Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2014, 12:08 AM   #1
elliev
Earning My Ears

Unhappy Items that are not allowed

I've been reading and asking questions since this is going to be my first cruise...now I'm worried...what happens if I pack something that isn't allowed? How do they know...do they check baggage and confiscate?i
elliev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:29 AM   #2
DISNEY FANTASY
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliev View Post
I've been reading and asking questions since this is going to be my first cruise...now I'm worried...what happens if I pack something that isn't allowed? How do they know...do they check baggage and confiscate?i
They will just take it off you and give it back at the end of the cruise or might ask you to dispose of it depending on what it it. Read the DCL site or your tickets it's. Lear on that and just font take them.
Disney Fantasy 8/11 and 8/18 2012 back to back, Eastern and Western, Two weeks in concierge!
Disney Magic Eight cruises, inc 12 night Baltic, 11 night Med, 14 and 15 night Panama crossings, and 7 night Caribbean cruises.
Over 14 Previous cruises, including Disney, RCI and Princess.
DISNEY FANTASY is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-20-2014, 01:17 AM   #3
SillyInventor
Mouseketeer

All bagage is x-ray scanned for prohibited items. If one is in your luggage it will be removed and replaced with a note that you can claim it back at the end of the cruise. This does not apply to goods that need to be refrigerated. These will be disposed. It's a very normal prohibited list, so stick to it and don't bring these items, then you don't have to worry about it.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:20 AM   #4
fnrsgrl
Mouseketeer

I agree with the PP. The items you are not allowed to bring are listed clearly and, for the most part, fairly logical(there are some exceptions to the logical part--kites??). You won't have to worry about what will happen to them if you just read the list and don't pack those things. That said to my understanding they will just confiscate them, and you can pick them up at the end of your cruise. As to how they will know you have the items, you have to go through security to get into the terminal.

2002- Yacht Club and All-Star Music; 2007 AKL and All-star Movies/DCL; 2008- All-Star Movies; Feb. 2010- POR; 2012- POR/DCL; 2013- POR
Me & DH, Bond, KP, Carbon and Sprinkles
Please check out my first PTR, Sea Ya Real Soon: A Dreamy Pre-Trip Report, my NEW PTR, There's No Place Like Your Second Home for the Holidays--A Very Merry Christmas-y PTR And my first TR, A Veritable Explosion of Pixie Dust
fnrsgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:59 AM   #5
KBinCO
Mouseketeer

Kites? That blows. I totally would have brought one. We bring ours in ever beach vacation because my kids favorite thing to do on the beach is to fly a kite.

I assume when they say a DVD player, a portable is okay? We'll be bringing one on the flight to keep the kids occupied.
KBinCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:42 AM   #6
fnrsgrl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBinCO View Post
Kites? That blows. I totally would have brought one. We bring ours in ever beach vacation because my kids favorite thing to do on the beach is to fly a kite.

I assume when they say a DVD player, a portable is okay? We'll be bringing one on the flight to keep the kids occupied.
I'm pretty sure I remember kites being on there because I thought it was weird. I could be wrong, though. I'm not sure about the DVD player. We're driving, so we are definitely bringing our portable Blu-ray player. I would rather have them confiscate it than leave it in the car for the whole week, so we'll probably just stick it in a carry-on bag and hope for the best. Since they say that rule is becaue DVD players would interfere with the stateroom TV's, I would assume that a portable that doesn't hook into the TV would probably be okay.

2002- Yacht Club and All-Star Music; 2007 AKL and All-star Movies/DCL; 2008- All-Star Movies; Feb. 2010- POR; 2012- POR/DCL; 2013- POR
Me & DH, Bond, KP, Carbon and Sprinkles
Please check out my first PTR, Sea Ya Real Soon: A Dreamy Pre-Trip Report, my NEW PTR, There's No Place Like Your Second Home for the Holidays--A Very Merry Christmas-y PTR And my first TR, A Veritable Explosion of Pixie Dust
fnrsgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:07 AM   #7
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

This is the list of prohibited items from DCL's website: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/p...hibited-items/

Yes, it includes kites. I believe the concern with DVD players and such is related to connecting (or not connecting) them to the stateroom TVs; a portable player that you intend to use as stand-alone should be fine.

Whether you carry-on or check your luggage it goes through security -- much like at an airport. If found, prohibited items will be confiscated and you can retrieve such items after the cruise - except for perishable food which will be tossed. Yes, some people report their item made it through security -- but really, do you want to take the chance? Most are prohibited for safety reasons, regardless of whether you plan to use it on the ship or in port or pre-/post-cruise, it cannot be brought on.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:25 AM   #8
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Don't take hand weights. I bought little 3 lbs ones not even thinking that they were an issue but to DCL they are a weapon and they got removed from my suitcase. Bummer was I forgot to pick them up after the cruise.

wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:49 AM   #9
cheribelle
Mouseketeer

Portable DVD players are fine. At least they were in Aug 2013. Much too hot to leave in the car - we ruined quite a few that way. No one said a thing as they were packed in my carry on.
cheribelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:02 AM   #10
Beermam42
Grit and bear it

TV in Stateroom Has All Disney Movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBinCO View Post

Thers is an on Demand feature on TV, if you really want to go on cruise and watch movies, plus a full theater running movies.
DISNEY MAGIC FEB 9-13, 2013
DISNEYLAND 1954 OPENING YEAR & 1977
WDW 1972 OPENING YEAR
WDW 1974 THROUGH JUNE 2013 CAN'T COUNT
HOOP DEE DOO REVIEW 21 TIMES
RIVER COUNTRY
ROAD STEAM TRAIN IN FT WILDERNESS
Beermam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:51 AM   #11
robhawk
DIS Veteran

I totally understand kites. 2000 people on a beach with kite flying doesn't really go together.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:02 AM   #12
RooRach0906
"Oh Goody, Horray!"

I saw inflatable floats are not allowed but would inflatable water wings be ok?

On our weigh and bringing Tagalongs ~ Sept 2014 PTR ~
RooRach0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:07 AM   #13
Prose
DIS Veteran

I have seen on other cruise boards folks asking about flying kites off the aft of the ship (not Disney)....so I'm sure that is something they really want to avoid!

Me , DH , DD (14)
MK 1973, Epcot 1991 with DH
First magical trip with DD June '07
Disney Cruise on the WONDER March '08
WONDER cruise to Alaska June '11
Awesome trip to WDW October 2012 MNSSHP
Sailed the Eastern on the Fantasy 10/19/13
Prose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:25 AM   #14
TheLanes
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhawk View Post
I totally understand kites. 2000 people on a beach with kite flying doesn't really go together.
I don't think most people fly kites, so that's a big stretch...

March 2007 - 11 night Mex Riviera- Celebrity Mercury
April 2009 - 3 night Baja Mexico - Carnival Elation
April 2010 - 4 night Baja Mexico - Carnival Elation
Feb 2012 - 7 night Mexican Riviera - Disney Wonder

Coming up: Oct 2015 - 5 night Baja Mexico - Disney Wonder

Disneyland: Dozens and dozens of trips!
TheLanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:35 AM   #15
Made Up Name
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhawk View Post
I wouldn't bring a kite on my cruise even if it was allowed. So that would only be 1999 people on the beach flying a kite.
Made Up Name is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: