Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Chef Mickeys or California Grill?
Chef Mickey Breakfast!!! 4 22.22%
Cali Grill Dinner!!! 14 77.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old Yesterday, 10:02 PM   #1
DisneyFirstTimer10
DIS Veteran

Chef Mickeys OR Cali Grill?

We are staying at BLT during our next trip and I need help deciding which to go to.....

Chef Mickeys Breakfast or Cali Grill for Dinner
Not on dining plan

The Kids would have fun at Chef Mickeys- they love eating breakfast and it'll be so nice to be able to wake up and walk over to the restaurant before we head to MK. We've been there once before during our first trip when the kids were younger and they dont remember it at all. DH and I however remember it as crowded and basic breakfast food.

California Grill has always appealed to us. DH loves sushi! The kids would enjoy it, but it wouldnt be the highlight of their trip. I think the view would be incredible but since we are staying at BLT and are DVC members we can also watch the fireworks from the TOTW lounge. We would mostly be going for the food- is it worth it?

Allison, David (DH), DS (8), DD (5)

POR-May 2010, OKW- Feb 2011, OKW/AOA- Oct 2013, BLT/AKV-May 2015- First trip as DVC members
DisneyFirstTimer10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:11 PM   #2
jen2207
Mouseketeer

Contempo cafe offers a nice breakfast pre-park. My kids love Cali grill kids sushi dessert. (Rice Krispies and fruit roll ups)

me; dh, ds 13, dd 11, dd 8, ds 3
DVC Member - AKL
SSR 9/20 - 9/27/08
AKL 10/8 -10/18/09
SSR 10/29/10 - 11/5/10
BLT 3/31-4/4/12
AKL 3/20 - 3/22/14
BLT 3/29 - 4/2/14
jen2207 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old Today, 02:26 AM   #3
MulanMom
DIS Veteran

I voted for Chef Mickey's based on your kids' ages. California Grill is much better, but essentially a different class of restaurant. CM is all about the kids. The last time we were there a few years ago, it was full but didn't seem crowded. And, if you are staying at BLT, you'll be walking through the Contemporary to get to the monorail. Chef Mickey's is on that floor. It'll be difficult for them to put it out of their minds!

Top of the World is awesome!

I'm sure you'll have a great time no matter what you decide to do!
MulanMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:47 AM   #4
goofy4prez
DIS Dads Club Member #484
I hate the Steelers & Ravens like a mother loves a child!!!!

Going to Chef Mickeys over Cali Grill is sure taking one for the team; but then again, as I am now experiencing with my DD(17), they are not going to be kids for long. As much as I dislike CM and it's overpriced, less than average quality, made for the masses buffet food slapped on a steam table; Based on your situation I would endure the food, smile for the kids and watch the magic in their eyes as Mickey, Minnie and company make their rounds to your table.

Achieved (6-10-12) and maintaining weight lost goal of 115 LBS.From 267 lbs to 152 lbs
goofy4prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:12 AM   #5
Coconuts
DIS Veteran

Comparing apples and oranges here.

I think CM is great fun for kids, even though it's crowded and loud with mediocre food. Based on your kids ages, they would probably love it.

CG is much better food but pricey. My kids enjoyed their meals, especially the desserts. They loved the fireworks view, but we didn't stay at BLT so we didn't have that view every night.

Considering that you can view the fireworks at BLT, I would save the extra money and sacrifice the better food at CG, and do CM while your kids are still young and will enjoy it. Hope this helps.
Old Today, 08:41 AM   #6
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Agree - very different types of experiences so depends on what you want. CM is a lot more inexpensive, more basic fare but good food, its a buffet so not as relaxing, and it's noisy. Cali Grill is more upscale, a lot more expensive, and a more quiet/finer dining type atmosphere. We are strictly casual, not looking for fine dining when we go, so Chef Mickey's appeals more to us. And we don't have kids!
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:56 AM   #7
SouthJersey
Yeah Buddy

My mind is blown that people actually voted for Chef Mickey's in regards to ANYTHING except character interaction.

Chef Mickey's buffet food is inferior to all of the other buffet locations, not to mention the food replenishment is slow and the restaurant is usually a mad house with kids and family's trying to flag down characters, floor was filthy every time we ever went and parents tend to let the kids run wild.

Comparing food, Chef Mickey's vs California Grill, is literally comparing Golden Coral to Flemings, Red Stone, Chart House, etc. In a imagery example, you're comparing hot dogs to caviar
  • 2000 - Off Disney, Holiday Inn Lake Buena Vista
  • 2001 - Port Orleans
  • 2007 - Wilderness Lodge *Favorite!*
  • 2008 - School Senior Trip, Sports Resort, Great Trip!
  • 2010 - Christmas Trip! First Disney trip with the GF and first trip I've booked myself.
  • 2012 - Food and Wine Festival - Wilderness Lodge
  • 2013 - Christmas Trip 2! - Caribbean Beach
Marines 3rd Battalion, 5th Regiment - Dark Horse battalion - of Camp Pendleton
0311 of the United States Marine Corps
2010 NPC NY Metropolitan - 1st Place Amateur Mid-Heavy Weight
2010 NPC NY Metropolitan - 3rd Place Men's Mid-Heavy Weight
SouthJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:14 PM   #8
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthJersey View Post
My mind is blown that people actually voted for Chef Mickey's in regards to ANYTHING except character interaction.

Chef Mickey's buffet food is inferior to all of the other buffet locations, not to mention the food replenishment is slow and the restaurant is usually a mad house with kids and family's trying to flag down characters, floor was filthy every time we ever went and parents tend to let the kids run wild.

Comparing food, Chef Mickey's vs California Grill, is literally comparing Golden Coral to Flemings, Red Stone, Chart House, etc. In a imagery example, you're comparing hot dogs to caviar
Everything you've stated is a matter of opinion, so I'm not sure why your "mind is blown" that people have differing opinions

I do agree that CM is a crazy atmosphere and noisy as well. In our experience, the food was good - of course it's not steak and lobster, but all things considered, it certainly was edible. We never experienced a lack of replenishment either.

OP - these are such drastically different experiences that it's hard to say one way or the other. It depends on the type of family you are and whether you'd appreciate the more upscale experience/food of Cali Grill, or whether you're content with basic American offerings at CM.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:01 PM   #9
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthJersey View Post
you're comparing hot dogs to caviar
thats hilarious! and actually pretty accurate. too funny!

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:26 PM   #10
DisneyFirstTimer10
DIS Veteran

Ok now I researched the Wave and that looks decent too. I give up. Swear I freak out about dining for six months and once we are there its relief because its too late to switch things around for the thousandth time

Allison, David (DH), DS (8), DD (5)

POR-May 2010, OKW- Feb 2011, OKW/AOA- Oct 2013, BLT/AKV-May 2015- First trip as DVC members
DisneyFirstTimer10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: