Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2014, 09:46 AM   #1
Terrena
Love Disney!

Castaway Cay question

Does anyone know if Castaway Cay has shark nets in the pond area?

Sorry if that's a silly question. I just want to make sure the kids are safe while snorkeling.
Terrena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:52 AM   #2
DISNEY FANTASY
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas

Location: London England UK Why is Cinderella such a lousy football player? Because she has a pumpkin for a coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrena View Post

Sorry if that's a silly question. I just want to make sure the kids are safe while snorkeling.
There is a sea wall with a sml opening I do not think they gave bets but the sharks are unlikely to come into that area it's shallow and not interesting to them. They avoid us if they can.
* Disney Magic -
July 2014 12 Night Med + Greece.
* Disney Wonder - August 2013 Lots of photos Alaska and full navigators, -In 'The Walt' photo thread here,
* Disney Fantasy - Back to back, Eastern and Western, Two weeks in concierge!
* Disney Magic - 8 cruises, inc 12 night Baltic, 11 night Med, 14 & 15 night Panama, & 7 night Caribbean.
Other lines inc RCI and Princess.Next, Disney Magic 12 night Northern Europe 2015.
DISNEY FANTASY is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-29-2014, 10:04 AM   #3
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet

Quote:

Pond area? Not sure what you mean by that, but there are nets around the family beach area. I've seen pictures of them that the island CM's have taken. Sometimes sharks get caught in them and die and they have to remove them.

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic 2004, 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014 DCL Fantasy 2015
Zandy595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:37 AM   #4
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

To add there is no such net at Serenity Beach that I am aware of
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:06 AM   #5
mom2wyattnaaron
Mary Poppins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandy595 View Post
Pond area? Not sure what you mean by that, but there are nets around the family beach area. I've seen pictures of them that the island CM's have taken. Sometimes sharks get caught in them and die and they have to remove them.
Ha Ha. I want to know how sharks can get into a pond. I am totally against a shark net. But, you better believe that Disney has done everything to avoid a lawsuit and keep everyone safe.
mom2wyattnaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:07 AM   #6
ColoradoDisneyFreaks
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Safe from what? Sharks? Contrary to beliefs, sharks don't have any interest in eating people, or children. Kids snorkeling do not look like seals, so aren't at risk of being bitten. Jaws was fiction.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:34 AM   #7
taswira
"Let It Go" - but carefully guard your secrets!

While "Jaws" type attacks of "getting eaten" are fictional, being bitten by smaller sharks in shallow water is not. I live a few miles from what is called "The Shark Bite Capital of the World," where such bites are common. Check out this WFTV video and article. And scroll down this page on the National Geographic site, where it notes: "New Smyrna Beach in Florida is the shark attack capital of the world according to ISAF. It is estimated that anyone who has swam there has been within 10ft of a shark."

Still, the odds of being bitten at CC are minimal to none, and I imagine could only happen at SB if at all. Don't bother them and they shouldn't bother you.
taswira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:44 AM   #8
nancipants
Mouseketeer

I used to live right down the road from you. Thankfully I never saw a shark at the beach, although my dad did once. It swam right by him. (I was more scared of jellyfish!) Most of the time the sharks take a chunk out of someone's leg and then swim away. Humans don't taste very good.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:53 AM   #9
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

I haven't heard of any shark sightings at CC--ever.

Has anyone ever heard of a shark sighting there??

The water there is quite clear and essentially wave free--I would think a shark would be fairly easy to spot.

Now when I was at Bondi Beach in Australia--sharks were very much on everyones mind.
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:06 PM   #10
Zandy595
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDisneyFreaks View Post
Safe from what? Sharks? Contrary to beliefs, sharks don't have any interest in eating people, or children. Kids snorkeling do not look like seals, so aren't at risk of being bitten. Jaws was fiction.
There are news reports of people being bitten by sharks here quite often. I would say about every month or two there's a story about a shark attack/bite.

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic 2004, 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014 DCL Fantasy 2015
Old 06-29-2014, 01:08 PM   #11
Zandy595
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleromulus View Post
I haven't heard of any shark sightings at CC--ever.

Has anyone ever heard of a shark sighting there??

The water there is quite clear and essentially wave free--I would think a shark would be fairly easy to spot.

Now when I was at Bondi Beach in Australia--sharks were very much on everyones mind.
Yes.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2371788

Old 06-29-2014, 01:10 PM   #12
ColoradoDisneyFreaks
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by taswira View Post
While "Jaws" type attacks of "getting eaten" are fictional, being bitten by smaller sharks in shallow water is not. I live a few miles from what is called "The Shark Bite Capital of the World," where such bites are common. Check out this WFTV video and article. And scroll down this page on the National Geographic site, where it notes: "New Smyrna Beach in Florida is the shark attack capital of the world according to ISAF. It is estimated that anyone who has swam there has been within 10ft of a shark."

Still, the odds of being bitten at CC are minimal to none, and I imagine could only happen at SB if at all. Don't bother them and they shouldn't bother you.
And for perspective, there were 4 total shark bites off of New Smyrna Beach in all of 2013, and the area is one popular with surfers. Sharks will bit swimmers in shallow water more when the water is murky, and there are bait fish present. The water at CC isn't murky, even in the middle of the afternoon when there are lots of people in the water, and there aren't large schools of bait fish, combine that with the sea wall, and you won't get any sharks.

For snorkelers, only 8% of shark bites occur on snorkelers, and those involved are usually on spear fishers, where they have fish tethered to them.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:42 PM   #13
taswira
"Let It Go" - but carefully guard your secrets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDisneyFreaks View Post
And for perspective, there were 4 total shark bites off of New Smyrna Beach in all of 2013, >>
Not exactly. I know of two last year that were officially unreported but quite minor. It really doesn't matter. Was only stating that sharks do (on rare occasions) bite, and in shallow water, and you do not necessarily have to look like a seal for it to happen. It has happened at New Smyrna with people just wading into the water (not surfing and not in a wetsuit), and I have seen small sharks frequently from the jetty at Ponce Inlet (The water was not too murky to spot them).

But again, NOT likely to happen at CC, but I'm one who believes in "Never say never!" Given the odds, nothing to worry about there I'm sure.
taswira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:16 PM   #14
CM Dad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2wyattnaaron View Post
Ha Ha. I want to know how sharks can get into a pond. I am totally against a shark net. But, you better believe that Disney has done everything to avoid a lawsuit and keep everyone safe.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...pond/11449365/
CM Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:30 PM   #15
Zandy595
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Dad View Post
Did you watch the video? No shark to be seen, just a guy saying he caught one with his amazing twirl technique.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: