Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2014, 05:08 PM   #16
ilovebassets
Animal Kingdom fanatic!

We have cruised on Disney with a 5 month old and Norwegian with an 11 month old. 5 months was A LOT easier for us that 11 months. I cannot recommend 11 months, even though at 5 months, we had a 2.5 year old to deal with as well and even though he wasn't sleeping through the night. Especially if you can have breastfeeding down by 5 months and don't start solids by that age, it's not too difficult, though of course, you must temper your expectations of the nightlife, movie theaters, etc. As far as dinner goes, my 5 month old nursed himself to sleep every night during dinner (under a nursing cover), and dinner was actually a piece of cake. Our (female) assistant server even cut my food for me one or two nights since I was always eating with one hand. I mean, they do it for the kids, why not me?

Take advantage of the nursery. A couple of hours every other day will do wonders for you. Also, switch off baby care duties so you can each do something solo every day that's a little more relaxing.

It's true that you can't know your baby's temperament so early, and your own personalities don't necessarily predict your baby's. Both my kids were colicky and would have been disastrous any early than 5 months, but 5 months was a magic age for both of them.
Jan 2016 - Southern Caribbean on the Wonder
ilovebassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:24 PM   #17
dektolia
Earning My Ears

I recently traveled on the Dream with a 3 yo and a 5 month old.
dektolia is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-25-2014, 05:35 PM   #18
dektolia
Earning My Ears

I recently cruised on the Dream with a 3 yo and a just-turned 5 month old.

My only regret was not reading about dressing the baby up as a parrot for pirate night until after we returned.

I spent a lot of time nursing on the veranda (under a cover) and enjoying the weather/view.

The dining room was loud for the baby, but we rarely go out to eat at home so none of us were used to it. I'm going to make some nursery reservations next time.

I used the space diapers took up on the way there to have space for souvenirs on the way home.

I was shocked when the server offered to cut my food for me (which I told him wasn't necessary and he did anyway).

It depends what you want to get out of the vacation. Family time and change of location, great. Shows, swimming, fine dining, and adult-only time - not so much... If it was a once in a lifetime trip I'd wait until they're older.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:42 PM   #19
dektolia
Earning My Ears

And another potential negative - seasickness. I didn't want to take anything while nursing.

I stocked up on ginger pops, ginger gum (most effective but not long lasting), prego pops and sea bands.

I went to bed early the first night and was feeling it quite a bit the last night also. Other than the first and last night I was fine.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: