Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2014, 01:05 PM   #16
HopperFan
"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess. One of those "circle of life" kind of things."

Have stayed at both and love them both ...

Based on the description above of the construction, probably to get worse, that will immensely take away from the feel of the resort. Yes the lobby is stunning but the courtyard and pool area is what makes the package complete. We would even sit on some of the open areas above the lobby to watch out to the courtyard.

Price difference - HUGE - and would go a long way towards the next trip when the WL is not a construction zone. I would put that money in a Mickey Money account and start getting ready for next trip.

POR Royal Guest Room - we LOVED it! Spent 10 days in one. The decor is new, fresh, fun and full of tiny details. Loved the fireworks above the bed, the kids will too. Location is great to main hub and we walked over the bridge to catch the bus at the South Depot each time. It is the first stop, we always got seats and the ride is not that far to the MK. AND the rides to the other parks is faster than from the WL. We vary from driving to riding to parks, depends on time of day and if we think we will be parking way out or close in to entrance.

Don't be fooled by the boat situation. You have to wait for boats, hope there is room on the boat for you if the smaller boat comes or has stopped at FW first, wait for them to tie up the boat (you don't tie buses), load, cruise, tie up boat .....honestly the boat is a lovely enjoyable ride but not necessarily faster depending on other factors. POR has a boat to DTD so if you want a nice boat ride, it's a great option.

ADRs - I don't care where you are staying, unless it is walking distance, if you have a car you drive. No way I want to build 1-1.5 hours each way of travel time to a restaurant that is 10 minutes away. POR is minutes to any of the Bay Lake restaurants, we have done it often. If GF asks you to park across the street, ask to drop your family then you park the car. Or make the reservations to coincide with MK days.

All resorts have activities and you can as you know join. FW, drive the 3 minutes to the FW entrance, hop on a bus and head on in to enjoy. Easy. At POR you can rent surreys to pedal around, kids will love that. Lots of activies everywhere.

LOVE both resorts but no way I am paying that much money to deal with a construction zone and taking away one of the big pluses of the resort. I would wait to stay another time. I'd be heading on down the road to Port Orleans as a Royal Guest on a peaceful river.
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 for "COMPLIMENTARY" Dining

Making Magical Visits since 1971 ~ now visiting 5-6 weeks per year ON PROPERTY STAYS & Our Star Rating:
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2x ~ Wilderness Lodge
Coronado Springs 8x (1xBusClass) ~ PO Riverside 5x (1xRoyal) ~ Bonnett Creek ~ PO French Quarter
POP Century 15x ~ Hilton DTD 2x ~ Doubletree Suites DTD 3x ~ B Resort
All Star Movie ~ Wilderness Cabins ~ All Star Sports 3x
Caribbean Beach 2x (1xPirate) ~ All Star Music 2x
Lots of offsite, but somehow it never seems right, 'though Rosen Shingle Creek was luxury I could get used to !
HopperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 01:10 PM   #17
GigiDisneyfreak
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecavalier View Post
Me(44) DW(32) DS(8) DD(2.5) are traveling to WDW for our families first trip from 9/20-9/29. We were so excited about the WL and had a great price with dining plan (just over $4,000). As most know, the pool is scheduled to be refurbed 9/3-11/27. We received the ever-so-timely letter just days ago that catapulted us from simply securing a few more ADRs to complete logistical chaos, so I have come to the great and powerful DISboards for guidance.

My priorities:

1) Although we are there for the parks, we will be taking those much needed afternoon breaks for nap/pool time, so close proximity to a nice pool is important.

2) We chose the WL for it's great price and to be located near the MK, CR and POLY for our secured ADRs. Easy travel to these locations are also a priority.

3) Having two children ages 8 and 2.5, extra resort activities would be a plus.

So, after spending 3 hours on the phone time with some very helpful CMs, here is the info I have and the decisions I have to make:

1) The resort is doubling the amount of ferry boats (will have 6 total) and will have dedicated service to the CR and FW pools. They tell me that the ferry ride is 5mins to the CR, which would be some inconvenience, but doesn't seem all that terrible.

2) We received a PIN to POR Royal Guest for free dining, this would bring our total resort/dining package down to $2900 (significant savings).

I am about to jump ship from the WL to POR because of the ridiculous savings and resort pool. NOT looking forward to bus transportation to MK (3 days) and resort dining. I also wanted to experience FW and the campfire activities, Hoop-Dee-Do, etc. for te kids. I was so excited about all those convenient ferry rides!

So, this DD (Distraught Dad) is seeking advice for those that may have been in this situation or would like to chime in. TYSMIA!
I think either resort will work. You will be inconvenienced at either resort because it is not going to match your original plans. WL is a resort I very much want to stay at but I would be disappointed if it was under refurbishment. I have stayed at POR a few times and I do love it but transportation wise it can be inconvenient if you don't have your own car. I am assuming you have the free dining plan for WL and not the room discount. If you decide to switch to another hotel make sure they still have rooms available for free dining before you cancel your original reservation. I know you have a pin for free dining at POR but that doesn't necessarily mean they still have rooms available. Good luck!

Me, DD(21), DD(15), DGD(2)

Feb. 1987, 1988, and 1990 offsite; July 1992 offsite; Aug 1994 offsite; Oct 1996 Poly and POR(bayou); Sept. 1997 ASMu; Nov. 1998 CBR; May 2002 AKL; Dec. 2004 & 2005 POR(mansions), Mar. 2009 CSR, Mar. 2013 YC,
GigiDisneyfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-28-2014, 01:53 PM   #18
Speedemon21
Mouseketeer

Location: Rhode Island (the 13th state and NOT a part of New York) or 1261 miles from WDW

Quote:
2) We received a PIN to POR Royal Guest for free dining, this would bring our total resort/dining package down to $2900 (significant savings).

I am about to jump ship from the WL to POR because of the ridiculous savings and resort pool. NOT looking forward to bus transportation to MK (3 days) and resort dining. I also wanted to experience FW and the campfire activities, Hoop-Dee-Do, etc. for te kids. I was so excited about all those convenient ferry rides!

So, this DD (Distraught Dad) is seeking advice for those that may have been in this situation or would like to chime in. TYSMIA!

We are booked at WL with free dining as well, but mid-November. I was going to change to POR, but when I was on the phone with reservations, I was told that POR was not a free dining resort (which I knew, but I was hoping). Does having the PIN code override that?

Disneyland-1991
My First Trip to WDW-Offsite-1994
Port Orleans Riverside-July 2004 (just me and DH)
Pop Century-September 2006
Port Orleans Riverside-August 2008
Caribbean Beach-July/August 2010
Boardwalk Inn-November 2014

Speedemon21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:02 PM   #19
stlrod
DIS Veteran

I'd jump ship but I'm extremely biased. I too am upset by the situation and am moving offsite. I'd personally like to see Disney learn a lesson from their late notice on this issue. I know that there isn't much chance of that happening though. And before I get fanned, remember Disney Villains are people too.
stlrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:03 PM   #20
joecavalier
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedemon21 View Post
We are booked at WL with free dining as well, but mid-November. I was going to change to POR, but when I was on the phone with reservations, I was told that POR was not a free dining resort (which I knew, but I was hoping). Does having the PIN code override that?
It will override the if the PIN is for free dining at a moderate.
joecavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:19 PM   #21
ElizabethB
I have a raw meat fetish. Who knew!!??

I would change to POR for the savings and just plan to take taxis. I can't stand the resort buses but we find the metered checkered cabs are fairly easy for getting around.

Or you could rent a car.
ElizabethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:36 PM   #22
Disneytam
disneytam

Just as a note about the extra boats. When we were at Disney in Feb. it was a time when the monorail was closed down during the day. It stopped running at 11:30 am and started running again at 7:00pm. We were told there would be extra boats on hand at this time since we had an ADR at Artist Point (in the Wilderness Lodge) for 6:00. We figured we would walk around the Lodge a little before dinner so we left the MK well over an hour before our dinner ADR time and waited for an hour and a half for a boat. Needless to say we were really late but the restaurant was great and got us right in. They said that they were expecting a lot of delays because and I quote" what Disney says they are going to do with the boat runs and what they actually due are two different things". Just something to keep in mind when they tell you they will be adding 6 boats.
Disneytam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:48 PM   #23
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Me(44) DW(32) DS(8) DD(2.5) are traveling to WDW for our families first trip from 9/20-9/29. We were so excited about the WL and had a great price with dining plan (just over $4,000). As most know, the pool is scheduled to be refurbed 9/3-11/27. We received the ever-so-timely letter just days ago that catapulted us from simply securing a few more ADRs to complete logistical chaos, so I have come to the great and powerful DISboards for guidance.

My priorities:

1) Although we are there for the parks, we will be taking those much needed afternoon breaks for nap/pool time, so close proximity to a nice pool is important.

2) We chose the WL for it's great price and to be located near the MK, CR and POLY for our secured ADRs. Easy travel to these locations are also a priority.

3) Having two children ages 8 and 2.5, extra resort activities would be a plus.

So, after spending 3 hours on the phone time with some very helpful CMs, here is the info I have and the decisions I have to make:

1) The resort is doubling the amount of ferry boats (will have 6 total) and will have dedicated service to the CR and FW pools. They tell me that the ferry ride is 5mins to the CR, which would be some inconvenience, but doesn't seem all that terrible.

I would JUMP on the POR with Free Dining, not even a question. We LOVE POR, the main pool is awesome, and the quiet pools are great for exactly that, a quieter swim. And it sounds like the swimming will be something important for you. You also have access to DTD ... if that's a thing for you, it is for us, we like to shop and eat down there.

The busses have always been great for us at POR, most often within 20 mins of leaving the room we were in the park of choice ... including the walk, wait, and ride.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:15 PM   #24
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedemon21 View Post
Yes. The pin includes a few resorts and dates that are not available to the public.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:04 PM   #25
GWhitten98
Whitten Family

If you are planning on having a car, I would most definately jump ship and save a considerable amount of money. We stayed at POR last years and it was really nice and had a very calming feel to me.

Past trips:
Dec 2013 @ POR

Upcoming trip
Nov 15-23rd @ CRB with both our "Moms"
GWhitten98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:24 PM   #26
firstwdw
DIS Veteran

I forgot to add, the pool slide at POR is awesome!!! Longer than the one at WL, if pool slide is important.
firstwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:55 PM   #27
averysmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoWeGo View Post
You seem to have a lot of ADRs in the MK/Bay Lake area, 3 or more? I think for that reason you should consider sticking with WL. While it isn't a 5 minute trip from WL to the other MK restaurants (50 seems a good number for planning), you'd probably need to plan for 1 1/2 hours (waiting for multiple busses, transportation time, etc.) for certainty if staying at POR. The pool inconvenience is a shame, but I think the ADR inconvenience staying at POR might be even worse. If money isn't your primary concern, I'd stay with WL; if money is a factor, then POR sounds like a nice alternative.
I'd go to PO, and rent a car if you're concerned about ADRs. Even if you only use it the 3x, the 2900 dollar savings will more than make up for it!

But I'm cheap! Lol!

averysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:56 PM   #28
averysmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2alix View Post
For that price difference, I would do POR. You can always do WL another trip when the pool is completed and you can really enjoy it. We're big WL fans, but we've also done POFQ and my kids actually liked it better. We had no problem with the busses. With all the money you'd save, you could easily afford to take a taxi if you're in a rush some days. It's usually about $20. We've done that at times for those early morning ADRs just to save time.
Even better-save the hassle of the car and take the taxi!!

averysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:27 PM   #29
gogo
DIS Veteran

Since the pool is important to you, I would change to PO. There is so much walking and waiting in lines at Disney that going to another resort to use the pool would negatively impact my vacation. When planning a Disney trip its easy to get caught up in the excitement but in actuality after dealing with lines, crowds, heat, over-tired kids and other stressors it could easily become miserable. You can always plan another trip and stay at WL sometime in the future if that's possible.

I don't know if you've ever visited PO but it is a charming resort. And, probably something your kids would enjoy exploring.

Also, I would seriously consider using taxis to some of your adr's if you change to PO. This will free up a lot of time and with small children so important. Since you are not going until September, put extra money away specifically for using the taxis. I don't like spending extra money on things that are essentially provided by Disney (in this instance, transportation) but it will eliminate a lot of stress by not having to rush or leave an hour plus for an adr. There are ample taxis waiting at each resort. Money well spent, IMO.
gogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:13 PM   #30
DonnaDuck333
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett81 View Post
The whole outdoor courtyard is filled with tarped scaffolding right now. There is a bit of noise outside and it was early (large equoment backing up, machines banging that kind of thing, but it didn't go on all day). The river and waterfall is dry, and tarped off so you cant see anything. There are large wooden walls blocking the area around the rock/cave tunnel, down by roaring forks. There is no river in the lobby, and the bridge in the lobby is shut down.
The interior to me is fine, no big deal. But the work outside takes away from the WL feel for sure. Like I said, it didn't impact my stay bc I expected it and got a good deal. If I paid premium $ and wasn't aware I'd have been a little ticked. Overall we had a very nice stay though. Just an fyi!
This is no good for us, this was suppose to be a resort stay for us mostly. A relaxing, beautiful view vacation... It is why I chose this particular lodge for the feel of it, and tarps and dry rivers and waterfall take away from what I was going for. I just got done with construction on house and had to deal with 6 months of this. We are getting away to recoup from a rather huge inconvenience and stress of the construction noise and mess... Does everyone think perhaps it will get worse before better here with tarps and scaffolding, because this may be a deal breaker.... we are going first week in August.. May have to switch if it is looking all construction site, had enough of that and honestly need a break with just peaceful views...
DonnaDuck333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: