Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2014, 08:17 PM   #1
twob4him
DIS Veteran

Dancing in disney

Hello Disney fans from a fellow fan!

Have you ever wondered what it was like to travel with a dance group to disney? If so, read on!!

My two younger girls dance at our local dance studio and were asked to join the group of dancers who would perform in Disney in June 2014

We said "YES!" cause a Disney trip is always in order, dont you think?

Now that being said, I am a planner. I organize all of our family trips so this would be the first time I would be turning over the reins. Fortunately our awesome dance teachers handled the whole process with precision and organization that I love them for.

After we signed up in Oct, each girl was assigned a Pal Mickey (dance teacher) . They did many gift exchanges and parties for all of the dancers. FUN!!! They also had weekly practices throughout the winter. And then it snowed. And snowed. So much so that instead of our trip being the week after school ended, our trip began on the last day of school. Whoops We missed that last half day.

So the plan was this. We chartered a bus to the airport, flew to MCO, took a charter bus to Port Orleans French Quarter. We had a block of rooms so we were all near each other. There was a performance Sunday night in Downtown Disney and a group function on Thursday at Mickey's Backyard BBQ. The rest of the week was free. We had parkhoppers with waterpark and breakfast and lunch coupons for counterservice. Sounds like a dream come true! My girls were super excited and so was I!!

So here are my Dancin Girls!

First is Devon (10 yrs). She is my middle child. She obviously loves dancing. She is very smart. Quiet. Loves kids and babies. Loves to hang around with her friends!

[IMG]http

and my youngest is Brooklyn (9yrs). She loves dancing, wearing custom clothing (thank goodness she still lets me sew for her for Disney), obviously loves Disney. Loves school too!

[IMG]

and then there is me, Cathy. I teach high school science and love to sew. Obviously I love Disney...complete Disney nut, one-track brain, the whole nine. I know you know what I mean since you are reading this and are probably the exact same! ha!

[IMG][/IMG]

And there you have it. The introduction!

As with all of you, I was especially anxious about the magic bands. We weren't even sure we were going to be able to have them on this trip since we were with a group. I was late making ADR's and only made our FP+ picks about 20 days in advance. Wow! And would they work was my question.

Sooooo, read on to find out. I usually take tons of pics. I have a nice DSLR but left it home this time. I really wanted to focus on the girls and not annoying them every five steps for a picture. So I had my iPhone 5 and my husband's Kodak Play Sport camera/video camera thingy...it was light. Plus I ordered photopass. Even so, I came home with 1000 pics most of which you will see here. Love pictures!

Ok, ready???

Cape May Dancers to Walt Disney June 2014....and we are off and running!
Old 07-03-2014, 08:20 PM   #2
twob4him
DIS Veteran

Dancing in Disney - chapters

Saving this post to add chapters to it...in case you want to skip the chat. Feel free to chat and comment however!

Oh and I finish what I start.....so this trip report will not leave you hanging in the middle.

Day one - Travel Day Getting to the airport

Day one - Travel Day, on the airplane

Day One - Travel Day, Getting to the Resort

Day Two - Morning

Day Two - Morning continued

Day Two - Late morning and early afternoon

Day Two - Afternoon part 1

Day Two - Afternoon part 2

Day Two - Afternoon part 3

Day Two - Afternoon part 4

Day Two - Evening Part 1

Day Two - Evening Part 2

Day Three - Morning

Day Three - DTD and Performance

Day Three - DTD and the rest of the performance

Day Three - MK Evening, Part 1

Last edited by twob4him; 08-18-2014 at 09:16 PM.
twob4him is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-03-2014, 09:05 PM   #3
mlnbabies
Mouseketeer

Can't wait to follow.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:02 PM   #4
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

I'm in! My daughter took up ballet last year (at the ripe old age of 3) and hoping that I can take her on a trip like this in the future ... oh, and that she has fun and get personal growth and all the jazz too

Definitely must be a weird experience to not really do much of the planning .. I know I would be a wreck having to turn my spreadsheets over to someone else

**In Progress** It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Disney World with a 1 month old - A Trip Report: 08/25-08-29/14
Wait, weren't you just at Disney World? An August '14 Pre-Trip Report - A Pre-Trip Report: 8/25 - 8/29
Ooh-de-lally! A dining heavy October '13 Trip Report - A Trip Report: 10/11-10/18/13
Faint hearts never won fair lady - or got all the ADRs you wanted. - A Dining Review 10/8/11 - 10/15/11
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" - A Dining Review 10/24/09 - 10/31/09
TheMaxRebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:25 AM   #5
disnuty
Earning My Ears

Loved watching the girls dance! Can't wait to hear how rest of the trip went!

Melissa DH DS (3)

DVC Owner- OKW 2011

BWV -2002, AS Music - 2005, DCL 2007, OKW - 2008, POP 2009, CBR 2010, SSR 8/11, CBR 11/11, OKW 6/12, OKW 8/12, SSR 11/12, BWV 6/13, AKL Kidani 7/13, AKL Jambo, BLT, VWL, POR FR - 6/22/14-7/6/14
disnuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:49 PM   #6
twob4him
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlnbabies View Post
Can't wait to follow.

I am adding more in a few minutes! Thanks for following along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaxRebo View Post
I'm in! My daughter took up ballet last year (at the ripe old age of 3) and hoping that I can take her on a trip like this in the future ... oh, and that she has fun and get personal growth and all the jazz too

Definitely must be a weird experience to not really do much of the planning .. I know I would be a wreck having to turn my spreadsheets over to someone else
It was tough but it did help me to try new things so I am happy in the end. I would do it again. Awwww your daughter is so little but they love dance so much and i agree it is good for them

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnuty View Post
Loved watching the girls dance! Can't wait to hear how rest of the trip went!
And I cant wait to hear about yours! Enjoy the weekend!
Old 07-04-2014, 06:22 PM   #7
twob4him
DIS Veteran

Day 1 Travel Day Getting to the Airport

After much waiting, the day finally arrived!! We were excited to say the least.

Our luggage was waiting by the front door!
[IMG]

Everyone matched for our travel day.

[IMG][/IMG]

[/IMG]

We headed to the dance studio to meet everyone who was taking the charter bus.

[IMG][/IMG]

It was so organized. We even had name tags on our seats on the bus.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

We were off right on time. One thing I was surprised about was that everyone was where they were supposed to be on time the entire trip....adults and kids alike. We all received a packet of info and schedules but many times, people dont follow it. This trip we all did! yaa!! makes the teacher in me happy!

Everyone had these cute bows made by a parent for the girls for the trip....arent they cute?
[IMG][/IMG]

So the bus ride was uneventful.

Well, not exactly.

First, one of the little kids got stuck in the bathroom and was so upset and screaming. We kept asking the bus driver if he had a key. After 20 minutes of the parents and dance teachers trying to talk her through how to unlock the door, the bus driver finally stopped and tried to help. I think he had a key

And then there was the "fire" on the bus. Well it wasnt exactly a fire...yet. Apparently a backpack under a seat was sitting on an uncovered bulb and it melted through the backpack and made the seat hot...ready to burst into flames??? We evacuated the bus quickly. Then we fixed the lightbulb. I am not sure the bus driver did much. I found that to be kinda weird....but back on the bus we went. And we made it just fine the rest of the way.

So we arrived at the airport and checked our bags....got our boarding passes and headed to security. Somehow we ended up in a speed check line or something...where you don't take off your shoes or have bins to put your stuff in?? I was a bit confused since we were prepared for all of that. So we just dumped our stuff on the conveyer belt...bags and all and left our shoes on and went through the security screen no problem.

Our flight was delayed an hour or two. So we had plenty of socialization time at the gate...and we had a little picnic.

[IMG][/IMG]

More coming up next!
Old 07-05-2014, 08:16 AM   #8
mlnbabies
Mouseketeer

Love the shirts!
Old 07-05-2014, 11:27 AM   #9
twob4him
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Love the shirts!
Thank you! They were our shirts from the recital...gotta love double duty!
Old 07-05-2014, 12:11 PM   #10
twob4him
DIS Veteran

Day One Travel Day - on the airplane

Hello again! I think I left you at the gate....picnicing!

[IMG]http://[/IMG]

The kids played and since families were along, there were all ages, which is perfect for my baby-sitting loving daughter!

[IMG][/IMG]

and off they go!

[IMG][/IMG]

And then we finally boarded. Everyone boards in sections and just picks seat. Why don't all airlines do this????? It made it so easy!!

Here we are getting settled...

[IMG][/IMG]

[/IMG]

and then came the fuel delay or something like that. Too much fuel???? So we had an extra 20 minute wait before we pushed back while they worked out that snafu.

The girls had gum for take off and off we went!

[/IMG

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I LOVE flying....hate the whole getting to the airport and waiting and cramming on a plane, etc. But the flying part looking out the window is such fun to me!

[IMG][/IMG]

At this point I wasnt sure Brooklyn was enjoying herself or not?? Let me just spare you the details and thank God that Devon spotted the little white bag in her pocket!

How about some more window shots? Shall we??

[IMG][/IMG]

Our flight itself went pretty fast...I think the airline allowed extra time in the flight plan so even though we were supposed to land around 5 pm, with all of the delays, it turned out to be 6 pm instead. Not bad. Here we are coming in for a landing!

[IMG]http://[/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Flaps up!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

And Brooklyn.....we are here!!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

Now to disembark!

[IMG][/IMG]

What is our next adventure? Stay tuned...be back with more later today

WELCOME TO SUNNY FLORIDA

Last edited by twob4him; 07-05-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:59 PM   #11
MeMom
DIS Veteran

We love flying, too. It's nice to get to WDW in less than two hours and not be worn out. On the way home, it's so much better than a cranky John driving for 11 hours.

The down side is the cost, if you are paying for a family. Sophie has one last trip that's free, and then Jill will be paying for five plane tickets there and back. That's a bundle of money. I think maybe as the girls get a bit older and better understand the concept of time, we may do more driving. Right now, it's hard to explain to Sophie and Bella that we'll stop in two hours or whatever. They just know they are trapped in a car seat for hours. It is nice to have a car when we're down there, so that's another plus.

You are in Florida! Let's see what fun is in store!
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
MeMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:14 PM   #12
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a bit of a scary bus ride - trapped kids, melting backpack, seats on fire! Glad you arrived safe though

Flying can definitely be fun - especially with a group and especially when going someplace fun.

Not sure I got the "small white bag in a pocket" thing though

**In Progress** It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Disney World with a 1 month old - A Trip Report: 08/25-08-29/14
Wait, weren't you just at Disney World? An August '14 Pre-Trip Report - A Pre-Trip Report: 8/25 - 8/29
Ooh-de-lally! A dining heavy October '13 Trip Report - A Trip Report: 10/11-10/18/13
Faint hearts never won fair lady - or got all the ADRs you wanted. - A Dining Review 10/8/11 - 10/15/11
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" - A Dining Review 10/24/09 - 10/31/09
TheMaxRebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:42 PM   #13
disnuty
Earning My Ears

What bus company? Sounds like an eventful trip before u even made it to PHL. I hope Brooklyn did better on the flight home. It looked like such a fun group. Glad to see some of the teachers are former students too Can't wait for more.....

Melissa DH DS (3)

DVC Owner- OKW 2011

BWV -2002, AS Music - 2005, DCL 2007, OKW - 2008, POP 2009, CBR 2010, SSR 8/11, CBR 11/11, OKW 6/12, OKW 8/12, SSR 11/12, BWV 6/13, AKL Kidani 7/13, AKL Jambo, BLT, VWL, POR FR - 6/22/14-7/6/14
disnuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:34 PM   #14
mlnbabies
Mouseketeer

Sounds like a stressful bus ride. We are flying on SW from Dallas to LAX in Dec. Our first trip to Disneyland for my 50th birthday. Glad it was a smooth flight after the delay.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:22 PM   #15
twob4him
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
We love flying, too. It's nice to get to WDW in less than two hours and not be worn out. On the way home, it's so much better than a cranky John driving for 11 hours.

The down side is the cost, if you are paying for a family. Sophie has one last trip that's free, and then Jill will be paying for five plane tickets there and back. That's a bundle of money. I think maybe as the girls get a bit older and better understand the concept of time, we may do more driving. Right now, it's hard to explain to Sophie and Bella that we'll stop in two hours or whatever. They just know they are trapped in a car seat for hours. It is nice to have a car when we're down there, so that's another plus.

You are in Florida! Let's see what fun is in store!

Its a love/hate relationship with driving...that is for sure. We are driving next trip I think. From NJ it is about 19-20 hours so with a couple of drivers you can drive straight through but.....I prefer to stay overnight in SC and arrive more "fresh". Agree about having a car in Disney. First it is free parking and second, it is so much easier to go out to dinner at night from resort to resort...rather than a taxi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaxRebo View Post
Sounds like a bit of a scary bus ride - trapped kids, melting backpack, seats on fire! Glad you arrived safe though

Flying can definitely be fun - especially with a group and especially when going someplace fun.

Not sure I got the "small white bag in a pocket" thing though

I love going with a group too! Fun to have people around you to help and talk to.
So the little white bag in the pocket. You have got to understand Brooklyn is a worrier of sorts. And the milkshake before boarding made a reappearance when she woke up from her nap. My seatback pocket was empty and i glanced at the bathroom...we weren't going to make it. But just in the nick of time, Devon handed me that handy white bag for Brooklyn that she found in her pocket . Parents around me started handing me bags and mints and tissues too! Sooo kind! After that she was fine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnuty View Post
What bus company? Sounds like an eventful trip before u even made it to PHL. I hope Brooklyn did better on the flight home. It looked like such a fun group. Glad to see some of the teachers are former students too Can't wait for more.....
Not sure of the bus company actually. The bus itself was nice and they were on time...all good! Luckily Brooklyn did better until it was time to go home. Poor nervous Nelly. She didnt eat much this time and made it home fine!

Quote:
Sounds like a stressful bus ride. We are flying on SW from Dallas to LAX in Dec. Our first trip to Disneyland for my 50th birthday. Glad it was a smooth flight after the delay.
Ohhhh Disneyland for your 50th sounds fabulous!!!

Last edited by twob4him; 07-08-2014 at 01:15 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: