Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2014, 07:09 AM   #1
bigferrell
Mouseketeer

Prohibited from taking pictures

Has anyone else been told not to take pictures on the "gangway" (After leaving the terminal and going past the mickey shaped funnel or while exiting the ship) or in the luggage pick up area?

I take a lot of pictures of our cruises. On several different cruises I received rude commands from a uniformed Port Security Officer (not sure if they were TSA or Port or Private security) that I was not permitted to take pictures. I was merely taking pictures of the "see you real soon" or the "welcome home" signs or of my family and on one occasion I was told by a DCL Cast Member in the luggage pick up area not to take pictures.

I strongly believe they are wrong but it's definitely not worth ruining my vacation to prove a point.

Your experiences, thoughts?
2012: Disney Magic NYC to Canada
2011: Port Orleans French Quarter
2009: Contemporary (Dec 31 - Jan 5);DCL Wonder (May 7-10); WDW Pop (Sept 21-26); DCL Magic (Sept 26 - Oct2);
2008: DCL Wonder (May 1 - 4)
2007: DCL Magic (Nov 3-10); Disneyworld MNSSHP; Disneyland, Paradise Pier
2006: All Star Sports, DW on DCL Magic 10 Night!; and Pop Century
2005: Disney DTs; 2004: Disney withdrawal
2003: Poly
2002: All Star Sports @ Christmas and Poly
2001: Poly/AKL/All Star Sports
2000: Poly
1998: Coronado Springs (My First Trip!)]
My Crew:
Me: DW DD (16) DS (13) DS (13)
bigferrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:18 AM   #2
cruisingtwins
Mouseketeer

Did it really ruin your vacation?

I believe these rules are for security reasons.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-24-2014, 07:19 AM   #3
AAOSAM2
Earning My Ears

The only place I know of that you are not allowed to take pictures is in the customs area, so when you are in the area to pick up your luggage. They are in fact, correct in not allowing you. I believe there are signs posted as well.

But never when walking past the see ya real soon signs. My daughter takes that picture all the time.
AAOSAM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:36 AM   #4
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigferrell View Post
Has anyone else been told not to take pictures on the "gangway" (After leaving the terminal and going past the mickey shaped funnel or while exiting the ship) or in the luggage pick up area?

I take a lot of pictures of our cruises. On several different cruises I received rude commands from a uniformed Port Security Officer (not sure if they were TSA or Port or Private security) that I was not permitted to take pictures. I was merely taking pictures of the "see you real soon" or the "welcome home" signs or of my family and on one occasion I was told by a DCL Cast Member in the luggage pick up area not to take pictures.

I strongly believe they are wrong but it's definitely not worth ruining my vacation to prove a point.

Yes, I have experience with this
I love photojournaling our trips and thought nothing of taking pics at the end of our trip, last day, etc. I was ok taking pictures of the banners, but as soon as we got down the escalators to the customs area, I took a picture of our luggage area's character sign and immediately had an officer come up to me and scared the heck out of me. She rudely told me that was against the rules and had me delete the picture in front of her right then and there. Kept telling me how she could confiscate my camera. I apologized and said I didn't realize it was not allowed. She showed me the (huge) sign that says no photos. Again, I apologized, not seeing the sign. So I guess they need to be harsh to make everyone understand the seriousness of the rule/law(?).
Still, I felt like a little school girl in trouble, lol.
My DH got a little laugh out of it for the rest of the day reminding me what a rebel I was.

Avenger's 1/2 Marathon!

Last edited by minniebeth; 06-24-2014 at 09:34 AM.
minniebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:09 AM   #5
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

You cannot take pictures or even use your cell phone when you are in the custom area after getting on the escalator. I don't remember seeing any DCL employees in the luggage pick up area. That is run by customs and the porters are also there, who are not DCL employees. We have always taken pictures walking through the gangway of the signs, the kids, and even the CMs swiping our KTTW cards. We have video of the entire walk along the gangway to entering the atrium [or wherever we boarded the ship in LA] for each of our cruises as well.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:15 AM   #6
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:

There are large signs in the customs/luggage area that you are prohibited from taking photos. It's a security issue. If they told you no pics on one cruise why would you continue to take them on subsequent cruises when leaving?

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

Last edited by mmouse37; 06-24-2014 at 09:21 AM.
mmouse37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:27 AM   #7
sweetpee_1993
DIS Veteran

What kills me is the awesome retro travel murals/artwork that's down there that I want pictures of so badly. I'm not trying to jack anything or anybody. I just adore the artwork. I don't get why they put something so gorgeous in an area nobody has time to enjoy and we can't take pictures of to savor. Maybe Disney could sell prints of those pieces. I'd buy them!
Disney Adventures: 1/04 POP, 1/05 POP, 2/06 POP, 1/07 POP, 12/07 CR, 5/08 POFQ sans kids, 1/09 CR, 5/09 Poly w/o the family, 1/10 AKL, 11/10 POFQ, 9/11 WL+DCL Dream+YC, 5/12 DCL Magic, 9/12 DCL Dream sans kids, 1/13 DCL Magic, 5/13 DCL Fantasy, 9/13 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/13 DCL Fantasy sans kids, 4/14 DLH/Disneyland

Other Adventures:
11/13 RCI Allure of the Seas

Future Adventures:
9/14 DCL Dream w/friends
9/14 DCL Wonder Double Dip 2x B2B (4 stops at CC!)
5/15 DCL Wonder WBPC
11/15 DCL Wonder
sweetpee_1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:37 AM   #8
carpenta
DIS Veteran

...maybe it is a safety concern to keep the traffic moving. I imagine that if a large number of folks stop to take pictures than the ramp would turn into an obstacle course....
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:39 AM   #9
~Tinkerella
Mouseketeer

I work at a port facility. It's Homeland Security guidelines that are enforced by Customs and Border Protection. All of this started after 9/11 and truthfully it's for your own safety and protection, as you never know who is taking pictures of the "secure areas" and what they may be attempting to do (looking for flaws that can be compromised). It would be nice if they would explain that rather than being rude, but......................

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.....it's about learning to dance in the rain!"
~Tinkerella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:03 AM   #10
bigferrell
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
There are large signs in the customs/luggage area that you are prohibited from taking photos. It's a security issue. If they told you no pics on one cruise why would you continue to take them on subsequent cruises when leaving?

MJ
Wow, not a warm and fuzzy Dis response. I am very familiar due to my occupation with security rules.

I did not point the camera towards the checkpoint at any time. On two of the occasions I was on the gangway not in sight of the ship or the checkpoint. On all of the occasions I quickly and politely complied with the orders. In fact on at least one of the occasions I was near where DCL takes family photos. I think they are getting carried away. Not a big deal just a minor annoyance.
2009: Contemporary (Dec 31 - Jan 5);DCL Wonder (May 7-10); WDW Pop (Sept 21-26); DCL Magic (Sept 26 - Oct2);
My Crew:
Old 06-24-2014, 10:05 AM   #11
bigferrell
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tinkerella View Post
I work at a port facility. It's Homeland Security guidelines that are enforced by Customs and Border Protection. All of this started after 9/11 and truthfully it's for your own safety and protection, as you never know who is taking pictures of the "secure areas" and what they may be attempting to do (looking for flaws that can be compromised). It would be nice if they would explain that rather than being rude, but......................
Tinkerella,

Thank you for this answer!
It looks like customs rules are different from TSA rules on photography. I will just have to keep my shutterbug finger off the camera during this time. lol
My Crew:
Old 06-24-2014, 10:07 AM   #12
~Tinkerella
Mouseketeer

You're welcome ~ we get inquiries all the time at our homeport. If I'm on site I let the people know why, what's the point in being rude or not explaining at all? it's not like security is a secret or something

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.....it's about learning to dance in the rain!"
~Tinkerella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:13 AM   #13
bigferrell
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingtwins View Post
Did it really ruin your vacation?

I believe these rules are for security reasons.
I think you read it wrong. No vacations were ruined. If I had not followed their directions I suppose having my expensive camera seized would come close.
I love DCL and believe it or not I am laid back and love to have fun. I was just curious about this. So no worries.
My Crew:
Old 06-24-2014, 10:21 AM   #14
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigferrell View Post
Wow, not a warm and fuzzy Dis response. I am very familiar due to my occupation with security rules.

I did not point the camera towards the checkpoint at any time. On two of the occasions I was on the gangway not in sight of the ship or the checkpoint. On all of the occasions I quickly and politely complied with the orders. In fact on at least one of the occasions I was near where DCL takes family photos. I think they are getting carried away. Not a big deal just a minor annoyance.
Please don't read more into my post than what was intended. It was an honest question and not meant to be "non warm and fuzzy". I was genuinely curious. Maybe it is just my nature but if I was told by a gov't officer not to take pics in an area as it was against the rules I would not try to take them again on the next cruise. Again, I was just curious. Sorry if I offended.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

Last edited by mmouse37; 06-24-2014 at 11:17 AM.
mmouse37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:52 AM   #15
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
...in the luggage pick up area?
That's an official, government-controlled, area. NO pictures are allowed in such an area. At any port. I was recently in a few customs/immigration areas in other countries, and they, too, have big huge "no photography" signs posted EVERYWHERE. Now you know. It's not a luggage pickup area, it's a very serious government place.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: