Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2014, 07:39 PM   #16
Dixiemom
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your input immensely. We have stayed at Pop, CSR and POR and enjoyed them all. Originally, I was thinking we would give CBR a try, especially since the beds are being upgraded to queens, but now I am not sure. I have to say that park proximity isn't that big a consideration to me as we always drive to them with the exception of MK. My daughter is having a fit to stay at AKL but truth be told, I would love to try the Contemporary. I know I have plenty of time to decide but would really like to have a resort nailed down. By the way, I would also love Beach Club, and yes, SAB is a big part of that.

Lynn, mom of 2

DS 14, DD 9
Dixiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:03 PM   #17
Angieandsteve
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixiemom View Post
Already trying to plan for next summers trip and would love opinions regarding resorts. Deciding between a preferred room at a moderate resort or standard at deluxe. On a fairly tight budget but not considering a value (though we loved Pop) this time. Would love suggestions and opinions.
We stayed at POR last summer and with the exception of the bus service we really liked it. We just stayed at Poly 2 weeks ago and even with construction, which really did not negatively impact our trip at all, we absolutely loved it. If I could think of a stronger word for love right now I would use it! I always thought people were crazy loving deluxe so much but I totally see it now. The location was absolutely incredible and such easy and quick access to the monorail cannot be beat. I cannot imagine myself doing anything but deluxe going forward and I would be shocked if we didn't pick Poly although I am interested in trying the Contemporary too. Our standard view was pretty cool to us as well. We looked out and saw the monorail. It was great. So, my vote is pick deluxe but accept that you might never want to go back to anything but deluxe if you return!
Angieandsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2014, 10:21 PM   #18
DanInMN
Mouseketeer

I just checked on late September 2014 in WL vs POR. Room-only at WL is nearly double the cost of POR. Deluxe may be nice, but it is too expensive for me.
DanInMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:31 AM   #19
Dixiemom
DIS Veteran

Dansdad, That's kinda what I am seeing........I do have time to try and save a little more that what I already know I will have to budget, but I still have trouble wrapping my head around paying more for a resort than for other things that money could go toward during our stay. A few years ago when money wasn't such an issue and I was married (that second income came in handy!), we booked 2 preferred rooms at CSR for very little over that one room at WL was going to be. Now, since it is just me and the kids I am almost of the "I don't care where we stay as much, as long as we are there!" kind of mindset......

Lynn, mom of 2

DS 14, DD 9
Old 06-15-2014, 10:42 AM   #20
mort1331
Mouseketeer

Why not stay at a deluxe for a moderate price? There are a few very good DVC rental companies out there. One is even a sponser on these boards, Daves. You can get the room, buy your tickets from UT and if you wanted the DP then you can still get.(not for free though) Its a great way.
mort1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:11 AM   #21
Dixiemom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mort1331 View Post
Why not stay at a deluxe for a moderate price? There are a few very good DVC rental companies out there. One is even a sponser on these boards, Daves. You can get the room, buy your tickets from UT and if you wanted the DP then you can still get.(not for free though) Its a great way.
Have actually thought about this.......need to figure out how it all works.

Lynn, mom of 2

DS 14, DD 9
Old 06-15-2014, 12:57 PM   #22
patty57
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mort1331 View Post
Agree that renting points makes staying at the deluxe villas a much more attractive option with regards to price. Just know that there are restrictions as far as cancelling and there isn't mousekeeping every day if that is important to you. Another great option for deluxe at moderate prices is the Swan & Dolphin. I think someone already mentioned that earlier in the thread.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:16 PM   #23
stephm0188
Mouseketeer

The location of the resort is more important to me than the location of a room, so I'd choose deluxe in your scenario. We've stayed at all levels and really think the location of a deluxe resort is well worth it if it is in the budget.
stephm0188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:20 PM   #24
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Also, just to put it out there:

The Swan and Dolphin offer great rates for nurses, members of the military and teachers. http://www.swandolphin.com/offers/index.html

You can get a Deluxe room for the price of a moderate if you qualify.

numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:47 AM   #25
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Depends on what you are looking for. We eat at the resort food court quite a bit and the deluxe resorts are lacking in that department, so we prefer mods there. On longer trips where we build in time for relaxing, we like the balcony/patio at the deluxe resorts. Other than that, not much difference for us so we go the moderate route to save some money.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:19 AM   #26
lahobbs4
Earning My Ears

Another for the deluxe! We utilize our balconies a lot, especially for morning coffee and while the kids are inside napping.
lahobbs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:22 AM   #27
Dixiemom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
Depends on what you are looking for. We eat at the resort food court quite a bit and the deluxe resorts are lacking in that department, so we prefer mods there. On longer trips where we build in time for relaxing, we like the balcony/patio at the deluxe resorts. Other than that, not much difference for us so we go the moderate route to save some money.
Good points! Although I suspect I will consider changing over and over, I seem to keep leaning towards CBR preferred room. The queen beds being added and the new decor score points with me. Just realized that would be our third moderate stay. Slowly picking them off one by one.

Lynn, mom of 2

DS 14, DD 9

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: