Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2014, 06:42 PM   #16
lauralynn0612
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Great day at DHS!
Weren't the fireworks fantastic?!
The fireworks were totally cool! So fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker326 View Post
Looks like you had a blast at Star Wars Day!

I love Donald as a Storm Trooper! Very cool!

We are almost on the cruise!
We really enjoyed Star Wars Weekend. It was not as busy as I was expecting. We really only noticed the crowds after the parade. And the characters dressed up in Star Wars were too cool. Donald was the only one that came our way. The others went to the other side of the stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur92 View Post
can't wait for more on your trip.
Thanks for joining!
lauralynn0612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:15 PM   #17
Tinker326
DIS Veteran

Oh, where to start commenting?

Love seeing those blue/green shirts! I still love mine and have worn it quite frequently.

I had those truffles too & they still remain one of my favorite food items of the cruise.

I also had the Drink of the Day and I think it was my favorite drink of the trip. So good.

We got a pretty good spot for sail-away. Got some good pics of the characters dancing.

Fun, fun, fun reliving the first day on the ship. Although you are moving much faster than me with my trip report!
Tinker326 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-22-2014, 05:21 PM   #18
lauralynn0612
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Oh, where to start commenting?

Love seeing those blue/green shirts! I still love mine and have worn it quite frequently.

I had those truffles too & they still remain one of my favorite food items of the cruise.

I also had the Drink of the Day and I think it was my favorite drink of the trip. So good.

We got a pretty good spot for sail-away. Got some good pics of the characters dancing.

Fun, fun, fun reliving the first day on the ship. Although you are moving much faster than me with my trip report!
Definitely love the shirts! And I only moved that fast for that post. Hoping to find time to do Day 2 tonight! Now over to catch up on your report!
Old 06-22-2014, 07:13 PM   #19
lauralynn0612
Mouseketeer

Day 2: Sea Day

Day 2, Part 1: Sea Day & Palo

Day 2, Sunday, was to be the first of our three sea days. Our previous cruise only had two sea days and had four different port stops instead. A number of people love having three sea days, but I determined I am more of a "port" cruiser. One problem may have been that two of the sea days were right up front. But I digress...

This first sea day we had booked Palo brunch for 10:00am. I did not book any adult dinners because I wanted to experience all of the dining rotations and menus. I had read lots of great things about Palo brunch, though, so I booked it. It helps that it involves two of my favorite things: eating and breakfast. As first-time cruisers, we could not book until 75 days out. By that time, there were pretty slim pickings for Palo brunch, and that was even at 11:00pm Central - as soon as we could start booking. However, the first day ended up being the perfect day to do it. We had not yet eaten our weight in cruise food and were still excited at the prospect of food.

We headed up to Palo about 10 minutes before our reservation. Because I am such an early riser, I had been to Cabana's for a muffin and fruit earlier that morning, but I was definitely ready for some food. Our table was situated right by a window so we had a great view of the ocean. Sergio from Montenegro was our server.

The view:

While we were eating, we passed by Cuba. That was pretty neat. My mom had also spotted some strange object in the distance. First, she was convinced it was an island. Then maybe another cruise ship. It ended up just being a barge pulled by a tug boat. My mom lost interest, but my dad and Tyler became more interested in why a tug boat was pulling a barge across the ocean.

But really, I know that isn't why you are here. To hear about tug boats and barges and Cuba off in the distance. So on to the food. When we arrived, there was one other couple in the restaurant so Sergio took his time walking us through the buffet and giving his suggestions on how to order and the timing of what we select. It was pretty helpful, but I was dying checking out all that tasty food. Fortunately and unfortunately, I left my camera at the table and did not take pictures of all the buffet displays. I thought I should try to be somewhat sophisticated. Now I really wish I hadn't been so sophisticated. Next time...

My antipasti plate. The shrimp was delicious:

Tyler's Bloody Mary shot:

Tyler's antipasti plate. The tuna on the bottom of the picture was extremely tasty.

Tyler and I. He opted for the mimosa as his complimentary drink while I went with the bellini. I really liked the bellini.

Next up was my bread/sweets plate. The sticky bun was fantastic. I highly recommend it. I had read several reviews recommending the almond croissant so I tried it. It really was not my favorite, but to each his own. The fruit and whipped cream on top was very tasty:

For the pizza course, we did a half-and-half one. No, I promise there wasn't any creamer. (Sorry, excuse my poor attempt at humor.) Tyler wanted the Italian sausage pizza, and I wanted the grape and gorgonzola pizza. I was so excited for the grape pizza that I almost forgot to take a picture. It was life-changing. Honestly. No exaggerating. It was so good that I forgot to take a picture of the Italian sausage pizza.

For my entree, I ordered the chicken parm. It lived up to the hype. I really liked it. My mom almost liked the risotto underneath best.

Tyler chose the eggs benedict. He seemed to enjoy it. I didn't ask. I was too focused on my chicken parm.

Sergio insisted on the fried mozzarella. I think this is a thing because I stopped to chat with some friends on the way out, and their server had the same spiel. It was just meh for me. Wasn't worth the very limited stomach space I had left.

I was beyond stuffed at this point so I managed to miss pictures of any desserts I chose to eat. The only one I remembered eating was a mango mousse cream type thing, and that is only because my dad kept going on and on about it. (He said it was really creamy, like ice cream. It tasted nothing like ice cream, but that was apparently the creamiest food that came to mind.) It was pretty tasty and really took up no room in my overstuffed stomach. Very light and airy... and creamy. Haha

Soon enough, Sergio brought the ticket. We LOVED Palo brunch and would certainly choose to do it again. I did not get to try everything on the buffet, and they had a ton of entree offerings that I would like to sample. A number of people we cruised with raved about the lasagna post-cruise on our page.

We snapped a few pictures on the way out. A table nestled away in a cozy nook and the "spaghetti and sauce" themed light fixture.

Our little group:

Like I said, loved Palo. Considering what I have been known to pay for gourmet brunches at home, the price was very reasonable. The whole brunch experience lasted about two hours.

I waddled back to the room and took a brief break before changing into my swim suit for some Aquaduck and deck time.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:54 PM   #20
ktb2002
DIS Veteran

Lol yay I think I got a mention in the trip report..... As the some friends you visited with leaving Palo!!! Oh well and I know for sure I'm one of the crazy "we used to talk about weight loss" ladies!

Wonder 12/21/08, Dream 03/27/12, Fantasy 07/14/12, Dream 10/07/12, Dream 10/11/12, Fantasy 05/25/13, Magic 12/22/13, Magic 12/27/13, Magic 12/30/13, Fantasy 05/31/14
ktb2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:20 AM   #21
Tinker326
DIS Veteran

We did Palo brunch too. We might have had Sergio too. I can't remember his name. And he most definitely pushed those mozzarella things on us. What is up with that?

OMG- it just came to me. They put crack in them. So you rebook on board. Duh.

I took pics of the buffets..so when I post my stuff you can steal my pictures. Although I skipped the seafood stuff since I don't do seafood stuff.

Also I did the Chicken Parm and thought it was very good.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:07 PM   #22
lauralynn0612
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktb2002 View Post
Lol yay I think I got a mention in the trip report..... As the some friends you visited with leaving Palo!!! Oh well and I know for sure I'm one of the crazy "we used to talk about weight loss" ladies!
Yes! You did make the trip report as my friends I talked to! We had such a great trip.

Quote:
We did Palo brunch too. We might have had Sergio too. I can't remember his name. And he most definitely pushed those mozzarella things on us. What is up with that?

OMG- it just came to me. They put crack in them. So you rebook on board. Duh.

I took pics of the buffets..so when I post my stuff you can steal my pictures. Although I skipped the seafood stuff since I don't do seafood stuff.

Also I did the Chicken Parm and thought it was very good.
Crack has got to be the answer because we rebooked! Haha. As discussed on our board, though, Tyler was extremely disappointed that the Wonder's New Year's cruise was a) a black out date, and b) outside the 18-month window anyway. Darn those 18-month windows.

I will be anxiously awaiting pictures to steal! So great having cruising friends to help complete my scrapbook!
Old 06-24-2014, 03:18 PM   #23
mae5731
Mouseketeer

I have a half grape gorgonzola half sausage pic for you. It's from the last sea day, but I'm sure the looks didn't change too much over the course of the cruise

Old 06-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #24
mae5731
Mouseketeer

Oh and I derailed and hit post before commenting about the Black Truffle Pasta Purseittes. I may have ordered a double order They could have saved a dish and piled them all in one. But no, just the start of several occasions that I had more than one plate in front of me
Old 06-24-2014, 03:59 PM   #25
DWGal210
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a fun vacation! Can't wait to follow along.

Those pursettes are the BOMB. SO GOOD. I am seriously thinking of bribing my server in September to see if I can get those sent to my room. (Just kidding...kind of...)

Palo is one of my favorites and brunch is the best. I really like dinner too but brunch is something special, for sure. That grape pizza is delightful! I'm super bummed they don't have brunch on the 3 night cruises (without a sea day), I wish they would.

DWGal210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:54 AM   #26
Tinker326
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae5731 View Post
Oh and I derailed and hit post before commenting about the Black Truffle Pasta Purseittes. I may have ordered a double order They could have saved a dish and piled them all in one. But no, just the start of several occasions that I had more than one plate in front of me
They were so, so, so good!

I think my favorite 'dish' of the entire cruise!
Old 06-25-2014, 01:27 PM   #27
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Your update has made me HUNGRY!!
I honestly think that the brunch at Palo tops the dinner - that said the dinner is amazing as well
Love the group shot at the end - you all look very sophisticated :-)
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:21 PM   #28
mae5731
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Your update has made me HUNGRY!!
I honestly think that the brunch at Palo tops the dinner - that said the dinner is amazing as well
Love the group shot at the end - you all look very sophisticated :-)

This made me Sophisticated? As opposed to hubby putting a tattoo on his rear???
Old 06-29-2014, 03:29 PM   #29
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Quote:
This made me Sophisticated? As opposed to hubby putting a tattoo on his rear???
Ha!
Pirate tattoos are the height of sophistication! ;-)
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:22 AM   #30
lauralynn0612
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I have a half grape gorgonzola half sausage pic for you. It's from the last sea day, but I'm sure the looks didn't change too much over the course of the cruise

YES! Just the picture I needed for when I scrapbook this cruise five years from now!

Quote:
I really should have tried out the "ask for anything, and they'll bring it trick" because these little guys could have just floated me on through the cruise.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: