Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2014, 11:38 AM   #1
disneyfav4ever
No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.

Opinions on Caribbean Beach

This year my family and I are staying at Pop Century, which we know and love, but next year my boyfriend and I are discussing staying at a moderate resort, and I've been comparing them and think Caribbean Beach might be the right choice for us. I was also looking at Port Orleans, but that seems to never be offered for free dining, and that would be when we try to go.

If you've stayed at Caribbean Beach resort before, how was it, and would you recommend it? TIA.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:55 AM   #2
elaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfav4ever View Post
This year my family and I are staying at Pop Century, which we know and love, but next year my boyfriend and I are discussing staying at a moderate resort, and I've been comparing them and think Caribbean Beach might be the right choice for us. I was also looking at Port Orleans, but that seems to never be offered for free dining, and that would be when we try to go.

If you've stayed at Caribbean Beach resort before, how was it, and would you recommend it? TIA.
POR is our favorite mod but CBR is awesome too .... I would definitly recommend it.
Small sections are currently undergoing refurb but seem to have little impact (Noise/disruption wise) to other sections/buildings. We stayed in the Matinique section back in late April.

Last edited by elaw; 06-15-2014 at 01:10 AM.
elaw is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2014, 12:13 PM   #3
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Our first onsite stay was at CBR and we loved everything about it. The resort is large and spread out, but we didn't mind it as the surroundings were beautiful and made for nice walks. We also thought the food court was great, the pool was nice, and the buses were quick and efficient. There are multiple bus stops within the resort, but we didn't find that to make much difference in the time getting to any of the parks, water parks, or DTD. We've only stayed at CBR once as we like trying different resorts, but we really enjoyed our stay and wouldn't hesitate to return.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:20 PM   #4
Disfan1968
Mouseketeer

One deciding factor for some folks is that CBR has two double beds standard, while POFQ and POR have two queen beds. If you are stuffing four into a room or some such thing like that, the queen beds can be helpful.
2014 Art of Animation.
Next Trip: Port Orleans Riverside- Summer 2015
Disfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:45 PM   #5
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disfan1968 View Post
One deciding factor for some folks is that CBR has two double beds standard, while POFQ and POR have two queen beds. If you are stuffing four into a room or some such thing like that, the queen beds can be helpful.
CBR is currently undergoing a refurb, with the double beds being replaced with queens. I'm not sure how long it's estimated to take, but if the OP is considering a stay for next year, there's a pretty good chance of it being completed by then (just my opinion).

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:33 PM   #6
WhoDat09
Earning My Ears

I would absolutely recommend CBR. We've stayed at POR, CBR, and CSR, as well as all of the value resorts. CBR is by far our favorite of all of the resorts.
WhoDat09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:41 PM   #7
grumpytx
Mouseketeer

We stayed there last December and are headed back this year. We are big fans of POFQ but as you stated they didn't offer free dining at the Port Orleans Resorts. We actually liked CBR despite the size. Transportation service was good, layout wasn't bad. Let's face it, you're at Disney you're going to do some walking.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:42 PM   #8
disney is my life
DIS Veteran

We stayed at Caribbean Beach in November with free dining. We went in not expecting much based on reviews I had read here but were pleasantly surprised! We were in Jamaica building 43. We were very close to the bus stop and the quiet pool but the main building was about a 7 minute walk from our room. The kids loved the quite pool because we had it to ourselves most of the time and it had a deep end. Also one night we were at the pool at night and we were able to see the fireworks from EPCOT (I'm assuming that's where they were from). We loved the food court and the rooms are nice. Overall we will definitely consider staying there again on a future trip!

November 2011-All Star Movies
March 2013-POP Century
November 2013-Caribbean Beach Resort
March 2015-Caribbean Beach Resort
disney is my life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:00 PM   #9
Gottahavemorecowbell
Earning My Ears

Caribbean Beach is a very nice resort. Our family loves it! We might give a slight edge to Port Orleans Riverside overall but that is really splitting hairs. The resort is beautiful for starters. The pool is fantastic. Quiet pools are nice too. The food court is good but not great. CBR often gets criticized for all of the walking that is required. We get it. CBR will inevitably have a fair amount of walking to do. However, we spend several full days in the parks and don't seem to be bothered by the extra walking then. The negativity in resort reviews goes a little too far at times regarding the walking aspect. We figure if we're going to Disney, we're going to be doing more walking than normal. The rooms are getting refurbished as well. IMO, what's not to like about CBR? We'll be back for the second time in just a few months.
Gottahavemorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:19 PM   #10
Disneymomma0783
Mouseketeer

We love CBR!! We stay in Jamaica 45 which is very close to the foot bridge and pathway through Caribbean cay to get to ole port royal and the main pool. There is also a quiet pool very close by. The last trip we did experience some not so great bus waits etc but I think that was due in part to FD and us being a little later up and out than normal. I would absolutely recommend CBR. We have stayed CSR before and are trying PORS and AKL this next trip to try something new. I know AKL is a totally different league but I fully expect CBR to hold the moderate resort key to my heart.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:30 PM   #11
Princess_Nikki
DIS Veteran

We LOVE CBR!!!! It is by FAR our most favorite resort, to date. We love the Caribbean vibe everywhere you go. If you are an "Island" person, you will totally get it and totally love it. They play Caribbean/Reggae music everywhere you go, I love that there are speakers in the trees. LOL. Only exception would be when the Resort Activities CM's do there thing at the large "Pirate" Pool. (It's not technically called that, but close enough)

The other thing about CBR we loved was that each location had its OWN bus stop. No having to walk to the "main" building to catch a bus.

We have always stayed POP as well, and really loved it, but for the price difference, CBR is a great value as a moderate!!

I would highly recommend perusing the CBR resort thread!
Old 06-14-2014, 08:16 PM   #12
Babsy
DIS Veteran

CBR is an awesome resort with a great pool, good food court, beautiful relaxing ambience. The rooms are getting refurbished with queen beds now so it will soon be up to par with all the other mods.

I agree that Jamaica 45 is a great area if you are staying in standard rooms (it was where we stayed and we loved it!). Buses were grey in our experience.

The mods are all pretty large except POFQ. We just book preferred if we are not willing to walk very much. Otherwise, we just take what comes. We have been happy with all the moderate resorts. POFQ is my least favourite. I'm not fond of the serpent pool and there is no TS dining, only a so so food court. I still enjoyed staying at POFQ, though.

The island theme of CBR really makes you feel like you are on vacation!
Old 06-14-2014, 09:39 PM   #13
snoopybabe
Mouseketeer

We loved CBR. The bus stop was very close by & they ran nicely. One evening we even had the bus to ourselves heading to MK. It really made us feel like we were on a tropical vacation
snoopybabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:05 AM   #14
DummbGiRL
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney is my life View Post
We stayed at Caribbean Beach in November with free dining. We went in not expecting much based on reviews I had read here but were pleasantly surprised! We were in Jamaica building 43. We were very close to the bus stop and the quiet pool but the main building was about a 7 minute walk from our room. The kids loved the quite pool because we had it to ourselves most of the time and it had a deep end. Also one night we were at the pool at night and we were able to see the fireworks from EPCOT (I'm assuming that's where they were from). We loved the food court and the rooms are nice. Overall we will definitely consider staying there again on a future trip!

* Dec 2007 - CBR * Nov 2010 - OKW * Sept 2011 - CSR, SOLO Trip * May 2013 - DL, offsite * Oct 2013 - YC, F&W weekend * Dec 2014 - BCV *

DummbGiRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:56 AM   #15
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

I would only stay at CBR again if I had a preferred room. My stay we were in Jamaica, and even though it is said to only be a short walk to the food court, when you are tired out from a full day in the parks, it is not a short enough walk. I used the pop machines instead of walking up front to fill my mug. And I am someone who is walking all day long at work, so I'm used to a bit of walking!

Also, to me the food court was just ok. I didn't like many of the offerings, so I had chicken nuggets multiple times. The food court at POR is worlds better, imho. Still that alone wouldn't keep me away from CBR. It is a very pretty resort, but I would definitely book a preferred room.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: