Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2014, 07:45 PM   #1
dawgsgirl
DIS Veteran

Empty Tables at BOG

We had lunch at BOG today. We arrived about 11:45 and used our FP+ with no trouble. The "guards" at the entrance were saying no more availability for the day. I immediately noticed that the restaurant was not near as crowded as my other visits and indeed there were many empty tables. What is up with this??
dawgsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:23 PM   #2
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker, Fairly-Good Sailing Master, Recently Ordained.

Several Valid Reasons:
1) Waitstaff is always on staggered-starts, so not enough SERVERS.
2) Kitchen staff is usually also on staggered starts.
3) Can't fill all the tables and expect the kitchen to keep up, must stagger the guests.
4) Plus, there might also be absenteeism that day, and not enough SERVERS.

NOTE: This is common practice at almost any eatery, anywhere.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-31-2014, 08:36 PM   #3
Aerinha
Mouseketeer

There were empty tables at dinner last night too
2014 (April): CL AKL
2014 (Oct): YC
2015: Poly (if all goes as planned)
Aerinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:45 PM   #4
missnic
Mouseketeer

This was our experience a few weeks ago as well. There were empty tables everywhere - not just empty, but dirty. We actually had to ask someone to clean off a table so we could sit down when our food arrived. We chalked it up to staffing issues and people not showing up for their fp+.

We never had that issue before fp+ was a thing here. The food was/is ALWAYS super fast though.
missnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 06:46 AM   #5
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Guest: I see you have empty tables, may we come in and dine?

Host: Sorry sir, we are full and have no availability.

Guest: I can see one third of your tables are empty

Host: Sorry, they are reserved for FP

Guest: But they are empty. Lots of them.

Host: The FP for dining system was designed by Disney IT, unfortunately. That results in situations like this all the time.

Guest: So may we come in and eat?

Host: Sorry sir, we're full.
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:37 AM   #6
castleofmist
Mouseketeer

When we dined there for dinner around 7:00 p.m. on a night in February 2014, we ate in the Rose Room, where there were many empty tables. I was sad to think there were several families who could have experienced BOG. If it is a matter of staffing, Disney needs to hire more staff.
2014/02 WDW POR - Me, DH, and DD - her first trip for bday 2014/02 WDW CB - Me and sisters - PHM 2014/01 DL Offsite - Me - break from business trip 2010/03 DL Offsite - Me, bro, and sis' family - more family fun 2009/12 WDW CS - Me, DH, and sis' family - first trip with child 2008/12 WDW WL - Me and BFF - Christmas cheer 2008/06 WDW WL - Me and DH - SWW 2007/09 WDW WL - Me, DH, FIL and BFF - MNSSHP and UT v. CFU 2006/12 WDW WL - Me and DH - more Christmas cheer 2005/01 DL GC - Me and DH - UT in Rose Bowl 2002/12 WDW WL - Me and DH - Christmas cheer 2000/06 WDW WL/DCL - Me and DH - Honeymoon 1994/04 WDW off site - HS band day at Epcot 1989/06 WDW off site - Family - new MGM 1985/06 WDW Poly - Family - first trip
castleofmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:26 AM   #7
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker, Fairly-Good Sailing Master, Recently Ordained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by castleofmist View Post
. . . If it is a matter of staffing, Disney needs to hire more staff.

More Staff = More Expense = Less Profit
Old 11-01-2014, 11:36 AM   #8
castleofmist
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
More Staff = More Expense = Less Profit
I agree, but if they could fill more tables with paying guests, wouldn't they do it? Granted, many of the guests are on the dining plan, so that may be the issue. I foresee BOG becoming a 2-credit meal in the near future.
2014/02 WDW POR - Me, DH, and DD - her first trip for bday 2014/02 WDW CB - Me and sisters - PHM 2014/01 DL Offsite - Me - break from business trip 2010/03 DL Offsite - Me, bro, and sis' family - more family fun 2009/12 WDW CS - Me, DH, and sis' family - first trip with child 2008/12 WDW WL - Me and BFF - Christmas cheer 2008/06 WDW WL - Me and DH - SWW 2007/09 WDW WL - Me, DH, FIL and BFF - MNSSHP and UT v. CFU 2006/12 WDW WL - Me and DH - more Christmas cheer 2005/01 DL GC - Me and DH - UT in Rose Bowl 2002/12 WDW WL - Me and DH - Christmas cheer 2000/06 WDW WL/DCL - Me and DH - Honeymoon 1994/04 WDW off site - HS band day at Epcot 1989/06 WDW off site - Family - new MGM 1985/06 WDW Poly - Family - first trip
castleofmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:22 PM   #9
KCMiller
Has decided she does not need anonymous approval, even if it does come from a fairy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by over50visits View Post
Guest: I see you have empty tables, may we come in and dine?

Host: Sorry sir, we are full and have no availability.

Guest: I can see one third of your tables are empty

Host: Sorry, they are reserved for FP

Guest: But they are empty. Lots of them.

Host: The FP for dining system was designed by Disney IT, unfortunately. That results in situations like this all the time.

Guest: So may we come in and eat?

Host: Sorry sir, we're full.
Well, at least that sad situation won't happen, since you can't actually SEE the inside of the restaurant unless you have a reservation.

KC

My DD was a Maid at Haunted Mansion , and then she was a Merchantainer at AK ! Hooray for the College Program!

My DS was a lifeguard at Blizzard Beach, and then a lifeguard at Caribbean Beach! Hooray for the College Program!
KCMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:25 PM   #10
MakiraMarlena
It's a big black fish to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by castleofmist View Post
I agree, but if they could fill more tables with paying guests, wouldn't they do it? Granted, many of the guests are on the dining plan, so that may be the issue. I foresee BOG becoming a 2-credit meal in the near future.
Staffing is one of the biggest expenses in running a business. Yes, they can save if they cut back on staff at the expense of having empty tables. Restaurants at WDW (at least the Disney operated ones) do not operate the same way as would an independent restaurant in the real world. The dining plan is just one part of that. Real world restaurants need as many tables filled as possible to keep operating, WDW restaurants don't have to worry about that.

I actually don't see it becoming 2 credits unless they add something like really upscale food (not just a 1 credit approximation of upscale food) or characters visiting tables.
MakiraMarlena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:28 PM   #11
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

I also think (at least at dinner time) it has to do with the fact that the dining rooms are used for QS at lunch and TS at dinner. I think that the QS times has a much higher capacity, so at dinner there are bound to be empty tables because the TS eater is not designed to handle as many guests (staffing, kitchen capacity, etc.).
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:27 PM   #12
tup1830
Mouseketeer

So if its not supposed to be full at lunch or dinner....when is it supposed to be full?
tup1830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:49 PM   #13
MakiraMarlena
It's a big black fish to you

"full" at a Disney restaurant is not going to mean the same as it would outside of Disney. "Full" means booked up to planned staffing levels. In a "real" restaurant if they didnt have enough staff to meet the restaurant demand they would hire more staff. At WDW, they subtract tables from inventory.
MakiraMarlena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:13 AM   #14
Mikie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakiraMarlena View Post
"full" at a Disney restaurant is not going to mean the same as it would outside of Disney. "Full" means booked up to planned staffing levels. In a "real" restaurant if they didnt have enough staff to meet the restaurant demand they would hire more staff. At WDW, they subtract tables from inventory.
I don't know.. . isn't that pretty much the same anywhere? I have eaten at many a restaurat where I had to wait along time for a table, while easily able to see several empty tables sitting there. Presumably, there is "space" but either not enough servers, or not enough cooks. Of course, Disney has the advantage of nearly always booking up with reservations, where my local O'Charley's doesn't always know a particular day will turn out so busy.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:49 PM   #15
tup1830
Mouseketeer

something about this just doesn't make sense.

in the summertime, i literally have to be ushered to a table because there just aren't enough tables at some quick service locations (cosmic rays, pecos bill)

Table service restaurants in MK like the Plaza, royal table, crystal palace have almost every table filled...and have no issue putting a group down if a table is empty.

If there is demand to eat at the restaurant, why would they choose to keep tables empty...because of lack of staff? Why do other restaurants get the staff but not their newest and arguably most popular?

it'd be a great waste of a restaurant if they "choose" to keep tables empty at both lunch and dinner...why build it out that big?
tup1830 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: