices and you would have to pay 4 separate closing costs.
I live May and we too went before the gurls started school. I can pull them out for a week just a ciuple mire tears but after it wiuld be a bad idea. I think I'll get 2 200 points contracts like I first thought.

Does anyone have an idea of what a value room is at Akl? I can't find much on the subject

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: