Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2014, 03:59 PM   #1
Crl1817
Mouseketeer

Rule of thumb, paying OOP for snacks?

We will have one snack credit per day each on our dining plan. I'm sure we will go over and that's fine. I'm wondering if there is a rule of thumb on when to pay out of pocket. For example, if we are on our first day of our five day vacation and dd wants a snack that costs just $3, should we just pay out of pocket for that one, saving the credit for a more expensive snack later? If so, what's your cut off? Anything under $4, pay out of pocket for the first half of the trip? Some other number?

Thanks!
Crl1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:20 PM   #2
O Town Girl
Earning My Ears

we found that even with only one snack credit per day per person, we were ending up with quite a few snack credits left over toward the end of the trip because the dining plan was so much food and no one was ever that hungry. Rule of thumb depends when you're going. If F&W is on at the time, it's best to buy the 3$ snack OOP and use your credits for the more expensive kiosk offerings (i.e. $7 steak at Le Cellier etc). I would never waste a snack credit on a bottle of water or a piece of fruit, but would be happy to get a Mickey ice cream, pretzel or popcorn.. especially a caramel treat from the Germany pavilion!
Use them as you want the first day or so and see how things go. If you're going through them quickly, I would definitely institute the $4 rule.. however a treat's a treat no matter what it costs. Especially if you go during Free Dining promo. Enjoy!!!!
O Town Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-27-2014, 04:27 PM   #3
lovewdwdvc
DIS Veteran

Breakfast

Oatmeal and a couple of other goodies are snack credits so we usually get breakfast with snack credits.

RESORTS: POP, ASSp, Poly, BWI, SSR, CBR, Swan, VWL, AKL, Dixie Landings, POR, PORFQ,BWV. BCV, Fort Wilderness Cabin, BCV
lovewdwdvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:37 PM   #4
supersnoop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crl1817 View Post
We will have one snack credit per day each on our dining plan. I'm sure we will go over and that's fine. I'm wondering if there is a rule of thumb on when to pay out of pocket. For example, if we are on our first day of our five day vacation and dd wants a snack that costs just $3, should we just pay out of pocket for that one, saving the credit for a more expensive snack later? If so, what's your cut off? Anything under $4, pay out of pocket for the first half of the trip? Some other number?

Thanks!
What's your worst-case scenario? For three people over five days, you have 15 snack credits. If you use those for $3 items instead of $5 items, you're out $2x15=$30. By paying cash for low-cost snacks early in your trip, the risk is that you won't use up all of your snack credits. Does the up-to $30 savings offset that risk?
supersnoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:56 PM   #5
Crl1817
Mouseketeer

We did have way more than enough food with the deluxe dining plan last trip. This time we will have one table service and one quick service and one snack credit per person. I'll bring a few emergency granola bars, but I'm not planning on a grocery delivery or bringing a lot of food with us. So I'm figuring the snack credits will go to breakfasts as well as snacks. I don't want to be tracking every penny, but it seems a little silly to use a snack credit on a low cost item when I'm pretty sure we are going to use all of them and more. So I think an easy guideline makes some sense.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:32 AM   #6
julluvsdisney
"A dream is a wish your heart makes, when you're fast asleep"

my rule of thumb is I never use snack credits for drinks (isnt cost effective) and i try to keep it above $4.00. But if I see that halfway through we have a ton of credits I start to use them as needed. This has only happened once and it was the first time I went on the dining plan. i guess I was too strick!!

Have a great trip!

Mouseketeers-ME, DH, DS, DS
WDW TRIPS*1994 ASMu* 2007 Disneymoon POFQ* 2009 POP*2010 POP*2011 POP* 2012 POR* 2013 POR*2014 POR RR*2014 POR *2015 VGF*
julluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:15 AM   #7
Crl1817
Mouseketeer

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2014, 09:16 AM   #8
kaybird
DIS Veteran

We rarely use the snack credits on a drink unless it is a specialty item (Shake, float, etc.) The $4 rule is pretty good. Having said that, we learned early on that we use up the snacks before we start paying OOP. They tend to build as your food tolerance wanes after about day 3. You may use more to start, but then be scrambling to use them up at the end!

kaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:41 AM   #9
WantToGoNow
DIS Veteran

We always have a lot of our snack credits left. This past trip I told everyone that they needed to use it every day. I didn't want 25 credits of candy/junk coming home. So we had pretzels, floats, sundaes, slushes, etc. We still ended up with two each left. We don't use them for drinks or popcorn.
WantToGoNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:21 AM   #10
Ava
DIS Veteran

A lot of the higher cost snacks are plenty big enough to share as well, so you'll use less credits if you use them on these shareable items.

I plan to use our snack credits to feed the 1-year-old, as much as possible. I'm sure most CS places she'll be able to share from our plates, but if I can get her a side of vegetables or a yogurt with a snack credit to supplement that, even better. It may not be the most "cost effective" use of snack credits but since every meal comes with dessert I doubt we'll want very many snacks. (Except for a Dole Whip. There is always room for a Dole Whip.)

Sept 2014 Trip Report - In Progress

1983 (age 3): Buena Vista Palace 1988: Fort Wilderness Cabin 1991: Offsite 1997: All-Star Music 2002: All-Star Music 2004: All-Star Movies
April 2006: All-Star Music May 2011: POP Century Sept 2014: Caribbean Beach Aug 2015: Art of Animation, Lion King Suite

Ava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:32 PM   #11
ibela
DIS Veteran

I've tried different ways and we always end up with 1 or 2 bags full of sacks using our extra credits at hotel checkout. We've tried:
- $4 or more, tons of credits left over
- anything except drinks, tons of credits left over
- 1 snack per person per day, anything you want - still tons of credits left over. Early in the day no one wanted to waste their 1 snack. Then with lunch and dinner, by the end of the day not everyone wanted a snack.
- use your allotment as you please. This is what we do now. If the kids want a chocolate milk mid-day, that's fine. I figured I'd rather "waste" a credit on a $3 chocolate milk than pay it OOP only to take home yet another cookie/rice krispie treat, etc.

There's already at least 2 desserts included that day with meals so I don't mind using snack credits on a drink. Because my 2 kids are young, we tend to share snack credits too (ex. 1 funnel cake is enough, sometimes getting a 2 scoop ice cream in a cup instead of them each getting their own, sharing popcorn, etc.). Because we often go in August and the heat is brutal, we try to drink lots of ice water and use snack credits mostly on ice cream/ice pops anyway. Since many places offer ice cream as a CS dessert anyway, we still don't use all of our snack credits. Some days we'll use 8 credits between us 4 (ex. in Epcot!) and other days we'll only use 2. Our last trip I had no stipulations, didn't pay for anything OOP, and we still had about 8 credits left over at the end of the week.

I'd suggest checking your remaining # of credits after day 3 to determine if you need to start paying OOP for any snacks.
Magic Eastern Sept 29 - Oct 6, 2007 TR:http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1605878

WDW:
OKW: Aug 2014 (upcoming)
BLT/AKV Jambo: Aug 2013
BWK: Dec 2011
BC: Sep 2010
BLT/AKV Kidani: Nov 2009
SSR: May 2008
ibela is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: