Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2014, 10:53 AM   #16
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooRach0906 View Post
I saw inflatable floats are not allowed but would inflatable water wings be ok?
I don't think the little inflatable water wings are, at least not in the pools...it has to be Coast Guard approved:

Coast Guard approved personal flotation devices (PFDs) and flotation sewn into the bathing suit for safety. However, recreational floating devices such as floats, rafts and fun noodles cannot be brought on board and are not permitted in the pools or on Castaway Cay.

I know things like Puddlejumpers are ok. And DCL provides lifejackets both on the ship and at CC.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:00 AM   #17
robhawk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLanes View Post
I don't think most people fly kites, so that's a big stretch...
Haha! I meant if 10 people were flying kites over the heads of 2000 at the beach... Not pretty!
Register to remove

Old 06-20-2014, 11:17 AM   #18
DynamicDisneyDuo
DIS Veteran

Not too mention some child or child-like adult might try flying a kite while on the ship. That could cause problems as well.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:19 AM   #19
clten
DIS Veteran

If you really want to fly a kite at Castaway Cay, you often could do it with a kite provided by DCL -- on many cruises we have been on, they offered a Family craft activity the day before Castaway Cay -- kite decorating. (Can't confirm if this is an activity on recent cruises but was on my last cruise last fall.) They do emphasize that kites can be flown at Castaway Cay (don't remember if they ask you do to it at the Sports Beach) but NOT onboard the ship.
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:37 AM   #20
smootenloopers
Works to Support Cruise Habit

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBinCO View Post
Kites? That blows. I totally would have brought one. We bring ours in ever beach vacation because my kids favorite thing to do on the beach is to fly a kite.

I assume when they say a DVD player, a portable is okay? We'll be bringing one on the flight to keep the kids occupied.
Portable with it's own screen is fine. They just don't want you connecting anything to the TV. People do it and mess up all the settings.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:16 PM   #21
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnrsgrl View Post
I agree with the PP. The items you are not allowed to bring are listed clearly and, for the most part, fairly logical(there are some exceptions to the logical part--kites??). You won't have to worry about what will happen to them if you just read the list and don't pack those things. That said to my understanding they will just confiscate them, and you can pick them up at the end of your cruise. As to how they will know you have the items, you have to go through security to get into the terminal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicDisneyDuo View Post
Not too mention some child or child-like adult might try flying a kite while on the ship. That could cause problems as well.
That's what I figured. Can you imagine someone out on their balcony, flying a kite? I can totally see the problems with kites.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)

sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:49 PM   #22
gotomu212
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooRach0906 View Post
I saw inflatable floats are not allowed but would inflatable water wings be ok?
My son wore inflatable wings without a problem (last Oct on Fantasy)
gotomu212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:25 PM   #23
pouncingpluto
2005 WDW Bride

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotomu212 View Post
Have you ever tried a puddle jumper? Super awesome and no danger of deflating (this is the thing we were always worried about when I was a lifeguard--parents feeling really secure (and less attentive) with the kid wearing water wings and not realizing one has deflated).
Old 06-20-2014, 09:29 PM   #24
RooRach0906
"Oh Goody, Horray!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
I don't think the little inflatable water wings are, at least not in the pools...it has to be Coast Guard approved:

Coast Guard approved personal flotation devices (PFDs) and flotation sewn into the bathing suit for safety. However, recreational floating devices such as floats, rafts and fun noodles cannot be brought on board and are not permitted in the pools or on Castaway Cay.

I know things like Puddlejumpers are ok. And DCL provides lifejackets both on the ship and at CC.

Enjoy your cruise!
Thank you. Do you know if they have to be rented or are first come, first serve?

On our weigh and bringing Tagalongs ~ Sept 2014 PTR ~
RooRach0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:34 PM   #25
RooRach0906
"Oh Goody, Horray!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotomu212 View Post
Thank you I may take them if they tell me no then we will just use the life jackets. Hopefully she will just learn to swim this summer then we won't have to worry about it at all.

On our weigh and bringing Tagalongs ~ Sept 2014 PTR ~
RooRach0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:49 PM   #26
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooRach0906

Thank you. Do you know if they have to be rented or are first come, first serve?
Free - first come, first served

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:56 PM   #27
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
Free - first come, first served

Enjoy your cruise!
Rack of life vests poolside:

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:59 PM   #28
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

they do scan luggage and some things are very obvious. I think the opp had at one time asked about bringing an iron. that would certainly show up on the scan and it would be confinscated in a heartbeat. I have read of some cruisers trying to get things past security but most have been disappointed. i'm sure things have been taken that cruisers didn't know were prohibited.

the good thing is that you can collect the items at the end of your cruise but I wonder how this is done??
tinkerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:00 PM   #29
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

The items you have inquired about are banned due to them being a fire hazard. You don't want to be on a ship when there is a fire. It's simply not worth the risk. You might not leave your iron on in your room, but what about the person next door to you?

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:16 PM   #30
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

My son packed an English Premiere League soccer ball. When we unpacked it wasn't there. No note was there. Guest Services had no idea and said if it was taken, there would be a note. There wasn't a note. I chalked it up to it being stolen because if it was taken as a prohibited item, there would have been a note.

We bought a new ball in Mexico. We had no issue boarding the ship after our day in Mexico with the ball. Not a head turned. We still have that ball.

Disney gave me a bottle of wine and DS an arcade card for the missing ball but still had no answer as to where it went and didn't say it was prohibited.

I read Disney's official prohibited item list. The sports equipment listed are some sort of stick but nothing about soccer, baseball, volley or any other kind of balls.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: