Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2014, 12:35 PM   #1
MsJiminyCricket
Motley Cruise Vet

Gratuity added to Rainforest Day Pass?

I was just on the phone with DCL trying to pre-order a day pass for the Rainforest Room and they want to add 18% gratuity. They have never done this in the past as I've purchased these for years when we sail. I can't understand why they'd add 18% on to a self-service activity. Any thoughts?

Will it cost more for me to purchase a day pass when I'm actually on the ship?

Thanks.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:44 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJiminyCricket View Post
I was just on the phone with DCL trying to pre-order a day pass for the Rainforest Room and they want to add 18% gratuity. They have never done this in the past as I've purchased these for years when we sail. I can't understand why they'd add 18% on to a self-service activity. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
The auto-gratuity was just added recently (like in the last year) on all spa/salon services. I'm guessing not enough people were tipping the staff there. It's a private company (like Shutters), so they want to be sure their employees are getting paid.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-23-2014, 12:46 PM   #3
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thanks.
We purchased a Length of Cruise pass last year (May) on the Fanatsy & it was added then. When I asked about it they said it was new, & they took it off our bill. It was there when we sailed on the Dream this past December.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:47 PM   #4
MsJiminyCricket
Motley Cruise Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwing818 View Post
We purchased a Length of Cruise pass last year (May) on the Fanatsy & it was added then. When I asked about it they said it was new, & they took it off our bill. It was there when we sailed on the Dream this past December.
Interesting that it can be taken off. Is the price for a day pass purchased on board still $16?
Old 06-23-2014, 12:56 PM   #5
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Interesting that it can be taken off. Is the price for a day pass purchased on board still $16?
Pretty sure reason why they took it off was that it was it was still new charge. We paid the gratuity when we sailed in December.

Sorry I don't know the price of a single day pass, as we get the length of cruise pass.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:00 PM   #6
rantnnravin
Whaddya mean there's no room in the suitcase? YOU CAN LAND A PLANE IN THERE!!

Quote:

Thanks.
Although it may be considered mostly "self service", there are staff who keep the area clean, stocked, etc..

rantnnravin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:51 PM   #7
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantnnravin View Post
Although it may be considered mostly "self service", there are staff who keep the area clean, stocked, etc..
Absolutely.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:38 AM   #8
Matty Ice
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantnnravin View Post
Now we're tipping people who are doing the job they should be paid to do? I am happy to show my appreciation with a gratuity to someone who has provided me individual service, but tipping someone because they clean and stock an area is going a little too far.

Just my opinion.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:54 AM   #9
lelalittlelegs
Mouseketeer

Sorry to hijack...

What is a rainforest pass and how/where do I get one? I have read briefly about them but cannot for the life of me work out how to get it? Can I purchase it on board? I'm on the Magic in August. TIA.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:30 AM   #10
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty Ice View Post
Now we're tipping people who are doing the job they should be paid to do? I am happy to show my appreciation with a gratuity to someone who has provided me individual service, but tipping someone because they clean and stock an area is going a little too far.

Just my opinion.
Isn't tipping usually done to those who are doing the job they are paid to do, including waiters/servers, room hosts, etc? Do you not tip, say, hotel maids when vacationing? They typically just "clean and stock" your room daily. It's much like the tipping pools that some restaurants have in effect - all tip go into a pool and all positions (servers, busboys, maître de) all get a cut.

I'm not championing the auto gratuity system, I personally prefer to tip as I see fit. That's one reason I don't use the spa/salon services. I would think the people who clean/stock are working their way up in the spa system, and are probably just part of the pool.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:02 PM   #11
tup1830
Mouseketeer

I agree, an automatic tip for the cleaning is a little absurd.

If tipping is okay for cleaning (and its an outside company), i don't see people tipping the camera people as they take pictures (even with difficult children at times)...i don't see people tipping the cove cafe people if they just go in for a free snack...nor do i see people tipping the cleaning crew, the front desk crew, the engine crew or the officers...even if they are the ones helping to ensure our cruise went ship shape.

This idea of auto gratuity is absurd...just raise the price () and tell people, no tipping please.
tup1830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:06 PM   #12
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tup1830 View Post

This idea of auto gratuity is absurd...just raise the price () and tell people, no tipping please.
But there will ALWAYS be people who still want to tip. Heck, my husband tipped the pre-paid and pre-tipped shuttle driver taking us home from the airport the other night. Just didn't feel right to him to not hand something over, even though he had ALREADY handed something over when he booked the shuttle.

So then you get the expectation again, of a tip on top of the raised price.

They already have us tip people for simply doing their jobs. The spa people work constantly in the Rainforest area.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:15 PM   #13
MsJiminyCricket
Motley Cruise Vet

So - um - does anyone know the cost of a day pass when purchased on the ship?
Old 06-24-2014, 07:16 PM   #14
Matty Ice
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
Isn't tipping usually done to those who are doing the job they are paid to do, including waiters/servers, room hosts, etc? Do you not tip, say, hotel maids when vacationing? They typically just "clean and stock" your room daily. It's much like the tipping pools that some restaurants have in effect - all tip go into a pool and all positions (servers, busboys, maître de) all get a cut.

I'm not championing the auto gratuity system, I personally prefer to tip as I see fit. That's one reason I don't use the spa/salon services. I would think the people who clean/stock are working their way up in the spa system, and are probably just part of the pool.
I absolutely tip the hotel maids who clean "my" room and the waitress that serves me "my" meal and the bell hop who holds "my" bag and the taxi driver who drove me to "my" hotel. That's why I said I'm happy to provide a gratuity to someone who provided me an individual service. I've also paid for spa day passes at resorts in Las Vegas and never had a gratuity automatically added to my bill. Being required to leave a tip in the rainforest room is what, no pun intended, rubs me the wrong way.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: