Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2014, 06:51 AM   #1
dryslick
Earning My Ears

What are bag rules on coaster rides or DCA RSR?

I'm been searching for advice / experience with taking bags on some of the DL / DCA rides like the coasters or RSR. I must not be searching with correct terms because I'm not finding much.

I hope to carry a camera bag backpack most of the day and I'll use a locker as needed. However, I don't know if backpacks are generally ok to keep with you or do they have an area to set down by ride, etc... I don't want to wait a long time for a ride and then be told the bag can't go on the ride such as Radiator Springs Racer? I plan to use a locker some of the time so don't plan to carry it all day.

One other related question, the same would be true with a tripod? In the evening after fireworks, I'd likely be carrying a tripod. I could transfer it to another family member but could it even be carried on some rides? I'd probably be fine setting that in a bag area by the ride but I don't know how the rides are setup.

Thanks!
dryslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:44 AM   #2
waltdisneyworlddreamer
100% WDW Fanatic

I carried a backpack with me and never had a problem. We rode every ride there from Screamin to RSR to the teacups. I was always able to keep it with me usually just put it between my legs.
November 2005 All Star Movies
November 2007 Pop Century
March 2009 Gaylord Palms
September 2010 Pop Century & DISNEY CRUISE LINE!!!
June 2012 Disney Dream DCL & Magic Kingdom
June 2014 Disneyland!!!!

It is impossible to be a perfect parent, but there are a million ways to be a good one!
waltdisneyworlddreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-02-2014, 07:49 AM   #3
starshine514
DIS Veteran

I've carried a regular-sized adult backpack with me on pretty much every ride at DLR (though foot room space on Goofy's and Gadget's coasters is really tight). So, that should be fine. I haven't carried a tripod, though. Hopefully someone can answer to that.
Disneyland Trips -1983, 1986, May 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, August 2011 - Super 8 on Katella, November 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, December 2011 - Quality Inn on Manchester, January 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, March 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, May 2012 - Del Sol Inn, September 2012 - Del Sol Inn, November 2012 - Del Sol Inn, January 2013 - Ramada Maingate, February 2013 - Quality Inn on Manchester, April 2013 - Del Sol Inn, May 2013 - Hojo, August 2013 - Del Sol Inn, September 2013 - Desert Inn & Suites, November 2013 (one day trip!) - Welk Resort San Diego
Disney World Trips - July 1988, January 2010 - Sheraton Vistana Resort, November 2010 (work trip - no family along) - Coronado Springs Resort
starshine514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:53 AM   #4
Drusilla99
Mouseketeer

I carry an adult backpack on every ride, every time, never a problem. I'm an ap, so I'm there quite often, about once a month. Other than leaving balloons with the ride operator, I've never noticed a bag area where you could drop off the tripod. I'd leave this with someone, in a locker, or get one that can collapse to the size of the backpack that maybe just sticks out a bit.
Drusilla99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:59 AM   #5
mikedoyleblogger
DIS Veteran

If your concern is that DLR may have Six Flags-style hard limitations on carrying items on rides, it really doesn't. DLR pretty much doesn't restrict bags on rides, within reason. Backpacks, shoulder bags, purses, I've seen them all on the major thrill rides, except Soarin' Over California and Star Tours, which both require using the onboard large pouches to store things. But you still carry your bags on even those rides before stowing them.

Most folks hold them between their legs if they are large, or simply keep wearing them if they are small. That said, you of course have to *hold onto them*. Some rides have small pouches for smaller bags, hats, etc. (examples: Matterhorn Bobsleds; California Screamin'; Big Thunder), but not everyone trusts them.
WDW 1973 Poly | WDW Jul 1977 offsite | DLR Jul 1988 offsite | DLP Apr 2000 offsite | DLR Apr 2002 PPH | DLR Sep 2002 HoJo | DLR Dec 2002 HoJo (HolidayTime!) | DLR Apr 2003 HoJo | DLR Dec 2005 HoJo | DLR Mar 2013 HoJo | WDW May 2013 Pop | DLR Oct 2013 HoJo (HalloweenTime!) | DLR Aug 2014 GCH | DLR/WDW (We'll see which one!) Sep 2014 TBD | DLR Dec 2014 TBD (HolidayTime!) | Moving to L.A. 2015!
mikedoyleblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:05 AM   #6
kangamama
Mouseketeer

In addition to what others have posted, a lot of rides have mesh pockets where you can place smaller items like a hat or sunglasses that might blow off if you kept them on when riding. Just don't forget to get your stuff out! When I have a backpack I put it between my feet and will sometimes place one foot through an arm strap to keep it in the car.
kangamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:08 AM   #7
dryslick
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone for easing my concerns. It's good to know I won't get surprised at the front of the line with regards to not being able to hold a backpack on a ride. Regarding the tripod, I'm fine figuring that out. That only comes into play at night. I plan to get a locker anyway to stow equipment when doing wet rides. I'll probably put it back there after fireworks.

Everyone is so helpful on this forum! I had no idea what a big community Disney had to help. Thanks!
Old 07-02-2014, 09:14 AM   #8
mikedoyleblogger
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryslick View Post
Thanks everyone for easing my concerns. It's good to know I won't get surprised at the front of the line with regards to not being able to hold a backpack on a ride. Regarding the tripod, I'm fine figuring that out. That only comes into play at night. I plan to get a locker anyway to stow equipment when doing wet rides. I'll probably put it back there after fireworks.

Everyone is so helpful on this forum! I had no idea what a big community Disney had to help. Thanks!
I missed the part about the tripod. Beware that you can't use a large/commercial tripod in Disneyland (like the kind you might carry on a strap over your shoulder). It has to be able to fit into a bag (like a backpack), and you have to be very mindful of not impeding other guests when using it or CMs may intervene.
WDW 1973 Poly | WDW Jul 1977 offsite | DLR Jul 1988 offsite | DLP Apr 2000 offsite | DLR Apr 2002 PPH | DLR Sep 2002 HoJo | DLR Dec 2002 HoJo (HolidayTime!) | DLR Apr 2003 HoJo | DLR Dec 2005 HoJo | DLR Mar 2013 HoJo | WDW May 2013 Pop | DLR Oct 2013 HoJo (HalloweenTime!) | DLR Aug 2014 GCH | DLR/WDW (We'll see which one!) Sep 2014 TBD | DLR Dec 2014 TBD (HolidayTime!) | Moving to L.A. 2015!
Old 07-02-2014, 09:14 AM   #9
dryslick
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangamama View Post
When I have a backpack I put it between my feet and will sometimes place one foot through an arm strap to keep it in the car.
I missed this while writing the other reply. Putting my foot through is a good idea. I'll use that. My backpack will have a DSLR and a couple of heavier zooms. I'll feel better securing it like that. Thanks!
Old 07-02-2014, 09:24 AM   #10
nikkislaght
DIS Veteran

I use a cane.. and there are one or two rides that the CM will take it from you.. Screaming is one, and have it over on the exit side. I dont know if they would do this for a tripod though..
nikkislaght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:29 AM   #11
dryslick
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedoyleblogger View Post
Beware that you can't use a large/commercial tripod in Disneyland (like the kind you might carry on a strap over your shoulder). It has to be able to fit into a bag (like a backpack), and you have to be very mindful of not impeding other guests when using it or CMs may intervene.
Oh, that's good to know. I'll have to watch out for that or ask a CM about it when entering the park before I really need it. I see lots of long exposure photos so I know those are shot with tripods. I'm hoping to shoot DL at night when it clears out more between 10-12.

I do carry it with a carry strap. I think it's a medium-sized photo tripod. It's a little too large for bag but not bulky like the tall commercial ones. It's a Manfrotto MT190XPRO3 Aluminum Tripod. Without ballhead, it is only 23" tall but it extends to 63".

Thanks for the heads-up!
Old 07-02-2014, 09:32 AM   #12
dryslick
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkislaght View Post
I use a cane.. and there are one or two rides that the CM will take it from you.. Screaming is one, and have it over on the exit side. I dont know if they would do this for a tripod though..
If they take your cane, I bet they would ask me to remove the tripod and I'd definitely understand that on Screaming. I see why tripod would be pushing it too much there. I'll probably not push it with the tripod without checking on a given ride earlier that day. Thanks!
Old 07-02-2014, 10:07 AM   #13
mikedoyleblogger
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryslick View Post
Oh, that's good to know. I'll have to watch out for that or ask a CM about it when entering the park before I really need it. I see lots of long exposure photos so I know those are shot with tripods. I'm hoping to shoot DL at night when it clears out more between 10-12.

I do carry it with a carry strap. I think it's a medium-sized photo tripod. It's a little too large for bag but not bulky like the tall commercial ones. It's a Manfrotto MT190XPRO3 Aluminum Tripod. Without ballhead, it is only 23" tall but it extends to 63".

Thanks for the heads-up!
The DLR website says it has to fit in a backpack unfortunately. See here:

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/faq...rmitted-items/
Old 07-02-2014, 10:55 AM   #14
crystal1313
DIS Veteran

If you ride GRR at DCA, they have free lockers you can put your stuff in so it won't get wet!
Old 07-02-2014, 12:12 PM   #15
dryslick
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedoyleblogger View Post
The DLR website says it has to fit in a backpack unfortunately.
Well I'll be... You're right and I'm shocked given the number of long exposure tripod shots I see that I can tell are from shoulder height or higher. I wonder how strictly it's enforced because flickr is full of tripod shots and they don't all seem to have a low point of view. I'll have to start looking for a smaller tripod in case that is needed. Thank you for taking time to point that out!

Tags
bag rule, bags, camera bag, rollercoaster, rsr

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: