Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2014, 09:16 PM   #16
TheLodgeLady
Mouseketeer

Well, hello all! Glad to see you. Can't wait.

TheLodgeLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:48 AM   #17
MakiraMarlena
It's a big black fish to you

Yay festival!
MakiraMarlena is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-16-2014, 09:52 AM   #18
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

There were several issues with booking last year (not really going to get into the late release on the seminars, that wasn't so unusual) the first being the unexpected inclusion of the general admission for Party for the Senses, 3D Dessert Discovery, and 2 large special events in the World Showplace with the seminar advance bookings for AP, TIW and DVC members. You couldn't get any VIP or assigned seating this way - just general admission.

The second was the Disney Visa pre-booking. Which would have been fine had anyone involved bothered to explain (to us and to the cast members) that only limited spots at each event would be made available. Therefore you had a bazillion people calling in a day early with their VISA cards, only to be told that "everything is sold out" which since we didn't know it was limited availability, led to some guests thinking that all spots for certain events were sold out - for the entire festival. If you weren't talking to a reservationist within 45 minutes of calling in, then you didn't get anything on the Visa pre-book. If they do it again I am hoping we will be prepared.

Then came booking day. Not only did we have folks believing that some events had totally sold out the day before, when 7 AM rolled around it turned out that half the events hadn't loaded for booking. I don't think the cast members knew what was going on either, because if you called in and were one of the first through, you were being told that certain events were "sold out." Combine that with the confusion over the Disney Visa prebook and you had folks giving up on getting the events they wanted.

The result was that about 40 minutes after the booking opened at 7 eastern, the events that weren't previously showing on the CMs computers loaded. So if you called back, you would probably have been able to get your events unless they were really small events and you didn't know when to call back.

I know it took me three phone calls and at least 2 hours actually on the phone to get everything I was trying to book, and that was with a friend booking a French Regional for me because she happened to get through before I did.

We're going to see if we can fight through the Disney confusion this year, but the best I can say is, if they tell you that your event is sold out and that doesn't make any sense because you called in early, then think about calling back.

It was also of major assistance to monitor this thread, because as soon as folks started getting the blocked events, they posted.

I do kind of hope that we don't have to use the thread to thwart Disney IT this year, but if we do...then it's here.

I'm also interested in seeing if there will be any impact regarding Fastpass Plus because I just got back from Star Wars Weekend and you could fastpass the shows. I do not think they will have fastpass for anything that you have to pay for, though.

Last edited by TDC Nala; 06-16-2014 at 10:29 AM.
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:30 AM   #19
tkbk
Mouseketeer

Question - does anyone know if in the past there was a limit on how many tix you can buy for the various events at one time? The most we ever traveled with to f&w was four of us and this time there will be seven. I am normally the designated person to call in for my group, I am A DVC , AP and disney visa holder so I try to take advantage of any early booking offers. This will only be our fourth F&W fest trip.
Thanks in advance for any help on the answer to my question.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
6/2004 BWV, 4/15/2006 DCL, 6/26/07 - 7/5/07 BWV, 10/9/08 - 10/19/08 BWV, 10/31/09-11/11/09 SSR, DLR 1/15/10 - Club 33, 3/11-3/23/10 SSR,9/18-9/26/11 - AKV Kidani,10/30/11 -11/14/11 BWV.F&W Fest, MNSSHP & MVMCP
3/15-3/23/12 Grandkids trip! SSR 2 BR villa
9/26 - 10/8/12 BWV,4/5/-4/13/13 BWV,12/1-12/4/13 SSR, 1/30-2/8/14 SSR
10/29-11/15/14 BWV, F&W Fest, MNSSHP & MVMCP
tkbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:26 AM   #20
TheLodgeLady
Mouseketeer

Speaking of FP+

Do you think they will ever include the concerts in the FP+?
TheLodgeLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:40 AM   #21
TDC Nala
Diet Coke on Ice or Else

DISboards Moderator

Probably not. They didn't include the Flower Power concerts.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:29 AM   #22
Brocktoon
21st Century Schizoid Man

Not exactly huge news, but it looks like France will have a new 'La Passion Martini' slush for their F&W booth ...

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2014/0...wine-festival/

I'm a beer guy, but I have been known to down my share of Grand Marnier slushes in the past

Next Trip: Food & Wine Fest: 10/23 - 10/31 2014
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice

- Neil Peart
Brocktoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:54 PM   #23
Tarheel girl 1975
Supposed Former Fastpass Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocktoon View Post
Not exactly huge news, but it looks like France will have a new 'La Passion Martini' slush for their F&W booth ...

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2014/0...wine-festival/

I'm a beer guy, but I have been known to down my share of Grand Marnier slushes in the past
I'm lookig forward to trying that.
Previous Trips: 1990 Disneyland Hotel, 1991 Magic Music Days, 1996 Magic Music Days, Oct 2008 POP, May 2009 Poly, Sept. 2009 BWI, January 2011 CBR, Sept/Oct 2012 POR, Sept/Oct 2013 Beach Club, Sept/Oct 2014 POFQ and YC
Upcoming Trips: Oct 2015 POFQ

Tarheel girl 1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:55 PM   #24
kgsmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel girl 1975 View Post
I'm lookig forward to trying that.
I'll be in line right behind you.

(Actually, that might be true -- I just noticed your ticker. We'll be there at the same time.)

kgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:33 PM   #25
The Batgirl
Dreamfinder

Does anyone know when the official menus/booths will be announced? We are going the first week, and I can't wait to find out what will be there!
Old 06-17-2014, 05:59 PM   #26
DisneyRookie2007
DisDad Member #660

Does anybody have any links or suggestions for someone who has NEVER attended before?

DW and & are talking about a trip Sept 16-24 and I'd like to take this in - but know little to nothing about it.

How are the crowds generally the 1st week ?
2010 (Jan): POR
2012 (Mar): POP
DisneyRookie2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:42 PM   #27
Kalea
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRookie2007 View Post
Does anybody have any links or suggestions for someone who has NEVER attended before?

DW and & are talking about a trip Sept 16-24 and I'd like to take this in - but know little to nothing about it.

I can't comment on the first week.

Last year was our first F&W. Disneyfoodblog.com has reviews up for the last year's booths. That helped us narrow down a bit what we might like to try. Josh at easyWDW.com covers F&W as well.

We were fortunate to have MagicBands last year, which made F&W really easy. I didn't have to fumble with a wallet or a card; they just scanned my MB, and I walked away with food and booze.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:21 PM   #28
Stinky_Pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalea View Post
We were fortunate to have MagicBands last year, which made F&W really easy. I didn't have to fumble with a wallet or a card; they just scanned my MB, and I walked away with food and booze.
Last year was my first F&W in like a decade. Also my first visit with a magic band. I so loved the convenience of it at the booths! And now i'm addicted to F&W and am so excited to go back this year!

I don't think Argentina is going to be there with that meat on a stick that I loved so much. Hope Singapore is back with the chicken curry - I couldn't get enough of that. And the spicy beef at the Africa booth...
Stinky_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:11 AM   #29
TDC Nala
Diet Coke on Ice or Else

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batgirl View Post
Does anyone know when the official menus/booths will be announced? We are going the first week, and I can't wait to find out what will be there!
Sorry but we haven't the slightest idea. Used to be you would get events at the end of July, booths in August and you wouldn't get seminars/demonstrations until right before you could book them. but the festival starts a week earlier this year - so we don't have any idea. We don't even have a booking date yet. Stay tuned.

Quote:
The link to the Disney Food Blog in the first post will tell you all you need to know about last year's festival. However, they don't have anything more about this year than we have. As far as the crowds, avoid Friday evenings and Saturdays and if you can, stick to Monday-Thursday. Even those will get more crowded in the evening so start early.

Quote:
I don't think Argentina is going to be there with that meat on a stick that I loved so much.
It appears they will fold Argentina into the Patagonia booth this year.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:23 AM   #30
redzinner
Me Wants the Medianoche!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRookie2007 View Post

The DisneyFoodBlog is a good place to start. Lots of photos and facts. Not a Disney site but the author, AJ Wolfe has Disney's 'seal of approval'.

I think the crowds are pretty steady throughout the festival, with weekends being packed, shoulder to shoulder. Think 'street party' crowds.

We like to hit the World Showcase by 11 am to avoid the 5 o'clock hunger blitz, when guests from other parks start to visit the festival. I guess the locals come over for dinner bites too. The lines move pretty quickly, unless there is a glitch with the cash registers.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: