Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2014, 02:51 PM   #1
pcusick13
Earning My Ears

Planning a Trip

Hey guys,

I'm new here so bear with me. I'm sure you get a lot of these posts every day/week but my girlfriend and I are planning a trip to Disney for early September. We're trying to decide on a resort to stay at but are having the hardest time making up our minds. We really like both Port Orleans Resorts as well as the Caribbean Beach Resort. However, Dolphin and Coronado Springs seem great too (although maybe a little too pricey). I was wondering if you had any opinions/advice about differentiating between those couple of resorts and what might be best for the two of us.

We're in our mid 20s and don't mind spending a little extra money if a resort is really worth it but since we have never made a trip to Disney except years ago with our different families, we're a little unsure on what might be best for two young adults. Thanks a lot for any help you guys might be able to give.
pcusick13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:57 PM   #2
LeeLee'sMom
DIS Veteran

I cannot comment on the Dolphin as we have never stayed at that resort but all the other choices, Port Orleans, CBR and Coronado are all very nice. Maybe you can narrow it down to theming. THe weather will still be very warm and my favorite pool/slide and food area of the 3 was Coronado. With Port Orleans (riverside or POFQ) you have many food choices and Yehaa Bob which is also fun. CBR has a very nice tropical feel also. I have to say I personally felt the buses were the best at Coronado and the area is so beautiful. You really can't go wrong with any of them though. Dolpin is GORGEOUS too but have never stayed there just did a walk through. You won't go wrong with any of them...enjoy
Register to remove

Old 06-19-2014, 03:20 PM   #3
Beer Me
Mouseketeer

I've stayed at the Swan. It's a very nice hotel and the location is incredible. I loved walking to epcot and it's a walk or easy boat ride to Hollywood studios. And of course all of the restaurants and entertainment around the boardwalk. I think the swan/Dolphin would be a lot different from the other three choices.
We're staying at CBR this year to try something new but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend swan/dolphin.
Beer Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:56 PM   #4
sndral
DIS Veteran

I have not stayed at the Swan or Dolphin (aka Swolphin) but have stayed next door at the YC a couple of times. The Disney resorts in the Epcot/DHS area are deluxe resorts (YC, BC and BWI.) The location is great - walking or boating to 2 parks is a very nice perk and if you can stay in the area for the price of a moderate it's a great choice. However, make sure you are comparing apples to apples when you compare prices between the Disney moderates and the Swolphin. First, are you flying? If so you'll not get DME - the free shuttle from the airport which Disney resort visitors get - if you stay @ the Swolphin. If you are driving add $15 per day to pay to park @ the Swolphin, and add their mandatory 'resort fee' of $20(?) per day to the rate you see. If you want a magic band you'll have to pay $12.95 for it, and no charging to your rooms from the parks or restaurants (except Swolphin restaurants) and no dinning plan. You do get all other benefits - EMH, 60 day FP+ ressies, Disney bus stops/boat stops at the Swolphin.
In regards to the moderates, I stayed a couple of times @ CBR - years ago, which I loved, spacious, pretty grounds, bright tropical buildings, very large rooms, nice food court, IMO. I stayed @ POFQ more recently and liked it as well, more formal grounds, smaller resort than CBR and that wonderful relaxing boat ride to DTD. but not such a big pool as CBR (although you can use POR's pool which is larger.) I haven't stayed @ CSR, the theme just doesn't appeal to me. Try looking on YouTube at the videos of the various places you are considering, I am sure one of the resorts will appeal to you.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:55 PM   #5
pcusick13
Earning My Ears

We are flying in so that free shuttle to and from the airport would be a nice perk. I think we are leaning towards the Port Orleans French Quarter as of now, my only concern is I have read a couple things saying the buses to the parks can run slowly from there but that is probably just nit picking. I guess with so many good choices it just comes down to personal preference. Thanks for all your help, it's nice to know that we won't be going wrong with any of the choices. If you guys have any other helpful hints/advice for us I would love to hear it. Like I said before, we've never been to Disney on our own before or as adults (or close to adults haha) so we're still trying to figure out what the best stuff to do down there is.
pcusick13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:10 PM   #6
Tpiejg
Mouseketeer

I wouldn't worry about the buses at port orleans. We have stayed at both por and fq and have never had problems with the buses. Sept. is a quieter time so you shouldn't have any issues.
Tpiejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:15 PM   #7
disneyjunkie11
Mouseketeer

We have stayed at PO Riverside and French Quarter. We have had reliable and relatively quick bus service with both resorts. I personally like POFQ better since it's small and easy to walk around the entire resort. There is also only one bus stop to get on/off.
disneyjunkie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:30 PM   #8
dpswift
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcusick13 View Post
We are flying in so that free shuttle to and from the airport would be a nice perk. I think we are leaning towards the Port Orleans French Quarter as of now, my only concern is I have read a couple things saying the buses to the parks can run slowly from there but that is probably just nit picking. I guess with so many good choices it just comes down to personal preference. Thanks for all your help, it's nice to know that we won't be going wrong with any of the choices. If you guys have any other helpful hints/advice for us I would love to hear it. Like I said before, we've never been to Disney on our own before or as adults (or close to adults haha) so we're still trying to figure out what the best stuff to do down there is.
I think that POFQ would be a great fit for a couple. It is smaller and quieter than POR or CBR. As far as the buses it can be hit or miss. However overall they run well.
dpswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:01 PM   #9
karly05
DIS Veteran

POFQ is the only moderate resort I've stayed at, but I really like it - it's pretty and charming, small and easy to get around. Plus it's a "sister resort" with POR, so if you want to walk over there to try the food court, recreation, etc., you can.

I did have one Bad Bus Morning at POFQ this year, but it was some issue with a seemingly stalled bus that could happen anywhere, and an isolated incident. You will hear good and bad about the buses at any resort, and I don't think I'd make a decision based on that. (I get the impression that bus service to DTD is always bad from anywhere, so having the DTD boat to/from POFQ/POR is a nice perk.)

One thing - POFQ doesn't seem to get the discounts that POR (and other resorts) get, because it's so small and they don't have a hard time filling rooms, so you might keep an eye on that.
2013 - POFQ - Mardi Gras in the Little Easy
2014 - POFQ - "Eat Around the World" - Yes. Yes, I did.
2015 - POFQ - As P&F say: Carpe Diem! 4 Parks in a Day

karly05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:49 PM   #10
Couchy
DIS Veteran

I would stay at the Swan or Dolphin. The location is incredible and the pool is awesome. It might be a little more but 2 of the parks have no bis hassle and walking around the Boardwalk at night is amazing and fun. Tons of options for food and their is mini golf across the street.

4 trips as a kid.2002-Westgate, 2004 -Hilton DTD, 2005 -Westgate, 2007 -Royal Sun DTD, 2008 Hilton DTD, April 2011 -Swan, Dec 2011-Dolphin/ Yacht Club , Feb 2012 -Solo@Swan , April 2012-Dolphin with our friends, june/july 2012 - Beach Club
Couchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:52 PM   #11
minniegirl19
Mouseketeer

port orleans doesn't offer free dining… i would look into one of the mods (CBR CS) for your dates and see if they have rooms available with the free dining plan! just a thought
1995 All Stars, 1997 All Stars, 1998 Polynesian ,1999 Port Orleans Riverside, 2000 All Stars, 2001 All Stars, 2002 Polynesian, 2003 All Stars/ Swan and Dolphin, 2004 All Stars, 2005 Polynesian, 2011 All Stars, 2012 Disney College Program, 2012 All Stars, 2013 Pop Century, Disneyland May 2013, August 2013 Art of Animation, August 2014 Wilderness Lodge
minniegirl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:11 AM   #12
boltfan
DIS Veteran

From my experience, there are more children at the Disney resorts, and the Swan and Dolphin are more for adults. There are kids there, but it just seems like there are less. So if you're looking for a more "adult" or romantic resort, I'd go with the Swan or Dolphin.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: