Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2014, 09:13 AM   #1
luvavacation
DIS Veteran

Concierge Changes - only on Fantasy?

My family was on the Fantasy recently, and we learned of a couple of changes that I haven't seen mentioned here. If I am just late with my post and everyone else knows already, please forgive me.

1. No more blender or mixed type drinks. I am told the blender was taken away 6 months ago, and won't be replaced. DCL is streamlining the drinks (aka - cost cutting ) that are offered during Happy Hour in the lounge. This was a surprise, as we were looking forward to receiving our nightly BBC and Strawberry Daiquiri as in the past. This was a great perk for concierge that my family is very disappointed was taken away.

2. Due to our inability to travel light (3 females, we have stuff, and DH is almost as bad), we had a porter help us with our luggage as we disembarked. Once the luggage was collected from the "Blue Donald" section, we were told that concierge guests now bypass the long line for customs and we go through a side line. As soon as a customs official is open, concierge guests go to the customs official. I don't recall this ever happening before on DCL, I don't know if it will continue, but we appreciated it.

3. Food offerings in the lounge never really changed. I recall more variety previously, but it was pretty much the same each time we went. It all tasted fine to me, but my husband likes simple food and he didn't find anything he ever really wanted to have at the lounge as he said it was "too fancy". This was not the case before. More streamlining, I suppose, if nothing changes.

4. The fridge was never refilled without asking, and instead we were told to just come to the lounge for what we wanted. Sometimes though, you just want to grab a cool drink from your fridge while in a towel, and I don't believe that fits the dress code for the lounge!

We also really missed Andy and Alice. We had them last year (along with PJ who was there this summer but seemed to be constantly on the go so we never really interacted with him), and adored them. The other ladies in concierge were fine, no complaints, but Andy and Alice just seemed "warmer".

Finally, we were told a couple of times that the hosts work for tips, they aren't salaried. Even if I didn't know this ahead of time, on the last night you are given an envelope for the concierge tip, so you will know this eventually. I do tip them, as I do appreciate the little extra touches that the hosts do for us guests, but I do not appreciate feeling pushed into it by the out-of-the-blue story of how they work for tips.

I still loved the room we had (one bedroom), we had a wonderful room host, Tom, and the bed coupled with the bit of movement from the sea made for great sleeping (I like it when the ship rocks me to sleep! ). I also really appreciated the easy route through customs, but I am not appreciative of the other changes I experienced for the price I am charged for concierge. Since it will probably be 2 - 3 years before I sail DCL in concierge again, I wonder what else will change in that time?
luvavacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:27 AM   #2
DISNEY FANTASY
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas

Location: London England UK Why is Cinderella such a lousy football player? Because she has a pumpkin for a coach.

Mixture some changes some I had when on the Fantasy
* Disney Magic -
July 2014 12 Night Med + Greece.
* Disney Wonder - August 2013 Lots of photos Alaska and full navigators, -In 'The Walt' photo thread here,
* Disney Fantasy - Back to back, Eastern and Western, Two weeks in concierge!
* Disney Magic - 8 cruises, inc 12 night Baltic, 11 night Med, 14 & 15 night Panama, & 7 night Caribbean.
Other lines inc RCI and Princess.Next, Disney Magic 12 night Northern Europe 2015.
DISNEY FANTASY is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-23-2014, 09:44 AM   #3
MaleficentRN
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvavacation View Post
2. Due to our inability to travel light (3 females, we have stuff, and DH is almost as bad), we had a porter help us with our luggage as we disembarked. Once the luggage was collected from the "Blue Donald" section, we were told that concierge guests now bypass the long line for customs and we go through a side line. As soon as a customs official is open, concierge guests go to the customs official. I don't recall this ever happening before on DCL, I don't know if it will continue, but we appreciated it.

4. The fridge was never refilled without asking, and instead we were told to just come to the lounge for what we wanted. Sometimes though, you just want to grab a cool drink from your fridge while in a towel, and I don't believe that fits the dress code for the lounge!

We also really missed Andy and Alice. We had them last year (along with PJ who was there this summer but seemed to be constantly on the go so we never really interacted with him), and adored them. The other ladies in concierge were fine, no complaints, but Andy and Alice just seemed "warmer".
When we disembarked in April, I thought this was the case. There was a blue "wall" around the Donald area and I thought, "I bet there's customs back there!" However, we walked our luggage off and were probably the last concierge family off, so I never saw anyone go back there.

We had never had anyone stock our fridge.There were beverages in there when we arrived, but after that, we just kept it fully stocked with what we wanted and left whatever we didn't use.

Andy is on The Dream right now. Gotta share the wealth.
May 2011: First Disney Cruise/First Stay at BLT
December 2011: First MVMCP/First WL Stay
September 2013: First Mother/Daughter Trip
April 2014:First Disney Cruise without stop in WDW
December 2014: First Mother/Son Trip

MaleficentRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:52 AM   #4
fryfrye
Earning My Ears

At least one addition we noted: "Treats" delivered to the room each day -- ranging from cupcakes to nuts and olives.

We've cruised concierge three times, twice on Fantasy and once on the Dream. We got three more scheduled.

We did send (and I'd suggest others do as well) suggestions to shoreside that got forwarded to guest relations. Our suggestions included adding a few extra perks for concierge (given the increasing difference between a 4A and V).

Ideas we suggested:

1) Fast Pass type option for photos (in addition to the boarding photo)
2) Priority tendering when returning
fryfrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:37 PM   #5
DisneyDollface
Earning My Ears

Concierge changes on Fantasy....

What types of cocktails are being offered in the lounge?
DisneyDollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:27 PM   #6
luvavacation
DIS Veteran

So I had no idea we could just take pop and water from the fridge in concierge and stock our own fridge! I will keep it in mind for next time, though it was nice previously when we just opened the fridge in our room and it was always stocked.

I had forgotten about the treats to the room, but I do remember now being surprised that, for a room of 4, there would be 2 of this, 2 of that, etc. I thought they always did that though in concierge, but perhaps I have forgotten.

As to the drinks, I am not a mixed drink person so I didn't pay too much attention to what was out, as we prefer the fruity blender-with-fruit-and-ice drinks, but there was rum, vodka, wine, and I think beer. Just nothing with fresh fruit, and nothing blended. Also, the bartender did state that DCL was pulling off some of the syrups and top shelf brands from concierge. She also said there were lots of complaints, and she recommended contacting DCL to let them know our opinion of the "streamlining".

Perhaps someone with greater knowledge of what brands are available at the cocktail hour will be of more help, DisneyDollface. I am sorry I don't have more definitive information for you.
luvavacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:40 PM   #7
kimerinc
Ariels Mom

OK, yes I realize this is a 1st world problem. We don't drink, and aside from me, no one in my family drinks soda. Will they refill juice or lemonade, do they have that in the lounge?
1994 RCCL 3 Day, 1998 Princess 7 Day Western Carribean, 2000 RCCL 10 day Hawaii, 2005 RCCL 6 Day Western Carribean, 2006 DCL 7 Day Double Dip, 12/8/2007 Eastern Carribean, 2009 DCL Panama Canal Crossing, 2010 DCL Alaska, 2011 DCL Alaska
Disneyland 1992, 1994, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 twice. Disneyworld, 2002, 2006 (feb), 2006(dec), 2011, 2012, 2013
kimerinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:47 PM   #8
tstobb
Zurg's Great Nemosis
Closet believer
hint hint hint

Do they have draft or bottled beer in the lounge?
Old 06-23-2014, 06:30 PM   #9
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvavacation View Post
The fridge was never refilled without asking, and instead we were told to just come to the lounge for what we wanted.

Finally, we were told a couple of times that the hosts work for tips, they aren't salaried. Even if I didn't know this ahead of time, on the last night you are given an envelope for the concierge tip, so you will know this eventually. I do tip them, as I do appreciate the little extra touches that the hosts do for us guests, but I do not appreciate feeling pushed into it by the out-of-the-blue story of how they work for tips.
Feb 2013 our fridge on Dream wasn't filled, and we were told to get what we wanted. That's not a change from my perspective.

If someone in concierge tells me that they'll have a fun convo. Because to get a job like that, when all of the concierge staff that I have met is from 1st world, EXPENSIVE, countries, where all of your money comes from tips but there is no required tip, means that the person accepting that job isn't very bright. And I just don't think the concierges are un-bright. Therefore, I believe those stories are just stories. I believe they are lying. And I wouldn't have a problem saying all of the above to a concierge staff who tries to say such a thing. Our fave concierge CM is from England; there is no chance she has accepted a no-salary job with no tipping requirements, while continuing to keep a home in England. Not a chance. The staff onboard from places like Jamaica and Haiti, YES, absolutely. The tips (which are required for servers, etc) DO help them. But it wouldn't help keep a flat in London, that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimerinc View Post
OK, yes I realize this is a 1st world problem. We don't drink, and aside from me, no one in my family drinks soda. Will they refill juice or lemonade, do they have that in the lounge?
I don't think so. FWIW you don't have to minimize your questions and concerns like that. We're all in a certain place where cruises are a conversation we're having. No need to make yourself feel bad at the start of a question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstobb View Post
Do they have draft or bottled beer in the lounge?
At least on Dream, bottled.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:48 PM   #10
jjgarv
Gotta get away to where the boat leaves from...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryfrye View Post
Ideas we suggested:

1) Fast Pass type option for photos (in addition to the boarding photo)
2) Priority tendering when returning
I thought concierge already got private meet-and-greets?
Honeymoon 4/00 4 Day Magic and Wilderness Lodge; 3/02 7 Day Eastern Magic; 11/02 Beach Club Villas; 11/04 7 day Western Magic; 10/05 4 Day Wonder and 3 Day at Saratoga Springs; 9/06 7 Day Twice the Magic--2x Castaway Cay; 11/07 7 Day Eastern Magic; 9/08 7 Western Double Dip--2x Castaway Cay; 5/09 Villas at AKL; 10/09 7 Day Eastern Magic to St Croix; 4/10 7 Day Caribbean Princess for 10th Anniversary; 10/10 7 Day Western Magic; 10/11 7 Days B2B on the Dream; 10/12 7 Day Eastern Fantasy; 3/12 DVC Villas at Aulani; 10/13 7 Day Western Fantasy; 10/14 7 Day Western Fantasy to Jamaica
jjgarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:01 PM   #11
storknurse13
Mouseketeer

Yes the concierge lounge does have bottled beer. I don't mind stocking my own fridge from what is in the concierge fridge, that way I choose what goes in it!
DCL Fantasy April 2013~Concierge, DCL Magic January 2012~Concierge, WDW April 2011~DS 3 weeks old/DD 4th Bday, WDW Dec 2009~DS 1st Bday, RCI Jewel Of The Seas 30~Oct 2010/ 13 Night Special Caribbean Cruise, RCI Mariner Of The Seas Mariner Of The Seas~May 2008/ 7 Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise, RCI Freedom Of The Seas~Oct-2006/ 7 Night Western Caribbean Cruise, RCI Jewel Of The Seas~Oct-2004/ 10 Night Canada/New England Cruise, RCI Enchantment Of The Seas~May-2004/ 5 Night Western Caribbean Cruise, RCI Navigator Of The Seas~Oct-2003/ 7 Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise, RCI Explorer Of The Seas~Oct-2002/ 7-Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise, CCL Triumph~October 2000/ 7 night Western Caribbean Cruise, RCI Sovereign Of The Seas~Oct-1997/ 4 Night Bahamas Cruise, WDW-New Year's Eve 1985, WDW-Family Reunion Vacation 1982

storknurse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:35 PM   #12
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgarv View Post
I thought concierge already got private meet-and-greets?
There is one private meet-and-greet with one character. It was on the concierge sundeck and lasted 15 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by storknurse13 View Post
Yes the concierge lounge does have bottled beer. I don't mind stocking my own fridge from what is in the concierge fridge, that way I choose what goes in it!
Was beer available in the refrigerators in the lounge when you cruised? When we sailed concierge on the Dream last fall, there was no bottled beer available for the taking -- it was only available during the scheduled pre-dinner cocktail hours and the 1-hour "Afternoon Soiree" on the sundeck, which was on Nassau day on our cruise. Only water and soda (and hot beverages from the fabulous coffee machine) were available 24-7.

Disney Dream ~ February 12-16, 2012
Disney Fantasy ~ March 23-30, 2013
Disney Dream ~ September 1-5, 2013 * Trip Report: Living the Suite Life on the Dream ~ Sept. 1-5, 2013
Disney Fantasy ~ April 19-26, 2014
Lisa Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:44 PM   #13
storknurse13
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Lisa View Post
There is one private meet-and-greet with one character. It was on the concierge sundeck and lasted 15 minutes. Was beer available in the refrigerators in the lounge when you cruised? When we sailed concierge on the Dream last fall, there was no bottled beer available for the taking -- it was only available during the scheduled pre-dinner cocktail hours and the 1-hour "Afternoon Soiree" on the sundeck, which was on Nassau day on our cruise. Only water and soda (and hot beverages from the fabulous coffee machine) were available 24-7.
Sorry to lead you astray....bottled beer was only available during the two cocktail hours. Sodas available for taking to your fridge for restock!
DCL Fantasy April 2013~Concierge, DCL Magic January 2012~Concierge, WDW April 2011~DS 3 weeks old/DD 4th Bday, WDW Dec 2009~DS 1st Bday, RCI Jewel Of The Seas 30~Oct 2010/ 13 Night Special Caribbean Cruise, RCI Mariner Of The Seas Mariner Of The Seas~May 2008/ 7 Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise, RCI Freedom Of The Seas~Oct-2006/ 7 Night Western Caribbean Cruise, RCI Jewel Of The Seas~Oct-2004/ 10 Night Canada/New England Cruise, RCI Enchantment Of The Seas~May-2004/ 5 Night Western Caribbean Cruise, RCI Navigator Of The Seas~Oct-2003/ 7 Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise, RCI Explorer Of The Seas~Oct-2002/ 7-Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise, CCL Triumph~October 2000/ 7 night Western Caribbean Cruise, RCI Sovereign Of The Seas~Oct-1997/ 4 Night Bahamas Cruise, WDW-New Year's Eve 1985, WDW-Family Reunion Vacation 1982

storknurse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:54 PM   #14
cgolf
DIS Veteran

Fantasy 1/13, 1/14

Last edited by cgolf; 07-20-2014 at 03:45 PM.
cgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:56 AM   #15
AlexandNessa
Proud Redhead
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Must sleep barefoot
HEY EVERYONE...THIS IS A SECRET...SHE HATED THE MUMMY MOVIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolf View Post
Very surprised by this, we were on in January and never heard anything like this. We had Kemisha, Alice, and Julia and they were all wonderful and friendly. I wonder if it is certain hosts that bring this up to try and get more tips, not sure. The only thing we heard was the complaints about the price increases and how regulars are not rebooking. The concierge rebookings during the cruise and cruises before us were down at least 50% from other years and the hosts were bummed. We fell into the not rebooking after going concierge 2 years in a row.

cgolf
Interesting. Though I do have to wonder, how much of the downtrend in rebookings is price of concierge v. the newly minted 18 month booking window? We sail concierge in October 2014 & already have another booked in October 2015. What am I going to do with a booking that expires in April 2016, if we always sail in the fall and already have next year's fall cruise booked? 18 months is a bit stingy, IMHO. Give me 2 years if you want me to rebook.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: