Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2014, 08:18 AM   #1
kittymamma
Earning My Ears

Question ?? for the Fashionistas

Ladies who have sailed Caribbean in Nov-Dec....what do you pack ? I checked the average temps for Eastern Caribbean and realize it is still summery but do you still wear linens , white slacks ( never after Labor Day in these parts of the country) ? Or do you do more with khaki and less bright colors. Do you need more light sweaters or wind jackets on deck during the sail ? Trying to decide if I should hold off on putting away my real summery clothes at the end of the season or just planning on taking some mid weight stuff . I know it sounds silly but don't want to be the only gal on the ship dressed in summer white when the fashionistas are wearing navy so I'm coming to those "in the know".
kittymamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:12 AM   #2
taswira
"Let It Go" - but carefully guard your secrets!

It's the Caribbean, so white/summery attire is acceptable year-around . . but it's late fall/early winter, so khaki or black/navy is also good and you can easily add a colorful top or cover-up to that. I take pants in white and beige or khaki, plus black dress slacks, and tend to top those with brighter colors. I usually also include a pair or two of colorful capris, but occasionally not. I take mostly colorful dresses, but for formal night I wear a formal evening gown - sometimes traditional black, sometimes a brighter color. I add a couple of cardigan cover-ups for the chilly inside AC and a windbreaker or fleece hoodie for evenings on deck or my verandah, and I'm all set.

Keep in mind that many Guests (especially from this board) will wear shorts and t-shirts of any color and material throughout the cruise (even in the dining rooms), and couldn't care less what others wear. So if you choose to sail as a Fashionista, do it for your own enjoyment (and the enjoyment of the crew, because they do notice and appreciate it) and out of respect for the elegant ship. Have fun!
DCL #20: 11/8/2014 DISNEY FANTASY
DCL #21: 12/5/2015 DISNEY FANTASY
taswira is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-30-2014, 10:46 AM   #3
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

I never wear white simply because I'am SO fair that it just washes me out. (Snow White has commented on how fair I'am!) and I'm a natural red head.

I live in Australia so I'm used to warm weather all year. I usually have my base colours as black, navy and khaki with accents in bright pink, orange and red. I wear linen pants during the day and usually a long sleeve shirt in cotton (I burn) and a light scarf (again - I burn!) Depending on how long we are away, I'll add a dress or two for dinner or Palo. I usually pack at least two full maxi length skirts as well to mix and match.

I couldn't wear shorts (burning!) although I always feel a little dressier in nice pants or a skirt. I just can't do real "casual" especially on the cruise (the parks too) I just prefer to be a little dressier.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:59 AM   #4
taswira
"Let It Go" - but carefully guard your secrets!

Disney_Princess83 - Same here. I am very fair but blonde. I do wear white, but not around my face, so it doesn't wash me out. And I also prefer to be dressier. It makes the experience more special!
DCL #20: 11/8/2014 DISNEY FANTASY
DCL #21: 12/5/2015 DISNEY FANTASY
taswira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:28 AM   #5
Mickeyhugger
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by taswira View Post
Disney_Princess83 - Same here. I am very fair but blonde. I do wear white, but not around my face, so it doesn't wash me out. And I also prefer to be dressier. It makes the experience more special!
Same here. I love to be 'dressy' every night of the cruise. I'm coordinating outfits right now for our September cruise.

Mickeyhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:38 AM   #6
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by taswira View Post
Yes, it's more fun. And my sister takes a million photos So I like to look my best

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:56 PM   #7
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

The "no white after Labor Day" rule is really not followed much anymore. Personally, I never followed it. I wear what I like and don't worry what others think of me.

It's your vacation. Wear the outfits that make you happy and feel great!
Old 06-30-2014, 01:32 PM   #8
MakiraMarlena
It's a big black fish to you

I think the Labor Day thing is crap, but I'm sure in the Caribbean they couldn't care less. Wear anything that is appropriate for the venue and the weather.
MakiraMarlena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:38 PM   #9
kittymamma
Earning My Ears

Thank you !

Thank you Ladies...that gives me an idea of what to take. We have only cruised during summer months so I was stumped about attire. I guess I'm old enough to still adhere to the rules I grew up with in the South...the no white after Labor Day and dressing up for dinner. My hubby and I enjoy wearing the tux and long dress on formal night but are equally comfortable on the more casual nights as well. No matter, we will have a glorious time and I appreciate your thoughtful replies.
kittymamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:27 PM   #10
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittymamma View Post
Thank you Ladies...that gives me an idea of what to take. We have only cruised during summer months so I was stumped about attire. I guess I'm old enough to still adhere to the rules I grew up with in the South...the no white after Labor Day ....
And that's fine, but you're not in the American South when you're in the Caribbean. American rules don't apply. Where what you want.

We cruised in Jan and Feb, and while it's officially winter, it hasn't been COLD once we're away from FL. (this January was so cold while we were there in FL, just sooo cold...and I know that my cousins cruised in Feb 2012 and the cold snap that hit FL also hit Castaway and as they made their way back to PC) So people still do dress for warm weather, no real seasonal color changes needed.

Even in Jan and Feb I wore pretty dresses to dinner (will remember the shrugs or coverups next time, though! Brr in the dining room!), I had nylons for the formal nights on our RCCL 7 day cruise so I wore those with the springier dresses as well for a bit more warmth and dressed-up feeling. But daytimes I was in swimsuit and swim coverup, or shorts, etc.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:57 AM   #11
finkerbell
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyhugger View Post
Same here. I love to be 'dressy' every night of the cruise. I'm coordinating outfits right now for our September cruise.
Me too - I don't believe I've ever worn anything to dinner other than a dress in all of the cruises I've been on (except Pirate night). For Semi-Formal nights I wear semi-formal, for Formal night I wear formal. For Palo a dressy dress, not quite semi-formal but close. I love dressing up and I feel my time on a cruise is special. I love the tradition as well. I'm not a fan of the new dress code for dinner (unless it's for the buffet) - I think there are so many dining options for those who want to dress down (shorts etc), but that's just my opinion and it won't change anything lol. If you like to dress up go for it :D
finkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:42 AM   #12
sweetpee_1993
DIS Veteran

As others have said, don't worry about colors and time of year. Its tropical. Fall & winter are things from books, tv, & movies. Bring a sweater for your shoulders as needed. No problem.

I hate dressing up but I love my Lilly Pulitzer clothes. Cruising is a perfect time to break out all my cute, colorful stuff. If I have to "dress" I've found a way to make it tolerable for myself and that's by wearing stuff that makes me smile. I wear dresses to dinners, shorts during the day. I need few shoes since a cute pair of sandals work well with all of it. For "formal" night I have a black Lilly cocktail dress & black kitten heel pumps.....if we do formal night. My favorite formal night yet was spent at Quiet Cove with the pool, all loungers, the bar, and the hot tub all to ourselves. Sweet!
Disney Adventures: 1/04 POP, 1/05 POP, 2/06 POP, 1/07 POP, 12/07 CR, 5/08 POFQ sans kids, 1/09 CR, 5/09 Poly w/o the family, 1/10 AKL, 11/10 POFQ, 9/11 WL+DCL Dream+YC, 5/12 DCL Magic, 9/12 DCL Dream sans kids, 1/13 DCL Magic, 5/13 DCL Fantasy, 9/13 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/13 DCL Fantasy sans kids, 4/14 DLH/Disneyland, 9/14 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/14 DCL Wonder DD, 10/14 DCL Wonder DD

Other Adventures:
11/13 RCI Allure of the Seas

Future Adventures:
5/15 DCL Wonder WBPC
9/15 DCL Dream w/friends
sweetpee_1993 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: