Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2014, 01:28 PM   #1
Dixiemom
DIS Veteran

Moderate preferred or deluxe standard?

Already trying to plan for next summers trip and would love opinions regarding resorts. Deciding between a preferred room at a moderate resort or standard at deluxe. On a fairly tight budget but not considering a value (though we loved Pop) this time. Would love suggestions and opinions.

Lynn, mom of 2

DS 14, DD 9
Dixiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:38 PM   #2
patty57
DIS Veteran

What I like best about the deluxe resorts are the locations...particularly the Epcot resorts. I like having the option to walk to two parks. If I can walk to a park, that means more to me than anything a moderate resort can offer.
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2014, 01:39 PM   #3
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixiemom View Post
Already trying to plan for next summers trip and would love opinions regarding resorts. Deciding between a preferred room at a moderate resort or standard at deluxe. On a fairly tight budget but not considering a value (though we loved Pop) this time. Would love suggestions and opinions.
My choice would be a standard room at a deluxe. We have stayed at one mod and while we loved the resort and had a great time, the deluxe resorts are a better fit for the way we vacation. We spend more time at the resort than we do the parks, so the resort is a big part of our trips. We like the larger rooms, variety of TS options, and being close to at least one park (we prefer the monorail resorts/area). We have enjoyed all of our trips equally, regardless of the resort, but we do prefer the deluxe resorts for the extra amenities.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:01 PM   #4
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

I'd also pick the deluxe standard room. The room will be nicer than the moderate and the whole resort is a nicer experience.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:25 PM   #5
disney meema
DIS Veteran

I'd go with a standard room at a deluxe resort : )
disney meema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:26 PM   #6
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

See I'm kinda the opposite. The difference between mod and deluxe is (usually) HUGE price wise so paying more for a crappy view annoys me. (Especially AKL no way would I stay standard there).

I'm not opposed standards themselves as most rooms are pretty typical on the inside, but for me I'd take a preferred mod over standard deluxe any day and save the money.

I tend to not care about view so most of my trips have been mod or value so I'm kind of biased that way, but my last Deluxe trip and my upcoming one are both with my mom and she likes deluxe better, So as a compromise I'm paying for the 'standard' room but she paid the difference to make it a room with a view. It was only about $160 so I'd say to at least look at an upgrade and then decide based on those prices.

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:42 PM   #7
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

The difference between "standard view" and "garden view", at least at the Beach and Yacht Clubs, is about $10 per night. I imagine the same is true at some or all of the other deluxes.

So if the view really is part of the equation, I vote for a Garden View at a Deluxe. The combination of great locations and wonderful amenities make the Deluxes a perfect fit for my family.

Oh, and show your kids pictures of Stormalong Bay at the BC/ YC... I bet they make the decision easy for you, particularly for a summer trip.

numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:45 PM   #8
GovieMom
DIS Veteran

For the same money, I'd rather have a view-less room at a deluxe than one at a moderate with a great view, for location alone. The rooms are a good bit larger at the deluxes, except for AKL and WL (which are probably the two closest to the moderate's price range).
GovieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:09 PM   #9
Babsy
DIS Veteran

It really depends upon budget for me. I book the best that I can have on budget. So, a deluxe always wins over a mod regardless of room view. Location is key. Once budget determines category, I look at room view prices and decide what will work for us in which resort.

So, standard view deluxe would be my choice. If I were close to a mod budget, I would look at the Swan/Dolphin and Wilderness Lodge and AnimalKingdomLodge.

Good luck!
Old 06-14-2014, 03:21 PM   #10
andyman8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc View Post
The difference between "standard view" and "garden view", at least at the Beach and Yacht Clubs, is about $10 per night. I imagine the same is true at some or all of the other deluxes.
This is also marketing in addition actual view. Yes the views are different (parking lot versus landscaping) but because those hotels don't have too many parking views, those rooms quickly sell out forcing any guest wanting to stay at the hotel to pay for the more expensive garden view but Disney can still advertise the rate for the small group of standard rooms as the hotel's "starting rate". It's weird.

Back to the OP's question, I'd do a deluxe in a heartbeat. May I recommend WL due to its convenience to MK, great theming, and low price. I also like the suggestion of the Epcot resorts. As much as I love the other MK resorts (especially the GF), the price is a pretty big jump from a preferred room at a moderate.
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
andyman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:28 PM   #11
mousegear
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixiemom View Post
I would definitely pick standard room at deluxe over preferred room at moderate. We are spoiled and love the deluxe.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:47 PM   #12
vettegirl
Proud USAF Wife!

I would always go with a deluxe over a moderate and would not care what the view was
Old 06-14-2014, 05:38 PM   #13
Lisa71
Adoption Rocks!

We are in a standard room at the BWI now and have stayed standard at WL and BCV...love it here and WL would be second!!! Deluxe all the way !!!
Old 06-14-2014, 06:16 PM   #14
Ceryssa
Mouseketeer

If I could afford it I'd pick Deluxe every time. View isn't important to our family so that wouldn't be an issue for us, but the larger room and nicer amenities would definitely make it my choice.
Ceryssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:41 PM   #15
tinkerbella16
DIS Veteran

I would do standard deluxe only if I could afford it also. I'm a lover of Port Orleans so of course that is what I go for. The cost to jump from value to moderate is not much more, whereas the cost to jump from mod to deluxe is huge IMO. I wish I could stay at a deluxe resort but man when I price a vacation at a deluxe on the disney site, my stomach hurts looking at the price i'd pay compared to what I'd save just staying at a moderate. We don't spend a ton of time in the room anyway.. just to sleep, shower and rest. It all comes down to personal preference.

When we go in November, my sister, BIL and I are staying at POFQ w/free dining and our parents are staying at Beach Club garden view w/free dining. My mom has been dying to stay at the BC so they are finally doing it. What it costs them to stay for 6 nights with park hoppers, I could stay at POFQ for 2 whole weeks! So that is my thinking of it.

Do what your gut tells you! They are all very nice resorts!

tinkerbella16 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: