Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2014, 10:49 PM   #16
bksaffle
Mouseketeer

Your trip report absolutely cracks me up. We went on the May 24th Alaska Cruise, we too stayed at the Hyatt Regency (our room was also facing the same side of the hotel as yours), took the Hop On/Off Trolley tour, we also have 11 year old twins. And so MANY of the same pictures you took, we also took.

Another thing we are a Star Wars/Disney family as well. You want a good laugh??? Go to the website http://boredshorts.tv/ and watch the Cantina Scene, it is hilarious.
DVC Member since 2006; DisneyWorld: 2/01,6/04,2/07,2/08,1/09,11/09,10/11,11/13;DisneyParis:9/10Disneyland:Annual Passholders; DCL Cruises: Magic Eastern-2/08,Magic Mexican Riviera-5/08,Magic Eastern(St. Croix)-1/09,Magic Western-11/09,Magic Transatlantic-9/10,Dream Double Dip Bahamas-10/11,Fantasy Western-6/12,Fantasy Eastern-11/13,Wonder Alaska-5/24/2014,Magic Western-11/23/2014

Last edited by bksaffle; 06-18-2014 at 10:58 PM.
bksaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:06 PM   #17
shanhop
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bksaffle View Post
Your trip report absolutely cracks me up. We went on the May 24th Alaska Cruise, we too stayed at the Hyatt Regency (our room was also facing the same side of the hotel as yours), took the Hop On/Off Trolley tour, we also have 11 year old twins. And so MANY of the same pictures you took, we also took.
That's an insane amount of similarities! You'll have to point out the rest of them as I post.

Pop Century Sept 2007 (Trip Report on TGM)
Pop Century 11/28-12/6 2009 for the girls 7th birthday! Grandma and Grandpa , Sister, BIL and neice (4) came too.
Disney Magic Spring Break, March 2013 out of Galveston
Disney Wonder to Alaska, June 9th 2014 - TRIP REPORT
Disney Wonder from Galveston THANKSGIVING cruise with EVERYONE!
shanhop is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-19-2014, 08:06 AM   #18
DisneyFanDad
Earning My Ears

I was on the same cruise last week. I also went into that same shop and looked at those same star wars stormtrooper tribal art prints.

Hills Native Art was that store, and the URL for their website is on the bottom of the window underneath the prints (I'm still new to the boards and can't embed links into replies yet). Unframed it was like $195? My wife wouldn't let me get it. There are two versions of the print, one for the hero and one for the villain.
DisneyFanDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:35 AM   #19
shanhop
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFanDad View Post
I was on the same cruise last week. I also went into that same shop and looked at those same star wars stormtrooper tribal art prints.

Hills Native Art was that store, and the URL for their website is on the bottom of the window underneath the prints (I'm still new to the boards and can't embed links into replies yet). Unframed it was like $195? My wife wouldn't let me get it. There are two versions of the print, one for the hero and one for the villain.
Thanks for the info! We are going to come across them again later in Alaska, but the prints were part of the store owner's personal collection, and not for sale. They did have a C3PO, but we did not like it nearly as much. Apparently they are very hard to find these days. It was also about $200.

Pop Century 11/28-12/6 2009 for the girls 7th birthday! Grandma and Grandpa , Sister, BIL and neice (4) came too.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:38 AM   #20
sdjen
DIS Veteran

Thanks for taking the time to post. I am planning on about the same schedule for our cruise next summer. Enjoying the details and cannot wait to hear more.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:42 AM   #21
shanhop
Mouseketeer

Vancouver Day 2, Capilano Bridge

Vancouver Day 2, Capilano Bridge

It's Sunday (I have to remind myself that, because days of the week seem to no longer matter). I do not have detailed notes/write up for this day. So I guess I will have to let the pictures tell the story (warning, there are LOTS of pictures).

Capilano Suspension Bridge was tops on my list of things to do in Vancouver. I read about it in another trip report and fell in love.

Capilano is not a cheap activity. Adults are C$36 and children are C$12. I did read somewhere that they do have a AAA discount, and we did get 10% off the adult prices when we bought tickets at the gate.

Our morning - Up early (of course, we're still on Central time), breakfast at Tim Horton's (yummy), and went to wait for the Capilano shuttle just outside our hotel. Capilano opens at 8:30, but the first Capilano bus doesn't leave Canada Place until 9am. Since the bus is first come, first served, I wanted to be there early enough to get a spot on the first bus (8:45ish?)

There were actually two different bus/trolley folks here today. Our Trolley guy, and someone from the HOHO bus. Unfortunately, we were told that the first Capilano bus was completely full after picking up folks at Canada Place. BUMMER. I actually thought about walking to CP and picking up the bus there, but it seemed silly to add the extra walking to a walking heavy day when the bus was going to come right here. Now I know it would have been a good idea. Our Trolley host said that the next bus would be along in less than 30 minutes, probably earlier since they knew the first one was full.

Less than five minutes later, a bus pulls up, we're excited, but are told that it was bus #1, which we already knew was full. I'm not sure why it is stopping if A) it is full and B) We know it's full, but it is. My guess is it is 9:20 before we see our bus.

Writing this, I now realize I'm not sure if we met Mrs. M at this bus stop wait or our first one. Hmmmm. Doesn't matter that much!

The bus ride to Capilano took about 30 minutes. We did make at least one (but I think two) stops at other hotels before heading over there. It took us a long time to park the bus too (so many busses!). We bought our tickets, and headed in.

The first path to the bridge has a lot of historical information.

And photo spots

And totems. My girls were happily posing with everything, which is so unlike them!

I made a picture!

I missed getting a "pose like a totem" shot yesterday.

To give you a sense of scale....

THE BRIDGE! My girls are the third and fourth from the end.

My poor husband does not like heights. And just about everything to do here is on the other side of this bridge. That's why he wasn't in any of the early pictures. He was psyching himself up for this.

View of the river..

Pictures don't do it justice.

On our way up to the tree house!

Getting their scavenger hunt materials.

The girls had a scavenger hunt on this side of the bridge. When they took it back completed they got a pen.

I don't seem to have a picture (although I do remember taking one!), but there are spots for you to 'stamp' your map with the various pressure stamps throughout the park. If the kids turn this in, they get a certificate.

We are now on the elevated walkway part. Going tree to tree. it was great.

And getting crowded.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:43 AM   #22
shanhop
Mouseketeer

This is the land based trail...

Tree identification

Raptors on display (there was an owl too).

The big bridge is in the background.

Discussing the windstorm that knocked a HUGE tree onto the bridge, but didn't damage it. Interesting that they had to cut the tree off in small sections as the steel "stretched" and if you took it off all at once it would have acted like a sling shot, injuring who ever was doing the work.

The Treehouse path (that I showed you earlier), from the ground.

Time to go back!

This is the new cliff walk, on the starting side of the bridge.

Nature

The girls are desperately trying to find the last pressure stamp which is supposed to be in/near the gift shop (it's in a far back corner)

There's a pretty big gift shop, that I surprisingly purchased nothing at. I'm a Christmas ornament/patch person and they had neither. OK, they had ornaments, but they were generic Canada or Bear ones. Not interested.

They also had a couple of places to eat, but I was more interested in getting ourselves to Grouse Mountain, and knew we could eat there as well. We'd asked about transportation up to Grouse and were told there's a public bus stop right across the street. But we'd need exact change (I think it was $2.xx), and we had no Canadian money. We asked at the exit and she told us that she could not exchange US$ for C$ (even an even trade), but we could use our US$ at the food stand and get change (even, no exchange rate).

So the girls got popsicle and gelato.

And Scott dropped a $2 coin in the bushes and we spent some time retrieving it. And off we were to the bus stop. Scott had downloaded an app on his phone that told us we had about 7 minutes to wait. And we hopped on the bus. Scott dealt with the tickets (with a very nice bus driver who was patient with the tourists), and we were off. It was crowded, so we weren't sitting together. It was the girls' first public bus ride. Come to think of it, yesterday was their first taxi ride. How dare I not have photographic evidence of this!!!

Our tickets were good for the return trip too, if we made it within in next 90 minutes (may have been slightly more than that). All I knew is that we were going to be at Grouse longer than that, so I didn't need to worry about it.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:18 PM   #23
tiarasandcrowns
Mouseketeer

How much time did you spend at Capillano Suspension bridge? I am wondering as we arrive there on Sunday if we can do both Capillano and Grouse or just one of them. TIA
tiarasandcrowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:28 PM   #24
shanhop
Mouseketeer

Vancouver Day 2, Grouse Mountain

Timing
According to the time stamp on the pictures,
  • we got to Capilano about 9:30
  • left just after noon.
  • we got to Grouse Mountain at 12:10
  • And left around 4:40 (to catch the last bust at 5pm)

I'll cover my thoughts on timing at the end of this day. I don't think we did the right thing.

Grouse Mountain
Grouse Mountain
is a ski hill. Obviously we would not being skiing today!

Prices - base price, aka Alpine package includes "round-trip Skyride and access to plateau activities, including visits with our resident grizzly bears, lumberjack show and the new disc golf course." $42 Adult, $14 Child, $24 Youth (13-18) $110 family (two adults and two children or youth).

Peak Package adds the chair lift, and is $46 Adult, $14 Child, $28 Youth, $118 family.

Ultimate includes the chair lift in Peak, and the Eye of the Wind... I'll get to that. $56 adult, $14 Child, $38 Youth, $138 Family.

We bought Ultimate tickets, in part because the kids really didn't cost any extra to add those two things.

There are also zip lines, helicopter rides, paragliding, that all cost extra, and need to be scheduled.

After you buy your tickets, you get in one of these:

They hold a whole bunch of people (we'll find that out on the way down), and there are two cars that travel at the same time. They always pass right in the middle.

There are benches at the ends.

The dam that forms the lake

Close-up of dam

We got to the top and were in need of food! I knew there was a BBQ place, but we are from Texas. Canadian BBQ, may be good, but why take the chance If I'd realized that Lupin's Cafe, was quick service and literally *RIGHT THERE*, I would have done that. But we did see was Altitudes Bistro. It was right in front of us, had a lovely view and seemed popular. So that's where we went.

View from the edge of the restaurant..

Hot Chocolate! (you can see the cables for the SkyRide)

The girls had kids chicken strips and a cheeseburger (according to them, I wrote nothing down this day). I had the Beef Dip, and I'm unsure what Scott had. The food was good, but service was slow. SO SLOW. It took a while to get our food, but the real problem was with the check. It must have been 20 minutes between when she dropped the bill on the table (the girls and I left to use the restroom) and when Scott finally got up and went to the hostess stand and had them ring it up (which they weren't set up for either). I have no idea where the waitress disappeared to. It was after 1:30 by the time we were done.

But the views were WONDERFUL. While we were sitting there, there was a mini-front that blew in. We watched clouds/fog cause the mountain to disappear right in front of us. We were mildly concerned as the Eye of the Wind disappeared, and there's no point in going up if you don't have a view!

Off to explore! There was a lumber jack show at noon, 2:30 and 4:30. The 4:30 would end after the last bus, so 2:30 it is! There's not enough time to take the chairlift up and back and Eye of the Wind before 2:30, so we were just wandering before the show. The Birds in Motion had started at 1:30 (and was again 3:30 and 5:30), so we missed that.

Girls desperate to have their picture taken in front of SNOW (up on the mountain)

Bears - Grinder and Coola

After checking out the bears, we went to grab seats for the Lumberhack Show. It was early, but we also wanted to get there before the Bird Show let out.

I decided we needed food too.
Beaver Tails. This is cinnamon sugar. Also available with fruit toppings (Americans - it's essentially an elephant ear )

Our Lumberjack (I do not remember their stage name, or their real names, sorry).

Audience participation!

It's a bunny!

It was a great show. Just the right amount of corny jokes. You could get pictures afterward, but we were seriously worried about time, so we passed and headed for the chairlift.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:41 PM   #25
shanhop
Mouseketeer

Vancouver Day 2, Grouse Mountain Part 2

Vancouver Day 2, Grouse Mountain Part 2

Chair lift...

Onward and upward to the chair lift! Another first for the girls, and I'm pretty sure me. I've done t-bars and rope tows, but never a lift before.

The girls so wanted to sled down this. Mind you no one had sleds. And there was no easy way to get there.

Finally, I let them play in the snow.

FYI - There are porta-potties up here.

And now for the big attraction! The EYE OF THE WIND!

I had assumed that the circular part on the outside went up and down for some reason, but that is not the case. There's an elevator in the middle that takes you up to the top. The elevators holds six people. I think it says 8, but we put 8 in it and it wouldn't go. When the elevator gets to you, grab it! We didn't and it went up without anyone in it. (Be nice when you get off too, and hold it for people).

Still at the bottom...

Oh look, it DOES have a glass bottom (at least for part of it). I swear I didn't know that Scott.

They are so excited waiting to go up.

At the top....
Lots of boats in the harbor, that's Stanley Park.

Stanley Park, and Canada Place is the while blob just right of center.

Zoomed in on Stanley Park and Lion's Gate Bridge

Canada Place

The views were awesome, but it's overcast and I'm shooting through glass, so the pictures don't do it justice

Back on land!

Old 06-19-2014, 09:20 PM   #26
shanhop
Mouseketeer

Vancouver Day 2, Grouse Mountain Part 3

Vancouver Day 2, Grouse Mountain Part 3

Chair lift...

And I'm just remembering that the camera was likely on 'mountain' mode for all of those shots... And now I turned it off.

More snow! (They are from Houston, it's a novelty)

Kate wanted to take pictures and caught a hanglider.

On the lift, watching #2 take off.....

The whole area... The green roofed building in the middle is the chalet with the restaurants and SkyRide back down. There's also a movie in there that we just didn't have time for.

Blue Grouse Lake

You literally go right over the bear habitat.

Not the chair lift we went up. I'd bet this was the bunny hill.

There were several carved trunks along the path.

We thought we'd have to take the public bus back to Capilano and catch the shuttle there, but Scott saw a flyer that said there was a bus from Grouse Mountain back to Canada Place. It wasn't going directly to the hotel, but I wanted to go to CP anyway to get the lay of the land for tomorrow and see the Olympic Torch. So going to CP would work for us. We thought it was hourly, and the last bus was at 5:30. It's also 1st come, 1st served and we were mildly concerned that it would fill up, so we headed towards the SkyRide as soon as we were done with the chair lift.

We walked right onto the SkyRide, but we were four of the last seven, and we were packed like sardines. We found the line for the bus, and found a bench. They actually gave us plastic cards as we arrived so we didn't have to stand in line, but had a guaranteed spot on the next bus. Very nice! My guess is that the previous bus had just left. We found a bench. Snapped some more pictures of the SkyRide....

And then it started to rain... not much, but rain.... And then the bus people handed out umbrellas! Not to keep, just to use, but a nice touch. The rain had stopped by the time the bus got there, and we headed down at about 5pm.

Once we got on we discovered that this bus also stopped at Capilano on the way down. We could have gotten off there. Since we were full or nearly so, and no one wanted off, we did not actually stop.

So here's my opinion...
You get so much more bang for your buck at Grouse Mountain. And we felt rushed for time. My suggestion would be that you take the bus from Canada Place directly to Grouse Mountain. Do all you want to do up there, and if you still have time/energy then stop at Capilano on the way back down. Capilano was nice, but Grouse was better.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:40 PM   #27
shanhop
Mouseketeer

Vancouver Day 2, Canada Place

Vancouver Day 2, Canada Place
We got off the bus, and walked toward the Olympic torch.

Then nice tourist took our picture in front of the "Digital Orca"

The floating Chevron and Stanley Park from this side...

Tourist shop...

Scott is checking out menus. First place was apparently a bar, and you can't take kids in at all.
We ended up at Bellaggio Cafe. We ate outside. The girls ordered kid's pizza. Scott had something and a beer. I made the mistake of ordering a pizza for myself. I really should have just waited and seen how big the girls pizas were (pretty big!) and eaten what they didn't. We took a lot of food back to the hotel with us, and it wasn't inexpensive.

Out of focus... (note to self, teach children how to REALLY use DSLR camera) But you can sort of see how sunburned my chest is. I did put sunscreen on my face, but apparently missed other key areas. It's not a vacation if I'm not sunburned.

Fish or Bunny? It was YUMMY!

The kids meal came with ice cream, and their hefty sized sundaes came served in tea cups. I can't believe I don't have a picture. We walked back to the hotel, and were back by 7pm. Showers for the girls, wifi in the lobby for me.

It was sometime on the way home from Grouse Mountain that I realized we had not use our second day of Trolley passes. I had the grand idea that we could use them tomorrow (Monday, Embarkation Day). We could get up, pack, and catch the first bus to Stanley Park. We could get off at Prospect Point (which we haven't seen yet), take 20 minutes to see everything, and catch the next Trolley back. I think I estimated we'd get back to the hotel by 11:30. I thought this was a wonderful idea. I even went to the desk and arranged for late checkout.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:45 PM   #28
shanhop
Mouseketeer

Hotel Elevators

Hotel Elevators

These elevators are so neat they get their own post!

There were no up/down arrows at any floor, but there were two pads at either end of the elevator banks.

You selected the floor you wanted to go to, and it told you which elevator to get on.

Horrible picture... but when you got in the elevator, it told you which floors had been selected. There were no floor buttons in the elevator either.

Very neat and efficient.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:32 AM   #29
Danalynn227
Earning My Ears

Those are TK Elevators I believe. We have them at out regional hq
Danalynn227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:50 AM   #30
KristiMc
DIS Veteran

Great update! I think we are going to have to fly in on Saturday next year so that we can do some of these things. What a fun day.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: