Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2014, 06:13 PM   #16
Coonhound
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 573

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondietink View Post
My son uses a wheelchair and it is people like you who take up the handicapped stall that really get me mad at times. when I get to the front of the line with the wheelchair, and let endless people go ahead of me because I am waiting for the handicapped stall ..... a wheelchair does not fit in a regular stall ..... and loudly say I am waiting for the handicapped stall, and nobody moves out of the handicapped stall for 10 minutes or more, I get really frustrated. I get even more angry when the family finally comes out of the handicapped stall and sees my son and I waiting and doesn't even say that they are sorry for taking so long. So please be considerate of how much time you are taking with your children in the handicapped stall and if you see wheels outside of the door or hear somebody talking about the need to use the handicapped stall, please put on a little speed. There are times when we were desperate and I had to park the wheelchair outside of a regular stall, lift my son out of his wheelchair (he weighs 109 lbs.) and carry him into the regular stall because somebody had all their kids in a handicapped stall and we could not wait any longer.
You should not judge because you have no idea what the needs are of the people in the stall. Sometimes perfectly able looking people actually have handicaps you cannot see, and other times it's a non-disabled adult who must go in the big stall because they need to stay with their child who has special needs.
Coonhound is offline  
Old 06-27-2014, 06:36 PM   #17
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,923
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdw4rfam View Post
Anotherhere. I always used it with my 2 kids because all 3of us wouldn't fit in a typical stall and I didn't want to leave one out by themselves. I just let people go ahead of me when I got to the front of the line until it opened. Another thought is the family bathrooms outside, they have the bars too I believe.
To add to what other posters wrote;
When people hear/read 'family bathrooms' they generally are thinking of restrooms set up for families to use, with changing tables and possibly even small, child size toilets.

That is not what Disney parks have; they have Companion Restrooms, which are set up to meet the guidelines for ADA handicapped accessible bathrooms.
Many of them do not have a changing table. None of them have lower toilets. All of them have raised seat toilets with grab bars.

There are only a few in each park (5-6) and they are the only toilets in the park that some people are able to use.
We generally use them as much as possible because my DD is in a wheelchair, her wheelchair does not fit in some of the handicapped stalls, we need a sink in the stall with us and she has sensory issues that can make being in a busy bathroom difficult.

Most people are nice, but in the past few years, we have sometimes been treated very rudely by entitled families - for example, as we waited in line for the Companion Restroom, I have been told, 'this is for families. You people have stalls in all the restrooms. Go use one of those.'
We have had people bang on the door (not just knock), and someone once called Security to tell us to get out because they needed the changing table. I had told the people the first time they knocked that I was in there with a disabled person and would be about 15 minutes. After talking to me through the door, the Security CM asked if they knew I was in there with a disabled person; they said they did, but felt I was 'taking too long' and they needed to use that restroom to use the changing table. The CM explained there are changing tables in every restroom, but the people said they needed that one. What was really funny was that Companion Restroom did not have a changing table.

So, if it's busy, with lots of families, we sometimes use only the Companion Restroom in First Aid because we know no one is going to bother us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by POOHsie View Post
Everyone pretty much spelled out HA stall etiquette as I have also experienced it. When you enter a theme park, you can get a Park Brochure for the Disabled. It shows which restrooms also have a separate family restroom. The family restroom may help you, with your child, to have space and privacy. I think I remember last time at MK, I had to go to City Hall (inside entrance, to the left) to get the "Disabled" brochure.
The guide maps for guests with disabilities are available from Guest Relations, but also can be found in the park map kiosks with all the other maps. They are labeled for guests with disabilities and have a black band across the top of the map.
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-27-2014, 07:22 PM   #18
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran
 
aaarcher86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 8,043

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellykins1218 View Post
Wow, really? My kids are autistic and can't be left alone. We all go in the handicapped stall together. You probably would see us & include us in that "you people." Why should anyone have to apologize to you for using the restroom?
Totally agree. It's wheelchair ACCESSIBLE, not wheelchair ONLY.

Let's all work on telling small children to hustle it up when they're trying to potty, shall we?! @_@
__________________
aaarcher86 is offline  
Old 06-27-2014, 07:45 PM   #19
LuvGoofy6
"This bond between us can't be broken. I will be here, don't you cry." ~ Kala
 
LuvGoofy6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 200

Back to the OP's question, my mom had paralysis and was in a wheelchair full time. She would wait in line like everyone else did. Many times people could tell that her wheelchair was a permanent fixture and almost always offered her the handicap accessible stall. I think the reason for that is because if 20 people are waiting and there are 9 stalls and one handicap accessible then the line moves pretty quickly for the average person. It doesn't for her because out of the 10 stalls only one will work for her so she sometimes waited longer. But, she did wait in line.
__________________
__________________
(WDW and Universal Studios): 1999 Shades of Green, 2001 Shades of Green, 2005 All Star Movies, 2010 Swan, 2011 Yacht Club/Hard Rock Hotel

(Disneyland): 2013 Sheraton Park
LuvGoofy6 is offline  
Old 06-27-2014, 08:22 PM   #20
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,923
DISboards Moderator

Handicapped stalls and Companion Restrooms were designed and first put into place to meet the needs of people with disabilities.
Curb cuts and ramps to avoid stairs were also designed and built for the same reasons.

All of those things are also useful/helpful to many people without disabilities - and especially for people traveling with strollers.
Most people would agree that it would be silly to 'reserve' curb cuts and ramps for use only by people with wheelchairs, ECVs and other visible mobility needs.

IMHO, the attitude about Handicapped stalls and Companion Restrooms should be the same.
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline  
Old 06-27-2014, 08:27 PM   #21
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 8,586

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondietink View Post
My son uses a wheelchair and it is people like you who take up the handicapped stall that really get me mad at times. when I get to the front of the line with the wheelchair, and let endless people go ahead of me because I am waiting for the handicapped stall ..... a wheelchair does not fit in a regular stall ..... and loudly say I am waiting for the handicapped stall, and nobody moves out of the handicapped stall for 10 minutes or more, I get really frustrated. I get even more angry when the family finally comes out of the handicapped stall and sees my son and I waiting and doesn't even say that they are sorry for taking so long. So please be considerate of how much time you are taking with your children in the handicapped stall and if you see wheels outside of the door or hear somebody talking about the need to use the handicapped stall, please put on a little speed. There are times when we were desperate and I had to park the wheelchair outside of a regular stall, lift my son out of his wheelchair (he weighs 109 lbs.) and carry him into the regular stall because somebody had all their kids in a handicapped stall and we could not wait any longer.
I have read many threads on this topic, both on the DIS boards and other places and was wondering when this opinion would surface.

Poster, you are wrong. The handicapped stall is for anyone to use. Some people take longer than others; sometimes you just have to wait. I hope you are not a woman taking a 109 pound male in the ladies room. That is what companion restrooms are for.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline  
Old 06-27-2014, 08:30 PM   #22
RoyalPrincess
Loving the Mouse!
 
RoyalPrincess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Let's just say I'm wayyy too far away from the Happiest Place on Earth!
Posts: 32

I absolutely agree! The ADA requires equal accommodations, not better. The handicapped stall is not reserved for those only in wheelchairs.


Everyone needs to wait in line for their fair turn.
RoyalPrincess is offline  
Old 06-27-2014, 10:17 PM   #23
Betty Rohrer
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,323

my daughter learned the hard way about higher handicapped toilets with young boy. he was used to normal sized toilet but the handicapped was too tall for him to stand and reach. something for mothers using for group of kids to remember. she had him take first stall that opened, she did not look at it before sending him in. he was 3 at the time and had to do it by himself. he was upset and wet self as he tried to reach the height of handicapped toilet. even now as an almost 13 year old, he hates to use handicapped stall.
Betty Rohrer is offline  
Old 06-27-2014, 10:30 PM   #24
HopperFan
"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess. One of those "circle of life" kind of things."
 
HopperFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: 8 Hours north of the Mouse & the Magic !
Posts: 5,422

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
Handicapped stalls and Companion Restrooms were designed and first put into place to meet the needs of people with disabilities.
Curb cuts and ramps to avoid stairs were also designed and built for the same reasons.

All of those things are also useful/helpful to many people without disabilities - and especially for people traveling with strollers.
Most people would agree that it would be silly to 'reserve' curb cuts and ramps for use only by people with wheelchairs, ECVs and other visible mobility needs.

IMHO, the attitude about Handicapped stalls and Companion Restrooms should be the same.
This one I tend to disagree. I travel most trips alone with my 30 year old DS. I can not take him into a ladies room and he can not go into a men's room alone. My ONLY option is the companion bathrooms. There are not many of them so when he says he has to go, we are hoofing it to the nearest one. Often times we are waiting for a single person (who probably could have used the handicapped stall) or a Mom with a couple kids. You can usually tell who didn't need it because they become quite embarrassed when they come out and see my son waiting. My point is that we have no options but those handful of the companion bathrooms (they are not family bathrooms, the sign is obvious) through the parks where as every bathroom has handicapped stalls.
__________________
"There is no right way or wrong way to do Disney, just what is right for you!"
Pirate Party 2008 Mickey's Xmas Party 2009 MNSSHP 2006 twice 2007, 2008, 2009 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 14!
Unleash the Villains! 2013 & 2014 Repeaters - Food & Wine Flower & Garden Star Wars Weekend
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 for "COMPLIMENTARY" Dining

Making Magical Visits since 1971 ~ now visiting 5-6 weeks per year ON PROPERTY STAYS & Our Star Rating:
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2x ~ Wilderness Lodge
Coronado Springs 8x (1xBusClass) ~ PO Riverside 5x (1xRoyal) ~ Bonnett Creek ~ PO French Quarter
POP Century 15x ~ Hilton DTD 2x ~ Doubletree Suites DTD 3x ~ B Resort
All Star Movie ~ Wilderness Cabins ~ All Star Sports 3x
Caribbean Beach 2x (1xPirate) ~ All Star Music 2x
Lots of offsite, but somehow it never seems right, 'though Rosen Shingle Creek was luxury I could get used to !
HopperFan is offline  
Old 06-27-2014, 10:47 PM   #25
Michigan
Mom of the Rolling Crew
 
Michigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Westland, MI in the summer Clermont, FL in the Winter
Posts: 2,095

I often see where people say they use the handicap stall at Disney for the grab bars. Did you know that each bathroom has one stall that is fully wheelchair accessible and one sometimes 2 stalls that are wider but not wide enough for wheelchair to get in and shut door that have grab bars all around the stall? Those stalls have the doors that are a little bigger then the regular stalls but smaller then the wheelchair stalls and are not marked as being different.
__________________
Snowbird living the dream 8 miles from Disney Oct-April
Michigan is offline  
Old 06-27-2014, 11:04 PM   #26
POOHsie
DIS Veteran
 
POOHsie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wheeling, WV
Posts: 5,038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
I often see where people say they use the handicap stall at Disney for the grab bars. Did you know that each bathroom has one stall that is fully wheelchair accessible and one sometimes 2 stalls that are wider but not wide enough for wheelchair to get in and shut door that have grab bars all around the stall? Those stalls have the doors that are a little bigger then the regular stalls but smaller then the wheelchair stalls and are not marked as being different.
The MK bathroom by City Hall is one I sometimes use. Maybe it's bc I only go to WDW once a year, and I admit I haven't inspected the place in great detail, but I haven't found a full size HA stall in there. The ones I have found are at the end of a row, about as wide as a regular stall, have rails on the side walls, and stick out about a foot more from back to front. But I can't get my ECV in there and close the door, so I end up going with the door open and my ECV sticking out. At least it's at the end of the row, not the beginning...
__________________
Bay Lake Tower | Port Orleans Riverside | Port Orleans French Quarter | Caribbean Beach | Coronado Springs | Cabins at Ft Wilderness | Pop Century | All Star Movies | WDW Dolphin | WDW Swan |
POOHsie is offline  
Old 06-28-2014, 12:52 AM   #27
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,923
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopperFan View Post
This one I tend to disagree. I travel most trips alone with my 30 year old DS. I can not take him into a ladies room and he can not go into a men's room alone. My ONLY option is the companion bathrooms. There are not many of them so when he says he has to go, we are hoofing it to the nearest one. Often times we are waiting for a single person (who probably could have used the handicapped stall) or a Mom with a couple kids. You can usually tell who didn't need it because they become quite embarrassed when they come out and see my son waiting. My point is that we have no options but those handful of the companion bathrooms (they are not family bathrooms, the sign is obvious) through the parks where as every bathroom has handicapped stalls.
Before I wrote the part you quoted, I wrote this
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
To add to what other posters wrote;
When people hear/read 'family bathrooms' they generally are thinking of restrooms set up for families to use, with changing tables and possibly even small, child size toilets.

That is not what Disney parks have; they have Companion Restrooms, which are set up to meet the guidelines for ADA handicapped accessible bathrooms.
Many of them do not have a changing table. None of them have lower toilets. All of them have raised seat toilets with grab bars.

There are only a few in each park (5-6) and they are the only toilets in the park that some people are able to use.
We generally use them as much as possible because my DD is in a wheelchair, her wheelchair does not fit in some of the handicapped stalls, we need a sink in the stall with us and she has sensory issues that can make being in a busy bathroom difficult.

Most people are nice, but in the past few years, we have sometimes been treated very rudely by entitled families - for example, as we waited in line for the Companion Restroom, I have been told, 'this is for families. You people have stalls in all the restrooms. Go use one of those.'
We have had people bang on the door (not just knock), and someone once called Security to tell us to get out
because they needed the changing table. I had told the people the first time they knocked that I was in there with a disabled person and would be about 15 minutes. After talking to me through the door, the Security CM asked if they knew I was in there with a disabled person; they said they did, but felt I was 'taking too long' and they needed to use that restroom to use the changing table. The CM explained there are changing tables in every restroom, but the people said they needed that one. What was really funny was that Companion Restroom did not have a changing table.

So, if it's busy, with lots of families, we sometimes use only the Companion Restroom in First Aid because we know no one is going to bother us.

The guide maps for guests with disabilities are available from Guest Relations, but also can be found in the park map kiosks with all the other maps. They are labeled for guests with disabilities and have a black band across the top of the map.
So, I definitely have some of the same issues as you.
I do have the possibility of taking DD into the handicapped stalk in the ladies room (but, it's not the best option). If DH is alone with DD, he is in the same position as you - he has to take DD into the Companion Restroom because he can't bring her into the men's room. We try to avoid him having to take her because he has had Security called on him at the mall - the lady who called was not sure what she was more upset about - that he was a man taking a young woman into the restroom or that he was someone using the 'family restroom' without a young child.

WDW used to only list the Companion Restrooms on the park maps for guests with disabilities, but.......
They recently started putting the icons for them on the regular park maps. That gives guests the impression that they are a Family Restrooms, even though they are not.
I wish people would be aware of what options they have and leave the Companion Restrooms for people with less options, but since they are on the maps now, I don't see that happening.
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline  
Old 06-28-2014, 01:19 AM   #28
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,923
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalPrincess View Post
I absolutely agree! The ADA requires equal accommodations, not better. The handicapped stall is not reserved for those only in wheelchairs.


Everyone needs to wait in line for their fair turn.
I would say that 'fair turn' sometimes does mean guests who do not need the handicapped stalls letting those who do need them to get ahead in line.

When someone who doesn't need the handicapped stall gets to the front of the line, there is a 100% chance that they will be able to use the next stall that is available. It doesn't matter to them whether it is the handicapped stall or another stall because they can use any of them.

When someone who needs the handicapped stall gets to the front of the line, it's unlikely they will be able to use the next stall that is available.
How much of a disadvantage they have compared to the other guest depends on how many stalls there are. In a large bathroom with 19 regular stalls and one handicapped stall, they might have 19 stalls open up before the only one they can use becomes available.
So, how fair is that?
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline  
Old 06-28-2014, 10:01 AM   #29
SteveMouse
DIS Veteran
 
SteveMouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 610

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
I would say that 'fair turn' sometimes does mean guests who do not need the handicapped stalls letting those who do need them to get ahead in line. When someone who doesn't need the handicapped stall gets to the front of the line, there is a 100% chance that they will be able to use the next stall that is available. It doesn't matter to them whether it is the handicapped stall or another stall because they can use any of them. When someone who needs the handicapped stall gets to the front of the line, it's unlikely they will be able to use the next stall that is available. How much of a disadvantage they have compared to the other guest depends on how many stalls there are. In a large bathroom with 19 regular stalls and one handicapped stall, they might have 19 stalls open up before the only one they can use becomes available. So, how fair is that?
Sue, you took the words out of my mouth .
SteveMouse is offline  
Old 06-28-2014, 11:54 AM   #30
opusone
Imagineer Wanna Be
 
opusone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 39

Common courtesy folks. It's unfortunate that we are discussing laws and definitions of companion/family/handicap-accessible/wide-but-not-wide-enough stalls/etc.

If there is a line in the bathroom, everyone should hurry themselves and/or their kids in the stall (regardless of type of stall) to reduce the wait for all others.

If several stalls are open, only use the handicap-accessible stall if you need it (disability, kids that need assistance, any other valid reason).

If there is a line and you are at the front (and not in a desperate way), and the handicap stall opens up, a simple "does anyone specifically need the handicap stall?" is a nice and appropriate gesture since it could be a while before it frees-up again.

On the flip side, give people the benefit of the doubt with their use of specific stalls/bathrooms... don't judge anyone and their needs/motivations/speed if you don't know them. Also, unless you were there when they entered, please realize that there may not have been a line when they arrived, so they may not know folks are waiting (especially in the separate family bathrooms where you cannot see/hear outside - I think everyone should always hurry through these for that very reason).
opusone is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: