Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2014, 12:10 PM   #46
AThrillingChase
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney meema View Post
We were booked at WL fort a 10 day stay in Nov. I wanted to stay at a new resort since we normally stay at the grand floridian. But I jump ship to floridian once the construction was certain to be an eyesore. Then my husband and I thought we wanted a new resort experience like we originally had planned at WL ... So we just switched to Animal kingdom lodge club level for 10 days and then to grand floridian CL for 4 days. Yep the trip blew up since the pool construction. But I thought I'd mention Animal kingdom lodge as a possible option?
I believe WL and AKL had the same architect so both have the same grand feel to the lobby. And to make you feel better, I LOVED AKL CL. I have stayed at nearly all of the resorts (except GF and CR) and it may be my favorite!
2012 - Tokyo Disney Sea
May 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
November 2013 - first solo trip for Wine and Dine! Decided to explore new resorts: CB, YC, POLY
January 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge CL. Happy Birthday to me!
March/April 2014 - Coronado Springs/Wilderness Lodge
October 2014 - Beach Club for TOT 10-Miler! AKL/CR for Princess Half Marathon!
AThrillingChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:42 PM   #47
juliehoey
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow...OMDD WINNER!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggiesMomNJ View Post
Eeck! This is what I have been waiting for...news on specifics. That sounds awful. Were there still tables outside by the fork? Could you walk at all in back or was it a mess? I ask bec hubby is blind and that is my biggest fear is him trying to walk around with stuff everywhere. Also, was there dust blowing around? Thanks! Sorry for all the questions
This outside construction from what has been reported is the stream. Once that's complete one would hope the courtyard goes back to 'normal' until pool construction begins.

juliehoey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-29-2014, 12:47 PM   #48
Scarlett81
Mommy to my princess and lil pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle1971 View Post
I'm quite disappointed in the mess I will see when I arrive. On the plus side the pool will be up & running during our stay so that's a bonus! I thought the interior lobby will be completed sometime in July. Is this not true? The CM @ WL doesn't know, I'm not willing to spend another $1000 to go to AKL or Saratoga Springs! I've spent enough for our 10 day trip, I could down grade to Moderate but will save $400 - not worth it! I guess I might suck it up & stay! Can someone convince me to stay, I only have 1 week to make any changes! It's coming up too quick and I'm so torn! It's our first Deluxe stay & want it to be memorable!
Well for starters the lobby is not a mess. The river is not operating and you can't walk on the bridge but there is no scaffolding, walls or tarps in the lobby. They have rows of pine trees in the lobby surrounding the bridge area (you can see pics of this on the WL thread), and though its not the river, those trees smell amazing. I don't know when the lobby will be done but I wouldn't rely on an Cm to tell you.
If you go knowing part of the courtyard will be shut off and there are some tarps, etc as mentioned, can you put that aside and not let it distract you from the rest of the scenery? Only you know that!
With my personality, and its just me, but we got such a good deal on WL and I knew ahead of time to expect some construction that I was just fine with it. Plus I know we will be back to Dis again next year..Now if I saved for ages and spent a small fortune on a pricey room, and wasn't aware ahead of time- I'd be pretty ticked.
You know you, and if you think it will take away from your magic, then stay elsewhere. I also ditto AKL for similar grandeur and ambience. Or FW cabins

CF Make a Wish Trip O/S-87' Fort Wilderness Campground-99' O/S-03' O/S-04' O/S-08' O/S-09' Beach Club-10' Grand Floridian-11' FW Cabins-11'
Sister's/Girl's Trip AKL 12' Princess Half Marathon Finisher!!! (Split stay Dolphin and BC) 13' Beach Club weekend coming up! 13' Princess Half Marathon Finisher 2014' (Split stay Swan and AKL)
WL for end of school year celebration..June 14'
Scarlett81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:09 PM   #49
MaggiesMomNJ
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliehoey View Post
This outside construction from what has been reported is the stream. Once that's complete one would hope the courtyard goes back to 'normal' until pool construction begins.
Well we were supposed to be there in Nov so unless they finish early it will affect us
Old 06-29-2014, 01:11 PM   #50
MaggiesMomNJ
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggiesMomNJ View Post
Well we were supposed to be there in Nov so unless they finish early it will affect us
As you can see I changed my ticker....not happy about it...hoping to hear more but we have to pay in full by the third week in Sept...so not sure about last minute changes unless we cancel completely.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:42 PM   #51
mslhb
Mouseketeer

I LOVE the WL but in your case I would jump ship. That is a big savings. Rent a car. Driving yourself is so quick and easy. Our trip in early June was our 1st time renting a car and we are now rental car converts!
Old 06-29-2014, 02:23 PM   #52
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle1971 View Post
I'm quite disappointed in the mess I will see when I arrive. On the plus side the pool will be up & running during our stay so that's a bonus! I thought the interior lobby will be completed sometime in July. Is this not true? The CM @ WL doesn't know, I'm not willing to spend another $1000 to go to AKL or Saratoga Springs! I've spent enough for our 10 day trip, I could down grade to Moderate but will save $400 - not worth it! I guess I might suck it up & stay! Can someone convince me to stay, I only have 1 week to make any changes! It's coming up too quick and I'm so torn! It's our first Deluxe stay & want it to be memorable!
I could never stay at a resort that has the whole pool area shut down and invaded in scrims and walls... Might just as well stayed home and sit in my yard....

The pool, pool area are a huge part of our vacation... When we're not at a park ( we never stay in a park all day ) we are in or at the pool area ( only in the room to sleep )...I don't have a pool at home, never visit a pool at home either...one reason we go to WDW, is the pool, pool picnics and lounging and having a few ...

Every resort on property has at least one pool, themed to the nines.... Why? It's what guests want... Close my pool, I'm leaving, even if you gave me super discount and free stuff, I'm moving....

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:13 PM   #53
utlegaleagle
On a Pilgrimage to See a Mouse

So, we are in a similar situation, and I've about had it with unresponsiveness by Disney.

We were originally scheduled for POR, staying Sept. 28 - Oct. 10. Then FD came out, and my wife went to our TA and changed to WL. Then all of the rumors started on the WL thread over here on DIS. Calls to WL and Guest Relations yielded nothing but denials. But that was not the truth. So, as more info starts to be leaked, I e-mailed Guest Relations. That was on 6/14. Never received a response. On 6/25, I e-mailed again. Still no response. Called today. Was basically told that I was out of luck.

If we had a PIN for POR, we would be switching back. Alas, unlike OP, I have never been that fortunate on the PIN front...

I'm not one to complain about customer service. I recognize when I get excellent service (such as with USAA, for example), and I previously had received good customer service from Disney. Not this time. It's been dreadful. I am about ready to take my money elsewhere. Although my youngest son probably needs a couple more years to be really ready, we are about to go spend some time exploring Diagon Alley.

Thanks for allowing me to vent. Just shocked at Disney. Oh, did I mention that this was a celebration of our 12th anniversary? Probably why I am not happy with Disney's efforts, I suppose.

DH 38 DW 37 DS 6 DS 4
utlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:35 PM   #54
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by utlegaleagle View Post
So, we are in a similar situation, and I've about had it with unresponsiveness by Disney.

We were originally scheduled for POR, staying Sept. 28 - Oct. 10. Then FD came out, and my wife went to our TA and changed to WL. Then all of the rumors started on the WL thread over here on DIS. Calls to WL and Guest Relations yielded nothing but denials. But that was not the truth. So, as more info starts to be leaked, I e-mailed Guest Relations. That was on 6/14. Never received a response. On 6/25, I e-mailed again. Still no response. Called today. Was basically told that I was out of luck.

If we had a PIN for POR, we would be switching back. Alas, unlike OP, I have never been that fortunate on the PIN front...

I'm not one to complain about customer service. I recognize when I get excellent service (such as with USAA, for example), and I previously had received good customer service from Disney. Not this time. It's been dreadful. I am about ready to take my money elsewhere. Although my youngest son probably needs a couple more years to be really ready, we are about to go spend some time exploring Diagon Alley.

Thanks for allowing me to vent. Just shocked at Disney. Oh, did I mention that this was a celebration of our 12th anniversary? Probably why I am not happy with Disney's efforts, I suppose.
Just as an FYI if you used a TA to book your trip you no longer have control over it. Anything to do with your trip has to go through your TA.

I'm sorry your anniversary trip will not be what you had hoped.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:14 PM   #55
utlegaleagle
On a Pilgrimage to See a Mouse

Oh yes, very aware of that. Just looking for information from Disney. Although I will certainly be going through my TA tomorrow...

DH 38 DW 37 DS 6 DS 4
utlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:59 PM   #56
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by utlegaleagle View Post
Oh yes, very aware of that. Just looking for information from Disney. Although I will certainly be going through my TA tomorrow...
"WL" couldn't give you any information because you were actually talking to a Call Center. Guest Services may have been able to tell you by 6/25 because Cast Members got the official notification 6/19. But because you're using a Travel Agent, (a) Disney can't discuss any aspect of your reservation with you, and (b) your Travel Agent should have been on top of all this.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:49 PM   #57
Derb
Earning My Ears

This sounds like me!

Sigh. Oh yes, I too had booked WL, learned on this site of the pool closing, and tried to change resorts thru Disney. But used AAA, so they could not help me. So I got AAA to change me to AK, with a small savings. Was happy to be out of WL, but didn't REALLY want AK. So I called Disney again and found out I had a PIN for FD. Then got AAA to change me to POFQ. At a huge savings. Thrilled now! So I would definitely change to POR if I were you, I did basically the same thing. And I guess AAA should have known about the pool closings, lucky for me I found DIS! POFQ was actually the resort I wanted on my next Disney trip, before I knew FD was available. SO happy I called and was told about the PIN! And we're renting a car too, so I am not worried about that aspect...but what is everyone saying about no parking at MK? What?

Derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:27 PM   #58
calngavinsmom
DIS Veteran

Totally would go for POR!!! It is such a beautiful resort, great pool, amenities,entertainment food court and if you are worried about your ADRS, check out changing some to DTD restaurants. Raglan Road, TRex, Rainforest Cafe, and more are all just a lovely boat ride away!

My whole family was bummed this resort was left out of free dining, we would have loved to have stayed there again this year

Good luck with your decision!

calngavinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:40 AM   #59
juliehoey
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow...OMDD WINNER!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Just as an FYI if you used a TA to book your trip you no longer have control over it. Anything to do with your trip has to go through your TA.

I'm sorry your anniversary trip will not be what you had hoped.
Our check in date is 8/28. I sent an email inquiry and received a phone call back regarding my questions about the pool. They called multiple times and finally left a message. Good luck!

juliehoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:29 AM   #60
Dumbo Mad
DIS Veteran

We are also in a similar situation. We have two rooms & free dining booked for 10 Sept to 25th booked through Disney UK. I found out about the pool closure here on the forum and contacted them to find out what we could do. They knew nothing about the closure. I've sent two emails to Guest Services in the US and I've still not received a reply after 12 days.

After speaking to Disney UK again last night, there is nothing they can do until the pool closure has been confirmed with them from the US. The only thing we can do is move to another resort, where the options are very limited and we have to pay extra, which at the moment is looking like another £1000 per room on top of what we have already paid.

I am really disappointed with the communication from Disney. I understand refurbs have to be done, but at least we should have been told earlier.

The holiday is supposed to be celebrating my 40th birthday, our wedding anniversary and my husband and myself losing 10 stone between us. At the moment I really don't know what to do...

Dumbo Mad is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: